Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD (Or now Betamax 2.0)

A place to talk about... anything!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD (Or now Betamax 2.0)

Post by Tivia »

Love it or hate it, the format War officially ended today.

http://www.reuters.com/article/companyN ... 9920080219
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I'll care when Blu-Ray makes movies better.

Until that day comes DVD will suit me just fine.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

HOLY sh*t! SONY ACTUALLY WON!!!

No, seriously though, after their history with Betamax and UMD [And the PSP itself], this kind of shocks me.

Ah well, at least the format war ended before the prices went down to $200 for a Blu-Ray player.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Keavy wrote:I'll care when Blu-Ray makes movies better.

Until that day comes DVD will suit me just fine.
Watch Pirates of the Carribean 3 on DVD (upscaled if you like)

Then watch it on Blu-Ray (HDMI) and tell me there is not a huge picture difference.

Movies not shot in HD obviously do not get any advantage, which is why I say and have always said "Do not replace your existing dvd collection, simply move forward with it".

One major difference, in DVD everything except the focal point are slightly blurry. In HD (This applied to HD-DVD and Blu-Ray) everything is in focus. That is the quickest way to tell native HD from upscaled.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

I think he means, making the actual movies better.

I've seen many movies released lately but only a handfull really give me the feeling of "Oh yeah I really want to buy this movie when it comes out!"
Regardless if it's on DVD Blue ray or HD-DVD.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Shirai wrote:I think he means, making the actual movies better.

I've seen many movies released lately but only a handfull really give me the feeling of "Oh yeah I really want to buy this movie when it comes out!"
Regardless if it's on DVD Blue ray or HD-DVD.
Ah yes this is very much true. The quality of movies as of late has been rather bleak.

On that note, I went and watched Jumper. Lots like it, lots hate it. I enjoyed it and hold no regrets over paying to watch it. But I doubt I would ever buy it, if that makes sense.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Blu-Ray Ftw.

EDIT: it dawned on me several hours later that, the 360 HD DVD I got for xmas, painted black, put a window kit on and lit with pink LEDs (Yes I own some HD DVD Movies and it was used to watch them.) is now obsolete, I almost cried but then it dawned on me, I have elite hardware and movies on HD DVD so reguardless of the war being over, I can still watch them any time.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Blu-Ray actually made by Sony or they just "sponsor" it?

I heard on radio one format has pulled out, was pretty obvious after WB decided to side with Blu-Ray.

Maybe now peole will actually buy PS3s, just to play Blu-Ray movies :P
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Sugami wrote:Blu-Ray actually made by Sony or they just "sponsor" it?

I heard on radio one format has pulled out, was pretty obvious after WB decided to side with Blu-Ray.

Maybe now peole will actually buy PS3s, just to play Blu-Ray movies :P
I don't know... $400 for a Blu-Ray player is still a bit pricy. If they could drop the cost to $300 or even $250, then they have a good low costing player.

We'll see the number of PS3s jump a bit, but for now, I'm perfectly fine with the quality of DVDs. I won't go out of my way and pay $80 for Lost Season 3 on Blu-Ray when I can buy it for $30 cheaper as the DVD set.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Fiye wrote:I don't know... $400 for a Blu-Ray player is still a bit pricy. If they could drop the cost to $300 or even $250, then they have a good low costing player.
Agreed, $400 for a blu-ray player only is pricy.

But $400 for a Blu-Ray player, next gen gaming system, Media Server, and alternate linux box is a Steal.

Now if you are only going to use 1 of the above features and not 2 or more, then yes value is subject to debate again.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Sony Owns Blu-Ray although some company claims sony stole their copyrights from them, even though sony got to the patent office first (Sound familiar? *cough IMMERSIONS cough*)
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Hmm curious.

Incidentally, why would you want to pay money for Lost? You'd have to pay me to see it :lol: (and it'd have to be a lot of money :P)
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Sugami wrote:Hmm curious.

Incidentally, why would you want to pay money for Lost? You'd have to pay me to see it :lol: (and it'd have to be a lot of money :P)
I like the show personally. Of course, I don't like Doctor Who, and that show has a cult.

@Tivia: I dun need a Media Server personally, but the feature is nice... if it could detect my computer. (It can detect my Dad's and Step Mother's laptop).

And as far as Linux... I'm not as Tech Savvy, so I could care less about that (Especially when I don't know about it xDDDD)
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Fiye wrote:I like the show personally. Of course, I don't like Doctor Who, and that show has a cult.
Weirdo :lol:
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Like Sarge from Red Vs Blue, I invested in a new movie format! HHDDBBVDVD
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD (Or now Betamax 2.0)

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Blu-Ray vs HD-DVD (Or now Betamax 2.0)

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru