Should I even come back to this game?

A place to talk about... anything!
Susannah
Tomcat

Should I even come back to this game?

Post by Susannah »

Took a break, came back to try to do promies again, but once again failed because during the hour and a half that we were getting prepared, someone forgot reraise, then party disconnects.

Was just wanting bluemagic in the CoP areas since SE is too retarded to think of thier players. By this I mean making us go through CoP areas to get bluemagic that we can't even use in the CoP areas due to the level caps. Yes I know not all the CoP areas are level capped, but that's not the issue. Yes I understand that SE is a corporation and they want money, all they want is money. But what is being failed to see is, that other MMORPGs are making their players happy, thus getting their X amount each month, and keeping the players there, thus keeping X amount a month.

The trend I'm seeing with FFXI now is, the new players have no incentive except to get to 75 as soon as possible in order to actually be able to play this game, because there is absolutly nothing worthwhile below level 72.

I'm thinking of just deleting my account and leaving for good, since the one job I liked I can't get it to 75 because of not being able to have spells and such that would make me an asset to a party instead of a hinderance.
Seraph Server. Pirate leader of the SkeletonCrew.
August 5, 1958 - May 10, 2006
You never know how much your parents mean to you, until they're gone away. Cherish your time spent, for it may all disappear tomorrow. I miss you momma.
Camu
Big Cat

Post by Camu »

Maybe im wrong but isn't the main goal of any mmorpg is to get to max level for end game? There is an experience in getting to said max level. That is where alot of the fun is suppose to be had. It seems like the whole mind set of most FFXI players is "OMG GET UBER EXP AN HOUR!!!" instead of just leveling and having fun with whatever class setup you have. I don't see how or why not having a certain blue magic spell would keep you from getting to level 75 with Blue Mage. So you don't have a spell, big deal. No reason to quit a whole class all because of a single spell. Well in the case of Ninja its a whole different story. Back before CoP and ToA came out, I was leveling a Warrior using a Spear. Sure some people said "lolspear" but it didn't stop me from leveling.

It seems the whole mind set of this game has gone from having fun leveling while exploring Vana'diel to speed leveling for Dynamis or whatever other end game crap there is. Just level and enjoy the journey from level 1 all the way to level 75.

Take this for what you will. After all this is coming from someone who never got a job passed level 30. Although give me a month and I might finally get a job past 30.
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Hmm, I think your'e "just" running into one of the many frustrations of FFXI, Susannah. Much of FFXI hinges on grouping with other players. Players in FFXI *need* each other. I think this is good. The bad part comes in when you have to corral 6+ highly individualistic people into all doing the same thing at the same time. Scheduling and recruiting in FFXI is a royal pain. More so than in many other MMORPGs because of the pitiful tools SE provides for assisting you in that regard.
Maybe im wrong but isn't the main goal of any mmorpg is to get to max level for end game?
LOL. Everyone has different reasons to play. That's classic "carrot chaser" reason -- always stalking a new goal -- always running over the hill to find the greener grass. The most oposite type is the "rose sniffer". She just wants to hang out with friends. Level? Who cares? I just got another linkpearl!

I'm kinda in-between myself (prolly like 60/40 carot/sniff). I have friends with 6 or more level 75 jobs. Others with multiple 100 craft mules. And still others that have been around just as long and *still* don't have a single level 75 job. They all seem to have fun in game. And, just like you, they ALL get seriously pissed and frustrated when something they want is roadblocked by a bad party.

COP missions, in particular, are notorious for frustration. Groups try to recruit all day and never get off the ground. Others bang their heads against the BC for 5 or 6 deaths and don't win. Sometimes you'll find some great people to do 'em with and it will be amazingly fun. Here's one example I had of a good one: 8-3 my power went out. I was DC for 15m. When I returned, the group was still there! They were killing stuff where I dc'd so I could come back safely without getting attacked and killed. This was a pure pickup group. 5 JP + me (aka {please use the auto-translator}). I couldn't believe they waited. It was really nice of them. We went on to do 8-3 and 8-4 and finish it completely.

If you like the game and you're having fun with your friends, hang in there. It does get better. Promies are often the worst of the bunch. The further you get in COP, the more you'll find people willing to stick it out and stay loyal to even a pickup group. If you can setup a "COP static" with friends, you'd probably just love it. The missions are a blast to do with steadfast group of friends & shellies.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Think there's 5 Sea spells for BLU, which is kinda unfortunately 'cause I think they're all pretty decent. One lets you be in Darkness and another gives you Auto-Refresh for less "points".

If you have any lingering thoughts about staying don't delete your account, just take a break.

I hate CoP, nothing fun about it it's just tedious and needlessly hard. I'd like sea/limbus access so I could get Homam but doubt I'll ever get it :(
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

I added something person to what I wanted to say to Susannah, so I sent it in a PM and will not post it here. However, I'd just like to say that in general you must find something you find fun about FFXI and concentrate on that.

If you can't find anything fun about it, have POL temporarily suspend your account for a month or two (so you're not getting billed.) Then, come back to it. If you still can't find anything fun about it, you may want to consider account deletion. But please, take a temporary break from it first.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

I'm one of those "EXPs? Well maybe if I can't find anything else to do" types.

Some would just /shudder at the thought of not leveling for weeks at a time, for me its normal.

But then again at this rate by the time I get BLU to the 50s I will have Sea access. Being stuck at Mammots for months without ever getting a party, that is a bit frustrating.

My current goals are to cap Dagger and get the Dagger and Sapara of trials over with, to do an ISNM for the egg, see a few different Assualts, and get my AFv2 tights from Dynamiss-Jeuno. Things I would like to do include finish Zillart, get a Mammot party so I can at least get to SEE the darn things, raise a bird, get back to crafting, finish a few quests, and solo THF and NIN to 15 each.

Even though I am but 5K from L 73, leveling is just not on those lists. An interesting party could get me to do it I guess, or one full of friends.

Susannah, if there is nothing here anymore that you think of as fun, perhaps it is time to move on. If there are fun things to do, for heaven's sake do them and stop worrring about other things that aren't.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

have you ever played WoW? would you prefer a server maintenance for 7 hours every week? and then rolling restarts that could instatnly kill your parites you waited hours for? Heck just two days ago we had a server shutdown that took 37 FRIGGIN HOURS. And then they had a restart for an additional 30 mins. And never in FFXI will you ever ask a question and then get the reply "Why don't you look for it noob."

Ive played alot of MMORPG's and let me tell you, FFXI did it right. It's the players who are making the game harder that it has to be....
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

yeah, WoW is worse on player respect like Hawk said, like how it takes a day or some get a GM to respond to you (probably more cause of the amount of people playing, rather than they dont give a sh*t about you). Also WoW is SOOOOO buggy.
Cardian > puppets
[img]http://www.apricotsoft.com/~mimora/star_/ff11/05out1/05out1_006.jpg[/img]
so great being a grey haired Mithra THF
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Is that STILL happening? I played WoW for like 6 months or so right after release. Just chock full of crashes, bugs, release mistakes, poor support, excessive server issues, etc. etc.. Naturaly, back then all the fanbois would leap to Blizzard's defense, "It's NEW. Give 'em a break!" Heh, once I give 'em my money, it better work. It's not hard to make things work. You just need to hire competent engineers; they cost about 2x as much as a game programmer, but they do twice the work in half the time with fewer bugs.

WoW is like a Pier's Anthony novel. Great concepts ruined in execution.
Susannah
Tomcat

Post by Susannah »

I play WoW too, and it's different because you always have the option to solo for XP, crafting goods, money, ETC. and still be in the zone that people are looking for raids/instances/etc. I also don't have a problem with servers going up/down/up/down all the time, but then I'm not on one of the heavy traffic servers.

And I don't see why everyone is ZOMG JAPANESE ARE AWESOME, in my 2-3 years playing I've met two nice ones, the rest are racist against english speakers. Example, partied withone of said good japanese players, it was late so only japanese were seeking for party, we give him leader and he invites, but then disbands with a "English too weak". This happened two more times, even with my friend trying to get them back. Now-a-days they don't even give a chance to english speakers because of the bad seeds that seem to keep popping up more and more. But this isn't a debate over japanese/english, because they are both retarded and racist towards the other.

CoP is the biggest waste of time on FFXI.

And in response to the "take a break" people, I just came back from a break from all my games/forums/websites because of my mother's death. So I think it's time to delete account instead of wasting my money on these games and not getting any where.
You never know how much your parents mean to you, until they're gone away. Cherish your time spent, for it may all disappear tomorrow. I miss you momma.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

To each is own. I know one thing. WoW is a joke. I got lvl 40 in two weeks. Its just like giving kids candy...

And yeah FFXI is a pain in the butt. I will not lie. And yeah the JP's and americains flaming each other is retarded. But you know what? even if CoP is a waste of time. Everytime I complete a Mission, I drink a Root Beer and celebrate for the hard work.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

Susannah, where did you get that avatar from?, i have seen it before on livejournal
Cardian > puppets
[img]http://www.apricotsoft.com/~mimora/star_/ff11/05out1/05out1_006.jpg[/img]
so great being a grey haired Mithra THF
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

wasting my money on these games and not getting any where
Games never really "get anywhere". You can feel a sense of accomplishment for reaching a personal goal playing them, but nothing you do in a game is a real accomplishment. It's an escape. The only thing you might gain from playing are some friends and then only if you take 'em with you from game to game or into RL.

Your money is buying fun (hopefully). Ah well, COP missions are a bitch for everyone. Persevere if it feels worth it to you -- you'll get past 'em eventually. The universal truth about COP is that you will feel soooo glad when you finish. :wink:
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

I have had good experiences with the Japanese I have partied with, but I am mage clean clear through and more invitable than melees. The thing I like about the Japanese is they have a different way of doing things.

I have built parties with a mixed crew, and also have had Japanese replacements start to be a majority of the party. Those always function like normal EXP parties though. I have had them not answer but have never been turned down rudely.

The two most awesome parties I have been in are 1, American in my first year L 16 -19 Worms, and 2, Japanese, level 56? 58? in the lower reaches of Kuftal Tunnel. They were awesome not because of the EXPs, but because I learned so much.

You can cancel your account, not pay and reopen it and get your character back as late as a year, and there is the anual Return campagin that can go back even further.

:oops: Did you want to know that? :oops:
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Susannah
Tomcat

Post by Susannah »

I've put things into perspective, well some things.
And after a good cry, I'm going to start playing the game, instead of working on it.

Time to go hunt for rainbows instead of NMs.

EDIT:
I got my avatar from 4chan long, long time ago.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I had a nice party yesterday, 4 JP players but I'd say at least 3 understood English quite well.

The NIN did a good Jin and I said, "Jin, sugoi." She said thanks then they talked to each other in kana ending in 'w', could just tell they're laughing at my Japanese :lol:
The RDM would always say, "11 nice." When I rolled it on Evoker's, once I replied with, "domo arigatou gozaimasu," and he said, "{Japanese}{All right!}w" hehe it made me grin.

Anyways it's good that you're not quitting (yet) :) I wouldn't worry about Sea spells until BLU is 70 :)
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

One of the things I know has helped me is the fact I love to rp. In my opinion, if you view the character from more of a 1st person point of view(as in I am Eviticus) rather then third(I play Eviticus), each victory is sweeter.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Eviticus wrote:One of the things I know has helped me is the fact I love to rp. In my opinion, if you view the character from more of a 1st person point of view(as in I am Eviticus) rather then third(I play Eviticus), each victory is sweeter.
Way true. :2thumb:

Yukira
Feral Cat

Post by Yukira »

Hurray for RP = teh win!

Yuki-chan starts casting....

Yuki-chan does 10 points of cuteness damage to Tsybil!
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Karou thinks your nuts. Karou wants fish now. Karou's semi-drunk.... Karou needs a life besides work :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Actually, I find it a lot easier to RP when I think of my character as a totally different (but real) person. I drop out of character pretty quick once I start thinking of it as "me".

For instance, Oku loves to terrorize taru -- kneading her claws into them and making them *squeak*. Comes from growing up in the Mithra ghetto in Windurst, I suppose. *I*, on the other hand, would never harm a hair on one of the lil' kneebiter's pinheaded scalps. Not even if they flutter their ears winsomely at me.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Should I even come back to this game?

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Should I even come back to this game?

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting