Guild Wars 2

A place to talk about... anything!
Sugami
Anime cat

Guild Wars 2

Post by Sugami »

Anyone got it? Just installing it now, hopefully it's as awesome as it looks :)

So the main difference between it and the first game is "persistent worlds" I guess, unlike the first game where you'd only see other people in towns unless you're in a party GW2 has the classic open worlds that you'll find from regular MMOs, the one difference is that if the map is full you'll be put into a second "spill-over" area in a queue until there's room for you. Sometimes the spill-over map has enough people in it to warrant taking part in various events. You'll get instances just for you (and probably party), much like in FF14, for special quests. Due to having persistent worlds you have to choose your world/server at the start and sadly this seems to stick for all your characters, you have to buy a pass to swap servers.

The really cool thing I like is that they promote exploration. The city maps are gorgeous and expansive and every map has "points of interest" as well as way points and other "hidden" things I forget the name of, getting any of these will reward you with experience and if you complete a map you get a bonus reward of exp and moneys.

Looks like you get 5 character slots to play with, there doesn't seem to be sub-classes or whatever like the first game but I think you are able to swap classes.

I'm on Piken Square ATM, obviously it's an EU server.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Re: Guild Wars 2

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

You WANT to look at this article by Tom's Hardware:

Guild Wars 2: Your Graphics Card And CPU Performance Guide

About hardware / in game settings / performance.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Hmm.. The only bottleneck I see could be my slightly dated graphics card, which is a GTX470.
I upgraded the rest of my machine between February and July of this year and everyone is telling me that the differences between my GPU and those of the current generation aren't that big aside from processing speed.
Looking at that review, it does look like my system has a few good years left in it especially since I play all my games windowed at lower resolutions.

Since most gaming websites have been blocked at work and can't look it up from here.
Is Guild Wars 2 Free to Play like the original? If so, I may give it a spin.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Cool beans, I'll give that article a look.

And yup it is still free to play :) which is surprising considering they'll need to maintain more servers than before and there doesn't seem to be any micro transactions or anything :)

I got my ATI Radeon HD 5700 about a year ago and now it's bottom of the range? :oops: Actually was 2 years ago methinks, launch of FF14. Thought it'd be fine but looks like I'll have to upgrade the GFX card as well :oops:
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sold out, sold out everywhere!
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Wow :O Gotta say I'm loving GW2 currently, the only thing that bugs me is that you need to "grind" to get to the "recommended" level for the story quest most of the time and even then I often find it very hard and die a lot. Luckily grinding doesn't feel like grinding since pretty much everything gives you exp; killing mobs, events, quests, finding new areas, finding new points of interest, finding "vistas", harvesting/logging/mining, crafting, doing enough of a lot above mentioned and the list goes on.

Moved to Fissues of Woe server. Currently you can move around between servers free of cost as much as you like but after the "launch period" is over there'll be a cost of game currency depending on how busy the server is and you won't be able to swap again for a week.

Also Oh Em Gee the landscapes are simply breathtaking, so huge and vast with so much detail put into them and I've only touched part of the world map. It's enough to make FFXI blush.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:Moved to Fissues of Woe server. Currently you can move around between servers free of cost as much as you like but after the "launch period" is over there'll be a cost of game currency depending on how busy the server is and you won't be able to swap again for a week.
I picked up my copy last night, still really figuring out game mechanics and getting used to the controls while I walk around generally punching things, doing sidequests and tossing items I'm not supposed to toss. (My SHIELD for example!! ; ; )

I play on Yak's bend myself as I have a few RL friends on that server.
Also Oh Em Gee the landscapes are simply breathtaking, so huge and vast with so much detail put into them and I've only touched part of the world map. It's enough to make FFXI blush.
It's a bit unfair to compare the graphics engine of a recently released game with that of a 10 year old game. ;)
That said, my PC plays this game flawlessly at 1080p (On high settings!) despite having a slightly aged graphics card and even having 2 instances of FFXI running at the same time.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Shirai wrote:That said, my PC plays this game flawlessly at 1080p (On high settings!) despite having a slightly aged graphics card and even having 2 instances of FFXI running at the same time.
wow... Makes me wonder about your specs.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

2 instances of FFXI? (Didn't know it let you do that) :shock:

There's some cool stuff that took me a while to figure out. Like the "deposit all collectibles" or whatever option in your inventory so you don't need to keep running back to a crafting station. Also allows you to store multiple ingredients (doesn't appear to be a limit) and a small bank for other items that spans across your whole account so all your characters have access to the one "bank". There's really no reason to sell or destroy base ingredients.

Still deciding on my favourite class. Put a fair bit of time into Engineer (human female), Necromancer (human female) and Theif (norn female) with a small bit of time into Elementalist (plant lady) and Warrior (norn female).
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:
Shirai wrote:That said, my PC plays this game flawlessly at 1080p (On high settings!) despite having a slightly aged graphics card and even having 2 instances of FFXI running at the same time.
wow... Makes me wonder about your specs.
case
Power Supply Unit
Mainboard
memory (4x4GB)
CPU (Overclocked to 4.5Ghz.)
CPU Cooler
Memory cooling and monitoring kit
My slightly aged graphics card
Hard drives (2 drives: 128 GB for OS and apps and 60 GB for games)
Hard drive (40 GB SSD dedicated swapfile)
And a 1TB mechanical HD for downloads etc.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Quick question: Do I need an uber computer to play at High quality without it running like crap?
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

No, not at all.

If I may give you one advise:
Get yourself a Solid state Hard drive to run your OS and games from, yes they are expensive in comparison to the storage space you get but it is absolutely worth the money and it will improve your gaming experience a lot!
The OCZ Agility disks I have are very reasonably priced disks with a very good performance.

One of the reasons I recommend this is because the slow read/write rate of mechanical hard drives is one of the main causes for lag in large games these days.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:2 instances of FFXI? (Didn't know it let you do that) :shock:
It doesn't.

It takes windower to do that. Most dual boxers do it that way. Someone on another forum runs three.
Shirai wrote:....
Mainboard
Oddest looking MB I have yet seen. I take it the shroud is for a built in dedicated MB cooling system.

Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Shirai wrote:....
Mainboard
Oddest looking MB I have yet seen. I take it the shroud is for a built in dedicated MB cooling system.
That, dust protection and the mainboard just looks incredibly cool.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:It doesn't.

It takes windower to do that. Most dual boxers do it that way. Someone on another forum runs three.
Oh, I thought they just used two boxes :lol:
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Are they f**king kidding me?! :?:
A log-in attempt from the following location is currently awaiting your authorization.

Address: 1.80.143.41
City: Xian
Region: 26

This location is approximated based on information provided by your Internet Service Provider. If in doubt, deny the request and try again.
RMT are already trying to steal accounts... guess I'll take a look at it later tonight, reset my passwords and bombard my computer with several antivirus/spyware/malware scans again...

[edit]
Hrm... system is clean... how the hell did they get my account data...
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Lucky guess? I got one of those emails but then found out it was me trying to access my account :lol:
xaresity
Queen Cat

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting