SMN In Progress

Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

SMN In Progress

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Im wearing out on warrior atm, ive been playing it to long and Im doing smn next. What's the best advice for stats and gear and solo avatar battles I can get?
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

Well there are 2 schools of thought when it comes to the solo-mini battles
* Trial of Patience
and
* Blaze of Glory

they only gear that both schools of thought agree on are
* Hermit's wand
* Heko Obi +1

after that, it is almost anything goes.
Always think of good elemental resists for the avatar you are fighting.
+ evasion gear is always a good idea
+ HP was suggested in one or two placed as beneficial as well.
also Steamed crab was most suggested as the favorite buff food before going inside the crystal. Baked Popoto was the other i heard listed.

also, if you can convince enough people to help out, get carbuncle mitts before you try a solo mini. They make maintaining Carbuncle free due to a hidden enhancement.

School of "Trial by Patience"
This link to a video is all you need to study for the school of "Trial by patience". The rest of the learning comes from practice. Your avatar fight will most likely run 9-15 minutes.
http://ichiban2.voyager.net/Trial-Size% ... e%20HD.wmv

School of "Blaze of Glory"
Pretty much this website sums up the school of "Blaze of Glory" as well as having good information about the summoner job in general. The avatar fight will run about 3-5 minutes, but is harder to pull off due to attempting to perform 3 searing light perfectly.
http://www.summoner.info./

Personally, after trying both schools of thought. I find them to be equally difficult. But either way you choose, you will be on your toes for the first few fights till you find how to control the flow of battle.
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I can see the help in them both, yes Thank you Kahvi, but what about general all around gear? Is it worth the hell Carby mitts are to get? What about weapons staff or club??

also lvling smn magic is a bio tachi LOL but its still fun, An LS member told me that i should use INT boosting gear, while another said Staff only, Im confused at the moment and I wanted to know what do do weapon wise
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

KarouKaniyashia wrote: also lvling smn magic is a bio tachi LOL but its still fun, An LS member told me that i should use INT boosting gear, while another said Staff only, Im confused at the moment and I wanted to know what do do weapon wise
As a starter smn I hope I can help a bit,
I have not beaten any of the avatar prime lvl 20 battles.
They make me too nervous and I can't focus on the battlefield.
I kept losing, so you may discard my advise ^^;

Instead I went on lvling whm and did the actual prime battles.
Since you have war at 55 you might want to lvl it further to 65ish and do the 60+ battles.
I found those battles to be extremely fun and with a good party they're pretty easy to do.

If you want to do the solo battles it's best to come prepared.

I took with me,
3 Hi-Potions
3 Hi-Ethers
5 Yagudo drinks
def and evasion gear.
Hermits wand.

I'm still without carby mitts but I'll get those soon.
I'm not sure if they can be used in the trial size battles tho I'll let you know when I have them.
When I attempt my final try on Leviathan.
If so you can leave the Yagudo drinks out.
Carbuncle Perpetuation cost -4 makes Carby free to use.

For the battles themselves.
Fight them on Lightsday (Carby is strong then) or the day the avatar is weak on.
Examples:
Ifrit on Watersday
Leviathan on Lightningsday
Ramuh on Earthsday etc, etc.

For the 60+ Prime battles goes the same rule, tho I beat Shiva easily on Iceday and Ifrit on Firesday with both astral flows doing almost no damage.
(My friends told me I was crazy, but I did it anyway without any deaths :) )
Ideal is when you have a Bard along, those carrols are neat!

I hope you can do something with it.

About the gear for lvling, go for MP always.
SMN might have the biggest MP pool but it's also the most MP using job of all.
whn you have used a bit of MP you might want to go for a bit +int but it's not the main importance.

in the lower lvls I tend to go +mnd myself a bit more tho.
They tend to invite you as curetank at lower lvls.
Last edited by Shirai on Fri Jun 03, 2005 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

First time around, I took SMN all the way to..... 10 :lol:

Copper Hairpin +1, Ash Staff +1, Soft Boiled Eggs.

What Shirai said about MPs is true.

BLM is more about INT that MPs, WHM is a lot about MND and a lot about MPs. SMN is ALL about MPs.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

right now I have slops, cuffs, sabots, copper hairpin and ash staff, using juice atm, so far so good im up to lvl 4 and its fun as hell
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

I got SMN up to 30 so far... what i used was what ever +MP gear i could get my hands on until lv 18.

Ceremonial Dagger(lv1, 1 dmg, +10 MP), MP Earrings +1(+4 MP, +dark resist) at lv 10, Windurst Ring(+3mp +1INT, +1 AGI), Metal hairpins(-hp, +mp).
Then i traded in my Ceremonial Dagger for a 4INT/4MND wand at level 18.. Yew +1 i think it was.

I also sub /WHM because of higher base mana pool and backup cure spells, not to mention that Dia is useful when i feel like soloing stuff.

Carbuncle Mitts are level 16 Rare/Ex gear, thier purpose seems to be geared percicely for the avatar mini battles.
Windurst Rank 10

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Ziada
Tomcat

Post by Ziada »

Carbuncle Mitts are level 20 actually. They aren't that helpful for the mini-battles - Searing Light drops your MP to zero anyway.

I would agree that the regular avatar battles are better than the level 20 ones, if you can level up and do those. For the level 20 battles... read some guides and look for a video of people winning them.
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

I have never done the mini tuning fork battles, having acquired all my summons with Prime avatar battles.

However, when I first started out, I did not have Carbuncle Mitts. Having obtained the mitts recently, I can say they are definitely worth the effort. Right now, at level 36, I can keep Carby out for a mere 1mp a tick. With over 500mp that amounts to about 20 minutes of fighting.

I have been testing out what I can solo for a lot of xp, and I think I have the most success with monsters that self-destruct, like goblins and bombs.

Mind you, gaining xp is really slow this way... but it's nice to know what your limits are, and it gives you something to do while waiting for your next party ;)
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~crispl3af/level.JPG[/img]
Bastok Rank 8-1, Windurst Rank 10
Rise of Zilart Completed
Chains of Promathia Completed
Treasures of Aht Urghan Rank 2
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Crispleaf wrote:I have been testing out what I can solo for a lot of xp, and I think I have the most success with monsters that self-destruct, like goblins and bombs.
A SMN friend on Garuda has been doing just that. Soloing bombs in Ifrit's Cauldron. She is in her mid 50s and makes a level most days she is there.

I want to watch.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Around lvl 23->26 carby mitts are really helpfull because you can solo worms in Qufim.

This is an even slower way of gaining exp but hey, it's easy exp.

around 50ish SMN has great solo capabilities.

there's a guide I found and I'm willing to try that out later on in the game when I get that far with smn. :)

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/jobs.html ... 1402&num=3
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Thank you all so much for smn help, Ill be sure to use it when i get back to the game after my break
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

Ziada wrote:They aren't that helpful for the mini-battles - Searing Light drops your MP to zero anyway.
Thats why you use Yagudo Drinks for the mini battles. when Searing Light drops your MP to 0 Carby stays active and keeps the avatar's hate. With the Carbuncle Mitts, your MP refreshes due to the mitts canceling out Carbuncle's upkeep, making it easier to get the MP for the second and third Searing Light.
Carby would only unsummon if there is 0 mp when it's upkeep timer ticks off -3mp for the upkeep.

Yes, you will need to recast carbuncle anyway because the avatar will kill it. The few extra MP per tick from the yag drink due to using the mitts will be worth it imo and would change the difficulty from Tough or Even Match to Decent Challenge.
Windurst Rank 10

Waef
Tomcat

Post by Waef »

Meh, I got SMN to 7 I think before I stopped. But, my sister did some of the avatar battles. Basically, just use Yagudo drinks and Searing Light them to death while you run like hell.
PLD67, WAR66, NIN60
Genkai5 [O]
ZM14
PM8-1 (Yay sea! =D)
Currently leveling: Bard
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Post by Cyndari »

Ok so how do you get Carby Mitts cause I don't a zillion gil to buy it :P I also have recently got lvl 20 SMN and so far Irifit and Shiva have made a joke of me :cry:
[color=blue][b][i]Don't let fear cloud your judgement, for it will hold you back from all of your dreams ;) [/i][/b][/color]
[img]http://www.drowtales.com/~hightreason/chibilaelia.gif[/img] [color=blue][size=200][i][b]Meeooww!!![/b][/i][/size][/color]

WHM - 61 | SMN - 32 | BLM - 21 | THF - 10 | NIN - 7 | BRD - 7 | BST - 7 | SAM - 5 | WAR - 5
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:right now I have slops, cuffs, sabots, copper hairpin and ash staff, using juice atm, so far so good im up to lvl 4 and its fun as hell
I got my Summoner up to level 4 as well, I wanna level it up so i can use it as a sub for my WHM for the extra MP cause i am a MP deficient Elvaan
Jobs: RDM-54/BLM-32/WHM-26/PLD-23/THF14-WAR17-MNK8-DRG17-DRK18-BST3-RNG3-SMN7-BRD1
Race: Elvaan
Hometown: San d'Oria
Skills: Cooking 23- Smithing 3
EXP is hard to come by, treasure it!
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Kahvi wrote:Thats why you use Yagudo Drinks for the mini battles. when Searing Light drops your MP to 0 Carby stays active and keeps the avatar's hate. With the Carbuncle Mitts, your MP refreshes due to the mitts canceling out Carbuncle's upkeep, making it easier to get the MP for the second and third Searing Light. Carby would only unsummon if there is 0 mp when it's upkeep timer ticks off -3mp for the upkeep.
Actually, using Astral Flow removes all avatar cost for the length of the ability. Since you need to get 40 MP (2*level) for the next Searing Light, you can pull off all three shots without resting at all. That's how I beat Ifrit. :)

As with all tough battles, the most important thing is to keep your head on your shoulders. I've lost many fights because my heart races throughout and eventually I panic. Same problem I'm having with Maat, honestly. When you keep your cool and remember your options, victory is possible.

It's still luck. Are you in range when the 2hr goes off? Are you far enough away to recast? If not, do you get interrupted when hit? Does your blink actually block a shot? Luck is a huge part of these battles.
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

^ I am one of the panicing vareity, I know after my first dragon fight i was sweating and shaking.
Jobs: RDM-54/BLM-32/WHM-26/PLD-23/THF14-WAR17-MNK8-DRG17-DRK18-BST3-RNG3-SMN7-BRD1
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Definetly True Myst... Took me 2 hours today to hit 8 and several deaths, but it was worth it, im starting to love smn ^^
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Cyndari wrote:Ok so how do you get Carby Mitts cause I don't a zillion gil to buy it :P
Rare/EX, can't be bought or sold. Look herrre:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/db/item.html?fitem=2861

Dropped from a Crimson-toothed Pawberry (Level: 75) (Temple of Uggalepih)

Bring a few BIG friends allong.

Nobodyreal
Housecat

Post by Nobodyreal »

I'd reccomend taking a 60+ job on the trip to get the Carby mitts. I was 57 RDM when I went and I had problems staying alive.

For best results getting Carby Mitts, you'll want a level 75 BRD with Light Carol. It makes Searing Light much easier to survive. I'd advise going with a group of hired goons if you can afford it.

The Carby Mitts really aren't necessary for the trial size avatar fights. I didn't get my carby mitts until after I had the full set. Most summoners on Quetz don't even get them until at least 50+

Winning the trial size fights is just a matter of timing and luck.

I'd reccomend subbing WAR and loading up with the best DEF and +HP gear you can get (including physical earrings, -25MP +25HP each) That's completely ass-backwards from the advice you'll get from most people, but you won't need more than 44 MP at a time for the whole fight and if you're properly geared up it's possible to survive when you get nailed with the avatar's 2-hour.

http://summoner.info/ is possibly the single best resource for info on being a summoner. A very good rundown on tactics for the trial-size fights can be found here which is part of the site.

It's much easier to get the avatars from the regular size trials, so if you've got a 65+ melee job or 60+ mage job, just save yourself the frustration and do it that way.
[img]http://users.sisna.com/mschild/graphics/ffxisig.jpg[/img]
Yugi
Mad Cat

Post by Yugi »

if you need help to lv up smn i'll get my hume to pl for free^-^ right now shes getting armor to fight shiva and my kitty ish helping :D
[img]http://www.fairyland.to/BakaMemo/catgirls.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.fairyland.to/BakaMemo/riaa-kittens.jpg[/img]
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

I wanna also use SMn for a sub for BLm, will that work very well?
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Baketsu wrote:I wanna also use SMn for a sub for BLm, will that work very well?
Yes and no,

Yes:

You get more MP and the magnificent auto Refresh at 50. but at lvl 50 you should know how to conserve MP to keep chains alive.
You show the one inviting, hey I'm no gimpy backup healer... I want to nuke! (Will get you less invites)

No:

You're avatars are half lvl so won't do anything useful until lvl 50 where you get Garuda's Aerial Armour.
You can't backup heal if the whm runs out of MP for some reason
Shouldn't be too bad if there's an rdm in the party, but still pretty convenient.

My subjob choice for BLM still is WHM or RDM,
You will get more invites because you can backup heal if needed.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Baketsu wrote:I wanna also use SMn for a sub for BLm, will that work very well?
SMN is ALL about MPs.

WHM is more about MPs than MND.

BLM is mostly about INT, far less about MPs. Look at /RDM for BLM. More INT, more Clear Minds, Fastcast.

Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

LIES ALL LIES >.<

I love /SMN. Very few people tell me it's a bad choice. It's not about the avatars, it's about the MP/Auto-refresh. Not to mention the BLM/SMN combo could be the highest INT combo in the game. If your WHM and RDM or BRD can't heal your party, you need a new party.

I was talking with a level 74 Mithra BLM/WHM, and she had "60-something" INT base; I have 72. BLM/SMN owns. I slip to /RDM only (-120 MP, -1 INT) for HNM events, but for exp, /SMN {Yes, please.}
Shirai wrote:You get more MP and the magnificent auto Refresh at 50. but at lvl 50 you should know how to conserve MP to keep chains alive.
You show the one inviting, hey I'm no gimpy backup healer... I want to nuke! (Will get you less invites)
Odd.. I will seek up with /WHM and /RDM already seeking all the time, and I'm picked up before they are most of the time.
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Firemyst wrote:
Shirai wrote:You get more MP and the magnificent auto Refresh at 50. but at lvl 50 you should know how to conserve MP to keep chains alive.
Odd.. I will seek up with /WHM and /RDM already seeking all the time, and I'm picked up before they are most of the time.
Might be server based then, on the other hand I never had the privilege to party with a blm/smn since there are very few of them around on Titan.

Might try for myself when I decide to lvl blm again.
LIES ALL LIES >.<

I love /SMN. Very few people tell me it's a bad choice. It's not about the avatars, it's about the MP/Auto-refresh. Not to mention the BLM/SMN combo could be the highest INT combo in the game. If your WHM and RDM or BRD can't heal your party, you need a new party.
About the INT I didn't know,
but don't make me a liar because you have different experiences. :(
I just like the safety of having backup curing posibilities because I tend to get irritated sometimes with the incompetense of many whm pre40 (No offence)
Janeth
Tomcat

Post by Janeth »

Well, I haven't really tried avatar fights, although I really need them, cause I don't have the fame. ^^;; I really hate getting fame...But back on topic, I have two reasons to prefer the mini battles to the prime ones.
1) they need less fame. :P
2) If I were to level RDM (my main) up to 60 to do the prime fights, I would need to either keep subbing THF, which of course no one likes, or level BLM or WHM. I have "Top Secret" reasons for never using BLM or WHM as a sub for RDM. You probably don't want to hear my tired old rant on subjob, but for the few people who do, here are some links: Thread: "Gwynn's Blackmage Adventure" Thread: "Weird Subjobs". Anyway, due to all that stuff, I am subbing SMN, which I can't level any more without avatars, and I can't level RDM past 40 without leveling SMN past 20, so I am sort of forced into the mini avatars. ^^; Sorry if that wasn't much help, but I'm kinda new and I don't really have any information, so all I have to offer is my opinion.

Edited because in the original version, the grammar was atrocious and practically nothing was capitalized. Also, I wanted to add those links. ^^
Last edited by Janeth on Sun Sep 25, 2005 5:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ziada
Tomcat

Post by Ziada »

BLM/SMN is seriously gimped. You can't backup heal at all. You can't cure statuses or sneak/invis yourself either. It's not worth it.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Ziada wrote:BLM/SMN is seriously gimped.
After revising Myst's Arguments on /smn on BLM I found a few good points to sub /smn post 50 on BLM.
Firemyst wrote:It's not about the avatars, it's about the MP/Auto-refresh. Not to mention the BLM/SMN combo could be the highest INT combo in the game.
For a nuke happy BLM this sub is heaven, INT is the most important stat for BLM for enfeebling magic to stick and do massive damage on the mobs.
Especially during MB's.
Auto-refresh is heavenly when it comes to blasting that extra nuke and regaining MP fast in between battles.
Firemyst wrote:If your WHM and RDM or BRD can't heal your party, you need a new party.
True, tho I refuse to have RDMs main heal parties.
But if the combo of a WHM with an RDM or BRD can't cope with healing magic. (considering your puller knows when to hold back when it comes to pulling on low MP) they should be replaced.
Ziada wrote:You can't backup heal at all. You can't cure statuses
*cough* If a whm can't cure statuses they should pick another job or learn to use them spells and learn to recognize what mob's action gives what status. *cough*
Ziada wrote:or sneak/invis yourself either. It's not worth it.
*cough* sneak oils.... Prism powders..... *cough*

cheap to make if you lvl alchemy, and very helpfull if melee learns to bring them instead of me risking my own tail to keep them safe.... orz.... :stare:

(And yes even as whm I always carry these with me to trade to the people that don't bring them or safe my own tail in places where mobs agro to magic!)