Gary Gygax, Dungeons & Dragons Co-Creator Dies at 69

A place to talk about... anything!
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Gary Gygax, Dungeons & Dragons Co-Creator Dies at 69

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

For those who might not know him, or think D&D is merely an obsolete game played by nerds; D&D is the first RPG. It was also the first popular non zero sum game. Indeed, I cannot think of another non zero sum game before it.

Story:

http://entertainment.msn.com/news/artic ... &GT1=28112

Let us all cast a Silence spell in his memory.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

/salute :(
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I hate DnD. Before you tell me to put a flame suit on, hear me out. I never liked the DnD system. But if this man hadn't help create it, there would be no White Wolf Publishing or World of Darkness RPGs. No Camerilla Club, No LARP RPGs.Everything I love is a byproduct of this man.

A silent tribute as we burn his character sheet in ceremony.

Gamers Unite, no matter what brand or game, this is a loss to us all.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:I hate DnD. Before you tell me to put a flame suit on, hear me out. I never liked the DnD system. But if this man hadn't help create it, there would be no White Wolf Publishing or World of Darkness RPGs. No Camerilla Club, No LARP RPGs.Everything I love is a byproduct of this man.

Could have left the whole "I hate DnD" comment out being thats what the man was known for helping create, pretty much his legacy he's leaving behind and just offer a salute/prayer ect instead of starting your post with it... think ahead Karou jesus...
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

69 dudes! ...

Penny-Arcade did a tribute to him ~> www.penny-arcade.com
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:I hate DnD. Before you tell me to put a flame suit on, hear me out. I never liked the DnD system. But if this man hadn't help create it, there would be no White Wolf Publishing or World of Darkness RPGs. No Camerilla Club, No LARP RPGs.Everything I love is a byproduct of this man.
You're actually giving him much too much credit. RPGs did exist before D&D -- even CRPGs existed before then (anyone else remember Colossal Caves?). He just made a game system for fantasy warfare with miniatures and then capitalized on it's popularity. The RP aspects were secondary. The entire thing was driven by a desire to put little models on a table and have them fight. He made D&D the Kleenex of RPGs, but he didn't invent tissue paper.

BTW, I agree with you about D&D. The system itself is horribly unbalanced and always has been. The only nice thing about D&D is the variety and depth of the various common "worlds" they've developed. Hmm. Depth is probably the wrong word -- they're highly stereotyped. Maybe Detailed would be better.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Ambrey wrote:

Could have left the whole "I hate DnD" comment out being thats what the man was known for helping create, pretty much his legacy he's leaving behind and just offer a salute/prayer ect instead of starting your post with it... think ahead Karou jesus...
Crap, Sorry Ambrey, I didn't mean to start the post that way whoops. I just came off like 15 hours straight under the hood of a lexus, my mind was fried and saddened at the whole time. He worked with Sword and Sorcery as well, open publishing that encompassed many companies, my favorite non WoD Game. However, if I could have had the chance to do DnD with that man personally, I would have taken that oppourtunity. FYI, According to White Wolf's Werewolf: the Forsaken Line Director, Ethan Skemp I quote, "It is possible, White Wolf and a few other RPG Companies will ban together for a tribute at Gen Con Indy this year. We would be looking for the support of our gamers as well as those of other gamers." I hope Mr Skemp is correct about this idea, We need to help make it a reality.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Gary Gygax, Dungeons & Dragons Co-Creator Dies at 69

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Gary Gygax, Dungeons & Dragons Co-Creator Dies at 69

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting