Presenting the New Player's Guide! (03/30/2007)

A place to talk about... anything!
Leane
Irresponsible Adventurer

Presenting the New Player's Guide! (03/30/2007)

Post by Leane »

For all of you who have just started your new lives in Vana'diel as adventurers, as well as for those of you who may be interested in learning about FINAL FANTASY XI, we present the New Player's Guide, a collection of informative pages filled with fun movies and tips to aide in your adventurer's life.

In the first movies available on the site, you can learn about basics such as conversation, fighting, using your Mog House, and making money. We hope that the guide helps you to enjoy FINAL FANTASY XI to the fullest.

Click here for the New Player's Guide.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

About damned time. SE has needed something like this for a long time. One of the biggest complaints for FFXI is that it's not very user friendly for someone coming to it cold, unlike some other games.

I personally liked the challenge of discovering Vana'diel and figuring out just what to do, but I know a lot of other new players who are used to games more like WoW have been turned off by FFXI's rather steep learning curve.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I remember when I first got in the game I was like... how the f*ck do you move?! :lol:

Gonna have a look through this thing 'cause I'm curious :)
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

For me it was /heal. I kept running back in to my moghouse to heal the first day or so I was playing. :lol:
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

am I the only one that reads manuals? :p When the game was installing and updateing, me and my friend skimmed the manual. Read up on how to move and other basics of the game ^.^
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Its been long enough since I started that I honestly don't remember if I actually read the control/command section or not. I know I read the manual, but since part of the fun for me with a new game is discovering the controls, so I probably just skipped over that section.

Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

I read the Brady Guide before I installed the game. Well, not the whole thing.....

I approve of the concept without even looking at it. It HAS to be better than Brady.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Igihstehr
Tomcat

Post by Igihstehr »

Kailea wrote:am I the only one that reads manuals? :p When the game was installing and updateing, me and my friend skimmed the manual. Read up on how to move and other basics of the game ^.^
:lol: When I first got the game my graphics card would not support the game, so I read the manual cover to cover a couple times and went through a guide that I had bought (might be Brady but I don't think so) at least four or five times...
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1026/891925608_d883ad1e18_o.jpg[/img]
[size=75].:|DRG 58|WHM 42|THF 32|BLM 30|SAM 30|BLU 29|WAR 28|BRD 26|NIN 20|SMN 18|RNG 18|MNK 16|DRK 13|PLD 10|RDM 7|:.
San D'Oria Rank 7 || Cooking 22 | Woodworking 47 | Fishing 20 | Alchemy 10[/size]
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Tsybil wrote:I read the Brady Guide before I installed the game. Well, not the whole thing.....

I approve of the concept without even looking at it. It HAS to be better than Brady.
The Brady guide was a steaming pile of crap full of awful misinformation and a waste of $15.

Yes, I had the Brady guide, too. That was when I first started playing and was unaware that there were sites like SomePage and Allakazam.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Keavy wrote:The Brady guide was a steaming pile of crap full of awful misinformation and a waste of $15.

Yes, I had the Brady guide, too. That was when I first started playing and was unaware that there were sites like SomePage and Allakazam.
The Brady guide had a LOT of useful and relevant information. It had much useless crap and misinformation too. I still use it for the maps and crafting lists. Don't have a Windower or second machine by my side.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Just take out the job section of Brady's, the rest is decent. Crafting as well as the missions and a lot of the older quests write-ups are very accurate, even if some of them are a bit misleading on when you can do them. Really wish they'd organized the quests by suggested level or fame requirments.

The FFXI atlas book that came out 2(?) years ago is a great investment for a new player and well worth the money I think.

Rinni
Tomcat

Post by Rinni »

the guide definately is. fair enough it can't keep up to date with the improvments and changes in game, but at least it does give you a basic guide in getting to grips with early times in the game. i didn't use my guide that much as i finished up playing, but it's a reasonable source of info. (was the updated one i got) helped me out with a few things, although not everything.
am a lil' kitty an' i <3 to fish.

Mmm Fishies.

lvl 54 {fisherman}
i will be a master!
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

I remember when I first got the game I knew no one. I was an Elvaan Rdm named Treska, and I forget what server I was on. (It wasn't Cerberus, my home now). I remeber they started me out, for some freaky reason, in Port Sandy right next to the airship place.

I looked around and saw no one. Saw no chatter either. I thought to myself, is this game dead already? Does no one play any more? Am I too late to get into FFXI? So I learned to move around a bit and some how stumbled down to South Sandy. I was infront of the AH(Before I even knew what that was) and I was still trying to figure out the chat commands. I was conversing with someone in shout for about a minute before people corrected me on that. I made a friend, he told me how to acess my menu. >.<

Alot has changed, ne?
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Pretty cool for newbies. It's a good thing.

I had to laugh at the "How to make money" section. It showed a little taru farming silk thread from crawlers as the example.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I made my first friend outside in Saruta, we were killing the same things and same level so we buddied up and started trying to do quests :lol:

I started on BLM and didn't realise I had a spell in my inventory until I was level 4 or something :lol:
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

I had to be the silly one then i suppose...

when i started off in FFXI, I got the Star Onion Brigade opening CS and didnt know what the hell was going on. Then quickly after that i found myself wondering around Port Windurst and accidentally stumbled upon the bastore sardine quest which helped fund my first few spells once someone told me I could leave port and come back to do the quest again.

It took me a month before i got the hang of using the warp taru. mostly because i didnt know what was going on when i talked to them.

and in defence of the bradly guide, just rip out the "suggested sub jobs" and strike thru Flash on the RDM list, and hand edit the section for summoner... >.> where they dont give enough information. Made me think summoner stopped getting cool abilities by level 50.
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Well, in fairness to the guide, it was released before SMNs even got Fenrir so my guess is at that time SMNs didn't get alot of new blood pacts after 50.

And yea, take Flash and Cure V off the RDM spell list in there. :lol:

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

The guide seems to think WARs are primary tanks and do crappy damage :lol:

If you look at the allak forums WAR section there's at least 3 posts saying how crap it is.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Red Mages could use Flash and Cure 5? Damn!

I remember when I first picked up FFXI. I started a WHM Mithra names Tretis on a server I no longer remember.

Lets just say the end result was I got into a paty levels 1-4 and ended up using Benediction, watching it heal everything before going WTF at the recast timer, and just gave up on WHM.

It took me until sometime in 2004 to start a Warrior Mithra whom I named Fiye on the server Valefor in hopes of meeting Zev and getting featured in one of her comics (Back when she released them on ffvault.ign.com). Once I hit warrior 7, I switched to WHM (After I had brought up a Doctor, healing class, on AO to level60.) and well... Look at me now.

Although. I hate to say this but Fiye is, for the most part, retired 'til a spark of love comes back for WHM.
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

RDM used to be able to use flash before Zilart came out... but RDM were too teh Uber and it got taken away. Thats why RDM have divine magic skill.. but no divine magic.

I'm gonna but the ppls at my local electronic entertainment dealership to see if they got the new guide and to see if it got its info right this time in the areas i lerv most.
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

RDM have an E in both Divine and Dark Magic I believe. No native Divine spells and only two native Dark spells (Bio and Bio II discounting Bio III).

Start of the game RDM had like a B in Enfeebling and no Refresh, no one was interesting in a job class that could do everything poorly so they gave them a purpose and now they're one of the most wanted jobs in the game :)
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Kahvi wrote:RDM used to be able to use flash before Zilart came out... but RDM were too teh Uber and it got taken away. Thats why RDM have divine magic skill.. but no divine magic.
I always thought it was so we could skill Divine while /WHM.....

I STILL want Regen II and III. Those ARE Enhancing afterrr all.

Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Tsybil wrote:
Kahvi wrote:RDM used to be able to use flash before Zilart came out... but RDM were too teh Uber and it got taken away. Thats why RDM have divine magic skill.. but no divine magic.
I always thought it was so we could skill Divine while /WHM.....

I STILL want Regen II and III. Those ARE Enhancing afterrr all.
Lol.

You can have Regen 2. I like having Regen 3.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Presenting the New Player's Guide! (03/30/2007)

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Presenting the New Player's Guide! (03/30/2007)

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru