Experinces in Promy

A place to talk about... anything!
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Experinces in Promy

Post by Eviticus »

Having just done my first Promyvion run, I'd like to share a few things I learned. A couple things that had I known in advance, would have saved me a bit of gil and let me be a bit more effective.

First, the run to the spire. I hope you're good at Metal Gear Solid or other such games, because with swarms of IT++ aggro by true sight monsters that -love- to link on your ass, you're gonna have to to alot of stealth dashing about. Behold us mighty adventurers, sneaking around....yeah...

As a Blm, I went all out. I've never done a Promy before, and had only a vauge idea of what to bring. First off, snag a Reraiser or reraise earring or whatever. Perhaps both for good measure. 3k gil for a reraiser? {Yes, please.} Cheap insurance policy that saved our entire run.

Yagudo Drinks: Yes
Melon Pies: Yes
Echo Drops: Yes
Ethers: Only if you're richer then the Archduke himself. I popped a 13k Hi-Ether, not knowing it's effect. Got something like 50 or 60 mp.....wtf? I popped off a Stone II from that Hi-ether and did 36 damge, mostly resisted. Not worth it if you're on any kind of budget. Yag drinks are way cheaper and the same effectiveness over time.

Mama, don't let your kittens grow up to be Blm. The setup was War/nin, Nin/war, Whm, Blm, Sam, Rng. Being the almight Blm who has 700k in gear, I was fairly confident of my ability to nuke some critters. Sad thing is with very high INT and capped {Elemental Magic}, Empty mobs -love- to resist your nukes down to 10% damage. Fire after Fire doing 30 damage, with the occasional 60, was making me cry. The Nin was out-damaging me if you counter her WS's.

Good thing is, though, we can chain nuke the enitre fight. At least, that was my experince on Dem. Always have yag drink active. Nuke untill you're out of mp, {Manafont}. By the time your 2hr is up, the mp you regained from the drink while under the 2hr should be enough to carry you though the rest of the fight. My advice too, don't cast anything but your highest level spell and the spell they are weak to, which for me on Dem was Stone II and Fire. Stone II got an occasional triple digit damage number, and Fire was fairly reliable. Also, Hystero and Terror anima's are godsends, farm one before heading in.

When you're dropping cash down onto the AH for consumables, and you know there's still a fair chance the boss will wipe you, just keep your eye on the prize.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Promyvions don't have to cost a lot of gil,
As for running through them, stealth is one of the most important issues.
The bosses themselfves can be made punchingbags, no really they can.

Get a group and don't rush to the boss right away.
Get your group to take a few extra hours and farm reccolections of pain and guilt from the easy pray mobs on floor 1.
Have every partymember have at least one pain.
Go back to Ru'Lude Gardens and talk to Harith in the house behind the palace.
Trade him the reccolection + 2000 gil and he will make Anima.
Pain makes Hysteroanima which makes the boss stop doing his special for 30 seconds.
Guilt makes Psychoanima that makes the boss stop attacking with regular attacks for 30 seconds. (It intimidates like a killer effect)

All right the party is set to destroy a boss,
Head to the spire and set up an anima chain, make the group macro them in with a text + <call> in the partychat like "Hysteroanima {Just used it} next up <name>"

Have the least active member (mostly a smn or blm) time the animas and notice the party when to use the next.

If done in good order the boss will go down very easy with no trouble at all.

Saving gil @ promyvion fights.
Mages instead of ethers use muslum, they give 10 MP each, are stackable, are used very quickly instead of Ethers and don't medicate you.
(A whm using an ether with the tank almost dead is not good)
Buy Melon juices at the Jueno tavern instead of Yagudo drinks at AH.

Melee, don't go on sushi but on str food (Mithkabobs) buy some Au laits for regen to save the whm MP.

Reraise: you can buy a reraiser @ AH for gil but you can also dish out 500 Conquest points and get a reraise scroll for 0 gil.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

If you think prommys are fun just you wait till the aquaducts :lol:

You can probably win every prommy boss with only a couple hystero, problem is they always spam their specials when nearly dead which makes them a must or if you have a SMN their 2hr does big damage (like 1/3 of their hp).

Looking at that setup you had it isn't exactly ideal ^^; WAR/NIN is preferable over NIN as they take hits better and do better damage. Generally melee DDs aren't wanted due to the boss running around a lot but if you have anima doesn't really matter.

Don't be afraid to Leeroy that final run to the spire if you're close enough, just make sure your WHM doesn't get aggro :)

Also go get the key items for the ENMs, since you're going there anyway getting 3K easy exp and possibly (but probably not) a nice expensive earring is a nice bonus :) Do the ENM first as the prommy will boot you out and make sure the WHM has reraise on.
Chaoskitten21
Feral Cat

Post by Chaoskitten21 »

my promy experiences have been good and bad.bad until i discovered the awesome little items called anima.they make promy bosses so much f***in easier.MP Phoenix always does promy with every member having all 3 anima or else its a no go.we swear by it and have not had a single wipe.
Something wicked this way comes!
Mithra Dark Knight of MithraPride Phoenix Division
[url=http://imageshack.us][img]http://img414.imageshack.us/img414/3020/chaoskitten19no.jpg[/img][/url]
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

Promy.. i remember that...

For Dem and Holla. we had War/nin, 2x Rng/nin, 2x Smn/whm, Whm/smn in the party and took the mega boss down quickly

In Mea.. it was a lil tougher with that setup.. so we dropped the one smn/whm for a whm/smn and had both the whm switch out healing the tank.

Its not as bad as everyone said it was originally... but blm is definatly 2nd class to smn in promy all because of our 2hr.
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

MP members made up half of our Promyvion assault team, and all of us smart kitties had farmed Anima's before hand. Problem is, the person who told us what they did mixed up a couple of them. >.<; So instead of using a Hystero, I used Terror.

Hey, why can't I hit it? It's running around like a scared little girl and.....oh crap, wrong one. >.<

Anyways, yeah, I just need to get through the last two, finish getting Blm to 37, and then I'm done with that. If someone wants my help in Promyvion, they can have it with me as a melee, cause I feel useless as a Blm. Also I have a pretty penny in Blm gear which I want back. ^.^

But yeah, I read a guide to the entire CoP expansion the other day. Everything from Promyvion to Promathia itself. And -good freakin' lord- is CoP huge.... >.<; Might as well wait till I'm 70 to go much further into it..
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Eviticus wrote: But yeah, I read a guide to the entire CoP expansion the other day. Everything from Promyvion to Promathia itself. And -good freakin' lord- is CoP huge.... >.<; Might as well wait till I'm 70 to go much further into it..
Yes, that statement is correct.
The entire CoP storyline is indeed huge.
I found that for example Chapter 3 of CoP was just as long as Zilart mission 8-13 with all the cutscenes added etc.

As for Chapter 5, I fear that one.
As far as I heard this one is as long as all the Zilarts put together if not longer.

But if you get the promyvions out of the way prepare for much harder battles then before.
Phomiuna Aquaducts is easy But Riverne site #A01 is no joke and needs overpreparing.

I do advise people to lvl more then one job to at least lvl 60 if they want to do CoP.
Because at some mission BCNMs some jobclasses are completely useless.
(No offence to the jobclasses themselves)
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Hehe yeah those things in Rivine Site #A01 are harsh, I'd definately advise 3 NINs to tank each one, their accuracy is quite poor but changes to BLM mode with ga spells and the mode with a sword attacks super fast even with the odd miss will eat through those shadows quickly :)

The whole of the CoP stuff is all pretty much level capped, yes? I think the highest cap is lv50 but not too sure.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Chapter 1: lvl 30
Chapter 2-3: lvl 40
Chapter 4-5: Lvl 50
Chapter 5-6: Lvl 60
Chapter 7->: Uncapped
Minagi
Kitten

Post by Minagi »

Is it me or was Rivern#A01 a piece of cake? I was ninja for it and i tanked one mammet while a smn and bst kited each of the other ones. Then when my one was dead (yay blink tank and yellow liquid!), I just pulled another. Didnt die at all. ;x

I want to do more CoP though.. im on 3-1 and am getting bored of doing cutscenes, I want to fight Diabolos!
[img]http://i126.photobucket.com/albums/p96/Minagichan/Splendid.jpg[/img]
[[b]Minagichan[/b]]
[[color=orange]THF 75[/color] | [color=green]NIN[/color] 56 | WAR 37 | PLD 21 | SAM 66 | RNG 42]
[Knife [x] Armlets [x] Bonnet [x] Culottes [x] Vest [x] Poulaines [x]]
[[color=navy]Bonecraft level 60.0[/color]]
=========================================
[[b]Peps[/b]]
[[color=orange]WHM 65[/color] | [color=green]BLM[/color] 45 | BRD 15]
[Hammer [x] Duckbills [x] Cap [x] Pantaloons [x] Briault [x] Mitts [x]]
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Minagi wrote:Is it me or was Rivern#A01 a piece of cake? I was ninja for it and i tanked one mammet while a smn and bst kited each of the other ones. Then when my one was dead (yay blink tank and yellow liquid!), I just pulled another. Didnt die at all. ;x

I want to do more CoP though.. im on 3-1 and am getting bored of doing cutscenes, I want to fight Diabolos!
It seems you have a winning setup there,

after 16 fails with almost every setup possible, I found myself in a similar party.

NIN,DRG,BST,WHM,WHM,SMN <- me
the BST and me started kiting the mamets with 1 whm covering us while the nin and drg duod one (Pretty fast I need to add).
The the second was killed by the NIN,DRG and BST.
The DRG died once on the second mammet due to AoE but reraised and rejoined the fun.
This way was very easy.

Second win was: PLD,THF,NIN,SAM,WHM,SMN with the NIN and SMN kiting.

Before I've tried with RDM/NIN kites, 2 nin kites, 2 bst/nin kites, you name it....
It all somehow seemd to fail, and I'm not questioning the skill of the players because I did this with people that I've been hanging out with for a long time.

As for cutscenes, you'll be having a few.
CoP is also a lot of traveling to the 3 main cities, and finally a storyline where they include Cid!!
As for Diabolos, he's easy just make sure you have enough stunning power to stop the horrid {Nightmare}.
I found Samurai particulary useful in this battle.
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

officially requesting a linkie to that CoP guide that was mentioned in previous posts.

Sorry kitties.. but i gotta know.
Windurst Rank 10

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Hehe you guys must have a) been lucky or b) known what you were doing down to the T... yellow liquid is handy, get them stuck on slow axe mode they have buttloads of HP though it is a longass fight and can get quite scary at times ^^;
Kateevia
Housecat

Post by Kateevia »

I havent read the entire thread but I just wanted to say...

*shakes fist at the sky*

Damn you Promy-Holla!!!! Damn you I say!!!!

0/3 Damn it!!!

I'd also like to say that all 3 of my loses were mostly due to lack of Anima. My one win (promy-mea) I tanked and we all had anima (LS rule as Chaos said) and it was a breeze. The others I attended were pick up runs and I have gone as BLM and WHM and each one failed because ppl just got together and said, "hey, I'm bored, let's do a promy run...we dont need anima, let's go for it." The outcome...total wipe ><
WHM60/BLM30/WAR30/RNG26/DRK22/RDM20
MNK20/NIN15/THF10/BRD4/SMN1/SAM1/BST1
Cooking 30, Clothcraft 9, Fishing 4
Here I am in all my Mithran glory....
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?103736
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

If you have 2 smn/whm in the party, promy holla doesnt need more than 2 maybe 3 anima if even that much...

Then again.. i did that with a party before the ranger "adjustments" so it could be different now.
Windurst Rank 10

Crispleaf
Housecat

Re: Experinces in Promy

Post by Crispleaf »

Eviticus wrote:As a Blm, I went all out. ... First off, snag a Reraiser or reraise earring or whatever. Perhaps both for good measure. 3k gil for a reraiser? {Yes, please.} Cheap insurance policy that saved our entire run.
Reraise earrings aren't too terribly expensive, but they save you hours of starting from the first floor all over again if your party gets wiped out. At the very least, your white mage should have one. If you don't have a white mage, then everyone should bring (or share) an earring because no one will have Raise.
I popped a 13k Hi-Ether, not knowing it's effect. Got something like 50 or 60 mp.....wtf? I popped off a Stone II from that Hi-ether and did 36 damge, mostly resisted. Not worth it if you're on any kind of budget.
Ethers aren't really worth it, in my opinion, except for very specific situations. They take a long, long time to activiate, draw hate, and don't really give you lot of MP for your trouble.
Being the almight Blm who has 700k in gear, I was fairly confident of my ability to nuke some critters. Sad thing is with very high INT and capped {Elemental Magic}, Empty mobs -love- to resist your nukes down to 10% damage. Fire after Fire doing 30 damage, with the occasional 60, was making me cry. The Nin was out-damaging me if you counter her WS's.
The trick to fighting empty mobs as a black mage (or a summoner) is that they all have a different element they are weak to. You can tell which element by what color they glow... it corresponds to the element they are based on. So if you're fighting a Wanderer that's glowing red, it's fire-based, so use water spells on it. Trouble is, it's not always easy to tell what color they are. Water, ice, and wind can sometimes look very similar.
My advice too, don't cast anything but your highest level spell and the spell they are weak to, which for me on Dem was Stone II and Fire. Stone II got an occasional triple digit damage number, and Fire was fairly reliable. Also, Hystero and Terror anima's are godsends, farm one before heading in.
I've found using Ifrit's Inferno works well on Dem (unless it's watersday), so I agree that it's weak to fire.

All that said, good luck on your future Promy runs, Eviticus :)
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~crispl3af/level.JPG[/img]
Bastok Rank 8-1, Windurst Rank 10
Rise of Zilart Completed
Chains of Promathia Completed
Treasures of Aht Urghan Rank 2
Tamarik
Tomcat

Post by Tamarik »

Eviticus wrote:Mama, don't let your kittens grow up to be Blm. The setup was War/nin, Nin/war, Whm, Blm, Sam, Rng. Being the almight Blm who has 700k in gear, I was fairly confident of my ability to nuke some critters. Sad thing is with very high INT and capped {Elemental Magic}, Empty mobs -love- to resist your nukes down to 10% damage. Fire after Fire doing 30 damage, with the occasional 60, was making me cry. The Nin was out-damaging me if you counter her WS's.
Your blm should pay more attention. The color of the core of the Empty mobs corresponds to the element they are attuned to. So if you're up against a yellow Empty mob, they're earth-based, so your BLM should cast Aero against it.
[img]http://www.lionking.org/~tamarik/sigs/ml-tamsig.gif[/img]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Sometimes they resist anyway, they do have quite high magical resistance. And the boss itself is usually hard to tell what elemental allignment it is, I usually experimented a bit then stuck with what seemed to be working. :)
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Kahvi wrote:If you have 2 smn/whm in the party, promy holla doesnt need more than 2 maybe 3 anima if even that much...

Then again.. i did that with a party before the ranger "adjustments" so it could be different now.
I have been wiped out in a party with two SMNs in Holla. Not enough Anima.

An Alt, as RNG/WAR, was wiped out in a party there with two RNGs and a SMN.... Same reason.

Anima = Mob controll.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Post by xaresity »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо