Need some general crafting advice

A place to talk about... anything!
Sirc
Tomcat

Need some general crafting advice

Post by Sirc »

When I first started FFXI I thought crafting was kind of stupid and interested me not at all. About a week ago I got kinda bored and was looking for something to pass some time besides gil farming. The Bonecraft guild in Windy is right next to the AH and I had a bunch of gil in my pocket, so......

Now I am thoroughly hooked on crafting. I made my first bone mask yesterday and actually shouted "YES!" out loud. (Fortunately no one was around at the time. :P )

I have some initial questions for our LS crafters, and more will be coming:

1. I get special satisfaction out of crafting when I use items that I farm myself. So I guess it's time to start leveling THF. Take a peek at my sig and tell me which job would be the best sub for THF.

2. Bonecrafting requires skills in other crafts (I'm sure it's the same for all crafts). Sheep leather seems to be used quite a bit. So I'll no doubt be making frequent runs to Sandy to beat up sheep (and join the Leatherworkers guild which I think is there). I need to know where to get maps to all of the different cities.

3. To the bonecrafters: bone chips seem to be a universal ingrediant. So far the few I've ever gotten were from the occasional passing skeleton. What is the most efficient way to farm bone chips?

Thanks for your help! :)
Last edited by Sirc on Fri Jun 11, 2004 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sirc [Rank 2] - Lvl 25 MNK, 15 WAR, 15 THF
Meeyutu
Housecat

Post by Meeyutu »

1) I'd say Monk sub and use H2H weapons. Thief can use these pretty well and even better with a monk sub. If you want to level your sword or dagger skills switch to WAR. Personally I would go MNK for the HP and evasion bonus and of course you won't end up being the "back up tank".

2) At one time or another most crafts intersect either with needing skilling in more than one craft, or the ingreadients needed for a synth.. it's good to give them all some attention. For the maps I think I bought all mine at the tent in the center of Windy Woods.

3) Kill lots of skeletons, then kill some more. The ruins outside of Windy have them, and I think the tomb outside Sandy does too. Not sure what level you would need to be to farm at the begining of Gusgen but I know as WHM38 I could cut them down pretty well.

I hope this helps.. oh and if you want a good skill up (I think till 17) make bone rings -- Bone Chip + Sheep Tooth + Wind Crystal. Can't make much money off them but really with Bone crafting you're looking at 50 before you can make any kind of gil off it.
Sirc
Tomcat

Post by Sirc »

Meeyutu wrote:3) Kill lots of skeletons, then kill some more. The ruins outside of Windy have them, and I think the tomb outside Sandy does too. Not sure what level you would need to be to farm at the begining of Gusgen but I know as WHM38 I could cut them down pretty well.
Skeletons seem to be rather rare in Saru. Is there a particular ruins entrance that has more than others?

What about Choco digging? Is this worth the time and expense? There always seems to be a good supply of bonechip stacks at the AH in Windy. There's got to be some sort of secret to getting them.
Sirc [Rank 2] - Lvl 25 MNK, 15 WAR, 15 THF
Meeyutu
Housecat

Post by Meeyutu »

I think it's down inside the ruins at the top right hand side of the E. Saru map. There is a seceret door in the ruins and a spot where 7-8 weak skeletons spawn.

As for chocobo digging I can't really say.. All I know of it is that there are "hidden skill levels" (or so people claim). I think there's a link for chocobo digging info at http://somepage.com/ffxi

Readlly though training up mobs then slaughtering them is a pretty well proven tactic for getting materials.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Excavation in Taharongi canyon will get bones. Pickaxes & field gear.

If you have not dug with Chocobos before, the AH is cheaper by far. Chocobo digging is a hidden guild, and you will go through a LOT of greenery before it will show a profit. Or even many bones.

Blacksmithing, goldsmithing, and wood seem to be the most often used sub crafts.

Good recipie lists:

http://mysterytour.web.infoseek.co.jp/f ... index.html

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/guilds.html
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Phelisia
Kitten

Post by Phelisia »

there's a lot of ghouls in the back portion of a tower that's north of giddeus, but those aren't "farmable" till 41ish as a mnk... and even then... it's still touchy... other than that, in e saru the ruins in the middle have a total of seven to eight bone spawns. to get to it, go in, take the first available right, then go through the cracked wall, stay heading right, and you'll get to them, they also drop a 8-10k dagger, but that's a low drop rate, but still a nice bonus to help fund crafting and leather will be your primary "subskill" but you will eventually need some of pretty much all the crafts... to make everything
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Need some general crafting advice

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Need some general crafting advice

Post by xaresity »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт