Fishing guide

A place to talk about... anything!
Finwich
Housecat

Fishing guide

Post by Finwich »

Anyone know of a good CURRENT guide for skilling up fishing? I'm stuck at 13, trying to get to 30.
RDM/SMN/WAR/DRG/DNC/BLM/COR/DRK85
Bravura 6/14/10 WARcat +7
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

*fishes up a guide* Here ya go~ (completly not helpful I know, but try FFXICyclopedia or google "FFXI Fishing Guide"
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I stalled at 27. Whenever I get my 360 back I may get back into it. Sugami's recent talk about fishing has me wanting to whip up some Insect Paste, grab my gear out of storage, and go fishing again.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I've found so many fishing guides but none that are actually any good for making money. The one that was titled "Making money while fishing to 50" didn't even mention Nebinomites, which are without a doubt the best money fish until 50 (I believe).

Saying that, get yourself a Shrimp Lure (or two) and head to Sea Serpeant Grotto. Nebs will take you to 27 and are pretty profitable, report all the blatent RMT you see and hope they'll be gone soon.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

I have a great thread bookmarked on post fishing update fishing. It is on my other machine however. I will be there .... tomorrow I guess. Today I suffer the penalty of having two level 75 characters, namely two Dynamisses in one day.

I did the lake in Jugner mostly from Nebs to 31, currently after Gold Lobsters, Ogre Eels and... I forget... off the cliffs in N Gusty. The cliffs in Qufim will work for a level or two.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

My current moneymaking methods have kept me steady on cash. By which I mean food and other expenses are covered.

What I'm looking for is a moneymaking method that is steady yet works with my current methods so I can increase my wealth. Even if its slow and steady I would like to be able to buy things that I consider luxuries (Hedgehog Bomb, those +MP BLU swords, Noble's Tunic) without bankrupting myself.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Gold Lobsters and Ogre Eels are also found in West and East Saruta (south by the sea), which is handy if you're a Windurstian like myself :)

I recently found out that 50% moon = bad for fishing, which would explain some of my crappy results. Think that basically covers First and Last Quarter Moon, just don't bother :(
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:Gold Lobsters and Ogre Eels are also found in West and East Saruta (south by the sea), which is handy if you're a Windurstian like myself :)
Its the other ones that differs between Sarutabaruta and Gustaberg. Bastore Bream, L 71/86 in both locations, can hardly be landed by someone my level, and hardly ever will give a skillup. in Gustaberg you get Zafmlug Bass, L 25/48 and on Sliced Sardine, Bladefish L 56/71 both giving more chances to skillup. Bluetail 40/55 and Bladefish again can be caught in the Sarutabarutas. Easier to skill up on the Bass and they bite on Sinking Minnows, saving me the effort of slicing sardines.
Sugami wrote:I recently found out that 50% moon = bad for fishing, which would explain some of my crappy results. Think that basically covers First and Last Quarter Moon, just don't bother :(
:shock: :roll: The best moon phases for fishing are New and Full moons. The worst day is Lightningday. You can land fish and get skillups on any moon phase or day, just you will get the most bites, and the highest skillup rate (note: it still sucks) on the new and full moons. Times of day that are best are Dawn, Dusk, and Night in that order. Rain weather helps as does a light breeze (rippled water, not wind weather).
Last edited by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) on Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I've probably lost as many Bastore Bream as I have Gold Lobster :lol: They're few and far between anyways, like finding a Gold Carp in Windurst or rarer still.

Bluetail require Journeyman rank to catch (apparently) otherwise I'd be off in Burbuwhatsits Peninsula catching them (I tried).

Getting over 20 "You didn't catch anything."s before finally snagging a Nebinomite on 50% moon, very bad :(
Finwich
Housecat

Post by Finwich »

thanks a bunch. Going to try for some nebs and see what happens. :)
RDM/SMN/WAR/DRG/DNC/BLM/COR/DRK85
Bravura 6/14/10 WARcat +7
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Kida's Fishing Guide ~> www.finalfishing.com has a lot of useful information too :)
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Be warned, fishing isn't profitable anymore, Square changed that to try and deter fishing bots. Sadly most players running fishing bots, are either ignorant, or extremely hopeful that they will find "The Ark" of FFXI Fishing and be able to only fish up valuable items. Too bad the the "Valuable" Items have been reduced on most servers AH Systems (well Hades server at least.)
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sorry Karu, there are still some fish that can be NPCd for hundreds of Gil each. And they stack.....

Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Tsybil wrote:Sorry Karu, there are still some fish that can be NPCd for hundreds of Gil each. And they stack.....
Yep!

As a wise thief once tought me:
Everything is worth money, even if it's only 100 gil.

What I do when farming and fishing:
I look up items that drop more then regularly, added with TH1 or what is easy to catch.
Check AH price and NPC price, if they're close I go to my friendly neighbourhood NPC vendor.
It's all small change, but it's fast, reliable and it doesn't get returned to your mog house.
Given you do it often enough, it adds up quick!
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tsybil wrote:Sorry Karu, there are still some fish that can be NPCd for hundreds of Gil each. And they stack.....
At least Hades isn't seeing profitable fishing bots, as I said I wasn't sure how it was for all servers but oh well, lets put it this way, its not 100 percent profitable, unless you know what your doing, unless your a bot in which case, {GM Call}, {Do you need it?}
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Ka-chan, read between the lines ;)

you don't need to rely on the auction house to make money.
Fishing itself can be profitable.

Granted you won't be raking in the millions like you used to, but for every day expenses like food, ninja tools, silent oils, reraise pins/earrings/gorgets and the like it's more then plenty.
Basicly a good strategy is to target fish in areas that are easy to catch, they may not sell fast on the auction house but can be either NPC'd easily or crafted into something that does sell fast.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Shirai wrote:Ka-chan, read between the lines ;)

you don't need to rely on the auction house to make money.
Fishing itself can be profitable.

Granted you won't be raking in the millions like you used to, but for every day expenses like food, ninja tools, silent oils, reraise pins/earrings/gorgets and the like it's more then plenty.
Basicly a good strategy is to target fish in areas that are easy to catch, they may not sell fast on the auction house but can be either NPC'd easily or crafted into something that does sell fast.
That's what I meant, it's not like you can become a millionaire on fishing these days, mostly I just fish up the materials needed for my utsusemi and let my friend craft for me, I pay her 2k for her trouble and technically I pay 2k per stack of toolbags ^_^
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

KarouKaniyashia wrote: That's what I meant, it's not like you can become a millionaire on fishing these days, mostly I just fish up the materials needed for my utsusemi and let my friend craft for me, I pay her 2k for her trouble and technically I pay 2k per stack of toolbags ^_^
Profit!
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

You can't really become a millionaire doing anything in a short amount of time :roll:

If there wasn't money in fishing then I wouldn't be seeing lots of RMT/bots in SSG and the price of Nebinomites drops from 9K to 5K in 2 weeks.

Gold Carp can be NPC'd for little over 300 (304 for me methinks) a piece, that's around 3.6K a stack. Gold Lobster can be NPC'd for a little under 200 (196g), which puts it around 2.3K per stack. Nothing to stick your nose up at. If I get lucky and fish up a bream that's 600g each.

Like most things in this game you really need to be high level to make the big bucks off.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Fishing guide

Post by xaresity »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо