War
25%
Drg
No votes
Bst
No votes
Thf
No votes
Piemaster. (Cause nobody would dare hurt teh pie)
42%
Other.
8%

Total votes: 12

Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

What do you think the new tank will be?

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Any suggestions. Personally I think it will be SAM. They can already tank pretty good now. If not them, then MNK. Seeing as mnk can easily hold hate. They just need a few more survival abilites. What do you all think?
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

Toss up for me really- SAM, MNK, WAR, THF, DRG, RDM, BLU, BST and PUP (although SE has said its not PUP) can all tank to an extent already so any one of these could end up being the "new" tank.

I really wouldn't be surprised by any being made more tankish- the only job I'm maaayyybeee... on is RDM but that's mostly because SE tends to ignore the job and I just can't see them giving us anything that will definitely cement the job as being overpowered in the minds of some.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

WAR makes the most sense considering it was apparently meant to be a tank or at least be able to tank from the start.
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

I seriously doubt it will be WAR; that makes zero sense at all considering their statement about wanting to add tanking to a job that people have NOT leveled. Everyone has WAR to 37. They seem to want to create more low level tanks. War only makes sense based on what the job can do now and the general connotations associated with the name.

IMHO, they're going to fail no matter what they do. The problem isn't that there aren't enough low level tanks or that SE can't create low tank jobs. The problem is player perception: only "nin & pld" can tank. All you have to do to make ANY melee job level 10+ into a tank is to gear it properly, eat the right food, and sub WAR. You can even sub NIN at 24+ if your job can generate enough agro.

I've tanked my drk & sam up to 42 & 34 respectively. It's easy and they do TONS better than the other "real" tank jobs I've grouped with just because I can afford to gear them in all hq+1 for it. I dodge the perception problem by making my own groups or dual-boxing.

There's just no easy for for LFG. Unless you know the player well and what they can do with that job, people are going to look at a job and think it's only good for it's stereotyped role. You could add a self-announced searching feature to LFG such as "roles" and let people checkbox what they can do with that char in that level; eg. "35, can tank, can dd". I don't see them ever doing this. MMORPG developers are in the stone-age when it comes to the UI. They just don't get it that a game that is played for hours a day needs an awesome UI. They're all about the graphics and sound. UI? Heh. What's that?
Rishutlaw
Tomcat

Post by Rishutlaw »

I think Sam is so versitile that it can be made into a good tank. I'm personally a monk and its not that I don't want the job to be better, but I would just hate to see them derive from DD.
Kiraku: [lvl 44 SAM] [Lvl 33 MNK] [lvl 25 WAR] [lvl 15 BST] [lvl 10 BLM] [lvl 10 WHM] [lvl 21 THF]

[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p192/okanestar789/Kir071223003827a.jpg[/img]
http://gamerhaven.forumotion.com/index.htm
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Sugami wrote:WAR makes the most sense considering it was apparently meant to be a tank or at least be able to tank from the start.
They've already said it won't be WAR due to how many people have already leveled it. X.x
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Now that I think about it. Theres now way in hell drk would be a tank. Yeah we have hate tools already at our disposal (Last Resort, Souleater, Massive WS dmg) and a few dmg negation tools (Drain & Drain II) but Drk is the opposite of Pld. Pld's are tanks sooooo drk has to be DD. lol
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

When did they say it wouldn't be WAR? Don't remember reading that.

SAM and MNK are pretty popular as it is...
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

My vote is for WAR.

The best tanking armor in the game is PLD and WAR only.

If they make WAR a better tank, then SAM/WAR will be a better tank as well.

As to MNK, they would already make decent tanks IF they could wear heavier armor.

For the record my Melee kitty tanked as MNK L 25 - 32 in the jungle against Mandies, Gobbies, and Sahagin. On meat. With STR rings. And a GOOD healer. She also tanked as SAM/WAR L 49 - 52 in the basement of the Nest before Hasso and Seigan were in the game. I REALLY missed her Acc gear though.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

Back in the day... two friends and I formed a static. I tanked for them as my War for 40-some lvl's cause we always had a hard time finding tanks at the time. I carried two sets of gear on me at all times. Had macros to switch gear sets in an instant. One second I was in tanking gear, next I was in DD gear. Worked quite well till we got to about 65 then started to find more tanks.

Wouldn't surprise me if they made War into a tank being originally thats what they did before Paladins came out.
Tianshii
Mad Cat

Post by Tianshii »

I recently tanked @ lvl 56ish on my SAM.
Did okay... I'm not much into tanking, but hey if I can get exp I'll give it a try. Party was: sam, thf, drg, smn, rdm, pup.
I used voke as often as it was available & spammed WS to generate hate & then tossed up 3rd eye seigen (sp?) when i was getting spanked a lot.
Our drg died once & our Smn died once & that was about it.
The PUP freakin rocked b/c he had his automation set to WHM so it would cure IV me when ever i was low HP.
It went pretty well outside of the 2 deaths & I managed to *ding* 57.. finally can wear my cute SH :)
Assassen Summoner
[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o233/PuszNboots/sigs/Tianshii_this.jpg[/img]
SMN75~SAM75~whm75~thf42~DNC38~drg33
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: What do you think the new tank will be?

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru