The big M backs down!

Well as it sais, all Xbox related stuff goes here.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

The big M backs down!

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Apparently, faced with the simple fact that there is competition in the platform field, competition that actually understands its customer base, and realizing that the sales ratio was looking like 10 or 20 PS4 units to every Xbox One, Microsoft pulled a strategic retreat.

Forbes

c/net

Would you like a serving of crow with that Mr. Mattrick?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Re: The big M backs down!

Post by Sugami »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:Would you like a serving of crow with that Mr. Mattrick?
I don't get it :lol:

Well it's good to see that MS isn't completely stupid, sadly the one thing they can't back pedal on is the price, can blame the inclusion of stupid Kinect for that. Oh well, give it a year and we'll see if they're able to drop the price a bit.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:
Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:Would you like a serving of crow with that Mr. Mattrick?
I don't get it :lol:
He is the head of the Xbox division.

And I thought we yanks got the eating crow thing with our British heritage.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Good on them for listening. All they need to do now is remove the unacceptable mandatory kinect and they have a competitive product.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

If you don't have Kinect, what is the XB1 but a weaker version of the PS4? M$ should just sell the whole division to Apple.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Don't really care that it is weaker..games will be made for it that interest me and are only on it. The Kinect isn't a selling point for me and from the looks of things most gamers. It is aimed at casual's and nothing else. The price point alone makes this thing a contradiction as the price point is clearly well beyond the casual market. So really it's only purpose is it doesn't have one. It needs to go.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Tivia wrote:games will be made for it that interest me and are only on it.
And for me that's also the one and only selling point of any console.
Even if MS would not have backed down from the online every 24 hours part and borrowed/second hand games part, if an exclusive would turn up relevant to my personal interest I'd eventually still get myself one.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:And I thought we yanks got the eating crow thing with our British heritage.
Err... don't know the crow thing :lol:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eating_crow
Wiki says it's American :lol:

The 24hr thing and used games made some sense but eh. They needed some form of DRM for installing games without use of disk and the 24hr was supposed to be that, pretty shoddy answer to DRM but oh well (they not learn from EA?). As for used games, game developers really do get shafted by them, would be nice for them to get something from used games but it all seemed rather messy.

XBone will be successful to some degree, think of all those Halo-junkies that need their fix :P
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:.... As for used games, game developers really do get shafted by them, would be nice for them to get something from used games ....
They already did. They got their share when it sold new.

Should I have payed a royalty to GM when I bought a 1998 truck recently? How about the used books I buy?

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

You've got a point, I remember seeing a compelling argument against it by the guys over at Extra Credits but I can't remember which episode it was from.

You're not paying extra, just the developers are getting a fraction of the sale. I think the argument is something like used games are taking away profit from the developers, money which would then go into funding more games. But eh, I'll concede on the used car analogy :P
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Shirai wrote:
Tivia wrote:games will be made for it that interest me and are only on it.
And for me that's also the one and only selling point of any console.
Even if MS would not have backed down from the online every 24 hours part and borrowed/second hand games part, if an exclusive would turn up relevant to my personal interest I'd eventually still get myself one.
That is where we differ. I on the other hand will absolutely not if that exclusive comes with giving up my consumer rights and privacy. There is a reason why I do not and never will use Steam, Origin and crap like Facebook and twitter for that matter.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

That's the problem isn't it?

Those AAA games are expensive to produce and that makes the publishers do anything and everything they can get away with.

So I do support stuff like Steam. After all, you DO use Google right? Even better, something like GOG (totally and always DRM free or they won't sell it). But not Origin. I don't really think of Steam as a game distribution service anyway. Valve tends to force publishers to do a few things to get on Steam (indie devs are not too happy about these too) but for consumers, they do give us a little sugar to go with the DRM if any. Online storage, matchmaking services and what not. AND... offline play (if the game allows it).

As long as humans are human, we'll have war and software piracy. And we'll continue to think of stuff that annoys legitimate user and slightly inconveniences the pirates.

Still, comparing Steam with GOG. Both are online distribution services... but you got admit, GOG's library is far smaller. So future games will look a lot like MMOs... in that you need to be online somehow to access them. OR... we can go back to dongles and cartridges (which WERE pirated, incidentally).

Remember how it was in the 'arcades'... would you like to see...

Game Requirements:
Valid Credit Card
Broadband access

- pay per PLAY. Everytime you start up the game or perhaps by the hour.

It won't happen? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onlive Already did.