360's warranty extended, PS3 price drops

A place to talk about... anything!
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Keavy wrote:I was so wrong. But then again, the mods temp banned them for flaming and nothing happened to me so HAH! One mod even posted a link to the official PlayStation forums and told them to go there. :lol:
:lol: Zing!
ScarlettPheonix wrote:lol- well according to some previous interviews I've seen with Sony- they want to see the PS3 have at least as long a lifespan as the PS1. The PS2 has had a pretty good run, but just not as long as the PS1.
I thought the life cycle of the console is determined by when the next one is released (kinda) :? PS1 life cycle kinda cut off when PS2 came out (shortly after I guess) and same couple possibly be said for PS2 and PS3 but I guess the PS2 was probably running down for the past year or two...

That is one ugly 360 :lol: what a horrid colour, might as well paint it turd brown :lol:
Part of it is loyalty to the brand (we both tend to stay with brands and companies that have worked for us in the past) but also- the PS3 is an all around better upgrade to our PS2s.
How can you stay loyal to a company that has been screwing over their consumers so much recently (and not giving a rat's ass about it) :oops:
as is the fact that my husband hates MS with a passion and refuses to believe that they can design anything that doesn't have issues at its release- or for significant time afte the release date.
Hehe I'd have to agree but I believe the XBox/360 part of MS is completely separate to the PC/Windows part but *shrug*
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

Same could be said about Microsoft- they're not exactly known for kind business practices, but there are still people who loooovvvee MS, whatever they do.

Sony products have worked for us for a long time and still do- so until I'm "screwed" over by them in some way- I'll stick with them as long as I'm satisfied.

I could be wrong, but I believe the lifetime of a console is considered by how long its in production, games are being developed for it and how well it ages against emerging technology developments.

The Playstation debuted in 1994? in Japan and was still being made up until last year, that's a 12 year lifespan despite the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox.

PS2 at 7 years hasn't aged as well against the way games are evolving, although FFXII is proof that game developers can still do amazing quality work with the system's capabilities.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Sugami wrote:
Part of it is loyalty to the brand (we both tend to stay with brands and companies that have worked for us in the past) but also- the PS3 is an all around better upgrade to our PS2s.
How can you stay loyal to a company that has been screwing over their consumers so much recently (and not giving a rat's ass about it) :oops:
I don't know how one can do that. Why not ask all those loyal Republican voters?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Interesting note,

The reality is most PS2 owners have a more compelling reason to buy a PS3 then a 360. Like most Xbo owners have a more compelling reason to buy a 360 then a PS3.

Case and point,

As a PS3 owner
I can play all my PS1 games still
I can play all my PS2 games still
I now can play PS3 games
I can play all my PSP games as well
I have High Definition Movie capabilty now as well

In a worst case scenario for me, the PS3 did everything my PS2 could with the addition of Blu-Ray. This was a win for me no matter how I looked at it. So even if I had zero PS3 games, I still can play all my favorite titles on a single console. A 360 for me is not nearly as good of a buy because I have no xbox games. so by the time I finished buying a 360, a HD addon, and a reasonable selection of games, I have easily $800 spent off the bat just assuming I buy only 4 games. Clearly not a good value no matter how you try and paint it.

Xbox owners are in a simliar situation, difference being the HD movie bit, they have to pay for it. But even still, the ability to play games you already own and love is fairly strong motivation concerning product loyalty.

I do own a 360, but only because I got it off a disgruntled friend on the cheap. I own one game for it GoW, honestly it is the only game for the 360 I consider to be worth a damn that I cannot get for the PS3. That of course is my own personal gaming preference. I have less then $200 tied up in my 360, that too me is a value given the limited amount I use it. Xbox Live holds no appeal to me, I pretty much hate most of the Live community. I am a PC gamer first above everything else, I like most PC gamers tend to not get along with the Console communities.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I'm a gamer and I go where the games are. I hold no loyalty towards any one company.

I supported the PlayStation and PlayStation 2 because they had the games. I eventually bought an N64, Dreamcast, GameCube, and Xbox because those consoles were at a price I could justify for the games they offered that I couldn't otherwise get.

This time Xbox 360, out of the gate, had me panting like a dog in a heatwave. PGR3 had me drooling, then they followed that up with Oblivion, Dead Rising, and the game that made me foam at the mouth for 360: Gears of War. The newest batch of games coming out only makes me happier that I went with 360 as my primary console. All told, there are over 30 games that are currently available or will be available by the end of this year on 360 that I do own or want to own. That's not counting Xbox gems I missed or Arcade titles.

I do want a PS3 but since its mainly for games like Resistance, Ratchet and Clank, and Final Fantasy XIII I see no reason to buy one now, even though I have talked about it often, mainly because I want to finish FFXII and DQ8 and have a backup for FFXI if my 360 dies again but can't justify $100 for a PS2 when in a year or so PS3 will be worth owning.

I think what'll get me to take the plunge is what's making me take the plunge on PSP: A deal I can't pass up. This Christmas they're offering a bundle with the PSP redesign, Daxter, Family Guy UMD, and a 1GB Memory Stick for $199. That with the Final Fantasy Tactics remake on PSP was what I needed to get one. Of course I'll get many, many other PSP titles like Wipeout Pure, Mega Man Powered Up!, Locoroco, and others I can't remember that looked good.

I do understand not everyone is as hard-core a gamer as I am and some of you hold brand loyalty. Its just that I don't. I want to get the most games on my console of choice. I eventually do get all the consoles every generation and unload them to upgrade when needed but for the most part, I find one and stick with it.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

I consider myself a outright Gamer. I don't care about staying loyal to a certain brand of Systems, I just go where the games go. Lately ive been leaning more towards Nintedo simply because I like the games.

Every time I go into a game store I look at all the PS3 and 360 Games and never see anything id even consider buying. Ive played Oblivion and Gears of war until I burned it out, but I really dont see any other games even coming close to rivaling them for the 360 except maybe Halo 3. Granted even Halo gets old after a while. Its only fun sticking people with light grenades so many times.

As for Xbox live, I don't bother with it. People get too stupid online. As for the PS3, well I dont even tink FFXIII will bring me back. After FFXI 8 and 9 I thought the ones after that (excluding FFXI of course) turned out to be well... too easy.

But nintendo has always made games ive enjoyed and played over and over and over again. Super Smash Bros, Fire Emblem, Legend of Zelda, Tales of Symphonia you name it. True the Wii has been coming out with only 3 true releases, and loads of mini-games, but hopefully they will step up to the plate and start realeasing the games (I have a feeling they are holding back) Nintendo has also got the PSP beat in my opinon.

I had a PSP first, before I even touched a DS. The gameplay just sucked on the PSP. Nomatter how many games I bought they ended up being traded right back to Gamestop for another game. Feeling agitated I traded the PSP for a Nintedo DS and ive been happy with it ever since. Mario 64, Advanced Wars Dual Strike, Yugioh, Sonic Rush, Children of Mana, Phoenix Wright, Trauma Life in the Er, Final Fantasy III. I could go on and on about how many games I own for the DS and the only one I threw away due to its suckiness was Golden Eye the Rogue Agent. Still I have not bought a PS3 yet, and Im selling my 360 to gamestop to have some money off the PS3. I will always give a game system a chance before pawning it in for something better.

Lately ive been leaning towards PC games as well. Lots of fun, and my computer has a really good graphics card in it, so usually I can play any game and still watch it run smoothly without lag. (Except for when I warp in Aht Urghan Whitegate. That place is evil! Evil!)
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

ScarlettPheonix wrote:The Playstation debuted in 1994? in Japan and was still being made up until last year, that's a 12 year lifespan despite the PS2, Gamecube and Xbox.
It was??? :shock: but who the hell buys a PS1 when the PS2 has been around for ages and is pretty cheap due to the (then) imminent release of the PS3?
Tsybil wrote:I don't know how one can do that. Why not ask all those loyal Republican voters?
:lol: zing!
Tivia wrote:In a worst case scenario for me, the PS3 did everything my PS2 could with the addition of Blu-Ray. This was a win for me no matter how I looked at it. So even if I had zero PS3 games, I still can play all my favorite titles on a single console.
And a big lose for your wallet :lol: Zing! :P

And yes, Gears of War is quite possibly the BEST shooter game EVER 8)

Incidentally my two most commonly played games atm are Yu-Gi-Oh! Duel Evolution (PC) and Yu-Gi-Oh! World Championship 2007 (DS), gotta love those children's card games for adults :lol:
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Too lazy to make a thread for this.

Sug's homeboy over at SCEE dropped a bomb earlier about Sony discontinuing the now $499 PS3 in favor of the 80GB model coming soon.

Click link for story. http://www.gamesindustry.biz/content_page.php?aid=26704

We're awaiting SCEA's confirmation or denial but the overall reaction from the gaming community via 1up and most other gaming sites is that people are pissed and questioning the sanity of the people in charge of Sony Computer Entertainment.
Last edited by Keavy on Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

lol I have no idea Sug- but apparently it was still selling well enough even after PS2's release for Sony to conitue production of it for 5 more years.
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

ScarlettPheonix wrote:lol I have no idea Sug- but apparently it was still selling well enough even after PS2's release for Sony to conitue production of it for 5 more years.
I hate to post after just posting but I have to reply to this: Its a great starter system and with an ample library of cheap games it appeals to those who want to get into gaming but don't want to spend a fortune on a more expensive console.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Heh, in order for it to be a zing there has to be some element of truth. Sorry I do not consider the PS3 a big loss for my wallet because I actually use all the features of it. For me it more then justifies it's price, if nothing else in the short time I have owned it I have easily used it twice as much as I ever did my PS2.

GoW was a good game, to be perfectly honest though I think Resistance FoM was better. At the very least I think both shooters are exceptionally good and compete head to head. Resistance simply had the disadvantage of being on a new console with limited market penetration.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

And in the meantime, Sony shafts England.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 069866.ece
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Tivia wrote:Heh, in order for it to be a zing there has to be some element of truth. Sorry I do not consider the PS3 a big loss for my wallet because I actually use all the features of it. For me it more then justifies it's price, if nothing else in the short time I have owned it I have easily used it twice as much as I ever did my PS2.
But for me, average Joe consumer with just an SDTV who already owns a 360 there's no reason to take the PS3 plunge.

That is Sony's problem right there.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Tsybil wrote:And in the meantime, Sony shafts England.

http://business.timesonline.co.uk/tol/b ... 069866.ece
It is all Sugami's fault. :lol:
Keavy wrote:But for me, average Joe consumer with just an SDTV who already owns a 360 there's no reason to take the PS3 plunge.

That is Sony's problem right there
Yes, I mentioned that. I was just pointing out the zing was not applicable to me because it was a good value. Now if I had forked out the cash and did not have an extensive playstation game collection, HDTV, PSP, and Wireless network, then yes the zing would have been applicable to me. :)
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Keavy wrote:Sug's homeboy over at SCEE dropped a bomb earlier about Sony discontinuing the now $499 PS3 in favor of the 80GB model coming soon.
I have a "homeboy"? News to me :lol:
Its a great starter system and with an ample library of cheap games it appeals to those who want to get into gaming but don't want to spend a fortune on a more expensive console.
Poppy-cock, I'm sure the PS2 was peanuts back then and certainly cheaper than the XBox. All the PS1 games work on it and I'm sure there was (and still is) a buttload of preowned consoles making it even cheaper.
Tivia wrote:Heh, in order for it to be a zing there has to be some element of truth. Sorry I do not consider the PS3 a big loss for my wallet because I actually use all the features of it. For me it more then justifies it's price, if nothing else in the short time I have owned it I have easily used it twice as much as I ever did my PS2.
Hey I never "miss-zing" :P I don't care if you enjoy and use every aspect of that console it still put a big hole in your wallet and therefore is a big lose for your wallet. Zing! :P
Tivia wrote:It is all Sugami's fault.
Good! :lol: Take that, Sony fanboys in UK! :P :lol:
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

At the time I bought a PS2 in 2001 I paid $300 for it- in comparism the PS1 latest model was selling for about $100. A $200 dollar difference isn't exactly peanuts to most people.

Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Sugami wrote:
Hey I never "miss-zing" :P I don't care if you enjoy and use every aspect of that console it still put a big hole in your wallet and therefore is a big lose for your wallet. Zing! :P
Mis Zing :)

$600 did not put a big hole in my wallet, compared to the $1000 i was looking at for just a Blu-Ray player to go with my hdtv, $600 was a steal. The fact that it was a next Gen gaming system to boot was bonus for me.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:
Keavy wrote:Sug's homeboy over at SCEE dropped a bomb earlier about Sony discontinuing the now $499 PS3 in favor of the 80GB model coming soon.
I have a "homeboy"? News to me :lol:
*Shows a video of SCEE president David Reeves and Sugami leaving a London pub after last call drunkenly singing "White Lines"*

I don't know what you'd all call that, but that seems pretty "homeboy" to me!
Its a great starter system and with an ample library of cheap games it appeals to those who want to get into gaming but don't want to spend a fortune on a more expensive console.
Poppy-cock, I'm sure the PS2 was peanuts back then and certainly cheaper than the XBox. All the PS1 games work on it and I'm sure there was (and still is) a buttload of preowned consoles making it even cheaper.
There was a time when PS1 was $49.99 here in the US while the PS2 was $299.99, the Xbox was $199.99 and the Gamecube was $149.99. Junior wants a game system, PS1 was a great deal and with all those cheap games he'd be entertained for ages.

And if the gave you any lip about PS1 being outdated...*Smack*
That right there...
Tivia wrote:It is all Sugami's fault.
Good! :lol: Take that, Sony fanboys in UK! :P :lol:
And that is why we all wuv you Sugami. Well, in a totally platonic way. I think its safe to say me and Sugami are the bastard sons of MithraPride.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

ScarlettPheonix wrote:At the time I bought a PS2 in 2001 I paid $300 for it- in comparism the PS1 latest model was selling for about $100. A $200 dollar difference isn't exactly peanuts to most people.
2001 is like 6 years ago, we're talking last year when the PS1 came to the end of its production line (apparently). You could get brand new PS2's for £80 and preowned for £30-50, PS1 I have no idea I'm guessing £10-20 but I'd never see any new ones in the shops.
Tivia wrote:$600 did not put a big hole in my wallet, compared to the $1000 i was looking at for just a Blu-Ray player to go with my hdtv, $600 was a steal. The fact that it was a next Gen gaming system to boot was bonus for me.
600 bucks would be a big hole in my wallet, granted one grand is a bigger hole but it's still a big hole nonetheless.

Were you really looking for Blu-Ray players? I haven't seen a single Blu-Ray disk for sale yet, hard enough finding HD movies :? :oops:

P.S. Zing! :lol:
Keavy wrote:*Shows a video of SCEE president David Reeves and Sugami leaving a London pub after last call drunkenly singing "White Lines"*
Who the f*ck's David Reeves and I don't even know that song. I haven't been into London for ages and I generally don't go drinking there either :P

Bastard sons? So Mithra Pride wasn't married when it had us? :oops:
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

You weren't exactly clear on exactly what time frame you were implying with your original comment Sug- and the PS2 didn't start dropping in price significantly until well after its release- and even then the PS1 was cheaper then most PS2 games.

For several years there was a rather big price gap between the two systems- which as Keavy pointed out- is why the PS1 stayed so popular for so long.

Speaking as a parent- when my husband and I buy electronics for our son we deliberatly don't go for the higher priced brands even if they're brands we like and trust simply because we know there's an excellent chance he'll manage to fold, spindle or mutilate it somehow and that accidents do happen at his age- sometimes frequently.

Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:
Keavy wrote:*Shows a video of SCEE president David Reeves and Sugami leaving a London pub after last call drunkenly singing "White Lines"*
Who the f*ck's David Reeves and I don't even know that song. I haven't been into London for ages and I generally don't go drinking there either :P

Bastard sons? So Mithra Pride wasn't married when it had us? :oops:
Here's the proof. You can't deny it now!
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

ScarlettPheonix wrote:You weren't exactly clear on exactly what time frame you were implying with your original comment Sug- and the PS2 didn't start dropping in price significantly until well after its release- and even then the PS1 was cheaper then most PS2 games.
I though it was implied since you mentioned it only stopped being in production a year ago (or so) and I said who'd want one when PS2 is so cheap and PS3 is on the verge of release.

Most kids would have a hissy fit if their parents went out and bought a predated console over the newer one :P and most parents these days seem to get kids just about anything they want to make up for the lack of parenting :oops: :roll:

Oh so that's White Lines, I'll have to lookup the proper version :P
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

I had to go back and reread the posts :lol:

Your first comment did mention 2006 and PS3's upcoming release, which is what you were referring too later on I guess.

What threw me was your "back then" comment- 2006 isn't exactly all that far in the past after all, so "back then" could cover a considerably longer time frame, which is what I took it as.

And you're right about a lot of the parents today- if you want to call them "parents" at all- who do go out and get the newest shiny to silence Jr.

My son is indulged quite a bit since he's an only child, I'll admit, but my husband and I try very hard not to spoil him.

Hell, its a constant battle with my family when it comes to gifts for him at his birthday time- I've seen too many kids who see their birthday as gimme-presents-day then anything else and then throw the world's worst temper tantrum when they a) don't get what they want or b) one of the other kids at the party decides to play with it- I'd just prefer not to have him expect any gifts just because its his birthday.

A fun time with friends and enough sugar to kill a horse, yes- but a new toy store, no.

Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:
ScarlettPheonix wrote:You weren't exactly clear on exactly what time frame you were implying with your original comment Sug- and the PS2 didn't start dropping in price significantly until well after its release- and even then the PS1 was cheaper then most PS2 games.
I though it was implied since you mentioned it only stopped being in production a year ago (or so) and I said who'd want one when PS2 is so cheap and PS3 is on the verge of release.

Most kids would have a hissy fit if their parents went out and bought a predated console over the newer one :P and most parents these days seem to get kids just about anything they want to make up for the lack of parenting :oops: :roll:

Oh so that's White Lines, I'll have to lookup the proper version :P
Yeah, I had White Lines on my comp but lost it last year when my friend deleted my music collection to make room for his torrent. I can't remember who did it and I got it off of Limewire so who knows if the artist info was even correct.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Tivia wrote:Interesting note,
In a worst case scenario for me, the PS3 did everything my PS2 could with the addition of Blu-Ray. This was a win for me no matter how I looked at it. So even if I had zero PS3 games, I still can play all my favorite titles on a single console. A 360 for me is not nearly as good of a buy because I have no xbox games. so by the time I finished buying a 360, a HD addon, and a reasonable selection of games, I have easily $800 spent off the bat just assuming I buy only 4 games. Clearly not a good value no matter how you try and paint it.
why did you add the HD-DVD drive in that price, you don't need it for playing games......also I still call Blue-ray the next betamax..... I think it was a very unnecessary move, the PS3 would have been perfectly fine using HD-DVDs at most.

I have an HD TV and I am still perfectly content with seeing normal DVD movies, there is no need for anything beyond that.
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Kailea wrote:
why did you add the HD-DVD drive in that price, you don't need it for playing games......also I still call Blue-ray the next betamax..... I think it was a very unnecessary move, the PS3 would have been perfectly fine using HD-DVDs at most.

I have an HD TV and I am still perfectly content with seeing normal DVD movies, there is no need for anything beyond that.
The rally cry of the SDF is to add on as much unnecessary sh*t as humanly possible to the Xbox 360 when comparing it to the PlayStation 3 because "j00 haev too match it featurr for featurr." Well, for $400 you get a fully functioning Xbox 360 with a free month of Live and after you add in a $15 Play 'n Charge kit you're set. Oh, the SDF always fails to mention that the PS3, the system that defines High-Definition next-generation entertainment, only comes with composite cables so if you want to output in HD you'll either need to buy the overpriced PS2 Component cables or, if you're smart and have a newer HDTV drop $10 over at Newegg.com for an HDMI cable because only a retard spends $75 for one at a brick and mortar. Wait, scratch that. My last statement is offensive to retards who have done nothing wrong. What I meant to say was total fucking idiot who would gladly pay good money for a steaming hot cup of coffee in the middle of a heatwave.

Typical "PS3 is cheaper than 360" argument:

Take one Premium 360 $400
Add in two 20GB HDD's at $100 each. Well, make that three since the 80GB model is coming soon.
Add on one HD-DVD drive at $200, even if you don't want or need it.
Then add in the Play 'n Charge kit at $15
Oh, and can't forget XBL at $50 a year. Add snide remark about how you'll only need four years of service because that's how long MS supports their consoles. And spell MS M$ because, after all, only Microsoft is greedy and money-hungry.

Then you do the math and "OMG! The PS3 comes out cheaper!!!!"

Well, if you need all that then yeah, PS3 does come out cheaper.

What I say is pick the console that has the games you want, stick with it, and have fun. Just because I don't think PS3's worth my hard-earned money doesn't mean its not worth yours.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

ScarlettPheonix wrote:What threw me was your "back then" comment- 2006 isn't exactly all that far in the past after all, so "back then" could cover a considerably longer time frame, which is what I took it as.
:lol: back then is back then to me, anywhere that is not now or the future :lol:
I've seen too many kids who see their birthday as gimme-presents-day then anything else and then throw the world's worst temper tantrum when they a) don't get what they want or b) one of the other kids at the party decides to play with it- I'd just prefer not to have him expect any gifts just because its his birthday.

A fun time with friends and enough sugar to kill a horse, yes- but a new toy store, no.
:lol: :rofl:

360 vs PS3 aside, the more interesting battle is HD vs Blu-Ray and HD will come out on top. Why? One word... "porn". That's right the porn industry is behind HD like it was behind the VHS back in the days, never underestimate the power of porn :lol:
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Kailea wrote:

Because for my comparison I was looking for a High Definition DVD player. The comparison I used is only applicable to me. Since I was looking for an HD player, clearly the 360 without the HD-DVD addon would not even be in consideration.

Sorry Keavy, it has nothing to do with the whole innane PS3 vs 360 argument for the general populace. I was only speaking about it's application to my personal use. I think I was more then fair in pointing out which groups which system would be a good value for.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:360 vs PS3 aside, the more interesting battle is HD vs Blu-Ray and HD will come out on top. Why? One word... "porn". That's right the porn industry is behind HD like it was behind the VHS back in the days, never underestimate the power of porn :lol:
Blockbuster has opted for Blu-Ray over HD. Two years ago this would have spelled the end for HD. But with on demand and Netflix is Blockbuster relevant anymore? Or, to be more to the point, are their decisions relevant to this battle at this juncture of space, time, and tech?

Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Also concerning porn, It no longer has the influence it did in the VHS/Betamax days. There was not internet then and Video was the only way to get it. Now that we are in the age of highspeed internet, the Porn industry will have little to no impact on it.

The winner will be determined by who has the most major studio support. Because lets be real here, if the studios are not producing it clearly people cannot buy it. Blu-Ray has more studio support, period. The reality however is this, at best Blu-Ray and HD-DVD will remain niche until they are on the same cost level as DVD. Blu-Ray will simply own more of that "Niche" market.