SE's new MMO confirmed but won't be FFXI-2

A place to talk about... anything!
Keavy
Drunker than thou

SE's new MMO confirmed but won't be FFXI-2

Post by Keavy »

http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3164590
1up.com wrote:We haven't heard very much about what Square Enix his planned in the online space after Final Fantasy XI, an MMO that's still going strong (read: Wings of the Goddess expansion pack), but the company has admitted they're actively working on a next-generation MMO. Thing is, speaking to Gamasutra, FFXI Producer Hiromichi Tanaka says it's not necessarily going to be Final Fantasy-branded.

"As you might already know, members from the current FFXI team are working on a next generation MMO, but it still hasn't been decided whether that's going to be a game in the FF series, a continuation, or a totally new game," said Tanaka. "We are working on it, but it hasn't been decided that far yet."

With Final Fantasy XI still a popular MMO among the hardcore, it's not surprising Square Enix would be interested in continuing that franchise with additional expansion packs in the years to come, while simultaneously nurturing a brand-new IP with the upcoming MMO.
I'm hoping SE releases more info here soon. I hate it when they tease us like this.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Rishutlaw
Tomcat

Post by Rishutlaw »

I really hope I won't have to shill out more cash for yet another monthly fee if I end up buying this mystery game.

Thanks for the info. :)
Kiraku: [lvl 44 SAM] [Lvl 33 MNK] [lvl 25 WAR] [lvl 15 BST] [lvl 10 BLM] [lvl 10 WHM] [lvl 21 THF]

[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p192/okanestar789/Kir071223003827a.jpg[/img]
http://gamerhaven.forumotion.com/index.htm
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

According to LS mates that went to the fanfest Wings of the Goddess won't be the last expansion either.

As far as he told us there will at least be a far east far south and far west expansion in the making.

As far as WotG goes, I like what I've seen so far.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

From what we've seen with previous expansions we'll be getting updates and seeing new storyline content, quests, missions, and areas added to the WotG content well into 2009.

I just hope their new MMO isn't set in a fantasy world. Something like a Front Mission or Star Ocean style would be cool. I've also heard that SE's going to use all they've learned from FFXI when making the new MMO so it should be RMT-unfriendly from the get-go with balanced jobs. :D
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Keavy wrote:From what we've seen with previous expansions we'll be getting updates and seeing new storyline content, quests, missions, and areas added to the WotG content well into 2009.
Yeah I have to agree with that, my theory about this expansion's storyline is that it will answer a lot of questions that remained unanswered at the end of rank mission 6 and the Zilart and CoP expansions.
(Not all though because we need the far east for a whole lot of answers too, and those will answer a lot of unanswered questions about ToAU.)

I have high expectations for WotG and I'm sure it's far from complete.
(Tavnazia for one anyone?)
(And a few cutscenes and NPC conversations regarding zones which aren't accessible but are spoken about.)
*Spoiler*
One of the NPC's is speaking about Selbina's independance declaration and Bastok's Diplomatic reaction.
I just hope their new MMO isn't set in a fantasy world. Something like a Front Mission or Star Ocean style would be cool. I've also heard that SE's going to use all they've learned from FFXI when making the new MMO so it should be RMT-unfriendly from the get-go with balanced jobs. :D
Knowing SE it has a lot of posibilities.
Dragon Quest and Star Ocean are only a few sugestions as both are pretty big titles in and outside of Japan under the RPG fans like Final Fantasy is.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

I'd be happy if the MMO weren't an FFXI-2. FFXI is fine enough as is, and it'll live a very healthy life, though, what they do with their next MMO is quite an interesting thing.

I just hope they focus more on PvP the next time around. Factions are all nice and stuff, but when they aren't killing each other? Come on now!
Vatrina
Tomcat

Post by Vatrina »

Rishutlaw wrote:I really hope I won't have to shill out more cash for yet another monthly fee if I end up buying this mystery game.
Oh the sound of hope. (sorry I couldn't contain myself ><) Best case scenario? We get 3 or 4 chars included with our base monthly payment then have to start paying for extras.

You forget how much SE loves to suck money from us. Four expansions, an extra $1 a month for every char over 4, when they KNEW from the start that the job changing system and the amount of gear required severely outweighed the number of available safe/storage/inventory space.

But what can you do? I, myself, will probably end my MMORPG career after FFXI shuts down. I just don't have the time anymore, not even for something as easy as WoW. And I'm sure everyone knows that SE is gonna make their new one as group-based as they did FFXI. (If they're smart they won't but we know as well that SE isn't exactly the smartest company in the world.)
75 RNG elite 75 BLM 75 PLD 75 SMN
Windurst Rank 10
Bastok Rank 10
San d'Oria Rank 10
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

If Squeenix is smart they won't cross into Korean MMO territory. I seriously hate 'em with a passion. (Take several hours to get one level, no foreseeable cap, and abilities that require you to spend points into them. Its not customization. Its called suffering until we hit level30!!!!)

And I want PvP. Please, for the love of god, I want some PVP!! (Ballista is just not enough)
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

Fiye wrote:And I want PvP. Please, for the love of god, I want some PVP!! (Ballista is just not enough)
You want pvp, go play WoW lol. WoW seriously has some great pvp action. :)
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

I can't play WoW. Its not that I want to, its just that I just... can't.

I played it when it got released... and it didn't interest me. I'm currently waiting on Darkfall Online... which I'm guessing might be Vapor Ware by this point, but I still have a sliver of hope for it.

Darkfall Online is pretty much an MMO following Ultima's ruleset. You can steal from anyone, kill anyone, and destroy everything. =3
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

Something like a Front Mission or Star Ocean style would be cool.
Last time I checked, there already is an online Front Mission game. It is only JP though. ¬_¬
Cardian > puppets
[img]http://www.apricotsoft.com/~mimora/star_/ff11/05out1/05out1_006.jpg[/img]
so great being a grey haired Mithra THF
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Fiye wrote: Darkfall Online is pretty much an MMO following Ultima's ruleset. You can steal from anyone, kill anyone, and destroy everything. =3
Which would make it a spectacular PVP game, and which is why the game will never see the light of day, because let us be honest. The carebears who want no pvp or highly controlled pvp (wow) outnumber those of us who want pure PVP based on a players skill, not their level or gear.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I hear Guild Wars is great for skill-based PVP, I prefer the PVE though :)
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Guild Wars is too instances for my taste. There were factions involved, more content being developed besides the bi-yearly expansion packs, and a bit of huge battles, then all would be good. But for now, I'm good with FFXI.

Conquest has gotten a bit of my fix fufilled.
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Tivia wrote:Which would make it a spectacular PVP game, and which is why the game will never see the light of day, because let us be honest. The carebears who want no pvp or highly controlled pvp (wow) outnumber those of us who want pure PVP based on a players skill, not their level or gear.
PvP is best in RL. Most MMORGP based PvP has too many things about it that cater to the mean and spiteful -- identity and lack of meaningful repercussions being the main factors that are missing. Folks that think they're invisible have the most disgusting behavior. Same thing with lack of real death. It doesn't matter if you do random PKs if there is no cost to death.

I liked the oooold M59 system where if you didn't have a good RP reason for killing someone, you got branded as an outlaw and couldn't even enter a city -- guards and anyone else could kill you anywhere without any repercussions. You could make mules and hide, though. It was a peer-review thing for the branding, too.

It would be interesting to see what kind of social conventions a PvP based MMORPG with permanent death would develop; eg. kill someone and they de-level all the way back to a total newbie. All gains lost (gear, money, levels, etc.). Tag all the chars on the same account/CC/Billing-Address with the same surname, too. Can't use evil char to support good char.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

It really boils down to EQ generation MMOgs have no penalties for PVP. This is 1 of the two primary reasons why current gen PVP sucks. The 2nd reason is Level based PVP is again, unbalanced and crappy.

If you want to see PVP in its pure form, then you have to go back to Meridian 59 or Ultima Online (Before AoS). PVP had penalties, there were reprecussions to killing someone outright and without reason. Was the system perfect? no it could have been tweaked, but it was a far sight better then the crap available today. Since it is the biggest I will pick on it, WoW PVP for example is a flat joke. There is no penalty, no fear of death, nothing. It is just mindless clicking.

Sadly the bulk of the players want PVP in that format or where they can avoid it as I mentioned before. Thus being realistic we will never see a True PVP game again ourside of FPS.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

There are no penalties to WoW PVP exept to the person being ganked. Imagine popping a rare monster for a quest (and it took you hours to get the item) and then some arshe-hat ganks you? Guess what, you not only die, but that monster despawns, and you gotta get another item. Is it fair? NO. Do I agree with WoW PVP? Not at all. Seems like all the online PVP games are so gear dependant. In a way, it makes you wonder whats the point of lvling up. But ive dropped PVP and just stuck with PVE. Id rather chop off somethings head or fight some huge beast instead. ^^;
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server