What ever happened to the old Valkurm *groan*

A place to talk about... anything!
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Hi all!!

I was whining about this on the shell the other night. I'm only lvl 10 and I'm starting to feel I'm useless as a WHM. Please, tell me I'm wrong!
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Kopopo wrote:Hi all!!

I was whining about this on the shell the other night. I'm only lvl 10 and I'm starting to feel I'm useless as a WHM. Please, tell me I'm wrong!
Right now you're kinda weak but as you level you'll gain new spells and gain power. Before long you'll be a healing force to be reckoned with. Monsters will tremble in fear at the awesome healing power you can conjure. You will laugh at their feeble attempts to bring down the tank.

Soon padawan you will learn the true power of the WHM!!!
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

I've taken WHM to 54 already. Even then I felt useless.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Kopopo wrote:I've taken WHM to 54 already. Even then I felt useless.
I never felt useless as WHM. Just unaprecaited.

Time for BLM? SMN? BLU? BRD? Melee Taru? In any event you know your fastest path to a subjob is WHM, so grit your teeth.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Actually, I'm no longer a Tarutaru.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

You might think your useless as a whm because Whm is just a support job. Not a DD. Yeah you heal your party and casts buffs and a small amount of enfeebles, but you really dont see the effects on the mob. At least thats why I didnt' (And still dont) like the whm job. In fact Ive got Blm to lvl 20, Rdm to lvl 41 and whm to lvl 1. Thats right its still lvl 1. I have full respect for all white mages but I will never be one. I enjoy doing damage, and If im not doing damage I love casting enfeebles and just watching the enemy get hammered by my party members. (And casting a good nuke or two)
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

The thing is, I actually *like* being a healer! In every game I play, except StarCraft, I am a healing class. I tend to sub a DD class like BLM, but never WAR or it's various other forms.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Let me tell you whm is all but a useless class.

It is underapreciated yes, but still I find it one of the most fun classes to play.
WHM at 54 yes the early 40's till mid 50's was a time I felt a bit useless.
I also wondered what the use was of continuing the grind.
EXP needed to level up rose to inhumane amounts (Pre-patch) and those levels had almost nothing to offer.
Party invites plummeted down, because of a simple reason.
RDMs get refresh, convert and raise and Parties tend to swap the whm for a rdm main healer and get in an extra DD.
Until 56 where whm gets raise II.

All I can say is if you really like the job, just grind through those levels.
Around level 60 you get more invites for the funner stuff like higher rank missions and zilart missions.
You'll feel less useless when you reach level 56 and up.
But since you restarted you'll probably have a long way to go, but I'll gladly advise you on your journy if you have any questions.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

Useless? Hardly.

You know you're helping those chains along when you're keeping your party members up and fighting. Though it is nice to only cure a little...

Several times in the jungles, I've actually kept my parties alive with Regens and Cure Is. Then again, those were NIN parties and everyone else was doing their best... Even so, it made me feel smart.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Maybe he's feeling down 'cause of all the PLs making his job a bit pointless at the moment? ^^;
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Kopopo wrote:Actually, I'm no longer a Tarutaru.
OK, I'll bite, Mithra this time?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:Maybe he's feeling down 'cause of all the PLs making his job a bit pointless at the moment? ^^;
I hated that when I was leveling my WHM in the Dunes. After a while my Healing skill fell WAY behind and my Cure's were suffering as a result so I just spammed Cure I each fight. Hate was all over the place but before long my skill was where it should be.

Needless to say, those PLer's HATED me :P
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Sugami nailed it square on the head.

Tsybil, yesh.
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

Because of PLs, my Divine skill is capped and my Healing skill has always lagged behind.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Only time I really get to lvl my healing skills is when I have to main heal in the party. My divine magic is still at lvl 0 tho :P
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Even soloing my healing is lagging.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Id try to lvl up healing but I cant even log on to play :x
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

If the PL is your big beef try and talk to him/her about it.

What I did in early whm levels was set an agreement with the PL that he/she would only watch the tank and I would watch the rest of the party.
Or I would do the healing and the PL would only be healing if stuff went wrong.
I would never allow a PL to tank, Nins with Gimp evasion skill, or Paladins with uber low shield skill and parrying skill by the time you reach Garlaige citadel (where PLs usually end) is horrible.

Tho I've had people asking me to PL them mid 40's early 50's -.-
And no, I don't PL not so much because I am against it which I am but it's also boring as hell.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

My healing skill is way gimp but I don't care 'cause I'm not a healer :P
Divine Magic skill, hmm... RDM get 0 Divine Magic spells native to their job, guess that's for subbing WHM but with such a low skill level and pretty damn useless spells anyways just why bother?
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:My healing skill is way gimp but I don't care 'cause I'm not a healer :P
Divine Magic skill, hmm... RDM get 0 Divine Magic spells native to their job, guess that's for subbing WHM but with such a low skill level and pretty damn useless spells anyways just why bother?
/WHM and Banish things. It will rise.

Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

PLD74, my Divine stays capped and I think my healing is about to hit 200, makes for some fun....now if I could get my enhancing magic to start going up a bit quicker...it's at like 119. XD
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Kintrra wrote:PLD74, my Divine stays capped and I think my healing is about to hit 200, makes for some fun....now if I could get my enhancing magic to start going up a bit quicker...it's at like 119. XD
Wait till the 20th. Go to lowbie zones. Spam Protect on all the little BSTs, CORs and PUPs soloing to 10.

Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

OMG! A alarming 8 pages :o I had no Idea this thread would get this long. Or have so many views and get over 100 replies. :lol:
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Undine
Tomcat

Post by Undine »

Ladies behold! *pulls a curtin away showing the dunes* The end is here! *all you see is Blus, Pups, and Cors, and the occisonal Tank and mage.* Told ya
Charaters: Undine- Caitsith, Shika- Alexander/Unicorn, Celsius- Cerberus

[url=http://www.nationstates.net/windurst1]Visit the ture windurst ^^![/url]

[img]http://test256.free.fr/UN%20Cards/catgirls4hn.jpg[/img]
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Make the bad go away!
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Great time to be leveling something other than PUP, COR, or BLU.

Bitneko
Tomcat

Post by Bitneko »

When I get back from the land of computer friedness, I will have no place to lvl because... Valkrum will infect Quifim. >.<
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Undine wrote:Ladies behold! *pulls a curtin away showing the dunes* The end is here! *all you see is Blus, Pups, and Cors, and the occisonal Tank and mage.* Told ya
Omg Its finally spread to the Phoenix server. NUUUUUUUUUUUUUU!!!
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Cosma
Kitten

Post by Cosma »

sounds like a good time to get my /War through Valkrum :)
Crafts Updated 3/29/06 7:30am Eastern (GMT-5)

Fishing 20.2 WoodWorking 69.0 Smithing 3.0
Goldsmithing 1.1 Clothcraft 4 LeatherCraft 0
Bonecraft 15 Alchemy 10.8 Cooking 7.8

Lu Shang's Progress: 855/10,000
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Wow, you sure did dig deep to find this thread :shock:
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD