Learn how to spell. For the love of god! /rant

A place to talk about... anything!
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Learn how to spell. For the love of god! /rant

Post by Keavy »

I don't know if it is just me, but have you noticed the rampant rise in the inability of people to spell even the most common words? Yeah, I do misspell words every now and again because /shock...I am not perfect! I know Modern English is a difficult language to master and has numerous rules that contradict themselves and has a lot of words that sound alike and even look alike that have radically different meanings (Principle and Principal for example) but if you misspell words that most of us learn in grammar school or use the improper form (Like "your an idiot" instead of "you're an idiot") that shows me that you either spend far too much time playing video games or the honor roll at your school is the same as the roster of the student body. *Insert "No Child Left Behind" joke here*

This bothers me because I am proud of who I am and part of that is my nationality. I hear these news stories about how more people can name the cast of "The Simpsons" than can name the rights guaranteed to us in the constitution. Even the fact that they had to dumb down "Jeopardy" sickens me. We, as a nation are becoming stupid at an exponential rate and before long all we'll be good for is watching "American Idol" and drooling on ourselves.

For the love of god, take your education seriously. I really don't want to see "1984" become a reality.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Keavy, I just cannot spell. The gramar parts like "your an idiot" instead of "you're an idiot" come easy, but things such as "l"s and "ll"s are still difficult.

Thanks to spell checkers I have gotten much better in the last 15 years, but it is still bad. I do so wish there were spell checkers on more forums. This one for one.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

I'll let tricky words slide, but stuff like, well... those homophones you mentioned like there, their, and they're are just laziness. Same goes with shortening "you", "for", and "are". I think "U" irks me the most for some reason...
Althaia
Tomcat

Post by Althaia »

:?:

Well, spelling and intelligence aren't necessarily related, but if I had a choice I'd choose having everyone have trouble with spelling and being really smart rather than having everyone possess (and execute) perfect spelling and grammar knowledge while being as dumb as a brick.

They dumbed down "Jeopardy?" Geez, that's bad... Yeah, I'm concerned about the rate at which the average American's intelligence is declining... but sometimes, in video games, people mispell only because they're lazy or are experiencing lag. Meh, I try to let it slide.

I just wish everyone (outside of battle or extreme stress) would always use proper spelling and grammar -- and forget the Internet shorthand! kthxbai <--- cry. Sigh.
~[url=http://adventuresalthaia.blogspot.com/]Alth Aaiaa: Bio and Music[/url]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Astragem14/CharGallery/MithraPrideSig.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.bismarckcommunity.com/]Member of the Bismarck Server Community[/url]
Yukira
Feral Cat

Post by Yukira »

Heeeh, there should be cause for concern when foreigners write better english than native-speakers. :lol:

Just kidding. I know what you mean Keavy. :)
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Re: Learn how to spell. For the love of god! /rant

P. S.
Keavy wrote:I really don't want to see "1984" become a reality.
Oh.... way too late.

"You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time." - Abraham Lincon.

"You can fool enough of the people enough of the time." - Ronald Regan.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sylphine
Tomcat

Post by Sylphine »

I didn't know there is a problem like this since English is not my mother-tongue. :o

Hope those who have this problem got over it soon! :)
Sylphine on Titan Server...

[url=http://www.mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Sylphine]More Info[/url]

Aw...after 50 leveling becomes more difficult now........
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

"But where others are instructed in their native language, English people aren't" - Prof. Henry Higgins, My Fair Lady.

That goes double for Americans.

We have this education problem in America. By a broad bipartsan ballance, our elective bodies spend our education funds on anything but actual education.

The Democrats, secure in the knowlege that teachers just ain't gonna vote Republican, are fond of building schools, even where a surplus of classrooms exists. This is to get campagin contributions from Construction Industries, and votes from building trade workers.

Republicans, at least the leaders if not the voters, all send their children to private schools. They are determined that their kids WILL get a better education than your kids and they innatley understand the zero sum game. They don't want to spend one cent educating other people's kids. If they can't cut the school budget, they will disperse it on testing, security, and accoutants.

In the meantime, while study after study says that teachers loose the ability to control their classes when the class size goes beyond 17 to 21 depending on the study, our average class size has grown to ~35. :roll:

Takara2011
Kitten

Post by Takara2011 »

Hmm.. Spell check on forums and stuff would be quite helpful...
:D
[img]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/tora20/chibirukku2.gif[/img]
Arat
Windurstrian Goddess of Randomness, Typos, and Mistells
THF54 | WHM33| BLM26 | NIN25 | DRG15 | WAR12 | SMN10 | MNK9 | BLU8 | PUP7 |COR17
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

Hukt awn fonix werkt 4 mee!
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Pluffy
Kitten

Post by Pluffy »

Lawl o rly. :D

Hehe, kidding. One time in a party I didn't even know what one guy was saying. No joke. Made things very frustrating for the first hour...then I just decided to ignore it, since everyone else was too. o_O;
[img]http://i19.photobucket.com/albums/b195/PluffyStuff/pluffysignature390.png[/img]
[color=deeppink]
[u]Pluffy[/u]
San d'Orian Kitty <3
War: 20
Thf: 13
Rdm: 6
[/color]
Takara2011
Kitten

Post by Takara2011 »

I've got a friend who seriously could use some spelling lessons...
Here's an example: Wont

At first, I took it as "won't," but I later realized that he meant "want."
-_-; I really want to correct him sometimes.. Okay all of the time.. But for whatever reason, I don't.
[img]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j247/tora20/chibirukku2.gif[/img]
Arat
Windurstrian Goddess of Randomness, Typos, and Mistells
THF54 | WHM33| BLM26 | NIN25 | DRG15 | WAR12 | SMN10 | MNK9 | BLU8 | PUP7 |COR17
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

I have trouble with big words :p and sometimes I do things like "tihs" instead of "this" and all words like that :p ...... but I have ADD and slight dislexia (that forgetfull brain thingy) ... I know that is not spelled right -.- and on top of that I am absent minded....*sigh* now that I think about it, I am really messed up in the head area ^.^
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Holydragoon
Big Cat

Post by Holydragoon »

Not to be insulting to Kailea in any way, so please don't take this wrong. Your post just reminded me of it. =)

Have you ever noticed that everyone has a reason to explain why people can't spell, or take the time to converse like a normal human being. There seem to be so many different mental diseases in existence; you could find 5 for everyone on the planet at least. I worry it's just an out for people sometimes. Oh hey I have mental deficiencies so it's ok if I'm an idiot.

Again, not saying anyone here is in this category, because I don't know you all enough in reality to make that kind of judgment. Any thoughts or am I way off?

Edited for Spelling ironically =)
Last edited by Holydragoon on Sat Mar 04, 2006 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Hehe interesting point Holy :)

There's a difference between typos, mispellings, bad grammar and laziness. I'll let laziness slide in general even though I don't like it, typos happen to everyone so I don't care... mispellings of hard words sure but of easy ones... no :P and bad grammar really pisses me off to no end.

It is the "your" instead of "you're", if you were being lazy you'd use "ur" so there's no excuse for it. Same for "there", "their" and "they're"... it's quite simple why can't people learn it? Ugh those things piss me off so much :x
Other stuff I may just ignore or cringe at but I just can't let people get away with such bad grammar :evil:

O RLY? YA RLY! NO WAI! :lol:

Edit: Also internet abbreviations that seem pointless to me just make me laugh at the stupidity. For instance someone said "gr8t" instead of "great"... so you've cut down a 5 letter word into a 4 letter word, that has saved you so much time! Probably cost them more time to use the number instead of just using letters too and ontop of that they didn't abbreviate it "properly", it should be "gr8" :roll:
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Holydragoon wrote:Not to be insulting to Kailea in any way, so please don't take this wrong. Your post just reminded me of it. =)

Have you ever noticed that everyone has a reason to explain why people can't spell, or take the time to converse like a normal human being. There seem to be so many different mental diseases in existance, you could find 5 for everyone on the planet at least. I worry it's just an out for people sometimes. Oh hey I have mential deficiencies (sp?) so it's ok if I'm an idiot.

Again, not saying anyone here is in this category, because I don't know you all enough in reality to make that kind of judgement. Any thoughts or am I way off?
yeah I understand what you are saying :p I get the feeling that people dont belive me sometimes, and thats fine, but I hated takeing Aderal X most of my school life -.- I got off the pills and I am trying to go with out it, its been 4 years since I have taken one pill, and I am starting to wonder if I should take it again -.-
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Holydragoon wrote:Not to be insulting to Kailea in any way, so please don't take this wrong. Your post just reminded me of it. =)

Have you ever noticed that everyone has a reason to explain why people can't spell, or take the time to converse like a normal human being. There seem to be so many different mental diseases in existance, you could find 5 for everyone on the planet at least. I worry it's just an out for people sometimes. Oh hey I have mential deficiencies (sp?) so it's ok if I'm an idiot.

Again, not saying anyone here is in this category, because I don't know you all enough in reality to make that kind of judgement. Any thoughts or am I way off?
I have a friend who is a textbook example of that. Every flaw of his has an excuse. He's a bad student because he was traumatized by his parent's divorce so he developed a severe depression and some interaction in the medication caused a brain disorder that left him mildly retarded.

He's also morbidly obese which causes him to have severe ankle and knee problems. So severe in fact that he can't exercise and he's so big that Gastric Bypass is out of the question. Oh, and I'm sure his weight is somehow related to something and all of this makes him unable to work so the government gives him money.

It all seems to me to be an easy way out for people. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if people are making up diseases and disorders just to get on the "Free money" bandwagon. I once heard a talk radio personality mention a name for these people that I think fits perfectly: Victicrats. Combination of victim and aristocrat. The basic attitude is "Life dealt me a bad hand so give me money and expect little, if anything out of me while I try to cope."

People like the victicrats make me sick because there are people who are in legitimate need of assistance who may not be able to access the help they need or maybe limited on the amount they get because of the leeches.

As for the schools needing more money, out of all the industrialized nations, the U.S. spend the most per child on education yet are among the worst when it comes to performance of our students on international standardized tests. Think about that next time a school bond measure appears on the ballot.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Keavy wrote: As for the schools needing more money, out of all the industrialized nations, the U.S. spend the most per child on education yet are among the worst when it comes to performance of our students on international standardized tests. Think about that next time a school bond measure appears on the ballot.
Ummmm.... We don't.

We may have the biggest education budgets / student but we spend it on frivolities not education.

New buildings, studies, tests, lunch, soccer balls, guards and security, and, of course, administrative overhead.

In Norway the entire administrative staff of any school is a full time secratary and a 1/2 time principal 1/2 time teacher.

In all European countries the school nurse is paid from the Universal Healthcare budget, not the education budget.

-----------

Once while I was in my melee kitty, who has not one EXP on any mage job, a LS member said, "Can't anyone here SPELL?" Instant reply, "Strrraight melee, can't spell at all." :lol:

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Keavy wrote:It all seems to me to be an easy way out for people. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if people are making up diseases and disorders just to get on the "Free money" bandwagon. I once heard a talk radio personality mention a name for these people that I think fits perfectly: Victicrats. Combination of victim and aristocrat. The basic attitude is "Life dealt me a bad hand so give me money and expect little, if anything out of me while I try to cope."
I'm on the "Free money" bandwagon :lol: thank you job seeker's allowance :P Took me 6 months to get 'cause the retards put me on the wrong type and said I didn't qualify for any money and didn't tell me about the other type of allowance which I should have been on that I am now currently on... :oops:

Kinda wondered from the topic a bit :lol:
Meowmixer
Tomcat

Post by Meowmixer »

Keavy wrote:I really don't want to see "1984" become a reality.
You want to know something worse that happened in 1984? On Dec. 3rd, 1984, there was a chemical spill in Bhopal, India, killing thousands and injuring hundreds. Only reason I know that is because it's my birthday >.> I understand it wasn't what you were getting at, but I have to say it when someone sais "1984."
Holydragoon wrote:Oh hey I have mental deficiencies so it's ok if I'm an idiot.
/Sigh. Those are the lazy fatass bastards that need to be wiped off the face of the earth ;) I'll admit, I'm not the brightest, in fact I was a special needs kid when I was in school. But I'm not lazy enough to lie and cover my lazyness with a disease. They just don't want to deal with their problems and come up with excuses to get out of it.

Btw, when you have a mental disorder, like lets say ADD, ADHD, or a Learning Disability, you're already branded as an idiot. When you're told several times that you're stupid, you're an idiot, ect.. especially when you're young, it stays with you because when you are young it leaves an impression in your mind. It stays inside your head for the rest of your life if you are not able to deal with it. That later in life, really lowers self-esteem, and that does effect how one educates themself. Later upon my schooling, I've actually run into other kids with the same illness as me, saying "I'm stupid!" because they can't get a simple math problem. Actually, I've seen kids with real illnesses that really can't spell. So we really shouldn't put blame on them because their are people that work with them, and watch over them every day, helping them learn at a much lower speed than the rest of us.

Now, these days are sad days to live in. Everybody has some sort of illness to call their own. Everybodies depressed.. everybodies mentally retarded, everybodies lazier than the last person. Half those people aren't depressed, they just don't want to deal with their problems. Yeah, it's the easy way out of their own problems, so guess what, go show them the door that leads to the hard way. That would be best for humanity IMO. People aren't motivated to learning anymore. Self gratification is no longer a good enough reward to learn. Now, we want more. We want cars, video game consoles, physical objects of possession/obsession. And that angers me. Being presented with the chance to be an educated individual should be a reward in itself enough to get off your fat ass and do something with your life. So you know what I'm going to do right now? I'm gona get off my fat ass and do something. I'm gona go eat lunch! :lol:

I fucking hate slow drivers, ya know, the people that have to drive 5-10 below the speed limit, so you know what I'm gona do? You know those bumpers that cops have on their cars? I'm putting those on my cars and I'm gona run over them so I can get somewhere on time for once. *hint*

I got carried away ^.^ You may or may not agree with what I say, but that's not the issue here.
[img]http://www.sheep.physicsisbroken.com/Theadrinsig3.jpg[/img]

"When the sun sets, the hunt begins"

Theadrin / lvl 53 sam/ 31 war / 31 thf / 18 nin / 12 rng /37 mnk ~ Rank 5

Meowmixer / 13 war / 9 thf/ 7 mnk / ~ Rank 2
Eldela
Kitten

Post by Eldela »

:?: I must say that I'm very good at spelling and such, and misspelled words and 'improper' english kind of irk me....but after being on this game, I had to condition myself to the point that chatspeak no longer bothers me. Yes, it's lazy, but I'm not going crazy anymore watching people type OMFG Uber 1337ness and other bs like that. I choose to ignore it, and I sometimes find it funny. When I lag, it's often more convenient for me to use chatspeak simply because I type about 70wpm and when you're lagging, half of the letters you type are left out. So instead of me typing "PraetorianGuard" over and over again trying to put back letters and while i'm deleting, it deletes too many because of lag i put "PG" and be lazy about it :P more about convenience to me. However, America is getting lazy and dumb....for god's sake....we have remote controlled fans and there's some kind of delivery for damned near EVERYTHING.
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/aoi_neko/FFXI%20images/ITGMAiyume.jpg[/img]
MNK33 WHM25 SAM17 BRD19 BLM15 SMN11 WAR8
All else lvl 1 hehe
BST unlocked ^_^ RSE: 1/4 *waves fist angrily at Ordelle mobs*
Althaia
Tomcat

Post by Althaia »

We have remote-controlled fans? :?:
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v712/Astragem14/CharGallery/MithraPrideSig.jpg[/img]
[url=http://www.bismarckcommunity.com/]Member of the Bismarck Server Community[/url]
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

That was the first thing I thought of as well. XD
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Eldela wrote:...... there's some kind of delivery for damned near EVERYTHING.
As a former New Yorker, I am happy the rest of the country is FINALY catching up.

In New York City, there has ALWAYS been delivery for EVERYTHING. Pizza, groceries, tailored clothing, electronics, boas both feathered and constrictors, and mice for the latter live or frozen. Whatever you can name, a recorseful New Yorker can have delivered.

If you are REAL good, you can get most anything delivered at a discount there. :lol:

Eldela
Kitten

Post by Eldela »

LOL yep there's remote controlled fans XD umm check Sharper Image...i believe they have some
[img]http://i46.photobucket.com/albums/f135/aoi_neko/FFXI%20images/ITGMAiyume.jpg[/img]
MNK33 WHM25 SAM17 BRD19 BLM15 SMN11 WAR8
All else lvl 1 hehe
BST unlocked ^_^ RSE: 1/4 *waves fist angrily at Ordelle mobs*
Althaia
Tomcat

Post by Althaia »

...and so I am reminded that another problem in America is the rising obesity rate. :lol:
xaresity
Queen Cat

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Post by xaresity »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт