Shoot first?

A place to talk about... anything!
Murto
Kitten

Post by Murto »

Just like how LOLBst is never considered a decent PT DD.

Compare me to a Mnk75/nin however and you can see the difference without Parser.

Like, what gets me is why ppl never invite Drgs to pts. They're among the best Melee DD's in the game. I've seen Drgs do normal dmg hits that make Sams and Gaxe-Wars wet their pants. Putting aside the fact they have a flying-blue-thing-of-doom, and Jumps, adding even more dmg.
And Pups too.

Theres really no point in shelling out 100x more gil for something thats just 1 or 2 extra Acc or 1 or 2 extra attack though. Hell, at lvl 75 i still use a lvl 56 Bst Axe in my offhand for Merit pts. Ppl always say to me "Get a Maneaters axe, ditch that lvl 56 piece or crap". I tell them to Gtfo. My axe is +7 str, and something no War can ever use. Everyone is entitled to their own style, something i respect and cherish in my playing. Its the reason I'm a Bst, i got sick of the whole "You cant lvl Job-X without "this" shiny piece of gear". I lvled a first job that gets away from all that bs and sticks to having fun, as opposed to worrying about not-being-gimp.

Ppl get too caught up in the whole "OMG liek, i'm a NINJA! i have kirin and byakko's and i have LOTS OF PWNAGElolz, i do liek blade:jin and it dies and i go ROFLCOPTER and you ph34r my pwnage" factor of having to be leet.

Keep that business to crap games like WoW and Guildwars, dont bring it here :P
3 jobs for the Tanks, brave shield for the men
5 jobs for the mages, wise and powerful
7 jobs for the Mortal melees, doom to eternal seek
2 jobs for the supports, in their ivory tower
1 job to rule them all, in the land of Ifrits Cauldron where the shadows lie,
One to solo them all and in the dirt let them die.
1 job to rule them all: Beastmaster.

Bst75, Rdm51, Nin37, War37, Blm37,
Hades Server - Proud Member of MithranPride and LordoftheBeasts
Rank 6 Windy
Beastmaster - Can you handle MY lizard?
AF v1 = Complete!
AF v2 = Head and Feet - O
Stockyboy
Big Cat

Post by Stockyboy »

E-peen numbers is what keeps me in the game.

EDIT: My friends too.
Mr. T pitties the fool, Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off, I /poke the fool.
Haubegeon: O
Hauberk: O
Drk75/War43/Nin60/Blm37/Thf37(DONE YES!)/Whm32/Drg22/Smn16/Rdm66/Bst18/Mnk10/Brd33/Pld11
All others not unlocked or not leveled ^^^
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c302/stockyboy/USSRallyourcookie-1.png[/img]
Murto
Kitten

Post by Murto »

Hehe, yea, despite what I just said, I will add that when i merit in Axe Burns with a War75 friend of mine, we always try to race eachother to get the highest Rampage dmg of the night ^^;

Rank 6 Windy
AF v1 = Complete!
Stockyboy
Big Cat

Post by Stockyboy »

A challenge is more fun, that's for sure. :lol:
Mr. T pitties the fool, Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off, I /poke the fool.
Drk75/War43/Nin60/Blm37/Thf37(DONE YES!)/Whm32/Drg22/Smn16/Rdm66/Bst18/Mnk10/Brd33/Pld11
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c302/stockyboy/USSRallyourcookie-1.png[/img]
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Murto wrote:ppl never invite Drgs to pts. They're among the best Melee DD's in the game. I've seen Drgs do normal dmg hits that make Sams and Gaxe-Wars wet their pants. Putting aside the fact they have a flying-blue-thing-of-doom, and Jumps, adding even more dmg.
DRG are really good DD, especially versus winged. The reason they're likely unloved is the most popular parser doesn't include any of the damage from that flappy Gecko-of-Lag. That plus DRGs always wear blue.

Blue isn't as cool as black. And the name -- DRAG+GOON. Really not very cool. DRG needs a coolness make-over. Either that or just give up and play Ninja. Ninjas are cool. They wear black. They use TWO swords with funky japanese names. They flip out and kill things! OK, only Taru NINs flip-out, but they're all cool.

'Course even a blue-wearing 'goon is cooler than a prancing BRD. BRD desperately needs a dash of cool. I swear that if SE changed the name of "Bard" to "Necromancer", replaced the swirling musical notes with little screaming skulls, and called 'em "blood rituals" instead of "songs" that we'd have more "Bards" playing the game than we'd know what to do with.

Then we could all build perfect groups in 10m, get 15k XP/h, and live happily ever onward with all the new cool kiddies.
Murto
Kitten

Post by Murto »

Soloing for 75 lvls, then joining Axe Burn merit pts and trying to keep up to War's without having all the buffs they have (ie: Berserk, Agressor, Warcry, Warriors Charge, Attack Bonus, Double attack, Useful AF) is a challenge, thats for sure XD

Rank 6 Windy
AF v1 = Complete!
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

You don't need 3rd party tools to see how much I can severly outdamage Ayr too ^^ :D
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Stockyboy
Big Cat

Post by Stockyboy »

Personally, you'll never keep up with a War/Nin in meripo imo, so you're prolly better off going /Drg with haste/atk gear, atleast you could use tatami shield. /Nin really is a strange sub. I see it as a kind of sub you use to avoid taking dmg while nerfing dmg at the same time; for Wars this is perfectly plausable because of all their JAs but seeing as Bsts don't get those a more DD geared sub would be best (/Drg or /War, but /Drg has some nice JTs and TP building abilities(lots of haste and jumps))
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Stockyboy wrote:When I out DD'd the Rng by 25k dmg in one party (came out the top DD) yes, I did consider that a pat on the back.
Must have been one gimpy-ass RNG, they do serious damage in new areas due to things being weak to piercing.
Murto wrote:Keep that business to crap games like WoW and Guildwars, dont bring it here
Hey, I actually prefer Guild Wars to FFXI just that it's full of morons (like FFXI) and the community isn't as good. Plus the last few missions are impossibly hard with stupid AI mercs.
Stockyboy wrote:E-peen numbers is what keeps me in the game.
Not for long, once you hit those merit parties it'll be "lolDRK {No, thanks.} NIN, WAR, MNK onry!"
Okuza wrote:That plus DRGs always wear blue.
It's purple actually and purple > all. NIN AF only looks good on Mithra, baggy parachute pants on males just look stupid but it's still adorable on tarus (as always).

DRGs that wear more than one AF piece 100% of the time past 63ish are gimp, armet and greaves just plain suck for DoT.
Stockyboy
Big Cat

Post by Stockyboy »

Sugami wrote:
Stockyboy wrote:When I out DD'd the Rng by 25k dmg in one party (came out the top DD) yes, I did consider that a pat on the back.
Must have been one gimpy-ass RNG, they do serious damage in new areas due to things being weak to piercing.
Murto wrote:Keep that business to crap games like WoW and Guildwars, dont bring it here
Hey, I actually prefer Guild Wars to FFXI just that it's full of morons (like FFXI) and the community isn't as good. Plus the last few missions are impossibly hard with stupid AI mercs.
Stockyboy wrote:E-peen numbers is what keeps me in the game.
Not for long, once you hit those merit parties it'll be "lolDRK {No, thanks.} NIN, WAR, MNK onry!"
Okuza wrote:That plus DRGs always wear blue.
It's purple actually and purple > all. NIN AF only looks good on Mithra, baggy parachute pants on males just look stupid but it's still adorable on tarus (as always).

DRGs that wear more than one AF piece 100% of the time past 63ish are gimp, armet and greaves just plain suck for DoT.

The rng was using O-bow and DS bolts, and doing light with me, I was still better (We were in Mount Z).

The good thing is most of my friends are 75 already which means {See you again!} onry people. Or maybe I'll just meripo on Rdm. <_>
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Sugami wrote:
Tivia wrote:Alot of the button mashing and time contributed to me quitting FFXI for sure, although my primary catalyst still regretfully remains the fact that Good groups were the exception and not the rule, I just could not deal with the sheer amount of people who could not play their job, hopefully things have changed as FFXI to me outside a few gripes was a spectacular game to me.
Maybe you should have played a job like MNK where all you do is engage, walk off make tea and come back to hit a button for your WS :lol:

And no it hasn't changed. In fact I bump into more noobs now than during my first run to 75.
Concerning the comment of enduring the game, I pose a question. If you are not enjoying Playing the Game, why are you paying for it?
I'm not playing it anymore, not really. 5mins every day to check on VioletSakura doesn't really count. I won't cancel my account as I don't really want to part with Sugami and all the hard work I've put into it plus I see myself getting back into it down the line somewhere.
Okuza wrote:One of the major problems with FFXI is the ratio of drudgery to fun. It's good that gil has value, but SE seems to have made it valuable by requiring folks to spend an inordinate ammount of time doing things that aren't fun in order to obtain the gil needed to do things that are fun.

It's not so bad at newbie levels; 1-60 is pretty much 90% fun. Any deliberate gil'ing you do is by choice rather than as a need in order to progress. Even 60-74 isn't so bad -- maybe 70% fun stuff (yes, I count XP'ing as fun). It's only when you're 75 and need end-game items in order to improve your character that the fun:farm ratio hits the floor and whimpers.

FFXI end-game is just awful, but by that time you have so much invested into a job that giving it up seems to be some kind of self-betrayal.
Well not quite true if your first job is any DD (that isn't BLM or SMN) you have to pay out big for those must have items or you're gimpo. Sniper's/Woodsmen/Venerer, Scorpion Harness, Haubergeon, Amemet +1 etc. Those are all Lv.34-61.

At 75 there's only god/sky, sea/limbus and dynamis stuff. Requires putting time into events rather than nonstop farming/mining/etc.
Mnk was my first choice, and my preference. However always spending 3+ hours lfg finally wore on me so I swtiched to whm/smn out of necessity. At least then I could teleport if groups were nonexistant.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

o-bow and DS bolts do not a good rng make >.>

I static'd with a good ranger for 20 odd levels after the r.attk nerf and he was always getting comments from people saying how they thought rng had been nerfed~ even from the occasional jp player.

Ranger is one of the jobs that really takes a fair amount of skill to play, in my opinion. All the expensive or rare/ex gear in the world really doesn't make up for knowing how to squeeze the most out of your job.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

In my opinion parsers have always been and always will be the biggest horsecrap there is.
I feel with all the BSTs,DRGs,PUPs and SMN anxiously awaiting parties.
I dislike burn parties, but give me an old fasion Skillchain>Magic Burst party and I'll show you what I'm made off!
Ah well, at least I'm a master soloer.

E-Peen {Do you need it?}
No parsers don't show this either.
Last edited by Shirai on Mon Nov 06, 2006 2:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Stockyboy
Big Cat

Post by Stockyboy »

Your sea shots are silly D:

My personal best guillotine (/war)

It's crappy, but I only had sole sushi, no buffs or Brd D:

EDIT: Put sky instead of sea. <_>
Murto
Kitten

Post by Murto »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:You don't need 3rd party tools to see how much I can severly outdamage Ayr too ^^ :D
I challenge that Karou, I been workin on my Dmg :P

And CC DOES count ; ; lol *kicks*, Stupid crab

StockyBoy Quoted: (blah, still cant figure out how to make it do 2 quotes ^^;)

"Personally, you'll never keep up with a War/Nin in meripo imo, so you're prolly better off going /Drg with haste/atk gear, atleast you could use tatami shield. /Nin really is a strange sub. I see it as a kind of sub you use to avoid taking dmg while nerfing dmg at the same time; for Wars this is perfectly plausable because of all their JAs but seeing as Bsts don't get those a more DD geared sub would be best (/Drg or /War, but /Drg has some nice JTs and TP building abilities(lots of haste and jumps))"

I have Tatami Shield, its crap for everything except soloing.
Why? Mages cant cure you, they get intimidated and cure fails. Last time i used it in a party, the whm could only cure me by using Curaga near me.

/drg on Bst is just saying "Please, kick me from the party and blist me"
Only 2 ways to go on Bst, /nin with axes or /war with scythe, and my scythe still needs to skill.

My dmg comes from having ridiculous amounts of Str a war will never see, coupled with a Merited CourierCarrie. So the small amount of dmg i may miss out on Rampage, i make up for heavily on DoT. Personally I'll admit my weak area is Att though, saving up for more acc gear so I can start using meat.

Rank 6 Windy
AF v1 = Complete!
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Murto wrote: (blah, still cant figure out how to make it do 2 quotes ^^;)
Cut and paste.
StockyBoy wrote: /Nin really is a strange sub. I see it as a kind of sub you use to avoid taking dmg while nerfing dmg at the same time;.
That's just about right. If you are a heavy DD like a RNG or MNK it is way too easy to become a tankish MP sponge. And then the mage starts tanking.... :roll: /NIN reduces damage output and gives you shadows. Not only do the shadows reduce the damage you take, if a shadow gets wiped by the mob, Hate is reduced. When partying with gimp tanks you must gimp yourself.

"But a NIN tank needs almost no Curing." :rofl:
Murto wrote:I have Tatami Shield, its crap for everything except soloing. Why? Mages cant cure you, they get intimidated and cure fails. Last time i used it in a party, the whm could only cure me by using Curaga near me.

WHAT!!??!! :shock: :o :shock: :o
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Murto
Kitten

Post by Murto »

Lol, it does, I'll screencap it sometime and show you :P
Comedy gold XD

Rank 6 Windy
AF v1 = Complete!
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Stockyboy wrote:/Nin really is a strange sub. I see it as a kind of sub you use to avoid taking dmg while nerfing dmg at the same time; for Wars this is perfectly plausable because of all their JAs but seeing as Bsts don't get those a more DD geared sub would be best (/Drg or /War, but /Drg has some nice JTs and TP building abilities(lots of haste and jumps))
This is kind of funny. Sub/nin has DWII, which is 15% weapon haste (~+15% to DPS) for any dual-weild combination plus gives an extra hit to every WS (20% if you have Suppanomimi). Sub/war has DA, which is +10% to DPS and +10% to TP. Sub/war has a few other JA/JT that up DPS by maybe another 2~5% overall, but really the DPS difference between sub/nin and sub/war is mostly nonexistent for a 1H weapon user. Sub/nin doesn't nerf DPS, it is a significant increase that also includes at least 6 hits of invulnerability.

It's only when you're not using 2x1H weapons that sub/nin has no DPS gain for you.
Murto wrote:I have Tatami Shield, its crap for everything except soloing. Why? Mages cant cure you, they get intimidated and cure fails. Last time i used it in a party, the whm could only cure me by using Curaga near me.
Are you sure it was a whm and not a rdm? This problem is typically caused by RDM wearing Crimson gear, which causes the RDM to count as a Wyrm and suffer from Dragon-killer effects. The shield will still intimidate regular players, but it should only be at ~1% activation for that unless you have incredibly high CHR.
Murto
Kitten

Post by Murto »

Yea, it happens with Rdms wearing crimsons most often, but its worked on Whms a couple of times. Well, at least enough to piss them off ; ;

Maybe I just lucked out and had some really funky whm? o.o

And umm, yea, my Chr woulda played a factor. Combined with my AF pants ^^, coulda been wearing Tamers ring at the time too. Meh either way twas a long time ago now.

Rank 6 Windy
AF v1 = Complete!
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Okuza wrote: ...Sub/nin has DWII, which is 15% weapon haste (~+15% to DPS) for any dual-weild combination plus gives an extra hit to every WS (20% if you have Suppanomimi). Sub/war has DA, which is +10% to DPS and +10% to TP....but really the DPS difference between sub/nin and sub/war is mostly nonexistent for a 1H weapon user. Sub/nin doesn't nerf DPS, it is a significant increase that also includes at least 6 hits of invulnerability.

It's only when you're not using 2x1H weapons that sub/nin has no DPS gain for you.
Please note the examples I used. RNG and MNK. Both are forced to /NIN way before DWII to.... well avoid stripping hate off NIN tanks by,.... there is just no other way to say it, reducing their damage output.

Now tell me, just who would use one handed weapons while NOT /NIN other than THFs, RDMs, and PLDs?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Corsair :twisted:
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Stockyboy
Big Cat

Post by Stockyboy »

Okuza wrote:
Stockyboy wrote:/Nin really is a strange sub. I see it as a kind of sub you use to avoid taking dmg while nerfing dmg at the same time; for Wars this is perfectly plausable because of all their JAs but seeing as Bsts don't get those a more DD geared sub would be best (/Drg or /War, but /Drg has some nice JTs and TP building abilities(lots of haste and jumps))
This is kind of funny. Sub/nin has DWII, which is 15% weapon haste (~+15% to DPS) for any dual-weild combination plus gives an extra hit to every WS (20% if you have Suppanomimi). Sub/war has DA, which is +10% to DPS and +10% to TP. Sub/war has a few other JA/JT that up DPS by maybe another 2~5% overall, but really the DPS difference between sub/nin and sub/war is mostly nonexistent for a 1H weapon user. Sub/nin doesn't nerf DPS, it is a significant increase that also includes at least 6 hits of invulnerability.

Are you sure it was a whm and not a rdm? This problem is typically caused by RDM wearing Crimson gear, which causes the RDM to count as a Wyrm and suffer from Dragon-killer effects. The shield will still intimidate regular players, but it should only be at ~1% activation for that unless you have incredibly high CHR.

War pretty much are sub Nin onry in exp, even though there are more viable subs, just for the fact Nin reduces their dmg compared to those other jobs (See: /Drg with haste gear)
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

CC Does NOT count :O

If you want a Pet DMG vs Pet DMG Battle lemme lvl Pup ^^

Axe dual wielding battle onry.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Stockyboy
Big Cat

Post by Stockyboy »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:CC Does NOT count :O

If you want a Pet DMG vs Pet DMG Battle lemme lvl Pup ^^

Axe dual wielding battle onry.

It should count, it's part of the Bsts dmg. Don't be like those sore loosers in Ballista and go on about how it's unfair.

(Somebody did this to me, and said if I didn't use shadows I wouldn't have won (I was Nin at the time, lol))
Murto
Kitten

Post by Murto »

If i wasnt allowed to use CC in a party I'd probably find a way to Mpk myself XD

Rank 6 Windy
AF v1 = Complete!
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

What I want to know is when SE is going to make it so F8 doesn't target pets. It's not as if you can do anything to a targeted player pet. Shift the damn things off the NPC list and over to the player list.

Better still, make it so I can slay it if it gets in my way. <mutters about fat blue geckos squating on the trail-markings>
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Murto wrote:StockyBoy Quoted: (blah, still cant figure out how to make it do 2 quotes ^^;)
Type it in manually. <quote="name"></quote> 'cept with square brackets.
/drg on Bst is just saying "Please, kick me from the party and blist me"
Only 2 ways to go on Bst, /nin with axes or /war with scythe, and my scythe still needs to skill.
(S)he's right. Really only WAR can get away with /DRG since they can't sub WAR but even then all those moron sheep poser WARs will still call you gimp :roll:

/WAR and Axe not work? It's a better skill than Scythe isn't it? And you still get Attack Bonus, Berserk, Warcry and Double Attack none of which /NIN offers.
Stockyboy
Big Cat

Post by Stockyboy »

Sugami wrote:(S)he's right. Really only WAR can get away with /DRG since they can't sub WAR but even then all those moron sheep poser WARs will still call you gimp :roll:

/WAR and Axe not work? It's a better skill than Scythe isn't it? And you still get Attack Bonus, Berserk, Warcry and Double Attack none of which /NIN offers.

Ya see, this is where I suggested the use of Tatimi shield, because as far as I've seen if you're gonna use 1h and a shield, it's the best thing to use, suppose there's viking shield or Picarons shield though.

Btw, I've seen Drk sub Drg too ^^ Good results lol I remember seeing some Souleater jumps for 400ish
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

My highets was 700something. Heard of a DRK/DRG doing 1K+ but he must have had Brutal Earring and had Double Attack trigger.

Must be a fun sub but doesn't stand-up to Double Attack from /WAR (both have Attack Bonus).
Stockyboy
Big Cat

Post by Stockyboy »

I dunno, I really like the results I've seen from Drk/Drg, it's more a TP spam sub cause of the two jumps, with a brutal earring I reckon it's better than /War.

Never done it myself tho, Drg still to be leveled to 37 (@20)