Another step for me.

A place to talk about... anything!
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Another step for me.

Post by Fiye »

Well, today I just about started the process of which I build my future. I decided to hit up a Navy recruiter and talk about my future (Father was supervising to make sure I didn't get caught up in any crap.). Well, after a pre-ASVAB test that scored at 96 and a few other things, I found out that my ASVAB test will take place on the 5th in San Diego, CA. And if all goes well with my medical, I'll have a good idea of my deployment date.

Anyone got hints and suggestions on how everything will go? I'm pretty sure I'm healthy enough.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

My experience is pure Army, but the medical exam and entry is fairly simple/normal stuff for all services- nothing to really worry about. It (and probably your ASVAB) will be held at the MEPS (Military Entry Processing Station iirc) in San Diego which is probably also were any security interviews you might need for your specialty will be held- you should also find out/choose/confirm your occupation specialty the day of your medical exam if you haven't already.

Some specialties may require you to have more aptitude/qualifying exams or a certain GT score (this is part of the ASVAB scoring, its broken down into several areas for scoring), but from the sounds of it with your preASVAB, you'll be fine. The tests honestly aren't hard.

Night before you ship out, you'll be put up in a hotel and the next day you'll go to the MEPS to be sworn in (if you haven't already) and get your flight info. From there you'll go to the airport and head off to Basic.

At your Basic training site you'll most likely have a few days- a few weeks (depends on season and how many recruits they have coming in) at Inprocessing/Reception. More paper work, briefings, tests, medical screenings, etc. V ery boring stuff really.

I think Navy Basic is 9 weeks (not sure about that) which will be full of very very boring lessons about military + navy life, ranks, basic duties of a Seamen, first aid, PT (physical training) and maybe some weapons qualifying- honestly don't know if Navy personnel need to qualify on basic weapons or not.

Basic will be a different experience for you- expect your Drill Instructors (not sure what the Navy calls them) to be hard on everyone the first few days to a week or so. As the cycle moves forward they'll relax a little. If you keep your stuff straight, pay attention and don't call attention to yourself too much you'll be fine. As for packing- I recommend only bringing basic toiletries and a change of clothes (with running shoes) in an easily carried bag. You'll have a chance to go to the Base Exchange on and off in Basic for other neccsities like laundry soap as you go.

From there you'll move too your advanced training (the Army calls it Advanced Individual Training or AIT)- where you'll learn your military job. Depending on your specialty you might be on a joint (more than one service) base or have joint classes. You might also have to go to a specialty course before starting your MOS training.

After I left Basic I went to DLIFLC in Monterey Cali for a year for Korean Language before even starting my AIT training. DLI was an Army run joint base while AIT was an Air Force Base.

Hope this helps some, and good luck!
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Navy Basic is 12 weeks. If you pursue into the SEALS it's an additional 12 Weeks. In SEALS Training it isn't uncommon to see Marines join in aswell. Usually Force Recon.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Former AF here, Scarlett pretty much hit the MEPS process on the nose.

However that said, honestly see if you can get into an ROTC program. With an AsVAB of 90+ you can get almost a free ride through their rotc program and graduate with a commission making what nearly top enlisted make vs what base level enlisted make. I chose to go the enlisted route because I was young, stupid and in love and that person had to go enlisted. While I don't regret joining the military, I have always regretted going enlisted. I had a 98 on my asvab and the rotc programs were offering me a free ride in college and I didn't take it. I have kicked myself in the ass for years over it.

Also, 80% of what your recruiter tells you is at best a stretching of reality. Be prepared for that if you chose to remain enlisted. I hold no ill to my recruiter, but what he told me and what things actually were, was Very Very Different.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Actually, my recruiters have been very down to earth with me. They're telling me not to go head-first into ASVAB. Take my time with it and have a plan B with it because I might not score high enough to get into Nuke, or IT might be filled.

Though, I'm not going for Navy Spec-ops. If anything I'll aim for Nuke, and if I can't manage that for some reason, I'll hopefully end up in the IT field, or having to take something else and later on switch into IT.

Most of the time spent with my recruiter is paper work and making sure I want to do this.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Why you'd want to join the armed forces at this time I do not know :? Navy is better than the Army though...
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Sugami wrote:Why you'd want to join the armed forces at this time I do not know :? Navy is better than the Army though...
Anything is better then Army. Although Navy?! NAVY?! Peh...... That being said from a USMC Brat :P
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Fiye wrote:Actually, my recruiters have been very down to earth with me. They're telling me not to go head-first into ASVAB. Take my time with it and have a plan B with it because I might not score high enough to get into Nuke, or IT might be filled.

Though, I'm not going for Navy Spec-ops. If anything I'll aim for Nuke, and if I can't manage that for some reason, I'll hopefully end up in the IT field, or having to take something else and later on switch into IT.

Most of the time spent with my recruiter is paper work and making sure I want to do this.
I was a glowworm as well. Though to this day I cannot fathom why they required such a high asvab for it, nuke in military = glorified grease monkey. I will leave it at that to avoid saying anything I shouldn't.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Hey now...the ARMY isn't that bad- we just like destroying things and finding stuff to destroy.

I was actually MI analyst with a focus on Korea language. Very fun stuff and I absolutely loved my job but after my son came along I was ready to move on and actually find daylight again after 3 years being in a windowless facility. :lol:

Found an interesting article on what Navy Boot is like- don't know how accurate/current it is, but was an interesting read. Navy Basic

Brought back some memories :lol:
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Alternate paths with the Navy:

Used to be if you did the Reserves, you went to basic and advanced training, then into the active reserves for 4 years. There you can simply study and test to gain rank. At the end of your active reserves, you serve out the rest of your six year contract as an E 5 or E 6.

If they still do it this way, look into it. You will get trained to a higher rank than if you do the 4 active 2 inactive route. When you are on active duty, you have to wait for the job you have to open at the rank you just tested to before you can get promoted. In the reserves, you test, you pass, you get promoted.

Scholarships. There are several scholarship programs in any military branch. ROTC scholarships are fairly easy to get, and give you tuition, some other college payment, and the pay and allowances of an E 5. Annapolis is also possible from the enlisted ranks.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Well, after the 96 Pre-ASVAB test they were saying I could possibly get into Nuke.

Tuesday I'll find out if I manage to qualify for that, and if I do, I'll go through another test, for the nuke, and when/if I pass that, I'll go into Nuke school.

It'll take two years, but I'll get get with most of my Associate credits and E-5 ranking.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Well I wasn't dissing what the Army does, although the grunts generally come off as brainless sheep (worse still the American ones :P).

But joining the armed forces (more the Army) now is like signing your death certificate, it's kinda grim but we live in grim times.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Hey Hey Hey! My daddy's Force Recon. Far from "mindless sheep." Lots of Black Ops stuff, although not so much anymore. Now more of a trainer and a reservist, around march when his active duty expires and he goes back down to a reservist.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Sugami wrote:But joining the armed forces (more the Army) now is like signing your death certificate, it's kinda grim but we live in grim times.
Oh come on Sugami. You're acting like I'm going to Iran in briefs. I'm joining the U.S. Navy.

And if I do die, feh. I'm dead, what do I care?

But really, I'll be fine, and if I was really interested in ground combat, I would have gone into Spec-Ops or joined the Marines.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

You won't get sent into Iraq, just get captured near Iran (like what happened to some British Navy ships :P).
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Sugami wrote:You won't get sent into Iraq, just get captured near Iran (like what happened to some British Navy ships :P).
That's because you brits would stop in the middle of a House takedown for High Tea! (Just kidding)
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Its 11:14 P.M. and I've been up since 3:30 A.M. I swear to god I'm so fucking worn down, but I went through the San Diego MEPS station from monday all the way through today and finally got sworn in

Now for sleep!

IMMA SAILORBOY MA!
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

/cues Anchors Aweigh

Congratulations and Good luck!!!

When do you leave for Boot?

Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

October 6th, 2009

Of course, the date is tentative. Right now I'm into the AECF due to the fact my grades have to be reviewed before I get passed into Nuke.

But I passed the NAP test and got a 93% on my ASVAB.

All looks good so far.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Quite a long wait, boot camp only start up a few times a year?
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:Quite a long wait, boot camp only start up a few times a year?
I'd say so, they do need enough people to make a platoon.
And even though they get enough applications, they have to turn down a lot of them on different physical and/or mental grounds.
(I for one wouldn't like to be protected by an army of people that go to the army 'because they like to shoot people')
Even then a lot of recruits that do get through the initial selection process drop out during boot camp.

Training grunts individually would also cost too much money even for the army.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Well, my probably is I'm going through Nuke schooling. SOmething that takes a good two years to complete. And seeing as I have a 93% on my ASVAB.

Its not like a lot of people can do the same.

Other people I was with got shipping dates as close as feb, a few in august, and etc...

Honestly, I'd love to ship out in August.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Shirai wrote:I'd say so, they do need enough people to make a platoon.
And even though they get enough applications, they have to turn down a lot of them on different physical and/or mental grounds.
(I for one wouldn't like to be protected by an army of people that go to the army 'because they like to shoot people')
Even then a lot of recruits that do get through the initial selection process drop out during boot camp.
You Europeans have no idea of the scale of this country.* Company, not platoon, and for the Navy it starts several times a month.

The only people we turn down on mental grounds are catatonic schizophrenics. The people who like to shoot people face a heavy recruiting effort from many police depts and our "security" companies.

We do not have the option of dropping out during boot camp.

*For instance the entire population of Lyden could be mugged in NY's Central Park on a slow night.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Tsybil wrote:The only people we turn down on mental grounds are catatonic schizophrenics. The people who like to shoot people face a heavy recruiting effort from many police depts and our "security" companies.
No offense but am I the only one that finds this somewhat scary? :shock:

I thought things like the movies Jarhead and Full metal jacket (although masterpieces on their own) to be pure fiction (leaving out the odd exception here and there), but reading the above I shudder at the thought that the pictures painted might actually be more real then I thought...
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Shirai wrote: No offense but am I the only one that finds this somewhat scary? :shock:

I thought things like the movies Jarhead and Full metal jacket (although masterpieces on their own) to be pure fiction (leaving out the odd exception here and there), but reading the above I shudder at the thought that the pictures painted might actually be more real then I thought...
I'm going into the Navy, so its not very gun intensive. The only chance we'll get to fire live rounds is on Week 5.

If at any time the gun is NOT pointed towards firing range, a Chief will pull it up and instruct you away.

I know I won't be in the safest position in the world. By being a member of the United States Military. However, looking at my other options, this is as good as I can get.

I'll be able to use my noodle, get some sense and discipline beaten into me, and then some free college.

Not to mention I get to learn how to live away from my parents.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Summer is traditionally a busy season for boot in all the services and the training units get filled up quickly. With only one training base for the entire Navy, I wouldn't be surprised if the earlier dates were at or above manning requirements so they bumped you to the Oct date.

It happens. I had friends who got to reception and waited nearly a month for their unit assignment to actually get started in Basic during the summer.

FMJ is one of my favorite movies and quite a bit of the basic training is pretty accurate for the time period- it has changed a bit since then- not quite as brutal overall, a bit more pc since with the exception of the Marines and some Combat specialties in the Army woman train with men so no explicit cadence calls, the Drills can't physically touch you, you must have a partner "battle buddy" with you at all times, etc- but its still an intense experience.

Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Shirai wrote:
Tsybil wrote:The only people we turn down on mental grounds are catatonic schizophrenics. The people who like to shoot people face a heavy recruiting effort from many police depts and our "security" companies.
No offense but am I the only one that finds this somewhat scary? :shock:

You do know that our foreign policy under the outgoing administration has been based on the TV show 24 don't you? This is NOT one of my flippant comments, but has been discussed in our news. (Yes, I do make a lot of flippant comments.)

Every. Single. War. Movie. has far more fact in it than anyone of us would like. Except maybe Kelly's Heroes.

The University of Washington once hosted a Police Explorer Scout 2 week summer training session. I have NEVER seen so many high school bullies in my life.

For every war of the 20th and 21st centuries, we have recruited criminals under the get out of jail to shoot people program (not an official name). Well not lifers, but it is a traditional wartime sentencing option for first and second offenders. Violent crimes are not filtered out, although drug crimes have been.

During Viet Nam Police Depts recruited in 'Nam itself, and were allowed to offer a 3 month early out. As first offenders almost always got their record erased under the GOOJTSP program, who knows how many criminals became cops then.

The USA is a scary place in a lot of ways. You live in a far more civilized country.

ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Not entirely correct Tsybil- anyone who is convicted of a felony or is banned from being around firearms can not legally be in the military under normal circumstances. I make no claims as to what CIA and black ops recruiting is like.

But yea, "Prison or join the Marines" is a common choice still today in some areas.

With drug use, unless its a felony conviction and as long as you're honest about any arrests/rehab/usage to your recruiter and at any security interviews there's no penalty for past drug use. You do need to stay clean- Army regs states that each unit must do a 10% of personnel random drug test every month and 100% at least once a year. I knew several people who were kicked out (and prosecuted under UCMJ) for drug use- in one case a sailor had a meth lab in his locker.

In another case I know of- bunch of young dumb and stupid infantry guys (not that there are really any other type- lol ) got drunk and happy off some banned alcohol and prescription meds.

All but one got kicked out, he got demoted from E-4 (P) to E-1 and was put on what's called Article 15 or restriction for two weeks because he had a good performance record and was his first time screwing up like that. His wife was not happy with him when she heard...

However, if you go to your closest superior and admit that you have a drug/alcohol problem you can get help and stay in the service under most circumstances.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Shirai wrote:I for one wouldn't like to be protected by an army of people that go to the army 'because they like to shoot people'.
I thought that's the reason why Americans joined the army :P Hur hur guns :?
Tsybil wrote:You Europeans have no idea of the scale of this country.
We're not stupid, we do know how big America is :P
Fiye wrote:Not to mention I get to learn how to live away from my parents.
That's what university is for :P
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:
Tsybil wrote:You Europeans have no idea of the scale of this country.
We're not stupid, we do know how big America is :P
Not only are you not stupid, you get a far better education than we do. But in general Europeans, who may know the size of our country in numbers, have no real idea of its scale. One is intellectual knowledge, the other from personal experience.

There is quite a difference in learning that America is over 5,000 Km from coast to coast and taking 4 or 5 days to drive across it.

Examples from my life:

Some Dutch friends, in Seattle for the Magic: the Gathering world championships were looking at a map of the states of Washington and Oregon planing a post tourney trip. They complained that our American maps had no details.

"Details? Like what?"

"Streets in the towns"

I pointed out that the distance from Seattle to Spokane was 500 Km and the map was about 700 Km by 800 + Km.

Their eyes went wide. "oh..." was the only response.

One fall I picked up a German hitchhiker in Wyoming who was heading to the east coast. He had landed originally in N. Y. and flown to LA. He was now trying to actually see the country he had flown over.

He was on break from college studying agricultural agronomy. We were in the western great plains, traversing through hundreds of miles of sunflowers. He was telling us a wonderful BS story about fields in Germany "so big the combines go up them one day and come back the next." I am smiling to myself. That time of year you cannot see over the sunflowers, but the next crop east is corn. You can see over the corn.

As if on cue, we topped an overpass and spread out before us, horizon to horizon was corn. I will swear that I saw in his eyes the same haunted look as was in the eyes of the German troops of WWII when they hit the Russian steps.

"Mein Got..... where are the fences?"

There were no fences. It was all one farm. Horizon to horizon. He had never seen the horizon on land before in his life.