Here's a question that won't result in a massive flame war.

A place to talk about... anything!
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Here's a question that won't result in a massive flame war.

Post by Keavy »

Well, I hope it won't, anyways.

So here it is. My friend asked and I couldn't come up with an answer so I ask you all: What kind of cat is a Mithra anyways? Like, is the cat part Cougar, Lion, Bobcat?
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

GAAAAHHHHH *FLAME FLAME TROLL FLAME*

j/k

I have no clue, seeing as not all mithra look the same...
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Another question that has repeatedly come up is: Where exactly does a Mithra's tail start? I always have said the posterior of Lumbar region of the spine is the base of the tail with the tail consisting of the Sacral and Coccyx regions of the spine.

Speaking in human anatomical terms, of course. I am not familiar with animal anatomy and I imagine that human anatomy would better fit since the Mithra is human-like.

P.S. Coccyx is the correct use of the term because their is no plural form since the Coccyx is a single piece forming the terminal end of the human spine.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

In which cat speices do the young start out with tufty tails then loose the tufts?

That would be the closest one.

But we are not related to any earth cat speices. None have our truly abysmal male / female ratio. It is easier to find an unattached male in Washington DC than to find a male mithra. And finding an unattached male in Washington DC is HARD.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

That's an interesting point. Mithra children have a bit of a tuft at the end, like a lion. But adult mithra lack that little fuzz on the end of the tail, more like a domestic housecat.

And in other news, Gobbue have 192 visible teeth.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I don't think SE made mithra with any particular cat in mind :oops:

I didn't think it was actual bones in the tail but I was wrong :lol:

Looking at the skeleton of a cat it seems like the tail is an extention of the vertibrae, which is connected to the ilium (connects to the legs).

Comparing that to the human skeleton, our vertibrae connects to the pelvis, much the same way a cat's connects to the ilium, one could assume the vertibrea can be extended out and made into a tail.

If we look at a monkey's skeleton can see their tail extends out from the base of their spine just like a cat's and we are (arguably) descendants from monkeys.

Dr. Su has spoken :lol: the tail starts where the spine ends :)
Tianshii
Mad Cat

Post by Tianshii »

:?:
Seeing as how I am bored at work I thought I would look into this...
On the tail subject:
The tail consists of a varying number of vertebrae called “caudal” vertebrae, voluntary muscle, and ligaments and tendon to hold it all together. The tail attaches to the body at an area called “the tail head.” The first caudal vertebra attaches to a special backbone called “the sacrum” which connects the tail and lower back (“lumbar”) vertebrae.
The spinal cord itself does not extend down this far (it typically ends at the level of the fifth lumbar vertebra) so that injuries to the tail do not damage the spinal cord.
For complete information on the above, check here:
http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_ca ... tails.html
:?:
That got me curious on how SE made the cat/Mithra connection...
Doing a quick search using "Mithra", the common image is:
Doesn't look like a kitty :| I believe this is Mithra sacrificing a bull.
More hunting got me this:
Etymology
The proto-Indo-Iranian word *mitra- could mean either "covenant, contract, oath, or treaty", or "friend". A general meaning of "alliance" might adequately explain both alternatives.

In Zoroastrianism, Mithra came into increased prominence as a major entity in the hierarchy of Angels as one of the protectors of human welfare.
While in older Zoroastrianism Mithra is seen as a creation of Ahura Mazda, in later Persian culture, Mithra evolved to be an incarnation of Ahura Mazda [citation needed], and in his role as 'Judge of Souls' as the rewarder of good and annihilator of the bad. Mithra was seen as omniscient, undeceivable, infallible, eternally watchful, and never-resting.
This got me giggling:
Popular culture
'Mithra' are also a race of cat-people found in the MMORPG Final Fantasy XI.
:lol:

for the complete info the above, check here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mithra

I haven't been able to link Mithra with cat... but I swear I once saw a painting of Mithra being depicted as a tiger-type. I'll keep searching!! :P
Meantime, I the information I found was pretty interesting at least :)
Assassen Summoner
[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o233/PuszNboots/sigs/Tianshii_this.jpg[/img]
SMN75~SAM75~whm75~thf42~DNC38~drg33
Sakino
Big Cat

Post by Sakino »

The god Mithra has been protrayed with a head of a lion. I guess that's where SE made the connection. Mithra is the god of light and truth.
In fact, one of the most famous examples of this motif is a Mithraic stone carving showing the so-called "lion-headed god," whose image is often found in Mithraic temples, standing on a globe that is marked with the cross representing the two circles of the zodiac and the celestial equator.
Ph33r th3 b4rd!

[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4166/131035531942hl.gif[/img]

"Wealth is an illusion, power is fleeting, but tuna... tuna is REAL!" - Brynmor of Phoenix
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Shiva is a male in Hindu (If memory serves) culture so SE isn't always dead-on.

As for the cat's tail I believe the same is true with the Coccyx.

Sorry, I'm in Anatomy and Physiology and I'm looking for any opportunity to use my knowledge. Which is why I love CSI:
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

In Roman times Mithraism was the most common religon in the legions. It is said by many historians, that were Roman Mithraism NOT limited to males only, it could easily be the dominant religon today instead of Christanity.

Despite a BA in History, I know little else about Roman Mithraism.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Tsybil wrote: Despite a BA in History, I know little else about Roman Mithraism.
Well I have a BSc in Comp Sci and I know sweet FA about programming :lol:

That's quite interesting about the mithra original, maybe if you looked up "misura" or "misra" you might find something as that's the literal translation and pronounciation (respectively) in Japanese.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Here's a question that won't result in a massive flame war.

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Here's a question that won't result in a massive flame war.

Post by xaresity »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт