Restoring your faith in the dunes

A place to talk about... anything!
Losfuin
Feral Cat

Restoring your faith in the dunes

Post by Losfuin »

Or, a thread reminding you that, for every awful party with a meleeing white mage you have, there's one out there where *everything* is perfect.

Yesterday, I took my rdm to the dunes, hoping to start on the road from 17 to 20 in order for BCNMs. Wait about ten minutes, get an invite. Woo! Set-up was thf, thf, pld, rng, whm, rdm.
After one hour, I had as much exp as when I started.
After several changes, I finally hit 18, and not long after, we disband. Seemed to take about three hours to get over 1000 exp.

Today I go along, and end up forming my own party, as no invite came after a half hour. Eventual set-up was whm, blm, nin, nin, mnk, rdm.
After one hour, we'd earned roughly 4000 exp each.
The only discussion we needed was over which nin would tank, and who would pull. We never had to stop because of low MP, which is a first for any party I've been in. The only thing stopping us getting chains beyond 5 were the lack of monsters on the beach. Absolutely awesome.

Sadly, we disbanded not long after the hour, as most members had hit 20, and some had to log, leaving only me behind at 19. I was very sad to let that party go. I've had some awesome parties, but they've all been based on the LS. For a pick-up party... 4k an exp in the dunes? I've never heard of that much before.

So, not every dunes party makes you pull your hair out and cry.

Anyone else got any stories they wish to share?
Gospel
Tomcat

Post by Gospel »

The best party i've ever been in was a 57-59 party. (when i say 57-59 that means I got 2 levels in this party and not that the party was 57-59)

We all started out at level 57 in the Valley of Sorrows. setup was War, War, War, Nin, Brd and Me(whm). It was an axe burn/rampage party. Nin tanked of course and did a bloody awesome job of holding hate. Very little down time coz of utsusemi. We were getting constant chains of 7. We ended up averaging 10k exp per hour. Party lasted 3 hours and we all came out 2 levels stronger. First time i've ever been in a high level party with 3 warriors and now i can fully appreciate just how powerful warriors are with how fast we were killing the raptors. Yay for rampage =3
More barabric than Heaven.

There can be only one.

White Mage - AF1-[:2thumb:] AF2-[:2thumb:] AF3-[:2thumb:] AF4-[:2thumb:] AF5-[:2thumb:] AF6-[:2thumb:]
The relic hunt begins soon!!!
AFv2-1 (Mjollnir) [:(] - AFv2-2 (Cleric's Duckbills) [:(] - AFv2-3 (Cleric's Cap) [:(] - AFv2-4 (Cleric's Pantaloons) [:(] - AFv2-5 (Cleric's Briault) [:2thumb:] - AFv2-6 (Cleric's Mitts) [:2thumb:]

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style1,Gospel.png[/img][/url]
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Only good Dunes experiences i've had have been with Japanese parties.

Like the one that took me from WHM 14 with 300 exp to 20 in a little over 8 hours (Would have been less but we had trouble replacing members.)
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

I just can't think of the Dunes being a good place after what happened today.

I've bene playing for a year, but today was nothing but some of the absolute WORST parties I have EVER had in the Dunes. The ONLY parties that got decent EXP had PLs. I had multiple parties that couldn't even take on a freakin' Snipper when I'd never had problem at that level. They liked randomly disbanding as well, particularly when the mob we were zoning had aggro on me.
Nobodyreal
Housecat

Post by Nobodyreal »

Dunes has the distinction of not only being the worst party I've ever been in, but the worst party I've ever heard of.

The most XP we got from any single kill was 50. Both(!) of the WHMs were blowing through all of their MP in every single fight and somehow still leaving the tank (me) needing to rest and recover. I died several times and should have left but there was nobody else in the dunes, it was literally our one party and a few people camping the emperor. So the idiots get me killed so many times I delevel. After I go back to my homepoint and run out to the party again, I get kicked from the party and told that it was because the level gap was too big. I was a level 11 (after the delevel) WAR and everyone else was level 12 or 13.

And it wasn't just a random party of noobs. Everyone was rank 5 or higher and half of them had "advanced" jobs. Because of this and the other horrible parties I've had there, I will never again XP in Valkrum.
[img]http://users.sisna.com/mschild/graphics/ffxisig.jpg[/img]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

I have had a few good parties in the Dunes, but the best I can remember was in Korokola Tunnel. I was leveling BLM, and fell in with a group who all were in the same LS, often leveled together, and all had level 60+ jobs.

It was like the Japanese parties you only hear of. The action never stopped. All the mages could be down for MPs and the Elvaan RNG would just keep shooting at a worm. At one point I killed a worm that he had taken way down by using Posion, Bio, and every last MP I had recovered while he was shooting. Ran out of range and watched it die. Four levels in as many hours.

But the best part is I learned SO MUCH in that party.
Last edited by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) on Mon Nov 21, 2005 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Jadus
Tomcat

Post by Jadus »

Well I remember being BLM lvl 10 in dunes....
took along time until dun dun dun
i get this invite and i show up at camp and
... a lv 75 RDM and a 75 WHM and...
a 60 BLM are sitting there next to my party and
to make a long story short
lvls 10-16 in a few hours
:twisted:
[color=green]{[/color]Mew?[color=red]}[/color]
"Slaughter" always has "Laughter" in it.
New sig on the way... Maybe..
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

I've completely given up on the dunes all together. :D

I took RDM, SMN and WHM through the dunes and hated it. Especially with SMN and WHM. Even half-way experienced players seem to revert to know-nothing half-wits when they cross over into that Sandy Hell. :roll:

After escaping with my sanity while lvling WHM I decided that I'd just solo my other baby jobs to 15 and then go experience the joy that is Valkurm.
Well, I have 3 jobs that are now where I could take them to Hell Beach, but I'm just not going to do that too myself.

20 sounds like a good start-to-party level to me. :lol:
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

ScarlettPheonix, at this point I would rather spend 3 days in Windurst trying to get a Maze party together than spend 1 hour leveling in the Dunes 10 - 15.

15 - 20 Korokola Tunnel gives so much faster EXP I don't see why people are still leveling in the Dunes at all.

Its not that the Dunes are SO bad, or the parties either, just that Worms are sooooo much better. I have had good parties in the Dunes and horrorshows too, but the best Dunes parties give 1/2 the EXP/hr that a good worm party will.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sheala
Tomcat

Good Players = Good Parties = Good Experience

Post by Sheala »

I am finding the best parties are the one made of competent players. They have decent to uber gear, but the most important thing is they know how to get the most out of their jobs. I like Japanese parties. Not only do they experiment and learn what works and how, they teach you in a polite way what they find out. :P Some NA players can do this too. But so many NA player stay noobs way past the dunes. The competent players understand it is how they play and interact with the rest of the party. :wink: Where the party levels does not matter as much to the good party as how the players can work together to increase xp while reducing risk. :thumb:

While it only lasted a few weeks, Our Mithra Pride Pheonix static was a great party :!: :2thumb: Dispite have 2 high level characters to help with adds and raises, I learned a lot in the few weeks. With my monk I figured out how to weapon skill chain with other players. As a theif, I figured out how to pull safely and avoid links, aggro, and deal with pops. :wink: It is too back the static ran its course. :( So it is the players who make the party great or lousy. That is why I want to become a better player. 8)
Last edited by Sheala on Wed Nov 23, 2005 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sheala of the Northern Edge Guard
23 Thf 24 War 20 Mnk
Mithrapride Phoenix Division, Windurst Battalion, Intelligence Unit
Profile: [url]http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?110143[/url]

"Note to myself ... give Tirga six hundred and one KAPOWIES for this half-baked stunt!" -Fred Perry, Gold Brick II
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Post by Cyndari »

My story is close to Jadus's the best pty I ever had in dunes was we had WAR, WAR, WAR, THF, BLM, BLM. The THF was ldr and had 2 friends PL us 65RDM, 71WHM. I went from 15 - 21 in a little under 4 hours.
[color=blue][b][i]Don't let fear cloud your judgement, for it will hold you back from all of your dreams ;) [/i][/b][/color]
[img]http://www.drowtales.com/~hightreason/chibilaelia.gif[/img] [color=blue][size=200][i][b]Meeooww!!![/b][/i][/size][/color]

WHM - 61 | SMN - 32 | BLM - 21 | THF - 10 | NIN - 7 | BRD - 7 | BST - 7 | SAM - 5 | WAR - 5
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Tsybil, oh I agree, Maze/Tunnel or even Peninsula parties are leaps and bounds above Hell Beach.

I enjoy soloing and testing my limits a lot. Must be the RDM in me, lol. So, for me, soloing my baby jobs up to lvl 20 works. I enjoy the time away from the exp party grind and since I craft its the perfect way to get crystals and low level crafting items^^
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Yukira
Feral Cat

Post by Yukira »

Never lost my faith to dunes nor had much of it. Nice place to meet new players. ^^
Tifachan
Kitten

Post by Tifachan »

Well I've been in the dunes too many times. I'm kinda tired of it, but I know I will return to lvl a few more jobs.

The only things that makes the dunes such a bad thing for me is:

1. Newbie Paradise (But hey, we were all once newbies, so you gotta feel for them)
2. Lack of job abilities and spells (10-20)
3. Long LFP Times
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v117/Xenoheart/drkkaori.jpg[/img]
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

The Dunes will always be rough for many reasons.

For one thing, most jobs lack the survival skills and equipment that are essential at higher levels. For another, most people are new at their job. They might not have worked out how exactly it's supposed to work yet... maybe they've seen other people play the job, but they haven't done it themselves.

And I also think if you've played a high level job exclusively for a long time and are just now getting around to leveling something else, you've completely forgotten how vulnerable you are at a low level. You might expect someone to sleep a link only to remember, too late, that no one knows how to cast a sleep spell yet.

Powerleveling might take some edge off this, but in the end, it only seems to produce tanks that don't know how to tank and healers that fall asleep instead of heal.
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~crispl3af/level.JPG[/img]
Bastok Rank 8-1, Windurst Rank 10
Rise of Zilart Completed
Chains of Promathia Completed
Treasures of Aht Urghan Rank 2
Losfuin
Feral Cat

Post by Losfuin »

Crispleaf wrote:Powerleveling might take some edge off this, but in the end, it only seems to produce tanks that don't know how to tank and healers that fall asleep instead of heal.
Yes. To some extent, power-levelling came take some of the blame for parties in places such as Quifim that still have no idea what to do.

People heading to the Dunes is just what happens. People level there because it's where people wanting to level are most often found. How did it get this way? Dunno. Ask the people who started playing at release in Japan.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Losfuin wrote:People heading to the Dunes is just what happens. People level there because it's where people wanting to level are most often found. How did it get this way? Dunno. Ask the people who started playing at release in Japan.
Probably because of it being so convient to Sandy and Basty. The people from those cities would meet there making parties so much easier to find.

When I first started, right after the NA release, the pattern was Windy people would level in the Canyon, Maze, and Bubu, headding to the Dunes at 15 - 16 for the subjob quest. Now these areas are empty of leveling parties on all servers :cry: This may have a LOT to do with the reduced number of people leveling 10 - 20 nowadays.

I have put several Maze and Bubu parties together in the last year. People are always astonished at the EXPs/hr. :D

Losfuin
Feral Cat

Post by Losfuin »

Tsybil wrote:I have put several Maze and Bubu parties together in the last year. People are always astonished at the EXPs/hr. :D
The MP Phoenix static spent some time in Bubu from about 12-18. Was awesome, some of the best fun levelling ever. Aside from the great company ( :D ), the utter lack of competition made life easy.

I had two rather interesting parties tonight. First had a 3 level gap, with brd, mnk (no SJ), blm, drg, war, and rdm (me). The exp wasn't brilliant, we had to rest a lot slowing our chains, but we were never in any kind of danger, and it was pretty fun. Later on, our mnk left, so we replaced him with a thf/nin, leaving the party full of people lvl 18 to 19. We got very quick exp and skill-ups, but it felt like a real rush, with me never feeling I had quite enough MP to main heal, but too much healing to do to enfeeble and melee properly.

In the first party, it was clear the mnk was a relative newcomer to the game, not just in the lack of SJ, but in general understanding of game-terms and tactics. Whereas, the second version was much more professional, with the party chaining T and EM mobs to keep the chains up between Pugil re-spawns. Even so, it wasn't nearly as fun, and I kinda glad to leave.

What I liked about the first party was that it felt constructive outside of the exping up; I think our mnk left being a bit more knowledgable about the game. The second one felt more like a grind, with everyone knowing their place and doing exactly what they should. We could have been on auto-pilot.

Sometimes, a bit of inexperience can make for fun times.
Kistala
Tomcat

Post by Kistala »

Being lfp or gathering a pick-up party in Dunes is always a crapshoot. I've died four times in a row to crabs because the first three times the Black Mage didn't understand what "don't Bio" means and the fourth time he disbanded two blows into the battle because "you ned 2 lern respct". He was RANK SEVEN and was casting Bio on Crabs.

That was the worst. The best PT I have ever had was also in Dunes. I was the White Mage in a party with two Ninja. They had flawless timing. I practically debuffed more than I cured. I went from level 12 to 20 in one day, in a single party.
"Don't take life too seriously, you can't get out of it alive."

Currently: PLD69/WAR34 tank
PLD69/RDM34 soloer
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Kistala wrote:Being lfp or gathering a pick-up party in Dunes is always a crapshoot. I've died four times in a row to crabs because the first three times the Black Mage didn't understand what "don't Bio" means and the fourth time he disbanded two blows into the battle because "you ned 2 lern respct". He was RANK SEVEN and was casting Bio on Crabs.
Ok, I'll bite... why is it so terrible to cast Bio on crabs to the point where it would cause you to die 3 times? :?

(I mean, I understand Dia reduces defense... but Bio would reduce the damage of Big Claw... it doesn't seem that bad to me)
Rise of Zilart Completed
Yukira
Feral Cat

Post by Yukira »

Yeah, I'd like to know too...O_o
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Bio II > Dia II > Bio > Dia.

They are ranked in that order. Bio will cancel Dia when cast, Dia II will cancel Bio when cast, etc. Dia is perfered on Crabs because no matter how hard they hit and inconvienece one person, about 3-4 others are screwed cause it's Def is too high. So since you can't have both Dia and Bio on at the same time, Dia is perfered on high def mobs.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Eviticus wrote:Bio II > Dia II > Bio > Dia.

They are ranked in that order. Bio will cancel Dia when cast, Dia II will cancel Bio when cast, etc. Dia is perfered on Crabs because no matter how hard they hit and inconvienece one person, about 3-4 others are screwed cause it's Def is too high. So since you can't have both Dia and Bio on at the same time, Dia is perfered on high def mobs.
I get all that (I couldn't level so many mage jobs and not know this). I'm just wondering why Bio would cause 3 deaths though, even if it isn't prefered? Dia isn't THAT much better (it helps, but really...)

And besides, certain weapons work better on crabs than others... You being a dragoon should know this since a polearm is far better than a sword on crabs ;) Hand-to-hand works well too, strangely enough.

You'd be better off being well equipped to hit crabs than casting Dia instead of Bio.
Rise of Zilart Completed
Losfuin
Feral Cat

Post by Losfuin »

Kistala wrote:He was RANK SEVEN and was casting Bio on Crabs.
I've cast Bio on crabs, too. You just need to make sure someone follows it up with a Dia. As I understand it, while the enfeebles don't stack, the DoT effect does.

It seems to me that party had more problems than a BLM who didn't understand enfeeble stacking.
Kistala
Tomcat

Post by Kistala »

it was a monk-heavy party. Bio meant we had three people swinging for 0s.

PLD69/RDM34 soloer
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

I've cast Bio on crabs, too. You just need to make sure someone follows it up with a Dia. As I understand it, while the enfeebles don't stack, the DoT effect does.
As Evictus already pointed out: Bio II>Dia II>Bio>Dia

Bio lowers the crabs attack. So only the person being hit gets the benefits from bio.

Dia lowers def, which means every single person in the party hitting the crab gets the benefit from dia. The tier II version work the same way. Dia II lowers def by a whopping 10%. Why do you even want to think about overwriting that? Or preventing it from taking effect until Bio wears?

Crabs have a very high def and without anyway to dispel their evasion boost ability you want to lower its def as much as possible. Which means you can have your crab boil that much quicker. :D

Losfuin
Feral Cat

Post by Losfuin »

ScarlettPheonix wrote:As Evictus already pointed out: Bio II>Dia II>Bio>Dia

Bio lowers the crabs attack. So only the person being hit gets the benefits from bio.
Actually, yeah, thinking about more about it, I totally mis-understood what I was trying to do >.> I've made myself look pretty silly, haven't I?
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Kistala wrote:it was a monk-heavy party. Bio meant we had three people swinging for 0s.
I think you'd only hit for 0 if it had stoneskin up. I remember leveling monk and stealing hate off of tanks just with regular attacks, nevermind boost or weaponskills... as a weak little mithra, at that ;)

Then again, these are Dunes tanks we're talking about. :roll:
Rise of Zilart Completed
Kistala
Tomcat

Post by Kistala »

Crispleaf wrote:
Kistala wrote:it was a monk-heavy party. Bio meant we had three people swinging for 0s.
I think you'd only hit for 0 if it had stoneskin up. I remember leveling monk and stealing hate off of tanks just with regular attacks, nevermind boost or weaponskills... as a weak little mithra, at that ;)

Then again, these are Dunes tanks we're talking about. :roll:
Yeah... my biggest mistake in that party, really, was not disbanding after the second death. :/

PLD69/RDM34 soloer
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Restoring your faith in the dunes

Post by xaresity »