Xmas Time Is Alsmost Here. What's your plans?

A place to talk about... anything!
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Xmas Time Is Alsmost Here. What's your plans?

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Another 'what are you doing for this holiday?' thread? Yes. I like to know what others do around the holidays. It just usually means we all have traditions. Or make new ones as I am about to do. Thanksgiving I'm going to be in North Carolina for a Baja race as my sister in law's onboard co-pilot and mechanic. Well after researching the area (we'll be at a holiday inn express) I found a nice little Cabin Resort. Me, my husband, his sister and my brother (their both an Item o.O), and our Friend Jamie and her new b/f and newcomer to our circle of friends, Toby, and our 2 dogs, Aurore the husky and Mystic the german shephard are going out there.

A side story as this pertains. Last month I found an imported Mitsubishi L200 rebadged as a Triton (same vehicle.) for 1500. Had offroad armor + a brush guard and winch but a dead engine. I bought it. Been saving money and at the end of this month, I'm having a turbo diesel engine brought in from an engine rebuilder in Ontario. 6500 is expensive, but I'm sacrificing a few, and by a few I mean The entire fall video game lineup + a few non necessary mods for my eclipse, to rebuild this truck. The intention is to have a pickup to tow mine and my husband's car to out of state venues, like this upcoming vacation. Although for the maiden run, it's going to be my brother's lancer as we need a 4 door vehicle. The trailer we plan to use is a 2 axle car trailer, enclosed that belongs to my uncle. He hasn't used it since last year and I'm going to give it a nice 3 inch lift to match my truck. North Carolina, Offroading = fun~

But further more, we're going to be meeting my daddy up there who right now is headed back to Quantico, VA to finish his active duty service time, which is set to expire December 31st to which the USMC is sending him back to his Reserve post at 9th Marine Corps District in Joliet, IL. Also I'm bringing the xmas train. 1:29 G-Scale Holiday fun~

Those are my plans. Yours?
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Being Jewish I get to not do Xmas. :lol: :lol:

Usually I go out for Xmas dinner to a Chinese restaurant.

At this point in the year I haven't even looked to see when Chanukah starts.

I will light the candles all eight nights. Last year I lit virtual candles on line on IMVU as well.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Sure you do, the rest of the heathens do so I don't see why you can't as well :lol:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/ ... olly-xmas/

I should start a compaign to reclaim Christmas, Christians only bitches!
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Sugami wrote:Sure you do, the rest of the heathens do so I don't see why you can't as well :lol:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic/2007/ ... olly-xmas/

I should start a compaign to reclaim Christmas, Christians only bitches!
Rofl~ Hey there really isn't a Buddhist tradition for xmas itself, yet that doesn't stop me xD Also I have a friend whose an Irish Jew, he throws awesome parties~
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Christmas does not really have a special meaning for me, other then getting together with the family eat good food and exchange presents.

This year however I'll need to watch the food a bit as the pounds have been flying on ever since I quit smoking :oops:
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:I should start a compaign to reclaim Christmas, Christians only bitches!
As a student of theology, I could talk about Xmas, its theological importance, meaning, and its displacement in time from the biblical record of the birth of Jesus.

But I shan't.

I could talk about the theological meaning off the term Xmas vs. Christmas too.

Here in America the intolerant Christian right is attempting to make Xmas mandatory for all. "Don't you dare wish me happy holidays, you are trying to steal my Christmas." If you don't use "Merry Christmas" to these types they will proceed to punch your face in just to show you the true meaning of Christian love, tolerance, and acceptance.

During the Reagan administration the Supreme Court ruled that Xmas is not a religious holiday. :shock: Really, they did. Which surprised me as I always considered Xmas the most important holiday in that most popular of all religions, and one guarded closely by our Supremes, the worship of the almighty dollar.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tsybil wrote:
Sugami wrote:I should start a compaign to reclaim Christmas, Christians only bitches!
As a student of theology, I could talk about Xmas, its theological importance, meaning, and its displacement in time from the biblical record of the birth of Jesus.

But I shan't.

Here in America the intolerant Christian right is attempting to make Xmas mandatory for all. "Don't you dare wish me happy holidays, you are trying to steal my Christmas." If you don't use "Merry Christmas" to these types they will proceed to punch your face in just to show you the true meaning of Christian love, tolerance, and acceptance.

During the Reagan administration the Supreme Court ruled that Xmas is not a religious holiday. :shock: Really, they did. Which surprised me as I always considered Xmas the most important holiday in that most popular of all religions, and one guarded closely by our Supremes, the worship of the almighty dollar.
Touche, well to be honest, Xmas, religious or not, depending on the person(s), The one thing I hate about xmas is the Corporate Sellout Crap. During the cubs radio broadcasts an internet xmas tree site was sponsoring them.... IN SEPTEMBER O.o; Now we start xmas sales early, the news media extortion of "what's the hottest toy" etc. People get lost in material presents and crap during the holidays. Something I admit to have done. But this year is diffrent. My father being sent home from Afghanistan.... with 3 stars added to his purple heart....ALIVE For that matter, is something that is more then any of this corporate crap is. 7 Years old when he was wounded in Desert Storm, too young to understand what could have taken him away from life that christmas eve. Now I can appreciate what I have a bit more.

So tell me, When did Christmas go from Family, Friends, A Joyous holiday gathering, maybe a Train running around your tree (sorry had to plug that) to "Buy Buy Buy!" "Can't say Christmas because it has CHRIST in the start and that's religions" Political Correctness crap?

You know who I blame? Hallmark. There I Said It :3 I blame Gold Crown Stores! Okay I'm a dork I know. This year, is why we decided the resort in North Carolina would be good for us all, it's in the middle of backwoods NC, the only modern connection to the world is indoor plumbing (Thank Buddah.) and the resort has wireless net. But then again, the only thing I use the computer for during xmas is to watch ebay sales I usually have posted :3
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Tsybil wrote:But I shan't.
Aww :(
I always thought Xmas was just the lazy abbreviation for Christmas :lol: which it probably is over here in jolly ol' England.
Never amazes me by the stupidity of America :lol:

Actually Easter is more important than Christmas (to the people who matter :P). The resurrection of Christ allowing us to be forgiven and go to heaven (or something like that).

Anyways I'm not all that religious despite being raised Roman Catholic :P Haven't gone to church in years but I still call myself a Christian and thus can celebrity Christmas and not be a big smelly heathen :P
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

KarouKaniyashia wrote:So tell me, When did Christmas go from Family, Friends, A Joyous holiday gathering, maybe a Train running around your tree (sorry had to plug that) to "Buy Buy Buy!" "Can't say Christmas because it has CHRIST in the start and that's religions" Political Correctness crap?
Dickens griped about the commercialization of Xmas, so that makes it well over 130 years ago a the very least.

The Political Correctness stuff is quite recent, and a red herring from the intolerant christian right. They are frothing about the Politically Correct BS while starting their own campaign of Political Correctness. :roll:
Sugami wrote:Aww :(
OK, you asked for it.

Theologically Xmas is quite unimportant. The important part is having a big holiday at midwinter. Every single religion has a holiday then, and its usually a big party. So the Christians needed one too. It was part of the plan. Really, there was a conscious plan to assimilate all the pagan holy places and days into the Catholic practices. Amusingly enough all those wonderful Xmas traditions come from earlier, pagan, worship practices.

Only problem with Xmas is Jesus was not a Capricorn, he was an Aries or Taurus. Born in the spring when the shepherds were attending to their flocks in the hills.
Sugami wrote:I always thought Xmas was just the lazy abbreviation for Christmas :lol: which it probably is over here in jolly ol' England.
Christ's initials in Greek: XO. Chi Ro. Look it up. There are illuminated Chi Ros in bibles going back... well to the beginning of illuminated bibles. So X = Christ. Or it might be a lazy abbreviation, but it is an old, deeply theologically important lazy abbreviation. One year I printed up bumper stickers saying "Help keep the X in Xmas"

Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tsybil wrote:
KarouKaniyashia wrote:So tell me, When did Christmas go from Family, Friends, A Joyous holiday gathering, maybe a Train running around your tree (sorry had to plug that) to "Buy Buy Buy!" "Can't say Christmas because it has CHRIST in the start and that's religions" Political Correctness crap?
Dickens griped about the commercialization of Xmas, so that makes it well over 130 years ago a the very least.

The Political Correctness stuff is quite recent, and a red herring from the intolerant christian right. They are frothing about the Politically Correct BS while starting their own campaign of Political Correctness. :roll:
That long eh? Wow. Well I still stand against Commercilization. I understand how society relies on goods and services and am I against companies making money during the holidays? No. But they go out of their way to put the focus on them. People won't forget about your products around the holidays even if you don't say "Look at us Not traditions!" But then again Greed is a powerful.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Tsybil wrote:OK, you asked for it.

Theologically Xmas is quite unimportant. The important part is having a big holiday at midwinter. Every single religion has a holiday then, and its usually a big party. So the Christians needed one too. It was part of the plan. Really, there was a conscious plan to assimilate all the pagan holy places and days into the Catholic practices. Amusingly enough all those wonderful Xmas traditions come from earlier, pagan, worship practices.

Only problem with Xmas is Jesus was not a Capricorn, he was an Aries or Taurus. Born in the spring when the shepherds were attending to their flocks in the hills.
I believe it was a Roman Emperor who decided that Christ's Birthday was on the 25th December... could be wrong but I know "someone" decided it was then and I can't really remember why :lol:

What pagan worship practices? Eating turkey? :lol: Xmas mass is just a longer version of the regular ones, which breaks down into the Father saying a lot, singing hymns, communion... and that's it :lol:

Spring, huh? I thought they worked out his birthday was in January :lol:
Christ's initials in Greek: XO. Chi Ro. Look it up. There are illuminated Chi Ros in bibles going back... well to the beginning of illuminated bibles. So X = Christ. Or it might be a lazy abbreviation, but it is an old, deeply theologically important lazy abbreviation. One year I printed up bumper stickers saying "Help keep the X in Xmas"
I vote "old lazy Greek abbreviation" :lol:

"Xmas" the usual thing to hear in America? Very rarely used over here :P
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:What pagan worship practices? Eating turkey? :lol:
The christmas tree for one example comes from a central european pagan ritual used long before the birth of Jesus actually.

But as a request from your friendly neighbourhood admin, please keep the conversation respectful and friendly.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:What pagan worship practices? Eating turkey? :lol:
Well, like the recently decannonized St Nick himself. Turned out to be one of many apocryphal Saints who were probably pagan demigods brought into the Catholic calender.

That lump of coal thing? From the Netherlands's Black Peter, another Santa precursor who predates Christianity.

The crown of candles seen in Nordic countries dates back to pagan Vikings as does the yule log.

About every part of the Brit boxing day party dates back to Roman times except the poppers.

I once gave a not Xmas party. Everyone had to bring a seasonal non- Christian Tradition. My wise ass friends did not disappoint me, every last tradition they brought was one incorporated into Xmas, there were dozens. I should have video taped it.

The eating turkey part came to us from the English, mostly Cristian at the time. :lol: :lol:
Sugami wrote:"Xmas" the usual thing to hear in America? Very rarely used over here :P
Oh no, used sometimes not often. The intolerant Christian right has a war against the term, part of their "Don't steal my Christmas" campaign. I got into the habit of using it long ago just to piss that type off. :lol: :lol:

Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Tsybil wrote:That lump of coal thing? From the Netherlands's Black Peter, another Santa precursor who predates Christianity.
Funny you bring this up, because that one doesn't really predate christianity but is part of a Dutch anual tradition still followed even today.

The celebration of the birthday of Saint Nicholas of Myra
A christian Arch Bishop.
(Although in reality december 6th is the day he died)
Who's helper Zwarte Piet (roughly translated Black Peter) is said to slide down chimneys to leave presents in the shoes of good children while the bad children were left with a lump of charcoal according to Dutch folklore.
In other stories told saint Nick would take the bad children back to spain in a big bag.

The funny part is the 'Sinterklaas' celebrations are ongoing right now here in the Netherlands.

Also funny is to note that our Sinterklaas is the same Santa Clause you know and that that specific part of the US christmas celebration derived from the Dutch culture into the American culture when New Amsterdam became New York.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

This christmas....

Wake up, go to Grandmother's House, open up presents, find out if this year is the year Mikalia's innocence is broken. (Last year she got tickets to see Hannah Montana/The Cyrus girl and her Grandmother [My Great Aunt] explained to everyone except Mikalia it would hopefully be the last Santa involved Chrismas). After that, we stay, I do whatever I do before its time to eat, we continue to do our stuff as people leave one by one before the day ends.

Aunt Cathy is coming over I think... though, I'm not too sure of anyone else in my family. Its pretty scattered and held together by our Baby Boomer generation on my father's mother side.

Beyond that, X-mas has always been the season of toys, gifts, and the almighty dollar. The old X-mas just about ended right when we dug ourselves out of that economic depression after WW2. At least, that's going off assumptions from knowledge I pulled from my brain from my arse-crack.

In other words; Christmas is what you make out of it.

As as far as Happy Holidays goes. I forget the name of the, now dead, comedian, but he did the "7 Dirty Words you can't say on Television" skit.

Anyways, one of his skits involved explaining how we make things sound nicer. "Crippled" versus "Handicapped" or 'Physically disabled".

Christmas is 2 syllables. Happy Holidays is 5 syllables. TBH, the latter sounds nicer.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

We always have a train around our tree too^^ Going to be fun this year with the new puppy- my husband's birthday present lol. My cat is a mite pissed at me atm :lol:

I only see "Xmas" as written shorthand for Christmas. Don't really hear it spoken. As for the commercialization of Christmas- :roll: :roll:

A popular pop music radio station in my area has been playing nothing but holiday music since last friday!!!! The normal morning show is on as usual but even they are playing holiday music!! WERZ normally is about the only station everyone in the salon can agree on to listen too- but with the 24/7 Feliz Navidads we're having to go for "easy" listening elevator crap :x

I personally hate the PC nonsense too- some area schools have forbidden Holiday parties for fear of offending people who don't celebrate the season :roll: And don't get me started on the school's policy regarding Halloween :roll:

To be honest I'm not sure why I'm surprised- my son's been told he couldn't eat homemade chocolate chip cookies I sent him into school with "cause they weren't good for him. Riiiiight- 2 cookies is really going to make my already too skinny kid overweight :roll: Had that out with the lunch director in a hurry.

I'm Catholic but, my husband isn't religious at all so our Christmas traditions are centered more around family than faith- although I keep most of the traditions I grew up with. We do an Advent calendar (and not those cheap chocolate ones from the store either :lol:) and I do something on St. Nick's day every year and 3 King's Day.

I have a lot of pagan friends and they love pointing out how all the traditions (the tree, the carols talking about Yuletide, Yule logs, etc) are all from before Christ. I of course return the favor and point out the more Christain traditions/rites they keep :lol:

Anyway, this season we're having a nice quiet Christmas- its the first Christmas in 3 years my husband has been home without orders to have him deploy. I normally have all my siblings over on Boxing Day for us to exchange our gifts to each other but with one sister a newlywed and another still settling into her new job 4 hrs away we're giving it a pass this year unfortunately.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

ScarlettPheonix wrote:We always have a train around our tree too^^ Going to be fun this year with the new puppy- my husband's birthday present lol. My cat is a mite pissed at me atm :lol:

I only see "Xmas" as written shorthand for Christmas. Don't really hear it spoken. As for the commercialization of Christmas- :roll: :roll:

A popular pop music radio station in my area has been playing nothing but holiday music since last friday!!!! The normal morning show is on as usual but even they are playing holiday music!! WERZ normally is about the only station everyone in the salon can agree on to listen too- but with the 24/7 Feliz Navidads we're having to go for "easy" listening elevator crap :x

I personally hate the PC nonsense too- some area schools have forbidden Holiday parties for fear of offending people who don't celebrate the season :roll: And don't get me started on the school's policy regarding Halloween :roll:

To be honest I'm not sure why I'm surprised- my son's been told he couldn't eat homemade chocolate chip cookies I sent him into school with "cause they weren't good for him. Riiiiight- 2 cookies is really going to make my already too skinny kid overweight :roll: Had that out with the lunch director in a hurry.

I'm Catholic but, my husband isn't religious at all so our Christmas traditions are centered more around family than faith- although I keep most of the traditions I grew up with. We do an Advent calendar (and not those cheap chocolate ones from the store either :lol:) and I do something on St. Nick's day every year and 3 King's Day.

I have a lot of pagan friends and they love pointing out how all the traditions (the tree, the carols talking about Yuletide, Yule logs, etc) are all from before Christ. I of course return the favor and point out the more Christain traditions/rites they keep :lol:

Anyway, this season we're having a nice quiet Christmas- its the first Christmas in 3 years my husband has been home without orders to have him deploy. I normally have all my siblings over on Boxing Day for us to exchange our gifts to each other but with one sister a newlywed and another still settling into her new job 4 hrs away we're giving it a pass this year unfortunately.
Both of us being Buddhist our xmas celebrations are mostly about making chirstmas be about inner peace and balance with family and friends, oh and if you wanna see my train (been posting on my laptop w/ a sprint net car, we're in virgina right now on the road) here's a video I shot on a test track at my parent's house: *NOTE* The Locomotives have been modified since then http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5DwCKURLdE and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCq524RA ... re=related Ignore the low light, it fails hardcore rofl

The other tradition I have is my Garden Railroad Club has a get together on December 27th every year. We fire up the indoor and outdoor club layouts, people bring their equipment and we play Secret Santa. Although due to the price of G-Scale sized trains going up thanks to high gas prices for shipping, we've reduced the max spending limit to 30 bucks. As for xmas this year, I wanted to spend one with friends and some family members, this is only my second xmas married, and last year's plans fell through the ice (Christmas? Ice? *rimshot*). This year won't.

Also I know someone out there on the internet will be offended so here I go, "Happy Holidays My Arse. Merry Christmas!"
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I unfortunately hear alot of people saying xmas these days and it saddens me.

To be clear, I do not claim to be christian. I rather abhor organized religion at this point. Do not be confused though, I am spiritual I just don't buy into what I consider the part designed by man. My significant other is Wiccan and of course celebrates all the yule stuff and what not.

That all said..It was christmas though my entire childhood and well before that. I wish jackholes would quit trying to change it.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Shirai wrote:
Tsybil wrote:That lump of coal thing? From the Netherlands's Black Peter, another Santa precursor who predates Christianity.
Funny you bring this up, because that one doesn't really predate christianity but is part of a Dutch anual tradition still followed even today.
Just because something is practiced today does not mean it doesn't predate something else practiced today.
Shirai wrote:The celebration of the birthday of Saint Nicholas of Myra
A christian Arch Bishop.
(Although in reality december 6th is the day he died)
Who's helper Zwarte Piet (roughly translated Black Peter) is said to slide down chimneys to leave presents in the shoes of good children while the bad children were left with a lump of charcoal according to Dutch folklore.
In other stories told saint Nick would take the bad children back to spain in a big bag.

The funny part is the 'Sinterklaas' celebrations are ongoing right now here in the Netherlands.

Also funny is to note that our Sinterklaas is the same Santa Clause you know and that that specific part of the US christmas celebration derived from the Dutch culture into the American culture when New Amsterdam became New York.
A quick search shows the modern Black Peter is 19th century, but goes back to medieval times when he was a devil enslaved by your St. Nick. Then he dressed in the Spanish fashion, which is to say in black, and had overtones of a political nature.

I will take a more leisurely search later.

Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia, I actually say "Christmas". I type Xmas because A) I'm lazy and B) atm my brother is driving the Camper Van ATM and the road is under construction so It's hard to type correctly haha We're just about to the hotel in North Carolina~ wewt~
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I know most that type it xmas do say christmas. It is just the ones that say xmas that really irritate me.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:I know most that type it xmas do say christmas. It is just the ones that say xmas that really irritate me.
Get a Nerf Bat and Beat them then ^_^
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Shirai wrote:The christmas tree for one example comes from a central european pagan ritual used long before the birth of Jesus actually.
Guess that makes sense, don't imagine there were many pine trees over where Christ was born :lol: Although I'd imagine it came about with commericalization rather than the Church deciding it was a good idea :lol:
Tsybil wrote:Well, like the recently decannonized St Nick himself. Turned out to be one of many apocryphal Saints who were probably pagan demigods brought into the Catholic calender.

That lump of coal thing? From the Netherlands's Black Peter, another Santa precursor who predates Christianity.
I don't think Santa Claus/Father Christmas is really associated with Christianity. Lots of countries have different stories and mythologies about him or someone like him.
The crown of candles seen in Nordic countries dates back to pagan Vikings as does the yule log.
Crown of candles? :lol: Not sure I know what you're talking about, might be an American thing. And the whole "yule" stuff, never mentioned over here in England :)
About every part of the Brit boxing day party dates back to Roman times except the poppers.
Hehe Boxing Day party? Can't say I've actually been to one and the parties I'd imagine would just be a general gathering of people, haven't heard anything about special stuff done at the parties :lol:
Fiye wrote:Christmas is 2 syllables. Happy Holidays is 5 syllables. TBH, the latter sounds nicer.
But you'd say "Merry Christmas", which is 4 syllables :P
ScarlettPheonix wrote:We do an Advent calendar (and not those cheap chocolate ones from the store either ) and I do something on St. Nick's day every year and 3 King's Day.
Aww I love those chocolate advent calendars :lol: I have one every year :)

Train around the tree must be an American thing, can't say I've heard of people putting trains out over here :lol:

In the year 3000 people will be saying "Xmas" instead of "Christmas" and "ax" instead of "ask" :lol:
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

]Train around the tree must be an American thing, can't say I've heard of people putting trains out over here :lol:
It's funny because it really is. Used to be Lionel Trains where the tradition as they were the very definition of American Christmas. Now, however, Bigger G-Scale sized ones are the American choice, mostly because of Semi-Defunct LGB of Germany. /Beat Marklin We want our LGB BACK! *ahem* getting back on Track *rimshot* I'm horrible I know. They do the same thing in Germany too, but I don't do a simple circle around the tree, I get track running every which way, 2 main lines, switches, signals buildings and usually 2 trains running on a Digital Command Control (Basically DCC Lets 2 locomotives, run on 1 track at diffrent speeds.)
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

I have train envy now!!!! Our train is usually a simple battery powered one my father-in-law gave us when David was a baby.

Sug- iirc, the "Christmas tree" became widely popular during Queen Victoria's reign in England and spread to America during that time but the tradition of decorating houses with ivy and other greenery goes back even further. The Christmas tree outdoor lighting ceremony/holiday parades most likely have roots in pagan rites too.

Yule does date back to merry old england and even further back. All the old Christmas carols that talk about the yule season, yule tide and so on are from European traditions.

The Yule log was/is a big log that burns in the fire place during the holiday season. Old traditional pictures of St. Nick sometimes show him carrying a tree or yule log instead of presents. Even when I was a kid there was a tv station that would show a scene of a log burning in a fireplace with Christmas music playing in the background during the holiday season.

The halo of candles is from a Scandinavian tradition I think. The tradition I'm thinking of is a young girl dressed in a white gown wearing a crown of greenery with lit candles and a procession of other girls carrying candles. I think there are usually special pastries associated with the day too. St. Lucia's Day? I think thats right. .

There's definitely been a lot of blending of Christmas/holiday traditions- Scandinavian, German and English traditions all are used in one form or another still.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

ScarlettPheonix wrote:I have train envy now!!!! Our train is usually a simple battery powered one my father-in-law gave us when David was a baby.

Sug- iirc, the "Christmas tree" became widely popular during Queen Victoria's reign in England and spread to America during that time but the tradition of decorating houses with ivy and other greenery goes back even further. The Christmas tree outdoor lighting ceremony/holiday parades most likely have roots in pagan rites too.

Yule does date back to merry old england and even further back. All the old Christmas carols that talk about the yule season, yule tide and so on are from European traditions.

The Yule log was/is a big log that burns in the fire place during the holiday season. Old traditional pictures of St. Nick sometimes show him carrying a tree or yule log instead of presents. Even when I was a kid there was a tv station that would show a scene of a log burning in a fireplace with Christmas music playing in the background during the holiday season.

The halo of candles is from a Scandinavian tradition I think. The tradition I'm thinking of is a young girl dressed in a white gown wearing a crown of greenery with lit candles and a procession of other girls carrying candles. I think there are usually special pastries associated with the day too. St. Lucia's Day? I think thats right. .

There was definitely been a lot of blending of Christmas/holiday traditions- Scandinavian, German and English traditions all are used in one form or another still.
Christmas has many roots. Not one. Religion, Pagon, Secular, English, German.... The way I see it, Christmas shouldn't just be a religious celebration. Jewish? Buddhist? Catholic? Look the way I see it, Christmas has come to stand for Family and Friends, and to celebrate what we have because life can take it away in an instant. It's about spreading cheer to others so we can all agree on one thing, Christmas is definetly Human. Take that you laser toting space mutant aliens!
Rishutlaw
Tomcat

Post by Rishutlaw »

Despite my brother and I relinquishing our christian faith, we still cellebrate Christmas due to our strong christian parents. Stating my current religios views is a whole other story that I won't bother going into. Anyway, I'll be baking cookies, setting up the train, hanging stockings, decorating the tree, etc. I still need to finalize my christmas list to include only 1 or 2 new video games. So other than attending church, I will have a typical christmas.
Kiraku: [lvl 44 SAM] [Lvl 33 MNK] [lvl 25 WAR] [lvl 15 BST] [lvl 10 BLM] [lvl 10 WHM] [lvl 21 THF]

[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p192/okanestar789/Kir071223003827a.jpg[/img]
http://gamerhaven.forumotion.com/index.htm
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

These units have been modified since the taking of this photograph. Anyways these are mine, This is what I run around the tree.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

ScarlettPheonix wrote:iirc, the "Christmas tree" became widely popular during Queen Victoria's reign in England and spread to America during that time but the tradition of decorating houses with ivy and other greenery goes back even further. The Christmas tree outdoor lighting ceremony/holiday parades most likely have roots in pagan rites too.
I can see Queen Victoria taking a liking to the Christmas tree and she was the head of the Church of England :P
One of those old words we've phased out where the Americans still use it (due to lack of language progression :P).

Apparently both Celtic and Pagan celebration for the Winter Solstice (longest night around Dec 20th-25th).
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Xmas Time Is Alsmost Here. What's your plans?

Post by xaresity »