Nintendo Wii (Wee~)

A place to talk about... anything!
Sugami
Anime cat

Nintendo Wii (Wee~)

Post by Sugami »

To all you Nintendo fans... just... wtf? :lol:
This just kinda proves how much they're going down hill, don't you think? (handhelds aside 'cause they've always rocked)

Can you image asked for a "wee" at your local game store? :lol: I don't see why they didn't stick with Revolution, that name sounded okay.

I guess Wii (うぃい) is innocent enough to the Japanese but they really should have thought this through :lol:
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I will call it the Revolution. I don't care how confused the people at EB Games and on internet forums get.

REVOLUTION is a name that fits it perfectly.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Stockyboy
Big Cat

Post by Stockyboy »

I can just see this happening now...

Dude1: HAY GUYZ COME PLAY WITH MY WII LAWL
Dude2:....You're sick, i'm not playing with your wee.
Dude1: You got the wrong end of the stick i swears ; ;
Dude2: Sure.

EDIT: Spelt just as jst >_>
Mr. T pitties the fool, Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off, I /poke the fool.
Haubegeon: O
Hauberk: O
Drk75/War43/Nin60/Blm37/Thf37(DONE YES!)/Whm32/Drg22/Smn16/Rdm66/Bst18/Mnk10/Brd33/Pld11
All others not unlocked or not leveled ^^^
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c302/stockyboy/USSRallyourcookie-1.png[/img]
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

20/20 hindsight...

Now they're looking at US reactions and learning it may have not been such a great move.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Dumbest name for a console Ever.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

*sigh* if you read the interview they explain why they call it Wii and you would ask for a Nintendo Wii when you guy one FYI.........

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

watch the flash opening and then read the introduction, that is why they call it "Wii" after reading why they called it Wii I like the name, and think its really diffrent.
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

I won't call it Wii. It's revolution!
Stockyboy
Big Cat

Post by Stockyboy »

Nintendo wii? {I don't understand} Nintendo revolution {Yes przkthx}
Mr. T pitties the fool, Chuck Norris rips the fool's head off, I /poke the fool.
Haubegeon: O
Hauberk: O
Drk75/War43/Nin60/Blm37/Thf37(DONE YES!)/Whm32/Drg22/Smn16/Rdm66/Bst18/Mnk10/Brd33/Pld11
All others not unlocked or not leveled ^^^
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c302/stockyboy/USSRallyourcookie-1.png[/img]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Laff :lol: something about the "ii" looking like something, I can't remember but doesn't change the fact that it sounds like "wee~" :lol:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/comic says it all :P
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

I dont care if it sounded like "poop" to you because it is Wii with 2 "i" in it and stands for everyone, Nintendo is not going "downhill" just because they want to make a fun system with a fun name, go buy your X-Xbox 360 and your Ps3 at $399 and $499, and I will get my Wii and have fun with it at a mear $200-$250, and I bet I will be haveing a hell of alot more fun with nintendo's games. Yeah Nintendo mostly gears twards kilds with alot of their games, but just because they are geared twards kids, does not mean they are not fun as hell.

(edited because I was a bit mad lol)
Last edited by Kailea on Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Calm down, or I will sic my attack flamingo's on you.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

sorry....I get alittle touchy when it comes to things like this.... I hate it when others sit there and talke bad about something they even cant try out yet, yeah I know I did the same thing with the PS3 coment, but the price -.- 499 is outrageouse for the Ps3 and the same for the X-box360, plus I have played it and dont like it at all, the games are of poor quality. The way I see it Nintendo is the only company going in the right direction with their system, and is one of the reasons htye have lasted so long in the gameing world.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Kailea wrote:*sigh* if you read the interview they explain why they call it Wii and you would ask for a Nintendo Wii when you guy one FYI.........

http://revolution.nintendo.com/

watch the flash opening and then read the introduction, that is why they call it "Wii" after reading why they called it Wii I like the name, and think its really diffrent.
Read it and still think it is the single stupidest name in the history of console's.

As a FYI, That will not stop me from buying it. The simple fact I will be able to download and play every Game ever produced by them was cause enough to buy the system. The Nintendo will be my nostalgia console since I grew up in the age when Nintendo and Sega were first coming to market. I owned a Commodore, Trash 80 ( for those who are old enough to know that reference ) Atari was my childhood staple.

PS3 however will simply be my True modern gaming system, that is based simply on the fact that with possible exception to The Legend of Zelda Twilight princess coming in Nov, the vast majority of Nintendo's games the past few years have honestly been horrid compared to their old standards. I truly have nearly nothing nice to say about Modern Nintendo, their games have gone downhill and the fact they are at the bottom of the heap shows it all too clearly. Nintendo always catered to the younger audience, that was fine. However the older games can still be played by adults without them feeling demeaning. I cannot say that about their current lineup, they feel like a bad nightmare out of an episode of Barney. Nintendo used to have the touch of appealing to the younger generation while producing games that were fun and did not feel like something designed for a 6 month old, they have regretfully lost that touch.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I'm with Stockyboy on this. Wii is a stupid name. Call it Wii in Japan if you want to, but keep its name Revolution in the U.S. and Europe.

Nintendo : U.S. and Europe :: Microsoft : Japan and this proves it. I hate to say it, but the Revolution will end up where the GameCube is.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Wrong -.- Nintendo in no way is going down hill, I cant see where you get this from, just because you dont like the games does not mean that they all suck and nintendo is loosing their edge, I love all the systems, but I would rather own a system that wont have problems........ Sony and Microsoft have yet to make a system that did not have problems with the first batch of systems -.- Nintendo contiunes to make good yet cheap systems and handhelds that can hold up physicaly. I have nothign against Sony or Microsoft.... but make a system that does not break on me in the first 6 months and I will say diffrent...........
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I love Nintendo just as much as you I'm just wondering who in their right mind thought this was a good idea.

As for Sony I hate them with a passion.

Microsoft...Why the hell did you flood Japan with 360's while in North America people were paying $2K for one on eBay.

All I'm saying is I don't understand their thought process. Revolution was a cool name. "Oh, yeah. That game looks awesome. I think i'll get the Revolution version" sounds better than "I'm getting the Wii version."

I find myself wondering if Nintendo will go the way of Sega.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

heh Nintendo will never go the way of Sega, and yeah I did like "revolution" but they explained why it was codenamed that and why they gave it a real name after to long, it makes since, but in a way also makes you go "huh?" :p but no matter what it is called, it will still be the great system that they are releaseing.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

No matter what I will stick behind my opinion that Wii is a stupid name and I will call it the Revolution.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Kailea wrote:Wrong -.- Nintendo in no way is going down hill, I cant see where you get this from, just because you dont like the games does not mean that they all suck and nintendo is loosing their edge, I love all the systems, but I would rather own a system that wont have problems........ Sony and Microsoft have yet to make a system that did not have problems with the first batch of systems -.- Nintendo contiunes to make good yet cheap systems and handhelds that can hold up physicaly. I have nothign against Sony or Microsoft.... but make a system that does not break on me in the first 6 months and I will say diffrent...........
If you do not want a system that does not have problems then you do not buy first generation of any of them. Nintendo is no better or worse then any other in this respect.

The GameCube had 4 revisions to fix problems early models had.
The Nintendo 64 had 6 revisions, and i cannot remember how many the Nes had.
Playstation and xbox were no different, nor will the 360 and PS3 or for that matter future consoles be any different. This is the simple nature of Electronic devices and no matter what there will always be problems that crop up post first batch production.

Do not get me wrong, I feel nintendo still brings a good product to the shelf, but they are in no way shape or form as competative as they were 10 years ago. To believe anything else is nothing more then blind fanboism. I grew up on Nintendo and have owned every single one of their systems and have hundreds of games to show for it. I am a big supporter of Nintendo as so long as they continue to produce even a handful of games I like, I will continue to purchase their product. But i am likewise not blind to the fact that the company has fallen off sharply from where they were in the quality of product they have been producing. Do I think they will go the way of Sega? No I doubt that as they have far more going for them then simply consoles. But unless Nintendo makes a serious effort at attempting to revitalize their image, they will never enjoy the dominance they once held again.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

NES had horrible dust and corrosion problems that were resolved with the top-loader NES that sells for a pretty penny on eBay.

As for Nintendo they seem to be resistant to change. Like the GameCube, everyone went over to DVD-ROM so they go to these tiny little DVD-ROM's. WHAT THE F*CK?

They're a Japanese company stuck in their ways competing against another Japanese company that knows how to compete and succeed in both markets and an American company hell-bent on cracking the market that may actually succeed within this development cycle and a warchest large enough to ride out the toughest storm.

Nintendo needs to change course and fast if they hope to survive.

http://www.1up.com/do/feature?cId=3150107&did=1 <-- Interesting read.
Xenoletum
Kitten

Post by Xenoletum »

It's just Wii..

As far as stupid names go, imagine your a regular person, and you look into picking up a game system. Your choices are the Xbox 360, Playstation 3 and Wii, wouldn't you think they ALL look stupid?

Also, the system names have ALWAYS sounded stupid, Gamecube? Come on people.

Also... Turbografx-16?

If a systems purchase depended on a name so much as to what it offered, then the Playstation wouldn't have sold as much as it did. Why? It sounds like it's some sort of sex toy.

Weird names aren't uncommon in technology. How many people here went WTF when Apple announced the iPod? "iPod, wtf is an iPod? is that some new car or something?"

Get used to the name, I have done so already, and while I will still go around and make jokes about it, it's not a reason to NOT buy the console.
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

Weird names aren't uncommon in technology, HOWEVER, at this point in time, people are used to certain items having certain kinds of names.

Marketing and advertising are very powerful things, like it or not. If the marketing stinks, people are less likely to buy it. Go take a look at the Sega Saturn, or just Sega's various marketing campaigns in general and get an idea of that.
Xenoletum
Kitten

Post by Xenoletum »

JediKitsune wrote:Weird names aren't uncommon in technology, HOWEVER, at this point in time, people are used to certain items having certain kinds of names.

Marketing and advertising are very powerful things, like it or not. If the marketing stinks, people are less likely to buy it. Go take a look at the Sega Saturn, or just Sega's various marketing campaigns in general and get an idea of that.
Yes, and now take a look at the Wii video once again. Nintendo has that apple-esque looking type of advertisement, with the Apple-ish looking console. It's what gets people into the business. I mean, you see advertisements for other MP3 players on TV, but what ones seem to stand out the most? The iPod ones.

That's becuase they have a way of being simple, but memorable, whether it be through the music they use, or the style they make them in. Either way, Nintendo is following suit with the Wii, and it will pay off in the end. The casual player will pick up the Wii for two reasons, it's simple to interface with, and it's the cheapest option. Hardcore gamers will pick one up for the library of games that it already has.

Come on.. who doesn't want to play Final Fantasy on the NES again?
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

but nintendo never did have a complet system recall and also all the little problems they fixed with later versions where not sever enuff to have it realled (PS2 dvd issue and 360 overheating problem, also orginal x-box power and HDD problems)
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

I had one of the first N64s in the US and it STILL works great. My brother got one of the first PS2s (legitimatly for both, mind you) and it works like new. Sometimes you hit, sometimes you miss. As for our GameCube, also a first revision but works like a charm.
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

Kailea wrote:but nintendo never did have a complet system recall and also all the little problems they fixed with later versions where not sever enuff to have it realled (PS2 dvd issue and 360 overheating problem, also orginal x-box power and HDD problems)
Nintendo might have done a recall on the Virtual Boy as it caused damage to the cornea or something due to the whole... everything being redness...

If it didn't do that, I think it gave you a headache or something at least...
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

JediKitsune wrote:
Kailea wrote:but nintendo never did have a complet system recall and also all the little problems they fixed with later versions where not sever enuff to have it realled (PS2 dvd issue and 360 overheating problem, also orginal x-box power and HDD problems)
Nintendo might have done a recall on the Virtual Boy as it caused damage to the cornea or something due to the whole... everything being redness...

If it didn't do that, I think it gave you a headache or something at least...

no lol there was no recall for the V-boy... but that thing was a mistake anyway lol and we must never talk about it :p
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Laff :lol: V-boy yes another great idea by Nintendo :lol:

As of the stupid names, the previous consoles all had "meaningful" names. GameCube because it is a cube. N64 because it's 64bit. And NES and SNES couldn't be more obvious :lol: but "Wii" ... pfft, stupid, sorry :P

You just have to look at how much preownded consoles are to see how well they're doing. Over here can get a preowned GC for £20 I think. PS2 for a bit more £20-40 and XBox for £40-80.

I'd say PS2 and XBox are quite close when it comes to units sold but GameCube is most likely lacking behind a fair bit. Gamers have grown up yet Nintendo hasn't.
Xenoletum
Kitten

Post by Xenoletum »

You people keep on saying that Nintendo is for little kids, why is that? Because the system has more games that are aimed toward children? The reason why you notice them more for the GCN then any other system is becuase the library isn't that big, most of those "Kiddy" games are also on the PS2. But does that make it kiddy? Not according to you, because it has GTA.

Oh wait... Resident Evil 4 anyone?

You give it the kiddy image as compared to the company, who is trying to extend their consoles to everyone, not just the 16 - 28 male demographic. Nintendo is still big over in Japan, look at the recent success of the DS over there. Selling more then the Xbox 360, and it's been out how long now?

The Wii will have a massive following in japan, with more original games coming out then ever. But in the states... some of those originals may be too crazy or too messed up mentally to come over here.

Stop giving Nintendo the Kiddy image, it's not them that caused it.. it's people like us who do so.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Xenoletum wrote:You people keep on saying that Nintendo is for little kids, why is that? Because the system has more games that are aimed toward children? The reason why you notice them more for the GCN then any other system is becuase the library isn't that big, most of those "Kiddy" games are also on the PS2. But does that make it kiddy? Not according to you, because it has GTA.

Oh wait... Resident Evil 4 anyone?

You give it the kiddy image as compared to the company, who is trying to extend their consoles to everyone, not just the 16 - 28 male demographic. Nintendo is still big over in Japan, look at the recent success of the DS over there. Selling more then the Xbox 360, and it's been out how long now?

The Wii will have a massive following in japan, with more original games coming out then ever. But in the states... some of those originals may be too crazy or too messed up mentally to come over here.

Stop giving Nintendo the Kiddy image, it's not them that caused it.. it's people like us who do so.
You seriously need to look at Nintendo's offerings for the past 5 years. Then look at Sony's, then look at Microsucks.

Now tell me, of the three which has the undeniable majority of games that are overly bubbly, cartoony, or just plain absurd? Which system has taken games that used to be favorites of Kids and adults alike and turned them into preadolecent crap that only a 6 year old enjoys? Now again I am blanketing here, not all their stuff has been treated like this but a very large percentage is. However if you cannot see that then, that article posted previously was accurate. The simple fact is the Vast majority of Nintendo's games are marketed to children. They have failed to keep up with the realization that their original Core audience is no longer 12, and are now on the average of 28. All you need to do to verify this is go into any video game store and look at the selection for Gamecube, and ask yourself. If I was 25 and never played this system before, are there any games I would buy for me?

The answer would be a resounding no when compared to other systems.