Mithra Paladin?

Amor
Kitten

Mithra Paladin?

Post by Amor »

Hi, im form the newly formed Alexander chapter of MithrPride and i wanted to ask how many of you are paladins? I really dont see any US players on this server playing mithra paladins and i wanted to know how is it going for you or share experiences from other mithras out there.

Thank you.
Klenath
Big Cat

Post by Klenath »

I know of at least one full-time Mithra Paladin. Seems to do rather well with it from what I've heard.
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

I took Paladin to 23 relatively easily. Mithra seems to make a really nice Paladin. I think only the Tarutaru can do it better (more MP+CHR==more hate). With our evasion/agility, we can continue to hit the mob and it can miss us more often than others.

The only reason I stopped was because I don't have the mentality to tank. I want to kill things, not be killed by them. After falling in love Dragoon's damage, the Paladin job was simply too weak for me. ^.~
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Amiricle
Big Cat

Post by Amiricle »

Mithra make verrry good Pld's....better than taru I say. Theres a catch though...against most HNM, mithra is poor choice compared too say an Elvaan or Galka Pld....... ; ; (unless you got the moolah for teh uber gear ><)

Yes we have low Vit, but there are ton o +vit item to compensate, also we have great Agi. Agi on a paladin useless you say? Fa! on you I say! (as does my 171 shield skill ^^. Higher agi = more evades, more parries, and more blocks.......hard to do vs HNM, but quite lovely in xp party. This balances mithra vs Hume....we take more damage on average, but completely avoid more hits. Also our higher Dex allows a few more hits which add up to more aggro gained. /cheer
FFXI~ Cactuar: Isania // Midgardsormyr: Amiricle // Bismark: Amiricle & Kaust
FFXIV~ Sargotanas ~ Ami'a Mihgo
Kisahmi
Kitten

Post by Kisahmi »

i took my paladin to lv 20. i just havent put enough effort into being a pld yet. its just too much work for now.
Celsia
Kitten

Post by Celsia »

oh my pld is 29 right now...i actually wanna take it all the way. i think the AF would look so cute on a mithra! :wink: but im also concentrating on drk too so i can use the same armor for both jobs...but its true, i rarely see any mithra plds... :(
pooker
Tomcat

Mithra Paladin?

Post by pooker »

I'm working on PLD right now. I love it so far! It will probably be my main job. If you have the money for good gear, you have great DEF and the damage it pretty good too.
[img]http://i37.photobucket.com/albums/e91/Rzoredgy/FFtop-03-1.gif[/img]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

The more often you hit the monsters the more hate you generate. The less often they hit you, the less hate they loose. We make good PLDs, I know two on Garuda.

The problem running a Mithra PLD is simply you will HAVE to use a Cure 2 before you have taken enough damage to warrant it. Or perhaps a Banish.

The WAR/MNK has Boost to help hold hate. Without something other than just the 'voke, the monster will break about 20 - 25 seconds after the first Provoke.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
pooker
Tomcat

Mithra Paladin?

Post by pooker »

Tsybil wrote:The more often you hit the monsters the more hate you generate. The less often they hit you, the less hate they loose. We make good PLDs, I know two on Garuda.

The problem running a Mithra PLD is simply you will HAVE to use a Cure 2 before you have taken enough damage to warrant it. Or perhaps a Banish.

The WAR/MNK has Boost to help hold hate. Without something other than just the 'voke, the monster will break about 20 - 25 seconds after the first Provoke.
Banish will help me keep the hate? Is it as effective as Cure II?
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

banish = waste of MP.

use cure and cure 2, that will hold hate well
pooker
Tomcat

Mithra Paladin?

Post by pooker »

Nivez wrote:banish = waste of MP.

use cure and cure 2, that will hold hate well

OK. LOL :lol:
Roscoe
Kitten

Post by Roscoe »

Personally I dont think that PLD is the way to go if you Picked Mithra, Because Mithra have Low Vitality, Mind, And Charisma, The only Thing Going for Mithra PLD is Agility And MP, But I have seen Some pretty Awsome Mithra PLD's That know What theyre Doing, I am only saying that PLD is a hard job For a Mithra, But it can work If you now wat to do. :)
Yamato Neko >^n.n^<
-46 Thief / 23 Ninja |10 Darknight |22 Ranger |17 Blackmage |10 Beastmaster
|14 Warrior |12 Monk|8 Whitemage|4 Redmage
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

The Banish is just an idea, I have no experience with the job. It will draw hate, but how much compaired to Cure II, I have no idea. I just came up with it talking to a Mithra PLD who was upset at needing to blow off a Cure II when no one needeed that much healing.

I have lots of ideas and theories, for instance the RDM/WAR as Tank. Phalanx, Stoneskin, Blink, Provoke, Cure II & III, Spikes, en spells. Think about it.

But I am NOT going to level WAR to try it.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Poge
Tomcat

Post by Poge »

rdm/nin works better as a tank at high levels than rdm/war mainly because utsusemi casts a lot faster than blink (especially with a pimp hat). It's very tricky to hold hate w/o provoke though. What the rdm has to do is start the fight as a thief's SATA buddy and then keep curing herself or nuking to hold the hate.

Between curing, nuking, and buffing herself with utsusemi, phalanx, aquaveil, shock spikes and stoneskin, the rdm probably isn't going to have enough time or mp to keep the rest of the party refreshed and hasted so you might want a second rdm. Obviously rdm/nin isn't the ideal tank but it is possible and occasionally practiced.
75 rdm
62 cor, 50 blm, 38 whm
37 pld, 37 rng, 37 nin, 37 brd, 37 smn, 37 drk
Kiterun
Kitten

Working my way there...

Post by Kiterun »

I'm currently a lvl 24 WHM who plans to be a full-time PLD. :) Just some questions: I know PLD has a better grade with Swords, but would a GS still be effective? And as applied to a Mithra? Also, as mentioned above, I'm lvling WHM. How would WHM work as a sub-job for PLD? Or should I just stick to WAR?
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Stick to war :!:

PLD is a tank not a DD!
And since pld is the main tank of parties (most of the time).
Provoke is a must if you want to keep hate, and whm and pld don't have it as jobskill, war does.

I wouldn't know any other suitable combo then pld/war.
Correct me if I'm wrong.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Klenath
Big Cat

Post by Klenath »

As a PLD (and tank) you want max DEF and VIT as well as the ability to block attacks. PLDs are quite good with shields, so the sword / shield combo is best for a PLD (and tanks in general imo).

Tanking involves little damage dealing - you're there to take it for the team. A PLD keeps hate by provoking (WAR sub-job) and curing themself often. They get some hate by landing hits, but most of it is from provoking and curing.

If you want to do damage dealing pick up DRK, BLM, RNG, SAM, THF, MNK, DRG, or any other non-tanking / non-support job out there. WAR is a pretty good DD w/ Great Axe when THF is subbed for Sneak Attack (level 30+ WAR), but there's better jobs for dealing damage in my opinion.
Kiterun
Kitten

Post by Kiterun »

Ok thanks! I'm not really interested in DD though... But PLD/WAR it is! :D Once I get PLD anyway :lol:
I just wondered about PLD/WHM if it would be more effective against undead too...
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

ok to put it into perspective, Pld/whm is a very useful combo and you will be the best undead killer in the game... in theory, in practice however people generally dont kill undead for exp and generally stay away from them unless they have to, this makes the pld's undead killing ability almost worthless to exp.

second thing, pld absolutly positivly needs provoke to hold hate, its thier primary hate mechanic next to curing themselves or others. this means for exp, a palidin is basicly "locked" into playing pld/war, because just about everthing else is pointless.

now you mentioned swords or greatswords, ill further elaborate.
palidins can use basically 6 weapons, polearms, swords, greatswords, staffs, daggers, and clubs. ill break it down when you need such weapon.

sword/shield is your basic exp combo, if your in an exp party, this is your best combination of skills, it puts your best foot forward, and gives you the best balance of hate with weapon and defence that you can get. also note, the sword that are pld/drk only are much better than any of the swords that other classes can use, i would suggest useing these, mainly because they do significantly more damage thus helping immencly with hate control.

club/shield is your undead killing combo. when combined with pld/whm job combination you can litterly rip undead apart, and is very fun, however this combination is almost worthless for exp, as it doesnt do enough damage (even as a pld/war), but if you can manage to use it, your primary goal will probably be skilling up the skill so you can use it ouside of exp parties, instead of it being really good for exp parties.

polearm... some pld's use this to farm, penta thrust is very very useful for this purpose, however besides this, i havent seen a reason a pld uses a polearm, making it extremly limited weapon.

staff. at higher lvls and for HNM stuff, a staff is the way to go, the earth staff reduces damage against you, and is your primary staff. your baisc staff weapon skills suck and the only good one is spirt taker which by the way is rediculously good. mostly staff is reserved for higher lvls, and i havent seen the need for one outside of HNM's or soloing some monsters.

dagger... thier is no weapon with less a purpose for pld other than dagger, dagger is horrible for pld, they cant do even decent damage with it, like club, so its pointless for exp parties. and the weapon skills are horrible for palidin, soo its completly pointless.

greatsword. now here is a delimma, greatsword is not very good for exp parties because you lose your shield and alot of defence, not to mention half your ability to block attacks, the real shine of greatsword is that a pld/whm using a greatsword can pretty much solo any EP they want without problems. at the higher lvls, greatsword gets rediculously good for damage and i would highly recommend keeping greatsword lvled or at least lvling it up when you get to your mid 50's. crecent moon, sickle moon, and spinning slash are wonderful weapon skills for greatsword... not to mention spinning slash makes cross reaper look like a panzy.

so there you have it Niv's breakdown of palidin 101, with advanced techneques, i hope that i have provided some enlightenment on the subject.
Draugadon
Kitten

Post by Draugadon »

As to your Great Sword question, USE IT! The harder you hit the more hate you get... I have kept my great sword at the same lvl as my sword as much as possible... I just stopped using it resently because I got flash... Flash is the spell to use to build hate... not to mention if you use shield bash right before Flash you get time enuff to heal yourself...

But i have a question also...
What is the best way to raise Shield Skill besides tanking while in an xp group?
Draugadon
Mithra
Pld 60 War 33
Nin 31 Thf 25
Drg 25 Sam 25
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

What is the best way to raise Shield Skill besides tanking while in an xp group?
There are items like Stumbling Sandals that reduce AGI. Equip them and a not very good sword. Now find prey that checks EP High Defense. If you found a poor enough sword, you can even find TW HD. Hack away till it is dead. Repeat. Should raise Parry as well.

Draugadon
Kitten

Post by Draugadon »

ok... this next question has been nagging me for the last 2 lvls... at 50 should i get the Royal Knights Army Shield or the Temple Knights Army Shield...

RKAS is +2 Str +1 Mind and Def 14
TKAS is +1 Str +2 Mind and Def 14

I see a people using one or the other but for a Mithra Pld, which would be better?
Draugadon
Mithra
Pld 60 War 33
Nin 31 Thf 25
Drg 25 Sam 25
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Draugadon wrote:... at 50 should i get the Royal Knights Army Shield or the Temple Knights Army Shield...

I see a people using one or the other but for a Mithra Pld, which would be better?
We have a tendency to need STR. Were I the puss in your boots, I would go for the RKAS and +2 STR.

Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tsybil wrote:
Draugadon wrote:... at 50 should i get the Royal Knights Army Shield or the Temple Knights Army Shield...

We have a tendency to need STR. Were I the puss in your boots, I would go for the RKAS and +2 STR.

which basically means PLDs are waaaaaaaaay better then a war/whm which im giving up completly, i'm changing to thf/monk..... lvl7 thf/lvl1 mnk....
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Tailfeather
Housecat

Post by Tailfeather »

well im a Mithran PLD, its real nice ^_^ cause now i can finally start help ppl, ofcourse im a little low lvled to plvl, but i can plvl the ones that are in lvl 1-10, but then i cant really ;(

its also nice to be a pld if you enjoy pts, your one of the most wanted persons ^^;; can be quite troublesome sumtimes when you get too many invites... it has happend to me sometimes...

PLD/WHM is a nice setting to help ppl out with, and might be useful if your ptsettings allows it, that meens, if you dont have to tank, then you are a "DD" and a support healer instead of "DD" and maintank...

but as many here says, PLD/WAR is the most comon for the pt
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Mithra Paladin?

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Mithra Paladin?

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting