eBay outlaws sale of MMO characters, gear, and money.

A place to talk about... anything!
Keavy
Drunker than thou

eBay outlaws sale of MMO characters, gear, and money.

Post by Keavy »

Yup, you can't sell your character, Gear, and/or characters on eBay anymore. Only exemption of the ban is Second Life because according to their TOS the player owns their character and their gear.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Sakino
Big Cat

Post by Sakino »

Nice... if only IGE would leave FFXI alone.
Ph33r th3 b4rd!

[img]http://img89.imageshack.us/img89/4166/131035531942hl.gif[/img]

"Wealth is an illusion, power is fleeting, but tuna... tuna is REAL!" - Brynmor of Phoenix
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Pointless,

Very little of that is sold on Ebay anymore anyhow. Individual IGE type sites and playerauctions are where it all occurs.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

It's a start
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Shirai wrote:It's a start
Yes, some improvement is better than no improvement.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

People who quit tend to sell their characters on eBay :oops:
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Not really, Ebay has been yanking player character auctions for all games for years now. This is just a formal announcement of a policy they have effectively had since Sony rode their ass about selling EQ accounts. This is a PR move, nothing more.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Mainly due to Blizzard pushing eBay to do something about their rampant RMT transactions on eBay. Seems like WoW is finally gonna start doing something about RMT, too.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I am a bit skeptical about that, there are alot of rumors that a number of RMT are throwing kickbacks at Blizzard and blizzard is accepting them. One of those rumors indicate that this is one of the driving forces that wow is in the millions of subscribers, not hundreds of thousands like other MMOs. While it is a rumor I cannot discount it completely, while wow is a decent game all in all, it is not good enough to attract 6 million+ accounts when the most successful MMO previous to that capped at 400k, just by being a marginally "better" game.

It is a rumor of course, but one that gives one more then a bit of pause.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I know a couple of people who sold their characters on eBay :? one get theirs back recently :oops:

Don't really care what Blizzard are doing about it, lolWoW :P
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Unfortunately, rumors of companies accepting kickbacks from RMT companies are just that, rumors. Obviously, the company is going to keep such a thing very hush-hush, and the rumors were probably most likely started by someone getting mad and going "I'll bet X-Company is getting paid to let them do what they want." I see this all the time in FFXI, "Don't bother calling the GMs, the RMT just pay them off anyway". :(
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Oh I agree, there really is nothing to substantiate rumor. I just to this day have a hard time swallowing WoW coming in and sweeping up 6 million+ I think the figure it closer to 8 million subscribers, in a market where the largest predecessor was a scant 400k.

I played wow, multiple toons to 60. Honestly I just never really found it any more engaging or fun then any other good mmo on the market. But I am tired and randomly speculating now so I will just drop it.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Tivia wrote:Oh I agree, there really is nothing to substantiate rumor. I just to this day have a hard time swallowing WoW coming in and sweeping up 6 million+.
They're advertising 7 Million now Tivia.

Also, I can beleive it. There's 5 kids in my school that play WoW. ANd as for FFXI? 1. Myself.
Sakino
Big Cat

Post by Sakino »

Bye bye Littlecater and Hahagirl (Rusty cap gilsellers).

/bows to SE.
Ph33r th3 b4rd!

"Wealth is an illusion, power is fleeting, but tuna... tuna is REAL!" - Brynmor of Phoenix
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Sakino wrote:Bye bye Littlecater and Hahagirl (Rusty cap gilsellers).

/bows to SE.
*sends cupcakes +1 to Sak*

Enjoy!
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

One thing I've been curious about, how does Blizzard count their population?

I know SE tries to make a difference between accounts and actual characters but does Blizzard? If they lump accounts and characters together then that might boost their numbers significantly, or even if they were just counting characters.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Sakino
Big Cat

Post by Sakino »

Fiye wrote:
Sakino wrote:Bye bye Littlecater and Hahagirl (Rusty cap gilsellers).

/bows to SE.
*sends cupcakes +1 to Sak*

Enjoy!
:9
Ph33r th3 b4rd!

Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

ScarlettPheonix wrote:One thing I've been curious about, how does Blizzard count their population?
IIRC they count every person who has registered for an account. If FFXI did that they'd probably be in the realm of 3-4 million.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Keavy wrote:
ScarlettPheonix wrote:One thing I've been curious about, how does Blizzard count their population?
IIRC they count every person who has EVER registered for an account. If FFXI did that they'd probably be in the realm of 3-4 million.
Fix'd.

I do believe that both companies count each account as a separate individual.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Tivia wrote:Not really, Ebay has been yanking player character auctions for all games for years now. This is just a formal announcement of a policy they have effectively had since Sony rode their ass about selling EQ accounts. This is a PR move, nothing more.
Yeah -- it's really really old news for ebay to make that announcement. It was new like 4-5 years ago. I'm wondering what prompted them to come out and make a statement like that. Most character "sales" are to friends and acquaintances, not on auction sites. The auctions have always been more of a teaser to generate interest and support for sales in other channels.

BTW, pretty much the only thing that is keeping me from ever selling off any of my characters in any MMORPG is that I just can't bear the thought of someone else running around with *MY NAME* overhead. If a game ever had a way to force a name change on one of your characters, I wouldn't hesitate to sell when I quit.

Well, the other things keeping from doing it are that I might come back and want to play again and that I really don't need the money. So far the only mmorpg that I've actually quit and couldn't care less if all the characters got deleted was WOW. I can recreate a WOW character in a couple weeks -- including endgame stuff. The other games all had significant time invested. WoW was a lot of fun, but it's fluff compared to other mmorpgs.
Igihstehr
Tomcat

Post by Igihstehr »

Okuza wrote:BTW, pretty much the only thing that is keeping me from ever selling off any of my characters in any MMORPG is that I just can't bear the thought of someone else running around with *MY NAME* overhead.
That makes me safe. I can see someone buying my charachter, finding out the name is Igihstehr and demanding a refund. :lol:
[img]http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1026/891925608_d883ad1e18_o.jpg[/img]
[size=75].:|DRG 58|WHM 42|THF 32|BLM 30|SAM 30|BLU 29|WAR 28|BRD 26|NIN 20|SMN 18|RNG 18|MNK 16|DRK 13|PLD 10|RDM 7|:.
San D'Oria Rank 7 || Cooking 22 | Woodworking 47 | Fishing 20 | Alchemy 10[/size]
Larxene
Kitten

Post by Larxene »

Meh, it's a start but still won't help Midgardsormr one bit. That server is probably one of the worst, if not the worst. As for WoW, meh, I play both WoW and FFXI and I care for both. It's all a matter of how ya like to play, as seen with me and my constant changing mind.
Fear the fists of the almighty....Mr. Chan!
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

I too could not bear to see my Agentblack being controlled by someone else. You'd think that everything you've gone through with your character good or bad, you'd have somewhat of a bond with it. But then again, some ppl are just after money. Once again, its the source of all evil.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Money corrupts,
And if the price is high enough people will sell it.
RMT have even gone so far as to approach people in game making offers on their characters.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Shirai wrote:Money corrupts
Nothing can't be truer about that, but in reality, we will never get rid of RMTers.

The best way of doing it is having SE open up a RMT website of their own, and make any trading on other RMT sites using FFXI based items illegal. Then, with their website, just tax people for anything they sell.

More money for SE, and it will help control RMTing.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

so do eBay reputations. 3 people I know selling mmorpg accounts on eBay has gotten a bad user reputation by me, well one deserved it, that's for selling me an item on eBay then yanking it off the listing before I can negotiate shipping >.>

I just make it clear what their doing is not legal in that it violates a user contract with the mmorpg companies, I have yet to have anyone contact me to dispute me xD
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

SE trying to stop RMT, is like Bush trying to Stop terrorist. It aint gonna happen.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

well, actually I think we have a better chance of the RMT being stopped, but anyway. :oops:
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Kintrra wrote:well, actually I think we have a better chance of the RMT being stopped, but anyway. :oops:
:lol: :lol: :lol:
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

ya? At least Square is DOING something. Which is more then I can say for all the other MMORPG Companies.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |