Odd player name meanings.

A place to talk about... anything!
Erpalacion
Kitten

Odd player name meanings.

Post by Erpalacion »

Ok, I got bored today and did a Google search on my player name (Nadacky) to see all the places I've posted at. Not only did the search find those posts but also found other places in a language I couldn't read. So I decided to investigate the meaning of this "name" I thought I made up.
I found out the language origin that those other posts I found were in; they were Czech. So I found a translator for it and tried it out... these were my results.

Czech to English:

Original text- Nadacky

Translated text- institution, foundation, fellowship, exhibition, endowment, dotation, benefaction

From what I gather of some of those words... I picked a really good name. XD

Any of you all ever wondered what your "odd" name means. It might already be in a language and you didn't know about it.

If you go looking I'd love to see some of the meanings if there are any.
The site I used was this one that I found:
http://www.translation-guide.com/free_o ... ations.htm
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Mine didn't show up on the site you linked to but I know it means Graceful in Irish.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

My name means "awesome" in awesomeese :P
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I hate you Japan. Okay here it goes.

Name: Kaoru
Origin: Japanese
Meaning: Fragant

Now you may notice that it doesn't exactly match my ingame name, well that's because its a commonly mispelled name in Japan, which i somehow managed to mispell. KaORU is the ID I intended to use and since I discovered it too little too late, and didnt wanna reset 20 levels of progress, I just kept it. I win on a technicality xD
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Erpalacion
Kitten

Post by Erpalacion »

Nice, nice. My intention of my characters' name was to be Nadia. I like the name for some odd reason. *shrug*
But someone at the time had already taken the name and it made me sad. T-T So I started playing around with the word "Nada" since it was like it and was just missing the "i" and though "key" sounded good in there. XD

I use a lot of odd names... Bolicus is my other original name I use in games. So if you see him, wave or something. Eppia is another but that's only because she was the only female Gladiator in Roman history to ever be mentioned. I wonder what "Bolicus" means... if anything. <.<
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Lol my overall Alter Ego name is Yumi because why in the living 'ell I was named after a continant is beyond me. It's like my parent's thought 'Hey lets throw a 'y' in there and it'll be diffrent!' Ya right. :roll:

Anyways for kicks, I'll post the info on Yumi:
Origin: Japanese
Meaning: Beautiful
Pronunciation:( YOO mee)

Also Keavy, you'res means Graceful in Irish? Drunker Then Thou Graceful?! O.O
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

Its all in the footwork :D

Unlike the other members of my Irish-American family- I can hold my liquor fairly well and so can walk around/dance in 3in+ heels with little problem. Much to my brother's disgust- I don't suffer from hangovers either :lol:

Anyway- my screen name for ages has been Scarlett Phoenix (Pheonix when the correct spelling is taken already) and when I went to make my character, both spellings of Phoenix were taken so and I didn't want to go really crazy on the spelling so I went with Pheonic.

As I met people that got quickly shortened to Phe (pronounced Fee or Fey usually) and sometimes PhePhe. Its gotten to the point that I don't recognize my name when someone spells it out now :lol:

Funny/cute story- when my son first started talking he referred to my cat Princess as Fifi (I have no idea how he came up with that one, but anyway) so I was kinda surprised when one of the guys in my social shell started calling me PhePhe.

Even more funny- about a year after my friend had left the game, a few people in my endgame shell started calling me PhePhe too one day out of the blue.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Erpalacion
Kitten

Post by Erpalacion »

Yea, it's a little bit odd with me too. People started calling me "Nad" or even worse just to aggrevate me they'd add an "s" at the end of that. -.-

Other than that I'd get called "Nada", so I'd get confused when people say the word "nada" to mean "nothing". I'd be dumb and say, "What, you called my name?" only to be laughed at. =/

I prefer "Nada" over them all though, has a nice ring to it for some reason. Another Nickname I've grown accustomed to is "LOLdrg". That's always fun. ;P

"It's ok, I love you too. ;D" <-- usual response to get to them even more.

GREAT TIMES! Gotta miss them. :'(
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I've been told my name means "suck me" in Italian but told by an Italian that it doesn't :lol:

It's a nonsensical name in Japanese (i.e. doesn't exist) but the "gami" part means "god" so literal translation is Su's God or God of Su. Su however has several different kanji :oops: (it's also a type of sushi or sushi restuarant in the US I believe)

As for abbreviations the most common I hear is "Suga" or "Sugs", both sound like a nickname a rugby player would have and not at all fitting for a cute Mithra :x I generally prefer Su (attach term of endearment if you want, "sama" works nicely ;)).
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Not to go offtopic, but how about what your RL Name means, I researched mine, turns out it wasn't continant or even asian oriented. Ill post:

Origin: Swahili
Meaning: Born during mourning
Pronunciation: (AHS yah); (ah SYAH)(No excuse for pronuncing my name wrong.)
Form of: Itself (Asya)

There's also a hebrew form but quite frankly, I doubt that's what my parents were thinking anyways. Also Asya's been known as a form of Anastasia in Russian, and the Greek name Asia (YES THE ACTUAL CONTINANT IS GREEK!). So there you have it.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Believe my real name is Hebrew for "beloved", won't tell you what it is you'll have to work that out :P
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

David :D

Mine's easy enough- most common name for girls born in 79-80 (thanks Dad).

JENNIFER

Usage: English

Pronounced: JEN-i-fur [key]
From a Cornish form of the Welsh name Gwenhwyfar (see GUINEVERE). Meanings include "smooth and fair" but I've also seen more poetic descriptions of "snow pale" and "sea foam" in other name dictionaries :lol:

Seriously, I wouldn't mind my incredibly average name quite so much if my parents hadn't gotten more creative with my siblings' names (Tiffany, Daphne, Adrianna, Ian and....Jennifer :roll:)
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

lol

Kintrra was just something I came up with for my kitty, she has sisters Kintrara, Katrera, and Kishera, and my other two mules names are Crystalina and Caliantina....I think...

As to me, my name is only the name of the most infamous of Archangels. Michael. ^^;;
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Bugger :lol:
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

:lol: Its ok- my son's name is David Jacob, so I knew it already.

Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Player name: Shirai
Meaning: I have no clue, I just came up with the name.

RL Name: George
Meaning: uh...
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

ScarlettPheonix wrote::lol: Its ok- my son's name is David Jacob, so I knew it already.
That's cheating :P

For Shirai:

GEORGE

Usage: English, Romanian

Pronounced: JORJ (English) [key]

From the Greek name Γεωργιος (Georgios) which was derived from the Greek word γεωργος (georgos) meaning "farmer, earthworker", itself derived from the elements γη (ge) "earth" and εργον (ergon) "work". Saint George was a legendary dragon slayer who was supposedly martyred in Palestine. He is the patron saint of England, Portugal and Catalonia.
This name has been borne by six kings of England, two kings of Greece, and the first president of the United States, George Washington. Other famous bearers include authors George Eliot and George Orwell (both pen names; real names Mary Anne Evans and Eric Arthur Blair respectively), composer George Frideric Handel, and Pacific explorer George Vancouver.

Shirai doesn't exist, didn't make up a real name unfortunately :P "Shi" is Chinese though.

"From Chinese 时 "time", 实 "real, honest" or 史 "history"."
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

XD thanks

although...
Sugami wrote: GEORGE
I wouldn't say masculine @.@;
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Kintrra wrote:lol

Kintrra was just something I came up with for my kitty, she has sisters Kintrara, Katrera, and Kishera, and my other two mules names are Crystalina and Caliantina....I think...

As to me, my name is only the name of the most infamous of Archangels. Michael. ^^;;
Heh, Too bad Kintraa doesn't have an obnoxious twin whose trying to constantly steal her wallet, Kilalaa :P Also Yunsai is my taru mule who I make turn male tricks in bastok (J/k) xD
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Just pasting what I found, Shirai :P

It may be short for a female version (Georgina perhaps) but generally is masculine :P

Funny story :) you know how Naruto and Bleach are like the most popular anime atm even though neither are all that great. Result of such is seeing players naming themselves after these characters.

I won't say the meaning of the word just yet ;) anyways I find this hume male called "Ichlgo" (a variation of Ichigo being the main char in Bleach) and I explain to him that his name is actually most commonly a female name meaning "strawberry" :lol: This is actually explained in the anime as well, guess he missed that part :lol:

So if you see any guys running around called "Ichigo" (or something similar) tell them what their name really means :P
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Okuza has no "real" translation, just some implied/similar words.

Sokuza = silent meditation (JP).

O - Ku - Za = Great - Dragon - Meditations // from what little I know of JP hieroglyphics.

Also, it sounds like Yakuza (JP mafia) to NA folks. 'Dunno about how it would sound to JP. Kinda apropos considering I started as THF and now NIN.

Amusing incidental coincidence is that "Azuko" is my little taru whm alt/mule. IIRC, "-ko" means child-like (kinda like adding -ie after an NA name). So, just by luck, my mule's name works. I've actually gone for an entire XP session dual boxed and then have peeps double-take after it's all over about the names. It sounds "real", so they don't notice the reversal.
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

Heh mine is pretty plain

Kahvi is just a word that means Coffee in Finnish.
And I loves my coffee ^_^.

At least i'm not Chair, daughter of Sofa, daughter of LavaLamp from the land of Window, east of Air Conditioner.
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Actually the word for "great" is "dai" (e.g. "dai suki" = great like or love) in Japanese :P Putting 'O' on the front of words is an honourific, symbolising one's respect for said thing :P

Edit: hieroglyphics are Egyption :P If you're referring to their pictoral text AKA kanji then there are lots and lots of different kanji with different meanings for each phonetic.

Incidentally I believe "dragon" can be "ryu".
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Sugami wrote:Actually the word for "great" is "dai" (e.g. "dai suki" = great like or love) in Japanese :P Putting 'O' on the front of words is an honourific, symbolising one's respect for said thing :P

Edit: hieroglyphics are Egyption :P If you're referring to their pictoral text AKA kanji then there are lots and lots of different kanji with different meanings for each phonetic.

Incidentally I believe "dragon" can be "ryu".
sounds about right, I should get a langauge download pack so I can start posting in Mandarin characters and have you all try and translate, and yes Hyroglyphics are egyption, asian countries use Kanjii Script, so if you see Kanjii mentioned for say Chinese and Japanese, essentially yes, but the block characters are diffrent shapes/sizes usually, well more the pattern, I'd try to see if I am correct, but 9 hours under an engine, does weird things to the brain.
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Heh -- great still works -- just depends on how you do the translation; eg. here's a list of synonyms for great:
www.dictionary.com wrote: august, capital, celebrated, chief, chivalrous, commanding, dignified, distinguished, eminent, exalted, excellent, famed, famous, fine, glorious, grand, heroic, high-minded, highly regarded, honorable, idealistic, illustrious, impressive, leading, lofty, lordly, magnanimous, main, major, noble, notable, noted, noteworthy, outstanding, paramount, primary, princely, principal, prominent, puissant, regal, remarkable, renowned, royal, stately, sublime, superior, superlative, talented
I was just going by what I hear in Jujitsu. They translate all the O-etc throws as "Great-etc".

BTW, though I really like the name, I've somewhat regretted using it in FFXI. It's like JP folks that pick English-sounding names because they like the way it sounds to them. The name can be end up being pretty funny. I think/hope I lucked out and avoided that, but I do get a TON of JP that assume I'm JP based on my name and blast me with Kanji -- and also NA that assume the same thing and hit me with translator-pigeon.

If you don't speak the language, you just have to pray that your made up name doesn't end up as something ridiculous, like say trying to sell a car named "No va" in Spanish speaking countries ("no go").
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Odd player name meanings.

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Odd player name meanings.

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting