Leave it to SE....

A place to talk about... anything!
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Leave it to SE....

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

To come up with yet another diabolical activity for us to sacrifice our hard earned exp on.

Salvage
New Multiplayer Battlefields: Salvage (12/15/2006)
Concept

The Aht Urhgan expansion pack has introduced a myriad of new battles--from the quick, SWAT-style Assault missions to the citywide skirmishes experienced in Besieged. Salvage continues in this tradition by offering several new exploratory missions designed for alliances. While similar to Limbus battles in that up to 18 adventurers can participate, Salvage battles are more than a relentless assault on a seemingly never-ending wave of enemies—they will require precise teamwork and impeccable strategy to complete.

Objective
The main objective of Salvage missions is the exploration of the archaeological remains of four newly opened areas (Zhayolm Remnants, Arrapago Remnants, Bhaflau Remnants, Silver Sea Remnants) and the eradication the demonic beasts that rule their deepest depths. However, this will not be as easy as it sounds. A powerful force known only as the Pathos of Alzadaal limits the abilities of all who enter, making them easy prey for the hordes of fiends waiting in the shadows.
To complete these missions, alliances must work as one, or the treasure that slumbers in the remnants' bowels will remain lost for eternity.

Participation
Adventurers must be level 65 or above, and be in a party/alliance of between 6 to 18 players. There are no mission rank or mercenary rank requirements.

Remnants Permits
In addition to meeting the aforementioned criteria, adventurers also must possess a "remnants permit." This key item can be obtained in exchange for Assault points (2000) and will grant entry to any one of the four remnants. Please note that a permit can only be used once, and adventurers must wait until midnight (Earth time) before they will be allowed to purchase another.

Area Reservation
Unlike Dynamis or Limbus, Salvage uses a battle system similar to Assault, meaning that area reservations are not required.
Also, Salvage mission time limits are all set at 100 minutes, and there are no items or monsters that can extend that limit.

The Pathos of Alzadaal
When adventurers begin a Salvage mission, they may have as many as 20 different limits hampering their abilities, equipment, attributes, and more. The only way to reach the guardian of the area and retrieve its treasure is to remove these limits. However, removing these limits requires the defeat of the other monsters roaming the remnants.
The following is a list of the various types of Pathos:

Imbued Items

Imbued Items
The Pathos of Alzadaal can only be neutralized with special potions and medicines known as "imbued items." Most of these items are pathos-specific and will only cure one ailment. They can be found on monsters or within treasure coffers hidden throughout the remains.
One of the keys for success in the Salvage missions is determining in which order members of the alliance receive the imbued items.

*Players must dispose of any imbued items they bring back from the remains before they will be allowed to enter again.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Vatrina
Tomcat

Post by Vatrina »

That looks absolutely evil. Now I'm all for a challenge but that's a little overboard.
75 RNG elite 75 BLM 75 PLD 75 SMN
Windurst Rank 10
Bastok Rank 10
San d'Oria Rank 10
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Vatrina wrote:That looks absolutely evil. Now I'm all for a challenge but that's a little overboard.
Yeah, but damn, that does sound like a ton of fun. Hopefully it won't be dominated by one group *Cough*RMT*Cough*
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Not anytime soon I don't think.

RMT doesn't seem elite or high speed enough to really go for this right away- not without at least figuring out a way to set the odds in their favor or letting legitimate players figure out and share the best strategies for completing it first.

They don't do stuff unless they're sure of a (relatively) easy pay-off and since there doesn't seem to be any way to predict what limitations you're going to have when you enter.....

Well, let's just say- an army of Taru BLMs isn't going to last very long if they can't cast at all.

I mean, yes RMT is in Sky, Sea, HNM, Dynamis and Limbus- but I've never seen RMT take on the Jailers (for instance), defeate AV or DL, much less going into Dynamis Bubu, Valkurm or Tav. I don't think they even really go after the ENM fights either- and those drop some very desirable items.

RMT tends to follow the path of least resistance- and Salvage doesn't seem designed for cowards or the faint of heart.
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Kessa
Housecat

Post by Kessa »

So much new stuff in ToAU looks like i'm gonna have alot of work ahead of me ... I just wonder how many people on valefor will explain to me the uselessness of thief in those new features..
[img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Shinrasin/Signature/The-Master-Thief.png[/img]
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Salvage is instanced. That means RMT can't block others from doing it directly. The only folks that would buy Salvage stuff from RMT would be those who have no friends in game (which makes one wonder why they play or would buy stuff). Looks like SE has finally clued in that monopoly only serves RMT. I just wish they'd fix all the existing content to not be monopolizable.

2000 IMP to enter is pretty steep. That's 20,000 XP. What if you don't need any more XP? Full merits and capped XP on all jobs? I wish it was coins instead of IMPs directly. Then you could buy them. The ToAU XP areas are already waaay overcrowded. This will make it worse.

On the bright side, it does look challenging. I just hope the rewards are worth it. I'm looking forward to seeing what new items show up in the .dats after the patch.
Bitneko
Tomcat

Re: Leave it to SE....

Post by Bitneko »

ScarlettPheonix wrote: Image
It's a mine. :shock:
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Assault points (2000)
I just reread it. AP, not IPs. Ugh. I suppose this might give people a reason to do assaults. It's still a ROYAL pain by comparison to the requirements for the other end-game zones (dynamis and limbus). Everyone hates assaults. Hmm. "Hates" is probably too strong. More like fatal enui due to ultra low reward:effort.

Because of the AP requirement and the daily limit on Assaults (you can't make a team to help everyone out -- everyone has to kind of find their own team), I predict that we'll see very little interest in Salvage at all unless the drop-list is pretty incredible. The scheduling and organizational requirements to obtain AP are just too painful otherwise.

I hope it's not another fiasco like CoP-Dynamis. Costs same as regular dynamis, much harder to do, drops 1/6 to 1/4 of mostly the same stuff, and is mutually exclusive with regular dynamis (can't do both). So, which do you do?

I hope the drop-list is seriously motivating to everyone. I'd love to finally rank up past PSC and try out the new fights.
Tianshii
Mad Cat

Post by Tianshii »

yeah.. this looks pretty.. :? ...effed up...
On the other hand, I'm not one to pass up a challenge!!
I want to take (at least) 6 mithra of various jobs in there to see if our natural agi help when we're strrripped of gear and such...
:lol: how's your hand-to-hand skill lol
Assassen Summoner
[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o233/PuszNboots/sigs/Tianshii_this.jpg[/img]
SMN75~SAM75~whm75~thf42~DNC38~drg33
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

I missed that too- that it takes AP not IP to enter it. IP is easy enough to get really, just hit up a the lvl 6 besiegeds when they happen and you're sitting pretty in IP quickly enough. Although, to be fair- Assault groups are always being formed on my server and the ones I've been on (4/5 PSC rank ones) encourage a variety of jobs in your parties.

I personally don't do Assault that much- the Assault Points you're rewarded seem a bit skimpy for the events IMO.

ENM rewards several k of exp and a chance at some nice items but Assault (at least at PSC rank) doesn't reward enough AP for it to be worth my while. If I could solo some Assault missions, maybe- but 500-900 AP (my average) and a good chance of death on certain missions? Thanks, but no thanks. I have better uses for my time.

Edit- H2H skill? Pffftt- RDMs suck at H2H. Sure, SE lets us play with H2H weapons, but we don't get any fancy skill for them. My Sword and Dagger skills are capped though^^

No casting + No equips part is going to suuuuucccckkkk though- RDMs are pretty much sitting ducks when we're forced to be nekkid and mute. :cry:

Its a damned good thing my evasion's capped >.>

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

F*ck that, hard enough to get a successful Assault group together regularly not gonna waste my AP on this crap.

Imperial Standing or Currency would be better :x
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

AP aren't that hard to get, and if the rewards from this are a bit worthwhile you will see a lot of assault shouts.

Remember that Assault is something you can do with any /shout group as long as you carry the right badge.
Also if you lose an assault ~100 AP will still be rewarded.
Enought people do Assault, I see /shouts on my server all the time.
If they're seeking people, who gives? Just join it, it's not like it costs you any money.

As for Salvage, it looks like a fun challenge.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

About as much fun as Jormy.

Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Kessa wrote:So much new stuff in ToAU looks like i'm gonna have alot of work ahead of me ... I just wonder how many people on valefor will explain to me the uselessness of thief in those new features..
I don't know. How many residents of Valefor post on GameFAQs?

The loljobname fads usually start there.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kessa
Housecat

Post by Kessa »

What do you have to do to get assault points, just assualts or is there another way. And how difficult are they?
[img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Shinrasin/Signature/The-Master-Thief.png[/img]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Kessa wrote:What do you have to do to get assault points, just assaults or is there another way. And how difficult are they?
Just assaults, and they are not difficult with the right crew for the particular Assault.

For instance, one involves beating down walls. You want Melee/NIN +2 RDM or 2 BLM or one of each. I have done this one with 3 Melee/NINs and only me.

Another is Lamina #13. She has a crew of Charmed Imp. troops. With 3 RDMs or /RDMs you just keep Dispelling the Charm and the Imp. troops do most of the damage.

For Golden Salvage, a SMN can practically solo it, but it takes 3 minimum to enter....

Preemptive Strike takes 3 melees and a Healer, RDM/WHM seems preferred, but WHM/BLM works fine.

Look them up and plan accordingly.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Kessa wrote:explain to me the uselessness of thief in those new features.
Well, when it comes to HNM and sky and such, THF is actually one of the more useful jobs. It's definitely more useful than MNK,DRG,BST,&PUP. It's a toss up for THF v. SAM or BLU. Sometimes I'd rather have the THF, sometimes SAM or BLU. THF just has a hard time with XP because of burn parties and because it takes a TON of effort to gear a THF nicely.

THF has it hard for any event that is chaotic. If the tanks can't keep it stable for the THF to sneak and trick, THF is pointless. I'd seriously consider meriting Feint all the way to Feint-5. If you can't sneak and trick, the next best thing is making everyone the alliance never miss a hit. Think about how nice that will be with everyone naked and using H2H -- low skill cap for everyone but mnk.

IMHO, 4xTHF with Feint-5 might become absolutely critical for Salvage. With 4 at max-Feint, you can keep Feint on the target 100% of the time.
Tsybil wrote:not difficult with the right crew for the particular Assault.
This is true, but you kinda breezed right by the "right crew" aspect. You need a particular set of jobs for each assault. So, in order to progress in rank, you need a TON of jobs leveled up or you need to setup a static to do assaults every single day. Being forced to do an unpleasant activity (level up a bunch of jobs you'd rather not play to do a series of fights you'd rather not do) in order to have fun doing something you want to do is classic SE. I just wish the ratio of unfun:fun wasn't on the order of 20:1.

IMHO, gil would be best -- or coins (which is the same thing really). Making gil isn't terribly fun, but at least you have a choice of how you go about it. The best part about gil is that you can all do it as a shell. Group activities should be "funded" by similar other group activites, not by forcing the group to split up and do it on their ownsome.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

100 points is nothing considering the armour costs 20,000.

Pickup parties rarely go well, there's always an idiot that gets everyone killed and the majority of Assault shouts on Bahamut are from Japanese.

The only easy starting ones are Excavation Duty and Leujaoam Cleansing, the others require a degree of luck, which is never a good thing when you're on a time limit.

Ontop of that I'm still saving up for several Assault pieces so Salvage can just kiss my ass.
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Sugami wrote:Salvage can just kiss my ass.
I think that's going to be the general attitude. It's certainly mine right now. The only thing that could change it would be a pretty damn phenominal drop list.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Okuza wrote:
Sugami wrote:Salvage can just kiss my ass.
I think that's going to be the general attitude. It's certainly mine right now. The only thing that could change it would be a pretty damn phenominal drop list.
SE did let something go about making it easier to obtain Abjurations >.>

I can only silently hope.... *Dreams away*
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

lol we're on the same wavelength Shirai- that's my hope too. :lol:

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Heh I guess that's quite a possibility but likely SE will ruin it by giving it a really low drop rate :oops:
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

Sugami wrote:Heh I guess that's quite a possibility but likely SE will ruin it by giving it a really low drop rate :oops:
Or introduce armor that makes abjurations useless... >.> :oops:
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Kahvi wrote:
Sugami wrote:Heh I guess that's quite a possibility but likely SE will ruin it by giving it a really low drop rate :oops:
Or introduce armor that makes abjurations useless... >.> :oops:
As they did *swoons away at Marduk's*
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Marduk's? Linkage? :oops:
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

By Lockejv on KI:

DRK/WAR/PLD/DRG:

MNK/SAM/NIN/PUP: (lolOsode)

THF/BST/RNG/COR: (lolDragonHarness+1)

BLM/RDM/BLU:

WHM/BRD/SMN:

The new gear obtainable by Salvage.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

OMG that's secks, to hell with Pahluwan stuff then.

Only problem is how often would you get the drops or drop items for those thingies?
Bitneko
Tomcat

Post by Bitneko »

Shirai wrote:MNK/SAM/NIN/PUP: (lolOsode)

Bitneko
Tomcat

Post by Bitneko »

Bitneko wrote:
Shirai wrote:MNK/SAM/NIN/PUP: (lolOsode)

Pahluwhan (sp) is blown out of the water. :lol:

Edit: whoops, looks like I clicked too much. :oops:
Last edited by Bitneko on Tue Dec 19, 2006 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Okay I've heard need like 3 drops + buttload of materials for each piece :oops: there's an NPC somewhere that'll ask you for the materials.

Like 10 Imperial Wootz Ingots + 10 Imperial Gold Coins + the 3 required drops (that look like armour).

I knew there had to be a catch, a whole set probably cost close to a fully upgraded relic :(