Spend it wisely.

A place to talk about... anything!
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Spend it wisely.

Post by Pheonixhawk »

So I after weeks of farming, I made 2.4 mil gil. I want to use it all on raising my crafting skills since they are all at lvl 0 atm. Im more than sure I want to do goldsmithing. Any tips on the best way to PL my crafting skills?
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Re: Spend it wisely.

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Pheonixhawk wrote: Any tips on the best way to PL my crafting skills?
:?: Don't?

Seriously if you want to PL a craft, check the guides listed here:

http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/forum.html?f ... =51;page=1

But I have made a profit all the way to Goldsmith 51, it can be done, just takes time and AH slots.

Best tip I can give, Brass ingots from the Zinc + 3 copper recipie is more expensive than desynthing Brass rings or Spathas. Buy the Rings at the Jewelery shop in Bastok, not the Guild. Spathas from the weapon shop there. Rings HQ to two ingots, Spathas to a Silver Ingot. You can skill up on Desynths, but it is way slower than on synths.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sadira
Tomcat

Post by Sadira »

Tsybil wrote::?: Don't?
I'd listen to Tsybil on this one. Goldsmithing is not something you want to powerlevel. Better to take it slow and get what you can from npc's and the Guild. When the guild price is high because you and/or other people have been buying out the items then just wait until it goes back down.

Honestly, 2.4 mil isn't a whole lot when it comes to skilling a craft. Don't take that negatively, you still end up making more money in the end than you spend skilling up, but for the most part its a long term investment to decide to craft.

1. My suggestion to you, being a crafter myself and since you seem so excited about starting something, would be to step back and review each craft.

2. Go to Allakhazam (I like MysteryTour too, well organized.) and look through the recipe lists for each craft; see what is available to you and what each craft has to offer.

3. Look ahead too and try and estimate what the cost would be if you choose a craft and continued it.

4. Finally, decide what it is that you want out of crafting. Your first thought at reading this will most likely be "MONEY!!!". Seriously, take the time to think about it because if you're only in it for the money, then chances are, you won't last. I've known too many people who have tried and failed to think otherwise or even that you might be the exception.

5. If you have done all of the above and found that you want to pursue crafting for more than just money then you are off to a good start. Choose your craft wisely, don't just pick one and jump into it on a whim because you think it sounds cool.

And so, as one crafter to another potential crafter, this is my advice to you. I hope you took notes. My last bit of advice, don't blow your money leveling all of your crafts at once, that's just foolish. Pick one main one and when you get to a point where you see its time to start leveling subcrafts to complement your main craft, then start on the subs.
THF50/NIN25 [color=green]([/color]Mithra[color=red])[/color]

[color=red]Clothcraft: 82.0+2[/color] [color=green]([/color]Adept[color=red])[/color]
[color=blue]Leathercraft: 60.0[/color] [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Goldsmithing: 48.0 [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Smithing: 19.0 [color=green]([/color]Recruit[color=red])[/color]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Laff Goldsmithing gets really expensive around 50 I think?
You should go mining in Zeruhn, plenty of zinc, copper and iron there so can do both Goldsmithing and Smithing and make some money whilst you're at it.

Guides are pretty outdated now the prices have got screwed up so you'll want to check the total cost with the price of the resulting synth (if you sell it back).
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

NEVER Powerlevel a craft. Easiest way there is to end up broke with a high level craft you can't use.

My advice is to take up Fishing while you're crafting. Its cheap and a good way to supplement your income.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Shinrasin
Tomcat

Post by Shinrasin »

Keavy wrote:NEVER Powerlevel a craft. Easiest way there is to end up broke with a high level craft you can't use.

My advice is to take up Fishing while you're crafting. Its cheap and a good way to supplement your income.

Plus iif your bored you can allways fish and seek at the same time .
[img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Shinrasin/Signature/Shinrasin-Evil-Sigs.png[/img]

[img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Shinrasin/Signature/Dark-Shinrasin-2.png[/img]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote: Guides are pretty outdated now the prices have got screwed up so you'll want to check the total cost with the price of the resulting synth (if you sell it back).
Most guides are for powerleveling, they do the how to go broke as slowly as possible route. These just don't go out of date.

One I wrote a LONG time ago is outdated due to the reasons you mention. First time around Black Pearls were cheap enough that Black Earrings were a profitable synth. Not any more.

If you PL a craft, you never learn your markets. Ever seen a thread saying "I am level X in a craft, when do I start making money?" Guarenteed, that poster PLed the craft.

Crafts that can be leveled profitably:

Goldsmithing, to at least Gold Earrings/Rings.
Clothcraft, except for L 4 - 8, all the way through Rainbow Cloth (so far). Goldsmithing to the high teens HELPS.
Woodworking through L 60.
Alchmey, through L 60 at least. Smithing to 15 helps, not needed though.
Cooking through L 60, maybe a LOT higher.

Smithing, Leather, and Bone have up periods and down periods. You can overcome these down periods by farming, mining, excavating, and CAREFUL shopping.

Examples, Smithing, Steel Sheets Level Cap 36. Steel ingots can be found as cheap as 3.5K Each in Mahara occasionaly. When using these the sheets are profitable, and Scales only a small loss. No, my Smith is NOT cutting Steel Scales.

Need Lizard Skins? Desynth Kunai from the Tenshido, ~ 550 Each, Smithing LC 29. HQ is Steel Ingots.

There is a lot of synergy in leveling Smithing, Leather, and Wood together.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Im not going into Goldsmithing for the gil. Im doing it because my old char has done goldsmithing before. And its a fun craft. Im not going to outright spend all my gil on crafting. but I do plan on at least putting in a good 500K.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Best to take it slow and look for profitable crafts to level on is all we're saying.

Also, since you've got a Red Mage level 41+ you can make a mint off of Fishing. Here's what you need to do:

First, level cooking to 21. Next, farm for Shell Bugs and Earth Clusters. Then, Level up off of Insect Paste. At 21 you will get some breaks even with support on a good day, but you'll also level fast.

OK, so the craft yields a stack of paste PER SYNTH!!! Also, because you farmed your own crystals and bugs (Buy the other ingredients from vendors) you're making the stuff for ~15 gil a stack!

Take your paste and fish with it. Moat Carps are your target so make sure you look for a fishing guide on where to find them. Now, in no time you'll be full of Carp that you can sell on the AH or you can use them to get your Lu Shang's Fishing rod. Either way you'll make money (More off selling the Carp on the AH short-term, but Lu Shang's can only be broken by a Monster Fish and they sell for a few million) so either way you can make money.

Not only is fishing a great way to make money its relaxing and fun!
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I went broke fishing, all i got was .7 skillups :x
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Katina
Big Cat

Post by Katina »

I chose to do bonecraft just for personal liking Pheonixhawk.
I wont lie I CANT STAND FARMING. I save up money and stock up on materials on my mules and look on this site's clock for the next new moon.

Once the new moon comes I powerlevel like mad. Idk how well it works for you. For me I didnt lose alot of money at all doing bonecraft. However what I do is monoplize the material by buying them all out in all cities as i stock up for the new moon. Thus it gives me full control of price, WHICH I DO NOT ABUSE IN ANY WAY SO U DONT THINK I'M A JERK. Although ppl who need the item i craft become greedy amongst themselves as they try and buy the item I make or the materials I buy up.

63-68 for bonecrafters is bone patas which is a goldsmithing skill up item. Because I held control over materials the price went up from 7k to 20k just because of the goldsmithers fighting amongst themselves.

Powerleveling is all how u do u. My ideal of thought is use the money and save myself time I cant get back and get better items to choose to make.
It's all bout when u do it on moons for me and what you lose/gain from powerleveling

*Also sry for long post I typing a long post*
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v324/SilverBlade830/katfinal.jpg[/img]
Many things go unsaid every day with those close to us. But the feelings are always there and true.

75whm//75blm//75war ZM/CoP: O
90+3 bonecraft 60 leathercraft/ alchemy
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

{/comfort} Ka-chan

500K won't get you very far in Goldsmithing, maybe 20 levels if you're lucky :P

Before I stopped doing Leathercraft and Clothcraft the cheapest synths were still a loss, especially since skillups were slow :(

Also farming materials is not more profitable 'cause there's no doubt a way that brings in more income that you can use to buy materials. Like farming silks may bring in 50K worth of silk in 2hrs but if I were to mine I'd get 200K in 2hrs. Buy the silk and I've got an extra 150K spare for my troubles.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Maybe I shouldn't even bother with crafting. Im not trying to craft for gil (After all Goldsmithing isnt a very profitable craft) I just wanted to craft to pass time. Im getting 0 invites unless I wake up at 5 am in the morning. (Usually I have to go out and PT during that time) So id figure why not raise my crafting skill. I cant stand farming because for some odd reason, it takes hours to actually farm enough materiel for 2 - 3 synths. Unless of course I lvl thf, but Im trying to take a break from that :(
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

If you are mostly crafting to pass time and because you like it, then the slow and profitable way is best.

Unless you are talking about hours at a strech, then only PLing can get rid of your products fast enough.

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Spend it wisely.

Post by xaresity »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт