Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

A place to talk about... anything!
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

Post by Fiye »

I just got through playing through the short demo they had, and holy crap :love:

For the last few years, I've been wondering what card Naughty Dog had in their sleeve for the PS3, and now we know.

This is Tomb Raider without the impossible figure, a parkour system that kicks ass, camera angles that don't suck (And make you do those leaps of faith), and a combat system that is about as realistic as it gets.

If you have a PS3, get the demo. If you like the demo, rent it/buy it.

These are the kinds of games the PS3 needs more of.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

That game, Resistance, and Ratchet and Clank are the three reasons I would love a PS3.

As soon as the magical PS3 fairy stops by my house and drops one off I will totally play those games. :lol:
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

I think this game is worth the $400 for a PS3. That is, if you like a Gears of War-type combat (Taking cover, poking out and shooting), a Tomb Raider-esque adventure game, with a touch of Indiana Jonism.

All I can say is that you lack the capabilities to carry a OMFGWTFBBQ amount of Ammo. (The Primary pistol carries 40 bullet [It takes 3+ body shots to kill someone]. Uzi carries 60. And the AK-47 carries 90).

You'll really want to try and make head shots. No head shots = you're gonna run out of ammo soon.

Thankfully the Pistol is about as accurate as a rifle. :lol:
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I don't have $400 so that's why the magical PS3 fairy needs to drop one off.

In case you're wondering the magical PS3 fairy looks like Ken Kutaragi in a pink tutu with sparkly angel wings.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Made it to Chapter 19. The game went from Gears of War to Run-and-gun not to long ago (About Chapter 18 is when it happens)

Right now would be the time I get the f*** off that island.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

ya my husband couldn't let go of the demo, so he's been hogging my (our) ps3 all week >.< also on a side note, Project Sylpheed for 360 IS WIN!!! Good Job SE!!!! Take A Bow!!
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

The game plays a lot like Gears of War + Doom 3 + Tomb Raider.

Really, the platforming/adventuring sections of the game don't suck, but they feel too easy. Mostly due the fact that when I can't see where to go, I usually don't see it until the hint thing pops up. And when I know where to go. I can hit up the A-Z connect-the-dots to where I want to go.

And the gun fights... let me put it this way.

They range from too easy, to annoying, to OMFG how the f*** can he do that!

Usually at around chapter 12 you'll get to the annoying part where they start using sniper rifles. Chapter 18 is when Doom 3 elements begin to pop up, and then the rest is just "What the f*** were they thinking."

The final boss fight works this way; you land on a ship, and have to make your way to chase him. The boss however, is armed with a sniper rifle that fires a certain phrase. Not to mention his laser is ALWAYS aimed at your head.

And your only cover are destroyable wooden boxes.

You do this for four rounds, before catching up to him, losing your weapon, and have to sneak up to him, and beat the crap out of him... and watch him drown in the water. :lol:
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

No single game ever justifies a $400+ purchase, ever. Though FFXIII might come close.

That said, Thanks for the recommendation I will download it and give it a run through. Been playing the sin out of Burnout Paradise myself, I will be buying that one for certain.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Well, for sure the PS3 is beginning to look more appealing. Uncharted: Drake's Fortune is a rental... if ya can find it.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Tivia wrote:No single game ever justifies a $400+ purchase, ever.
Its not just the "One Game" issue. Its also the "I need an HDTV to fully enjoy all the features" and the "I can already play most of the games I want on my 360" issue, too. The main feature I refer to is Blu-Ray. I'll probably never own a Blu-Ray movie but knowing the feature is there and I can't use it makes me feel like I'm wasting money.

Last gen I justified buying an Xbox (even though it was just for Halo) because multiplatform games looked and played so much better on Xbox. If you can, rent or buy The Simpsons: Hit and Run for PS2 and Xbox then do a side-by-side comparison and you'll see. PS2 is sluggish, framerate is choppy, and graphically there's a slight fuzziness. Xbox is like butter and looks damn good.

When PS3 hits $199 I'll grab one and rent Uncharted along with all those other games the PS3 kids go on about. No offense to the PS3, but $199 is the most I'll pay for a second console. If roles were reversed (i.e. I owned a PS3 and not a 360) I would do the same thing.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Well, the PS2 does suffer in the power department compared to the Xbox.

Now, we already know the PS3 vs 360 debate, so I'll drop the power issue there. Though, as we move along in the 7th Generation, we'll see games like Crysis that'll end up taking a lot more power. The 360 might end up like the PS2, and lag a bit.

Though, if I could have the 360's power, a more stable SIXAXIS, and the Xbox 360's Controller and Live support.

*Drools* Perfect... console... evar...

Well, damn close.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

NPD numbers came out today and it doesn't look good for Uncharted.

Just over 1/4 Million in sales.

In the good news department PS2, Wii, PSP, and DS Lite all sold 1 million+ and 360 now has a solid 7 in attach rate which is godly.

Basically that means seven games are sold for every 360.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Upcoming documentary: "Who killed the PS3?"
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Fiye wrote:Upcoming documentary: "Who killed the PS3?"
It'll be five minutes long and consist of clips of Kaz Hirai saying "Five hundred ninety-nine US Dollars", "Krazy" Ken Kutaragi discussing how the PS3 will instill discipline in people, and an interview with the people at Konami about why it took so damn long to get MGS4 out.

Honestly, I think once the PS3 hits $299 then $199 we'll see significant spikes in sales. Right now, at $399 sales are sluggish and even when the 360 was $399 it wasn't flying off the shelves.

Well, after the supply constraint ended I mean. Remember last Christmas, when retailers complained about how Microsoft shoved 1 million 360's down the line so they could say "10 Million sold worldwide in a year!"?

People forget stuff like that.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

PS3 at $199 >,>

When that day comes... I will die.

Though, $300 is more reasonable.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Activisions CEO and Captain Obvious said, and I quote Official Xbox Magazine,

"Insisiting the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 must get down to 200 within the next two years to ensure a healthy market in this generation is Activision CEO and Captain Obvious Bobby Kotick.
Bobby Kotick = In the next 24 months the consoles all will need to be at 199 price point, and you can imagine Nintendo will be down to 129 price point over the next few years. People say, "Well , the Wii is less complex technically. I don't think that really matters as much to the consumer."
Get down to 200 for mass-market success eh? You mean LIKE THE LAST GENERATION, and the one before that, and so on and son? Insightful."

Well No Duh Mr Kotick. Give yourself a hand for stating the blatently obvious.
Last edited by Karou Ariyen on Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I think the Wii is overpriced at $249; even with a game in the box.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Actually, he's right. Those of us who don't make as much (I just got my W2 today...$9434 for the year <.<; ), don't have a spare $600 to spend on a damned video game system. $200 for a system is actually pretty close to the high end of what I even feel is appropriate for that.
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Oh I whole heartidly agree. Hell I ripped my husband a new arse for spending 1400 on a ps3 pre-order package. But this CEO has basically magically discovered that a price drop is required. Well DUH! I just wish he wouldn't state the obvious, most people know that by now heh. And Finding a Wii for any price..... I call it, Final Fantasy Wii: The Console Hunt. Because I still can't find a wii for me >.>; go figure.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

KarouKaniyashia wrote: I still can't find a wii for mii >.>; go figure.
Fixed. :P :lol:
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:Oh I whole heartidly agree. Hell I ripped my husband a new arse for spending 1400 on a ps3 pre-order package. But this CEO has basically magically discovered that a price drop is required. Well DUH! I just wish he wouldn't state the obvious, most people know that by now heh. And Finding a Wii for any price..... I call it, Final Fantasy Wii: The Console Hunt. Because I still can't find a wii for me >.>; go figure.
heh, I was in gamestop yesterday buying a new ds game and there were about a dozen Wii's sitting on the shelf there.

Back to the original topic,

Tried uncharted.

Graphics - Look really great
Voice acting - pretty darn good
Drawing you into the story - not bad, draws you in decently quick for a demo.
Controls - I am usually not one to fuss about controls, but I am struggling a bit with them. Not sure if it is the controls or the hit detection, but with the pistol and the ak I have had several times were I shot the guy clear in the head and he popped back up and kept shooting at me. Lack of zoom is particularly irksome.

Overall, not real sure what I think yet. need to play it a bit more to decide fully.

On another note, I wish some game developer would take bloody advantage of the fact that the PS3 can use a mouse and keyboard. Honestly a controller is so vastly inferior for FPS vs a mouse that it is not even funny.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Pffff the only good FPS controller is Teh Wii! Seriously, I cut my Resident Evil 4 Gametime down in half with the wiimote on my cousin's system. Point and Aim vs Inverted Cameras.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:Pffff the only good FPS controller is Teh Wii! Seriously, I cut my Resident Evil 4 Gametime down in half with the wiimote on my cousin's system. Point and Aim vs Inverted Cameras.
Yea, but then the game looks like crap and nullifies the only reason I would buy a fps for a console vs my pc. :lol:
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I'd just like to chyme in and declare how much I hate that supid wiimote. I tried playing Red Steel with it, can't do crap! So bloody inaccurate I hate it with a passion!

Problem with creating one big gimmick that's meant to universally work with all games is it's not very good for any of them.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:I'd just like to chyme in and declare how much I hate that supid wiimote. I tried playing Red Steel with it, can't do crap! So bloody inaccurate I hate it with a passion!

Problem with creating one big gimmick that's meant to universally work with all games is it's not very good for any of them.
*Ahem* Sug, its not the Wiimote. Its that pile of steaming poo called "Red Steel" that's the problem.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Im an airsoft sniper, expert rifle/pistol (airsoft again) in JROTC from high school. I find it easier to use it like a real gun, but again that's just how it works for me, its like Rock Band, if I can't actually pull up my real guitar for some practice, heh, rockband helps me practice xD
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Well I hate the wiimote, period. Give me a frickin' light gun, not a stupid wiimote. That's how Resident Evil: Umbrella Chronicles could be made so much better.

I'm no airsoft champ, I do own my own gas powered BB gun. I have fired .22s and a British Army training version of the SA80 (L96, fires 5.56 rounds). I still say give me a damn light gun!

Speaking as a guitarist, rock band and guitar hero in no way help playing guitar :P Rock Band could probably teach you how to play the drums though :P loldrummers, aren't they the guys who hang around with the band? :lol:
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

What I mean is that rockband helps me with my "timing" so to speak, buttons are diffrent from strings, yes, but the co-ordination of hitting the right strings (buttons) are crucial, think of it as "hand-guitar co-ordination." and I also use the mic to try to keep my vocals on par, which early in the morning aint so good. I listen to the music in my head and hope my brain hits the right strings/buttons xD
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Best thing to do is obviously play along with the music :P I have a program called Guitar Pro, can get tabs for it and it'll play it for you as well as show you the tabs with proper sheet music. Great for learning new songs until you're able to actually play along with the music :)
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

:? I wanted an excuse to buy rockband, and that one was it --;