Hearing crickets on the servers yet?

A place to talk about... anything!
Gwynn
Big Cat

Hearing crickets on the servers yet?

Post by Gwynn »

So, who else is expecting lower prices for chocobos, lower taxes on the jeuno AH, and greater availability of good gear from here on out?

oh, you don't know what i'm talking about?

Half of the players on Bismark logged off last night at mignight, because HALO2 was released.

Lower Jeuno chocobo at 11:00PM eastern, 575 gil.
Lower Jeuno chocobo at 12:30AM Eastern, 201 gil.
[b]Gwynn[/b] : [color=Orange][i] Bismark Server[/i][/color]
Primary: RDM75/BLM37
Secondary:WAR75/NIN37
Next: NIN63/WAR31
Bastok Rank: 9
ZM:17 PM 3-5 TM: 8
AFb:
WAR: Head [x] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
RDM: Head [ ] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
Evehr
Kitten

Post by Evehr »

yeah got a choc for 75 gil (from jeuno!!)
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v502/Evehr/Evehrssigcopy.jpg[/img]
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

not just halo 2, EQ2 also.
Rinaah
Tomcat

Post by Rinaah »

To comment on chocobos, I think its rediculous sometimes.
Case in point... I was in Jeuno on Sunday, the choco from Port Jeuno was 406 gil. :shock: I scooted my kitty butt over to Lower Jeuno and the price was 170 gil. I am guessing people use port chocos more than the others.
54BLM 37DRG 39WHM 20THF 20WAR 12MNK
Rank 5 Sandy
Magic Burst record: 1071 dmg
You can't have real fun without a few explosions.
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

Rinaah wrote:To comment on chocobos, I think its rediculous sometimes.
Case in point... I was in Jeuno on Sunday, the choco from Port Jeuno was 406 gil. :shock: I scooted my kitty butt over to Lower Jeuno and the price was 170 gil. I am guessing people use port chocos more than the others.
the inverse is true on bismark. The majority of the bazaars are near LJ's AH. therefore prices in LJ during the week usually range 200-400... on the weekends, 800-1000, when it's Sunday in Japan 1000-1300. But then you go to UJ, and it's like 75-150, 400-500, and 600-700.
AFb:
Sivara
Big Cat

Post by Sivara »

Wow. And here's to things easing up on the servers (less competition for farming monsters, items, NMs, etc.).

Now, if only the gil sellers would back off. Perhaps some of them will leave for greener pastures. Players will have less of a desire to push through FFXI, and thus be less inclined to buy gil. Gil-selling would become less profitable.

One can only hope. :(

Yeah, EQ2, Halo 2, and don't forget WoW.
/em waves goodbye to people who don't care enough about FFXI.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Wow wont make much of an impact..once people get past the first month of glassy eyed wonder they will realize the game is really poorly done..Once the NDA was lifted on the beta testers, I positively went on a Tiriad blasting the game for a plethora of "features" that were so poorly thought out it was not even funny...wow should not be getting ready to release..it should still be in Phase 1 beta.
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

I was thinking along the same lines as Sivara. Maybe, just maybe a large enough number of gil buyers will leave and/or have less desire to play FFXI thus cutting the profits of those who sell.

:) A cat can dream can't she? A cat can dream . . .
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

I honestly don't see what the whole draw is with Halo anyways. And EQ -- don't get me started. It's crap compared to FF XI.

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
[url=http://www.livejournal.com/community/bad_rpers_suck]Bad RPers Suck[/url]
Mozyr, San d'Orian Mithra (5-2), Siren Server[/blue]
[url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?101810][red][b]60 DRK[/b], 51 RDM, 38 WHM, [b]37 THF, 37 WAR[/b], 33 BLM, 30 DRG, 11 MNK, 8 NIN[/url][/red]
[blue]Chaos sollerets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos gauntlets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos flanchard:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos cuirass:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos burgeonet:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow]
[blue]Genkai I:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Genkai II:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] Genkai III - V:[/blue] [yellow]X[/yellow]
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Sarah, the draw to Halo II is like iron filings to a magnet.
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

I've got a friend who's die-hard into Halo II. He's shown me screen grabs and whatnot of the game. He's tried to explain it to me. I just sit there like, "....and you waste you time with this because...why?"

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
[url=http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?101810][red][b]60 DRK[/b], 51 RDM, 38 WHM, [b]37 THF, 37 WAR[/b], 33 BLM, 30 DRG, 11 MNK, 8 NIN[/url][/red]
[blue]Chaos sollerets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos gauntlets:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos flanchard:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos cuirass:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Chaos burgeonet:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow]
[blue]Genkai I:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] [blue]Genkai II:[/blue] [yellow]O[/yellow] Genkai III - V:[/blue] [yellow]X[/yellow]
Dukuji
Mad Cat

Post by Dukuji »

mozyr wrote:"....and you waste you time with this because...why?"
:lol: This is exactly what all of my friends and family say to me in regards to FFXI (except for the ones who play, of course). :lol:
[url=http://mithrapride.org/members/guildmember.cgi?function=prof&name=Dukuji]'Kuji[/url]; The [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Ninja[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] [color=green][b]{[/b][/color]Cat[color=red][b]}[/b][/color] -------|m >^-^< m|------- Seeker of Oblivion
mozyr
Housecat

Post by mozyr »

My parents both like FF XI. They just think I play it too much. Thankfully I don't live at home, save for two months of the year.

My roommates (who aren't gamers) love to sit there and watch me play the game, then ask me unending questions about it.

-- Sarah
[blue]- Sarah
Prrsha

Post by Prrsha »

I really hope the newer games draw off some people from the FFXI servers (no mithra pride members of course). The servers are just becoming way too crowded.
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

I've decided I'll be quitting if I get my promotion. That's one less person.
Katsuki
Kitten

Post by Katsuki »

Prrsha wrote:I really hope the newer games draw off some people from the FFXI servers (no mithra pride members of course). The servers are just becoming way too crowded.
this is good and bad, a lot of people is a lot of diversity, lot more things you can buy rather than hunt for, then again, when you want to hunt things crowded servers = :cry: i'm not sure what to think on that but there would be positives and negatives on both sides of course.

as far as Halo 2 i....don't know what to think, i started out hating it completely, then i got into a good multiplayer match with some friends so i figured i'd give it a shot, got it cheap, tried playing the single player, and got bored so i went back to the multiplayer, basically thats the ONLY draw for me so far, and as far as EQ2, no comment, never really got interested in the first one and don't know enough about the second one to slam it so i'll just stick with FFXI Silent hill 3&4 and burnout3 ^^
Status report! =^-^=
THF32//WAR31//BLM22//RNG18//DRK18//WHM17//NIN7//BST2
cooking skill 5 :P
currently: suspended ; ;
~Katsuki

p.s. check me out~<3
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?66892
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

In my opinion, Im on Remora now and used to be on Alexander. Ive seen only a couple gil farmers and there not as annoying as some I have known before, the AH prices are actually quite good and the highest I have ever paid for a choco on Remora was 130gil! Remora kicks ass! I am so glad I moved from my old server. I have made so many new friends and allies. And as for the lag, eh not really, just in certain areas, and I get d/c'ed a couple more times than I used to but its not that bad. As for Halo II and EQ2, bah I already lost my sis to EQ2 but shes loved that game for years, yet I think its crap. I have devoted way too much time and of course the money into FFXI and will remain there for a long time :D
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

I just see them as games. Some are good (Halo 2) and some are bad (EQ 2), but I don't feel any game deserves my full attention. What do I get out of a game?
Rinaah
Tomcat

Post by Rinaah »

Prrsha wrote:I really hope the newer games draw off some people from the FFXI servers (no mithra pride members of course). The servers are just becoming way too crowded.
Hades is a good new server, but it will die if we lose some population to other games. Getting a party is hard enough as it is.... losing people to other games will make it much more harder.
Rank 5 Sandy
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Kopopo wrote:I just see them as games. Some are good (Halo 2) and some are bad (EQ 2), but I don't feel any game deserves my full attention. What do I get out of a game?
You might want to try EQ2 before knocking it...I bought it, and was Very very skeptical about it, but decided to give it a try...and I gotta admit..It is Really Really good...and Im by far a much bigger Final Fantasy fan...

Of course your statement boggles me..how you called Halo 2 good and eq2 bad is beyond me..halo 2 was a complete waste of cash, It was the Same exact crap the first one was...but thats just me.. :roll:
Pyrexia
Tomcat

Post by Pyrexia »

Unless they've fixed the part of EQ where the game and the players take themselves very seriously I'm not going back. I don't know; FFXI just seems to be much more laid back and cheerful than EQ ever was for me. The players in EQ were always focused on the level grind that was the first 40 levels, since you couldn't do anything worthwhile until then, twinking was abound, and I have never met someone in EQ that I have kept a good bond with like all my sisterrrs. Just the game itself doesn't feel right to me, too uptight for me I guess.

The one thing I miss is the being able to solo for decent XP, but that I'm willing to give up for friends. In my time of playing EQ I became close to very few players, since everyone was more worried about leveling than socializing and forming bonds with fellow players. The FFXI community on the most part is much more friendlier.

And thank god, someone who actually agrees with me: Halo 2 = Halo 1. It's the same thing, I don't care how many screenshots my friends throw at me. I will never be an X-box girl.
[img]http://filebox.vt.edu/users/cdove/beachsig.jpg[/img]

Pyrexia : Mithran Fishercat : Federation of Windurst : Midgardsormr and Hades
---
BLM 75 : RNG 73 : SMN 53 : WHM 40 : NIN 37 : RDM 37 : WAR 37 : THF 18 : MNK 10 : DRG 8 : BRD 8 : SAM 6
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

here is a quick rundown of EQ2 for you pyre.

Level grind...Only if your stupid...This game is completely about questing..You get major rewards and experience from questing. As with any game there is some level grinding, but nowhere Near what EQ1 was and and actually less grind then FFXI.

Twinking..elminiated, You have to have your skills up to certain levels to wear certain equipment...the most twinking you will see is, someone giving their new toon enough cash to buy all the newbie gear that would have taken them an hours worth of questing and yielded a ton more experience anyhow.

Soloability...Fairly decent...Not as powerful as EQ, but not as horrible as FFXi.. kind of a happy medium..I spent about 2 hours on it last night doing quests and I went from lvl 1 ~ 9, All the people who were just trying to grind mobs I dont think any of them got past lvl 4 in the same time frame.

Graphics..Kind of a mixed bag here, Some aspects of the graphics are Vastly superior to FFXI, the environment etc...some are decidedly inferior..charcter models concerning facial features/expressions etc. Overall a good effect in my opinion, And the thing that startled me after dealing with EQ and its horrible optimization for years, is EQ2 actually runs better then EQ and FFXI on my machine..I was most impressed at the optimization job.

Zone crowding/Mob availabilty. Zones are instanced, only so many people in a given zone..Overcrowding does not happen, Heavy competition for mobs, doesnt happen...only so many people are allowed in a given zone at a time, until a mirror zone is created.

Gameplay ~ fun, some things I like, some things I dont.. They have a form of a skillchain system, Im not specifically fond of it as I dont consider it nearly as innovative as the one in FFXI..but it does add some diversity to the game. Lots of skills, lots of combinations for you to personally use breaking the tedium of the typical EQ Press "A" and make a sandwich..you need to use your skills they can make or break a fight. As for specific tactics, Im not high enough to fully judge how that works just yet.

Charcter progression...Fairly dynamic, Alot of choices allowing you to customize your charcter fairly well, Sometimes there are a few too many choices with all the menus and stuff making it at times overly complex but not too bad. If your familiar with EQ you can roll into the game with relative ease though you need to lose some bad habits "level grinding and not questing" if your new to the game its reasonably easy to get into the game, but again it can get a bit confusing at first as there are simply alot of things.

Format ~ It plays in a sort of letterbox, I cant say im terribly fond of this feature...I am not happy about the black parts of screen at the top and bottom of my monitor even though they put useful things in them..I just never liked the look, however on the bright side, the game is Fully Alt~Tabable and minimizable...God I missed this feature without having to use a hack..That is the one thing that Drives me Batty about FFXI..Also when you camp to desktop It Shuts down the Entire Game 1 button...I must admit the POL viewer in the beginning I enjoyed and found fun..but as time has progressed and as I dont use hardly any features in it, All the extra clicks in it I just hate...I want to have a option that Shuts the Entire program down..period.

All in all EQ2 is Everything EQ Could have been but was not..I will continue to play till about lvl 20 or 30days whichever comes first to get my profession before I render a full verdict..but right now the game is Very Very impressive.
Rinaah
Tomcat

Post by Rinaah »

I tried going back to EQ because I had fun back in the day, but realized its a very singular game. After being with a bunch of kitty friends, I felt alone in EQ... that is what I did on my hiatus. I still don't feel close to any particular kitten, but at least I have someone to talk to while I play.
The kitties in EQ2 all look like they are offspring of Jay Leno or something... they all have big chins. :? I have yet to see in game screenshots yet though, because we all know our kitty personas don't look exactly like it does when we first chose to be Mithra.
I will continue playing HALO at my friends house for weekly gaming nights. I don't own an xbox, but the playing gives me time to hang out with friends. I am always the one with the lowest kill count and lowest death count. Anyway, I digress... With the release of HALO2, I can see how microsoft is doing everything in its power to get the most out of their premiere title... otherwise xbox would be dead in the water.. and I have no problems with that. :D
Rank 5 Sandy
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

M$ published it, but Bungie created it.
Pyrexia
Tomcat

Post by Pyrexia »

I understand all of those things, but I don't think I'll be moving to any of the MMOs that are coming out this year. I'm glad that they changed most of the things I hated about EQ, things that could've been easily incorporated into EQ, but they probably didn't have the interest since everyone had already grinded their first 40 or so levels anyway. And I do like the fact that they have somehow discovered a sun in Norrath, I hated how dark it always was.

Maybe I'm not a good roleplayer, but I didn't like the classic D&D roleplaying-esque type theme. You know the whole... here's the high and haughty elves, the poor ones, the evil elves, the trolls, the giants, the dvarwes, and gnomes. You know, the classic pen and paper type races and medieval Europe type world. While the races in FFXI do resemble these partially. We do have high and haughty elves, but they're roles are reversed into damage dealers and tanks instead of being the best mages. I just like the environment and the world FFXI was set in, as opposed to the classic D&D-esque environment and world. I've seen it too many times I guess. If that makes any sense.

I'm sorry if it sounded like I was bashing EQ2, which if I liked the medieval type setting I might actually pick up EQ2.

Even with all the MMos to be released soon, I'll be sticking with FFXI. WoW doesn't appeal to me at all, looks a lot like old EQ. I've watched my boyfriend play his beta and solo monsters 4 to 5 levels higher than him with ease, and get double XP for a long time for being 'well rested'. Although I am envious of that dance emote. Matrix Online doesn't appeal because I know it'll be full of Neo and Trinity wannabes. Plus I'm not sure how much of a game is able to be based on the Matrix, especially a MMO. A not online game can have a linear storyline that they can direct you through, but I see Matrix Online being a lot of log in, kill agents, repeat.
[img]http://filebox.vt.edu/users/cdove/beachsig.jpg[/img]

Pyrexia : Mithran Fishercat : Federation of Windurst : Midgardsormr and Hades
---
BLM 75 : RNG 73 : SMN 53 : WHM 40 : NIN 37 : RDM 37 : WAR 37 : THF 18 : MNK 10 : DRG 8 : BRD 8 : SAM 6
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

I like neo-midieval worls, like the one in FF7. There was magic and technology mixed together.
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

Kopopo wrote:I like neo-midieval worls, like the one in FF7. There was magic and technology mixed together.
Arcana, of steamworks and magic... or whatever it was called, merged magic and technology very nicely. I was an elf gunslinger... it ruled :)
AFb:
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Hearing crickets on the servers yet?

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting