Worms and the Maze

Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Worms and the Maze

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

The Maze of Shakhrami used to be a popular place to level from 9 - 16. Due to the population and ease of finding parties in the Dunes, it has fallen into a sad state of disuse on all servers.

I LIKE the Maze. Worm parties in the Maze level faster than any party in the Dunes. A good dunes party is three levels in a night. A good worm party is four or five. I took BLM from 10 - 16 in a day there. Fewer deaths too.

For those who have never hunted worms, here are the setups:

The mage party; 3 - 4 BLMs, 1 RDM, 1 - 2 WHM, 1 SNM optional. Mage parties are... well a blast. You start at the BLM's extreme range, WHM casts Barstonra to signal the attack, runs out of the Worm's casting range. BLMs use Aero only, one might launch Bio. RDM debuffs the worm, then.... either run back to the WHM's position and Cure or stay in the front lines and nuke (best after 14) or even bring out the Bow and arrows (I did this once till 14 and Aero), Cureing of course. SMN, if you have one, tanks with Carby. Carby is great for when two worms are close together too. Early on the BLMs will have to drop back and rest. Recomended foods, BLMs Melon pies; RDMs Roast shrooms, Sweet Rice Cakes, Melon pies; WHMs Roast shroms.

The ranged party; A good one can get by on one WHM, but backup is recomended. As RDM I have often been main healer in these, backup required. Melee types can treat this as a Ranged skillup party with lots of EXPs. I have burnned 4 stacks of arrows here and I am a RDM. Crossbow users can go through 8 - 10 stacks of bolts in a fast party. WHM casts Barstonra to signal the attack. Have the 'voker with the best Defense tank unless you have a SMN, then Carby tanks. Food; Mithra and Taru, Ranged Attack, all others Ranged Accuracy, Mages as above.

The Melee party; OK, this is up close and personal, people will get hurt. RDM or BRD and WHM or two WHMs recomended. You need a Distance Tank who will only use ranged weapons, I like the RNG/WAR or SAM/WAR because they land the most shots, but anything will work. She stands back, shoots and vokes. WHM casts Barstonra to signal the attack. At this level Roast Mutton or even Roast Rabbit is the best melee food.

I forget the level at which worms get Sound Vacume, but ever since my first Dhalmel, ever so long ago, I ALWAYS carry Echo Drops. All Mages should bring these on Worm hunts.

As you enter the Maze, there are two chambers in a row. Hug the right wall and take the passage from #2 leading to the next map. Your hunting grounds are this tunnel, the next small chamber, the right hand tunnel off it, and the next room, with the Ghoul House. Stay out of the big chambers till you can handle the Gobbies, then they are fair game. In general, the mages rest while the melees scout for the next worm. Only one person needs to claim the worm, then she can run out of range and wait for the party to catch up. At first Links can be deadly, later on a BLM, SMN, or Ranged weapon user can keep them busy.

Your parties can morph from one form to another as the day progresses, so be preapared.

Good hunting.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Azureskye
Tomcat

Post by Azureskye »

I always did like lvling BLM in there. It's easy exp as long as you avoid gobs.
[url=http://www.freeimagehosting.info][img]http://www.freeimagehosting.info/uploads/2bd0a2e2ac.gif[/img][/url]

57 WHM; 32 BLM; 30 MNK; 20 SMN; 15 WAR; 11 BRD; 07 RDM; 03 DRG
Windurst Rank: 5; Cooking Rank: Journeyman
Genkai: 1(X) 2(X) 3 ( ) 4 ( ) 5 ( )
AF: Weapon (X) Feet (X) Head (X) Legs (X) Body ( ) Hands ( )
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Post by Cyndari »

:D Yeah I took my WHM from 12-20 in the maze the only reason I went to the dunes was for the subjob quest(that in itself was a pain... :x ). It sad to see that though cause its like you said you dont nearly get enough lvls in Dunes. Im already a lvl 13 SMN and the gobs now give crappy xp while snips are just out of reach to fight. The last 2 pts I was in 4 of the 6 were killed fightin snips, though I could blame it on poor WHM skills. :?
[color=blue][b][i]Don't let fear cloud your judgement, for it will hold you back from all of your dreams ;) [/i][/b][/color]
[img]http://www.drowtales.com/~hightreason/chibilaelia.gif[/img] [color=blue][size=200][i][b]Meeooww!!![/b][/i][/size][/color]

WHM - 61 | SMN - 32 | BLM - 21 | THF - 10 | NIN - 7 | BRD - 7 | BST - 7 | SAM - 5 | WAR - 5
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

A BLM can solo worms in the Maze at 13, Purrrhaps a SMN could too?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

I had the pleasure of levelling from 11 to 16 on my MNK in Tahrongi, Maze of Shakrami and Buburimu Peninsula. Considering how little competetion there was (Well, actually, there were a couple other parties down there but I think they were doing key runs in the Maze), we pretty much got all the worms to ourselves and got nice, fast XP. Buburimu is a great, lesser-used place too. Sylvestre's are good until like...15 or 16 and then you can fight Gobs, Zu's and Dhalmels for good XP.

There's that subjob quest too, but I hear it's not particularly easier than the Valkurm one.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Yeah, I like Bubu too. First party I ever led was there. Started on bunnies and sillys near the Tharongi zone, finished on Dhalmels and level 17? 18? near Selbina. I know you can make level 21 there, and as the Pugs top out around level 29 or 30 I think you could get to 24.

Everytime I get a Bubu party together lately (OK, there hasn't been one for months, hardly lately) people rave about the EXP, and I am ready to apoligze 'cause I think the EXPs are slower than they should be....

Jaela
Tomcat

Post by Jaela »

Sorry to say this sweetie, but Selbina isnt near Bubu, Mhahra is.
And you can get to level 24 in buburimu. Also, i find that the subjob quest in Mhahra is much much easier than thinking to try in valkrum. The Bogy in Mhahra are alot easier to kill than the ones in valkrum, and with a high drop rate and a high level character you can easily get all of the subjob items with ease in bubu ^^[/quote]
Back to FFXI, Hades! Level 55 Thief! Glee!
[img]http://img293.echo.cx/img293/3043/jaela3ez.jpg[/img]
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

Jaela wrote:
Sorry to say this sweetie, but Selbina isnt near Bubu, Mhahra is.
And you can get to level 24 in buburimu. Also, i find that the subjob quest in Mhahra is much much easier than thinking to try in valkrum. The Bogy in Mhahra are alot easier to kill than the ones in valkrum, and with a high drop rate and a high level character you can easily get all of the subjob items with ease in bubu ^^
[/quote]

Yep I tell people this all the time and they look at me like I'm crrrazy. I never leveled in the dunes and prob never will if I can hehe. :)
Josiejo
Mad Cat

Post by Josiejo »

Heh... on Alexander, I don't think any parties start up in Bubumiru or Tahrongi, and very few in the Maze. As long as you have a good party in the Dunes, exp can roll right along. I wouldn't even know how to party in Buburimu, but I'm not against trying. ^^ Maybe I'll try to form a party there to level up RNG and SAM. :D
[img]http://www.johnnysubway.com/~josiejo/images/josiejoSig.png[/img]
[url=http://www.mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Josiejo][b]Josiejo[/b][/url]
NPC Friend: Jajuju (Tarutaru Female Healer)

[b]Kitty Alts[/b]
[url=http://www.mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Sasamii]Sasamii[/url]

[b]Elvaan[/b]
[url=http://www.mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Ryadbraman]Ryadbraman[/url]
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

Josiejo wrote:Heh... on Alexander, I don't think any parties start up in Bubumiru or Tahrongi, and very few in the Maze. As long as you have a good party in the Dunes, exp can roll right along.
Yeah, there are rarely more then 3-4 parties in the dunes at any given time. Seldom do you find parties on the beaches anymore. I went there the other night to level my monk to 20 for BCNMs and I think there were 50 some people there on a Friday night; only half of them in groups. With no other parties to compete with xp is good just about anywhere (that is if the people in your pt have at least 1/8 of a brain.)

As for the Crag zones (TC, LaT, KH) they are empty almost all the time. Only hunters, farmers, teleporters, and BST spend anytime there. Last summer though, they used to be very busy and full of life. I remember when finding a campsite at the ponds in LaT was about impossible. Now you could sit there all day and be lucky if you see a choco come riding by, or perhaps, a BST with their pet in tow.

On the same note, So. Sandy is also place of tumbleweeds and desolate streets. Now-a-days you'd swear that the plague went through there. In the days of my youth (Led Zeppelin lyric) So. Sandy had over 200 people in it at any given time. The streets were filled with excitement and the sounds of a mighty nation. Now if there are over 50 people to be found in the Southern area it's a miracle (90% of the people there are slaves peddling their master's wares in the streets). I've been spending a lot of time lately in No. Sandy lending my paws in the forges of the Blacksmiths and it's odd to see the change in a once busy nation.

I hope that when the x-box 360 is released we will see a burst of new players filling the streets with hopeful young adventurers eager for life, unpolluted with the bitterness and narcissistic ways of those above them. I will be there in the midst of it, leveling jobs with them, helping, guiding, and teaching the younger kittens that will someday be the heirs of this world ... {/sigh} but for now the only sounds that you will hear in San d'Oria are the saws of the Carpenters and ringing of hammers upon hot metal in the sub-levels of San d’Oria’s aging forges.

I suppose I have strayed quite far from the OP's message. I have never leveled in the maze (too far from Sandy) but I have leveled on the worms in Korroloka Tunnel. Some very good xp and it comes with half the effort as you would expect in places like the dunes.
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
Josiejo
Mad Cat

Post by Josiejo »

I think a lot of the problem is that a lot of people have gotten to the point where they'd rather wait for a group to invite them than to start one on their own. I know that's how I feel, after having leveled my Elvaan character to WHM 42, RDM18 and BLM20 and starting probably 95% of the parties I was in. I hate starting parties or being party leader. It used to be ok and feel like a real leadership position, but now I just want to play the game without being responsible for every hole that opens up in the party when some inconsiderate person decides to up and leave with hardly any notice. Also, I'm tired of the bs self-inflicted restrictions some haughty people place on themselves that make them seem like they're too good to accept your invitation. Like, people who won't party with "noobs" or JP Only people... I can't stand them! I'll party with anyone once, and as long as you prove you can do your job well enough, I'll party with you again. :P But it's hard enough sometimes to form a complete group... people shouldn't make it even more difficult by being greater-than-thou. :x

Oh well... I did learn of a new camp area in the Dunes while leveling DRG to 20. ( D-8 ) is surrounded by several different groups of Goblins, and are great exp from 16-20. If you have a pl with you, you can knock out 4 levels easily. We were getting 4-5 chains without any problems. Just make sure to avoid linking! ^^
[img]http://www.johnnysubway.com/~josiejo/images/josiejoSig.png[/img]
[url=http://www.mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Josiejo][b]Josiejo[/b][/url]
NPC Friend: Jajuju (Tarutaru Female Healer)

[b]Kitty Alts[/b]
[url=http://www.mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Sasamii]Sasamii[/url]

[b]Elvaan[/b]
[url=http://www.mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Ryadbraman]Ryadbraman[/url]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Jaela wrote: you can get to level 24 in buburimu. Also, i find that the subjob quest in Mhahra is much much easier than thinking to try in valkrum. The Bogy in Mhahra are alot easier to kill than the ones in valkrum, and with a high drop rate and a high level character you can easily get all of the subjob items with ease in bubu ^^
I got my subjob quest finished in Muhara twice now. Last time I had all the sub job items and a Ruby within five mins after getting to Bubu (Having a sweetheart with TH II along helped I am sure). The Bloody Robe drops from Bogeys far more often than the skull from Ghouls. The only problem is an EXP party level 16ish can take on Ghouls, a party of level 20 cannot reliably take a Bogey.
Josejo wrote: I'm tired of the bs self-inflicted restrictions some haughty people place on themselves that make them seem like they're too good to accept your invitation. Like, people who won't party with "noobs" or JP Only people... I can't stand them! I'll party with anyone once, and as long as you prove you can do your job well enough, I'll party with you again.
Best dunes party in a long time. I was RDM 15 -16 on my restart. I fell into a party at the Oassis. Only one person had a subjob. The other four were leveling secondary characters. EVERYBODY knew what they were doing. Party eletists would never party with a group like that. Five Rank 1 and 2 n00bs with no subjobs, just immagine. :lol:

Yugi
Mad Cat

Post by Yugi »

i've been to that place but i left when i saw the first monster >.< yes i'm a scardy cat ;.;
[img]http://www.fairyland.to/BakaMemo/catgirls.jpg[/img] [img]http://www.fairyland.to/BakaMemo/riaa-kittens.jpg[/img]
Janeth
Tomcat

Post by Janeth »

I wonder why everyone hates the dunes...I really like it. I always go there as soon as I can, usually at level 9... once I forgot to get a buffer and deleveled on the boat. >.< No one would invite me, I had to go back and solo in Konschtat until I gained my level back. Then I looked for a party. You may think level 9 is too low for the dunes, but I get a lot of invites and the exp is just fine. ^^

Also, no offense, but I really hate the maze. I went there as THF once, ran out of arrows really fast, and the battles took forever... I think it might be pretty fun as a mage, though. ^^

Edited because in the original version, the grammar was atrocious and practically nothing was capitalized. I have no idea why I once wrote like this, so don't ask. =P
Last edited by Janeth on Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nobodyreal
Housecat

Post by Nobodyreal »

The maze is great in a cannon party. Worms are tasty xp sausages.

The reason I hate Valkrum is because in the parties I get there I'm the only person who has any clue what I'm doing. Literally in the 14 months I've played FFXI, every Valkrum party I've had (except one) sucked ass like a hoover with a vengeance. From a PLD who wouldn't use Provoke (because they don't want to get hurt), to a WHM who wouldn't use cure (because that should be the SMN/RDM's job), to a THF who thinks SA and TA are the same thing, to the JP party that deliberately got me killed until I deleveled and then kicked me out because the level gap was too big.
[img]http://users.sisna.com/mschild/graphics/ffxisig.jpg[/img]
Janeth
Tomcat

Post by Janeth »

Hmm. I guess I've just had better parties in Valkurm. Or maybe I'm just more tolerant. ^^ I was in this terrible party just earlier today, levels 15-18, (Yes, I know the level gap is too big, originally it was 16-18 but someone deleveled.)

First we were at the secret beach, and some people had to walk there, and whenever someone went through the cave, they would bring a whole lot of bats with them, and then when we fought the bats, someone would always die and then they'd have to come back through the cave and we'd have to fight the bats all over again and someone would die again, and this just repeated endlessly until one guy deleveled and we decided to go to the outpost.

Then we waited and waited for everyone to get there, people kept getting aggroed on the way, it took forever...When we were all finally there, we tried fighting gobs. the first one was very tough and the tank wouldn't voke, we kept telling him to voke and eventually he voked, but only about once a fight, and the exp from the VT's stank, but when we tried IT's, someone always died... I have no idea what was the problem with this party, but perhaps it would have been better with a smaller level gap and/or a tank that knew how to tank.

And even in the face of this stupid, stupid party, I still like the dunes...
P.S. I also like Buburimu, it's just impossible to get a party there. ^^

Edited because in the original version, the grammar was atrocious and practically nothing was capitalized. I have no idea why I once wrote like this, so don't ask. =P
Last edited by Janeth on Sun Sep 25, 2005 4:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lihera
Feral Cat

Post by Lihera »

Janeth wrote: I do not know what was the problem with this party, but here's what I think it needed. 1. a smaller level gap. 2. a tank that knew how to tank ^^
Fixed
[color=indigo]New sig comin'. But in the meantime...[/color]
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v674/Lihera/baofowfwoosh.gif[/img]
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Worms and the Maze

Post by xaresity »

http://audiobookkeeper.ruhttp://cottagenet.ruhttp://eyesvision.ruhttp://eyesvisions.comhttp://factoringfee.ruhttp://filmzones.ruhttp://gadwall.ruhttp://gaffertape.ruhttp://gageboard.ruhttp://gagrule.ruhttp://gallduct.ruhttp://galvanometric.ruhttp://gangforeman.ruhttp://gangwayplatform.ruhttp://garbagechute.ruhttp://gardeningleave.ruhttp://gascautery.ruhttp://gashbucket.ruhttp://gasreturn.ruhttp://gatedsweep.ruhttp://gaugemodel.ruhttp://gaussianfilter.ruhttp://gearpitchdiameter.ru
http://geartreating.ruhttp://generalizedanalysis.ruhttp://generalprovisions.ruhttp://geophysicalprobe.ruhttp://geriatricnurse.ruhttp://getintoaflap.ruhttp://getthebounce.ruhttp://habeascorpus.ruhttp://habituate.ruhttp://hackedbolt.ruhttp://hackworker.ruhttp://hadronicannihilation.ruhttp://haemagglutinin.ruhttp://hailsquall.ruhttp://hairysphere.ruhttp://halforderfringe.ruhttp://halfsiblings.ruhttp://hallofresidence.ruhttp://haltstate.ruhttp://handcoding.ruhttp://handportedhead.ruhttp://handradar.ruhttp://handsfreetelephone.ru
http://hangonpart.ruhttp://haphazardwinding.ruhttp://hardalloyteeth.ruhttp://hardasiron.ruhttp://hardenedconcrete.ruhttp://harmonicinteraction.ruhttp://hartlaubgoose.ruhttp://hatchholddown.ruhttp://haveafinetime.ruhttp://hazardousatmosphere.ruhttp://headregulator.ruhttp://heartofgold.ruhttp://heatageingresistance.ruhttp://heatinggas.ruhttp://heavydutymetalcutting.ruhttp://jacketedwall.ruhttp://japanesecedar.ruhttp://jibtypecrane.ruhttp://jobabandonment.ruhttp://jobstress.ruhttp://jogformation.ruhttp://jointcapsule.ruhttp://jointsealingmaterial.ru
http://journallubricator.ruhttp://juicecatcher.ruhttp://junctionofchannels.ruhttp://justiciablehomicide.ruhttp://juxtapositiontwin.ruhttp://kaposidisease.ruhttp://keepagoodoffing.ruhttp://keepsmthinhand.ruhttp://kentishglory.ruhttp://kerbweight.ruhttp://kerrrotation.ruhttp://keymanassurance.ruhttp://keyserum.ruhttp://kickplate.ruhttp://killthefattedcalf.ruhttp://kilowattsecond.ruhttp://kingweakfish.ruhttp://kinozones.ruhttp://kleinbottle.ruhttp://kneejoint.ruhttp://knifesethouse.ruhttp://knockonatom.ruhttp://knowledgestate.ru
http://kondoferromagnet.ruhttp://labeledgraph.ruhttp://laborracket.ruhttp://labourearnings.ruhttp://labourleasing.ruhttp://laburnumtree.ruhttp://lacingcourse.ruhttp://lacrimalpoint.ruhttp://lactogenicfactor.ruhttp://lacunarycoefficient.ruhttp://ladletreatediron.ruhttp://laggingload.ruhttp://laissezaller.ruhttp://lambdatransition.ruhttp://laminatedmaterial.ruhttp://lammasshoot.ruhttp://lamphouse.ruhttp://lancecorporal.ruhttp://lancingdie.ruhttp://landingdoor.ruhttp://landmarksensor.ruhttp://landreform.ruhttp://landuseratio.ru
http://languagelaboratory.ruhttp://largeheart.ruhttp://lasercalibration.ruhttp://laserlens.ruhttp://laserpulse.ruhttp://laterevent.ruhttp://latrinesergeant.ruhttp://layabout.ruhttp://leadcoating.ruhttp://leadingfirm.ruhttp://learningcurve.ruhttp://leaveword.ruhttp://machinesensible.ruhttp://magneticequator.ruhttp://magnetotelluricfield.ruhttp://mailinghouse.ruhttp://majorconcern.ruhttp://mammasdarling.ruhttp://managerialstaff.ruhttp://manipulatinghand.ruhttp://manualchoke.ruhttp://medinfobooks.ruhttp://mp3lists.ru
http://nameresolution.ruhttp://naphtheneseries.ruhttp://narrowmouthed.ruhttp://nationalcensus.ruhttp://naturalfunctor.ruhttp://navelseed.ruhttp://neatplaster.ruhttp://necroticcaries.ruhttp://negativefibration.ruhttp://neighbouringrights.ruhttp://objectmodule.ruhttp://observationballoon.ruhttp://obstructivepatent.ruhttp://oceanmining.ruhttp://octupolephonon.ruhttp://offlinesystem.ruhttp://offsetholder.ruhttp://olibanumresinoid.ruhttp://onesticket.ruhttp://packedspheres.ruhttp://pagingterminal.ruhttp://palatinebones.ruhttp://palmberry.ru
http://papercoating.ruhttp://paraconvexgroup.ruhttp://parasolmonoplane.ruhttp://parkingbrake.ruhttp://partfamily.ruhttp://partialmajorant.ruhttp://quadrupleworm.ruhttp://qualitybooster.ruhttp://quasimoney.ruhttp://quenchedspark.ruhttp://quodrecuperet.ruhttp://rabbetledge.ruhttp://radialchaser.ruhttp://radiationestimator.ruhttp://railwaybridge.ruhttp://randomcoloration.ruhttp://rapidgrowth.ruhttp://rattlesnakemaster.ruhttp://reachthroughregion.ruhttp://readingmagnifier.ruhttp://rearchain.ruhttp://recessioncone.ruhttp://recordedassignment.ru
http://rectifiersubstation.ruhttp://redemptionvalue.ruhttp://reducingflange.ruhttp://referenceantigen.ruhttp://regeneratedprotein.ruhttp://reinvestmentplan.ruhttp://safedrilling.ruhttp://sagprofile.ruhttp://salestypelease.ruhttp://samplinginterval.ruhttp://satellitehydrology.ruhttp://scarcecommodity.ruhttp://scrapermat.ruhttp://screwingunit.ruhttp://seawaterpump.ruhttp://secondaryblock.ruhttp://secularclergy.ruhttp://seismicefficiency.ruhttp://selectivediffuser.ruhttp://semiasphalticflux.ruhttp://semifinishmachining.ruhttp://spicetrade.ruhttp://spysale.ru
http://stungun.ruhttp://tacticaldiameter.ruhttp://tailstockcenter.ruhttp://tamecurve.ruhttp://tapecorrection.ruhttp://tappingchuck.ruhttp://taskreasoning.ruhttp://technicalgrade.ruhttp://telangiectaticlipoma.ruhttp://telescopicdamper.ruhttp://temperateclimate.ruhttp://temperedmeasure.ruhttp://tenementbuilding.rutuchkashttp://ultramaficrock.ruhttp://ultraviolettesting.ru