OMG I think I will take PUP to 75.......

A place to talk about... anything!
Kailea
Mad Cat

OMG I think I will take PUP to 75.......

Post by Kailea »

*taken off shirtninja who took it off KI*

Puppeteer would be similar to Summoner and Beastmaster, in that the player would perform actions with a pet. Using different puppets, the player is able to fill different roles in the party.

Puppet HP is directly based on the puppeteer's HP. If the puppet is damaged, so is the puppeteer, and vice versa.

Techniques and abilities of the pupper cost MP, and their strength is based on MND.

A puppeteer is defenseless without his puppet, and therefore does not equip weapons. Instead, the puppet itself is equipped in the weapon slot. Each puppet has its own strengths and weaknesses.

Puppets attack and perform techniques by using different weapons. The puppeteer equips the weapons in his ammo slot.

Types of Puppets

Dragon Puppet
Slow but powerful attacker
Weapons: Needle, Launcher, Lance

Moogle Puppet
Supports the party with protective and healing spells
Weapons: Launcher

Shadow Puppet
Weak puppet with high defense and a powerful counterattack
Weapons: Needle, Lance

Weapon Types

Needle
Puppet weapon used to disable foes

Lance
Large weapon used to take down enemies

Launcher
Using the spirit bond between the puppeteer and puppet, this weapon uses energy to attack.

Abilities and Spells

2 Hour - Marionette's Dance
Duration: 2:30
Description: All puppet abilites and techniques no longer cost MP. Cooldown timers are reduced. Puppet's HP is no longer tied to puppeteers's HP, and can continue functioning after losing all HP. If all of the puppet's HP is lost when the 2hour duration ends, puppet is unequipped.

Animate Puppet
Level 1
10:00 Recast
Duration: Until puppet is unequipped or defeated in battle
Description: This ability gives the puppet the ability to attack enemies and perform actions. The effect cannot be disabled unless the puppet is unequipped or defeated.

Puppet Abilities

Dragon
*Note - All Dragon abilities stack

Rage
Level 20
5:00 Recast
Duration: 2:00
Description: Adds "Berserk" Effect to Puppet

Bloodlust
Level 50
Duration: 30 sec
Description: Adds "Berserk" Effect to all Party Members in range

Wheel of Flames
Level 70
Duration: 1:00
Description: Adds Attack and Accuracy Bonuses to all Party Members in range

Moogle
*Note - Moogle Abilities overwrite eachother and do not stack, abilities marked with "*" grow more powerful as levels increase

Water Dance
2:00 Recast
Description: Adds "Regen" Effect to all Party Members in range (weak - 1hp/3sec)

Wind Dance
Level 20
Description: Adds "Refresh" Effect to all Party Members in range
(weak - 1mp/3sec)

Aqua Mambo
Level 25
Description: Adds "Regen" Effect to all Party Members in range
(stronger than Water Dance - 2hp/3sec)

Unknown Dance*
Level 30
1:00 Recast
Description: Drains HP from Enemy

Earth Dance*
Level 30
Duration: 5:00
Description: Increases Defense of all Party Members in range

Flame Dance*
Level 32
Description: Increases Attack of all Party Members in range

Lightning Dance*
Level 40
Description: Increases Accuracy of all Party Members in range

Exotic Dance*
Level 40
1:00 Recast
Description: Drains MP from an Enemy

Bubble Tango
Level 45
Description: Adds "Regen" Effect to all Party Members in range (stronger than Aqua Mambo - 3hp/3sec)

Breeze Mambo
Level 55
(stronger than Wind Dance - 2mp/3sec)

Leaf Mambo*
Level 60
Description: Increases Defense and Evasion for all Party Members in range

Blitz Mambo*
Level 65
Description: Increases Attack and Accuracy for all Party Members in range

Soul Dance*
Level 70
Description: Puppet converts up to 300 HP to TP. Amount converted is based on MND, puppeteer skill, amount of remaining HP,level, and equipment.

Hypnotic Dance
Level 75
Duration: Based on Puppeteer Skill Level
Description: Enemy briefly becomes puppet's puppet and will perform random actions on itself or other enemies

Shadow

Dash
Level 5
45 sec Recast
Description: Similar to provoke, but does damage and gives less hate

Rush
Level 15
Description: Similar to provoke, but does damage, gives hate, and has a small chance of stunning an opponent

Blank Eyes
Level 30
Description: Chance of counterattack increased

Darkness Veil
Level 35
Description: Increased Accuracy for Puppet

Glare
Level 45
Description: Temporarily blinds target and creates a small amount of hate

Crush
Level 55
Description: Damages and slows target, along with creating a small amount of hate

Anger Siphon
Level 60
4:00 Recast
Description: Transfers hate from puppeteer to puppet

Aura of Destruction
Level 75
Duration: 3:00
Description: Raises enmity of puppet's actions

Weapon Abilities
Weapon skills used by puppets. Like normal weapon skills, they can only be used with 100% TP or greater. All weapon skills are stronger when used with more TP.

Needle

Poison Needle
Level 5
Description: Quick attack that poisons an enemy

Gouge
Level 10
Description: Quick attack that blinds an enemy

Shadowstrike
Level 20
Description: Quick attack that binds an enemy

Fire Stab
Level 25
Description: Quick attack that lowers an enemy's INT

Stone Stab
Level 25
Description: Quick attack that lowers an enemy's DEX

Lightning Stab
Level 25
Description: Quick attack that lowers an enemy's MND

Wind Stab
Level 25
Description: Quick attack that lowers an enemy's VIT

Ice Stab
Level 25
Description: Quick attack that lowers an enemy's AGI

Water Stab
Level 25
Description: Quick attack that lowers an enemy's STR
Venom Needle
Level 35
Description: Quick attack that severely poisons an enemy

Needle Shot
Level 40
Description: Ranged attack that lowers an enemy's DEF

Paralysis Spray
Level 45
Description: Inflicts a powerful paralysis effect on an enemy

Plague Needle
Level 55
Description: Quick attack that injects a deadly poison into an enemy

Render
Level 60
Description: 5-hit attack that inflicts random status effects

Pinpoint
Level 65
Description: Critical hit that ignores defense

Countdown
Level 70
Description: Puppet slowly drains up to 30% HP (based on TP) from puppeteer. Puppet then performs a powerful attack. Damage dealt is based on amount of HP drained.

Lance

Pierce
Level 10
Description: Quick stabbing attack.

Impale
Level 20
Description: Quick stabbing attack. More powerful than Pierce.

Lancet
Level 30
Description: HP/MP drained from enemy. Small chance of draining a random stat.

Sudden Stab
Level 50
Description: Attack that ignores defense.

Drill
Level 55

Raid
Level 65
Description: 4-hit attack. Small amount of damage is converted to MP and transferred to puppeteer.

Omega Drive
Level 70
Description: Powerful attack that slows and gravities an enemy.

Launcher
*Note - Launcher weapon is a bit different than the other weapons. When engaged with an enemy, the puppeteer's MP is slowly drained. Techniques performed with the launcher also take MP along with TP. The Launcher also counts as a ranged weapon.

Lightning Ball
Level 5
Description: Explosive attack on an enemy.

Cannon
Level 15
Description: Explosive attack on an enemy, with a small chance of a critical hit.

Flamethrower
Level 20
Description: Flaming attack.

Rifle Shot
Level 30
Description: High damage but inaccurate attack.

Laser
Level 40
Description: Attack that lowers defense.

Railgun
Level 50

Gauss Rifle
Level 65
Description: Powerful but inaccurate attack that ignores defense.

Quasar
Level 70
Description: High damage explosive attack.
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Wow...there are so many jobs that a PUP can replace in a party, depending on level and the Puppet they use. Ohh, I am so leveling this, too!!!

I may go Moogle at first for the Bard-like abilities.

I can see WHM or RDM being its sub but there are so many possibilities.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

I'd like to know where this info is from,

According to the official webpage of ToUA Puppetmaster is a H2H class.
http://www.playonline.com/ff11us/ahturhgan/index.html

I'd like to see an official explaination from SE first before believing something just posted on KI.

(No offence to the boards but atm all I can do is call it speculation.)

Only real thing I can quote is what the link above sais.

These wandering performers entertain crowds and confound their enemies with a customizable puppet known as an "automaton." Puppetmasters can also fall back on hand-to-hand fighting skills that utilize the flexible movements of their art.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Next Thursday we'll all know for sure (Well, after we unlock them that is.)
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

this info came from that Japanese magazine that starts with an F...oh heck what is it -.- but is is all true if it came from that mag
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Yeah not sure how much I will believe that knowning that they've got the weapon wrong since as stated above SE have said they use Hand-To-Hand weapons.
Another DD class with MP? I hope not and again I don't think I believe it.

Can imagine getting a party invite on my RDM and seeing the member list: WHM, BLM, BLU, PLD, DRK ... Refresh x6? {Thanks for the offer but I'll have to pass.}
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

mmm yeah I am starting to think this was someones wishful thinking.....but I liked the idea anyway :p
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

You should read the summoner or paladin forums about the job updates. :)
It's full of speculations and people stating they know it for a fact while only SE really knows what the changes are gonna be.
Tho I really like some of the ideas posted, it's still nothing more then speculation and wishful thinking.

My idea of puppetmaster is more mixture of dragoon, beastmaster and summoner class.
A melee class with a pet (puppet) to aid them.
Difference with the drg/bst would be that the puppetmaster can actually controll the actions of the puppet like a summoner can with the summons.
Summoners however are not really a melee class.

But that's just my idea, like the rest I can only wait and see what the job really is.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

yeah I agree with you, but I still, based off the way the puppet is equiped I still want to take it to 75 lol, and I will take BLU and COR to 37 for subing with DRG and PUP
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Sugami wrote:Yeah not sure how much I will believe that knowning that they've got the weapon wrong since as stated above SE have said they use Hand-To-Hand weapons.
Another DD class with MP? I hope not and again I don't think I believe it.

Can imagine getting a party invite on my RDM and seeing the member list: WHM, BLM, BLU, PLD, DRK ... Refresh x6? {Thanks for the offer but I'll have to pass.}
Well, considering that PUP can Refresh along with Bard I see RDM taking a back seat in these type of parties. As a RDM I'll see you focusing on Refreshing the WHM, BLM, and maybe the PLD. Drop the BLU or DRK for a Bard or PUP and I can see it working.
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Something made me cringe horribly when I read that.

"Puppet HP is directly based on the puppeteer's HP. If the puppet is damaged, so is the puppeteer, and vice versa. "

For example. Ye Olde Monk is fighting Mr. Gobby, he drops his bomb. Whoops, 100 damage to Mr. Monk. Monk is a little hurt but ok.

Mr. Pup is fighting the same gob, bomb drops. 100 damage to the puppet and to the master? I'm a Drg going through gobbies in Bibiki Bay at the moment. A Mijin Gakure Goblin can do up to 950 to your wyvern if he drops a bomb on his feet at the start. I don't know what kind of kibble you feed your Wyvern, but the ones that suicide near the start pretty much one-shot Soleil.

What I'm trying to get across here is that if the Puppet and their Master share HP in any way once so ever, they will be just as weak to AoE mobs as Drg are. 20 minute timer or not, some times 15min@Wyvern Recast, my wyvern will be at full hp and -still- get one-shotted. Unless they give these little puppets some high elemental resists, I see a problem there.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

I agree with Shirai, until next week only SE really knows what the jobs do and even they don't really know how the jobs will end up working out in party situations.

Somethings ocurred to me while reading the listed ablilities.

If PUP is as flexible as the list suggests then they have some amazing potential for soloing and filling many different party roles, but that all depends on how the abilities work, how strong/good they are and how sturdy both the PUP and the automaton are.

How strong is the PUP when he doesn't have his toy to play with? BSTs are strong with/without their beasts most times, but I haven't met a DRG yet who doesn't hang onto their wyrven as much as possible.

If the automaton takes damage when the PUP does, then are they healed when the PUP is healed? Or is it just when /healing? How difficult will they be to repair/replace? How expensive are new automatons or parts? Can they be repaired in the field or does it have to be done in town?
How many of each type can you carry/should you carry?

For the "mage" type of automaton; according to this list (if accurate) then they get a refreshing "spell" earlier then all the jobs that have some sort of Mana replenishing ability/spell/triat.

@ 25 SMNs get Auto-Refresh, BRDs get Mage Ballad v1, BLMs get Aspir.

I'm surprised SE didn't follow the same precedent and give PUP (if they did) the spell at 25 as well.

The higher version listed is at the same level BRD gets their M. Ballad v2, but I wonder if the PUPs MP dances will stack like BRDs do? Will they stack with my Refresh as a RDM?

Another thing here that I noticed is that the list also includes both a Regen, Drain and Aspir like dance. SE has never given any mage all of those spells on the same job. RDMs, WHMs and BRDs get regen, BLMs get Drain and Aspir, BRDs and RDMs get Refresh and you can sub a job to get the spells your job doesn't get but usually not all the higher tiered ones.

If a PUP subs BLM for example they would get two versions of Drain and Aspir. And still have both Refresh dances. Even if they have a limited MP pool on par with a DRKs or PLDs (unlikely) this alone would make them very and I would even say too powerful.

Another thing, the recast timers. Two minutes is a very very very very long time in battle. SMNs are frusterated with a ONE minute base timer. If the Auto-Maton works on the same blue-print of one ability every time their timer is up then....ouchies >< Many fights are over in less then five and often less then two mins. A two min recast could be crippling for the mage version.

On that same note... My Refresh lasts for 2min 30s (which I <3) and BRDs lasts for nearly that I believe. How long will PUPs? If they can only use one every two minutes then they either have to continue to reapply it or do without if they have to use another abilities.

This is just what occurred to me about when I read the listed Mage abilities, for the other two types I'm sure there is just as much potential for head scratching and how on earth will that work or be useful?"

All of this is conjecture and theory, until Weds we won't know one way or another.

Fun to think about though^^
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

From what PoL has said, I believe they can be repaired in the field. As to the rest of your questions, we will all have to wait and see.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Keavy wrote:Well, considering that PUP can Refresh along with Bard I see RDM taking a back seat in these type of parties. As a RDM I'll see you focusing on Refreshing the WHM, BLM, and maybe the PLD. Drop the BLU or DRK for a Bard or PUP and I can see it working.
Has SE stated PUP are getting Refresh or is this assuming this information is correct? I didn't think any new job was getting Refresh :?

Evic need to be quick on Super Jump to save your cuddly companion :P unless you have to save it for shedding hate :(
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Its assuming the list is correct, theres alot of points on the Mage list that makes me go :?: and wish the wait was shorter.

Damn these 24hr days!
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Moogle
*Note - Moogle Abilities overwrite eachother and do not stack, abilities marked with "*" grow more powerful as levels increase

Wind Dance
Level 20
(weak - 1mp/3sec)

This kittens, is a group Mellon Juice. For Qufin this is HOT. But by the mid 30s there will be far more important things that a PUP can do with puppet abilities.

Somehow I think we will never hear a Level 45+ party say "No RDMs or BRDs, can we at least get a PUP?"
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

dont trust this info to much, I posted it before finding out the age of the info....from what I was told this info was posted on KI like 2-3 days after PUP was amounced at the fesivla...I think this is a wish list :p
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Sugami wrote:
Keavy wrote:Well, considering that PUP can Refresh along with Bard I see RDM taking a back seat in these type of parties. As a RDM I'll see you focusing on Refreshing the WHM, BLM, and maybe the PLD. Drop the BLU or DRK for a Bard or PUP and I can see it working.
Has SE stated PUP are getting Refresh or is this assuming this information is correct? I didn't think any new job was getting Refresh :?

Evic need to be quick on Super Jump to save your cuddly companion :P unless you have to save it for shedding hate :(
I've been helping with L3 Light Skillchains, Super Jump is -needed- for hate removal.

Berserk Wheeling Thrust, get a Sata Shark Bite slapped on to you, full SC damage....that's easily 1k-2.5k of damage slapped on to you. Damn well better have Super Jump ready. :lol:
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Ah you had a PLD tank, yes? :) That's one option, the other is to do the SC at the start then you should be able to pull hate. :)

Heh 1mp/3 seconds? Isn't a tick one second? Sounds more like OJ then Melon Juice :lol: yeah definately won't replace a BRD or RDM with that even if it is true.
Leane
Irresponsible Adventurer

Post by Leane »

Sugami wrote:Ah you had a PLD tank, yes? :) That's one option, the other is to do the SC at the start then you should be able to pull hate. :)

Heh 1mp/3 seconds? Isn't a tick one second? Sounds more like OJ then Melon Juice :lol: yeah definately won't replace a BRD or RDM with that even if it is true.
a tick is 3 seconds, mages ballad gives 1mp/3 seconds
and refresh gives 3mp/3sec
I don't know about mages ballad II though
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Leane wrote:
Sugami wrote:Ah you had a PLD tank, yes? :) That's one option, the other is to do the SC at the start then you should be able to pull hate. :)

a tick is 3 seconds, mages ballad gives 1mp/3 seconds
and refresh gives 3mp/3sec
I don't know about mages ballad II though
Mage's Ballad II is 2mp a tick and it stacks with Mage's Ballad to give a pseudo-Refresh.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Im just afraid that my job will get replaced. Iv'e been getting some flame about how the rdm job class sucks. I Just hit lvl 40 and Im ALMOST lvl 41 (Im like 2.1K away) Im just trying to get my blm the hell away from the dunes (lvl 18. Dont blame me that its gimped :P ) One particular jerk was like you rdm think your the "Gods of Ballista" and Im going to own all RDM with BLU. Stuff like that. It gets annoying you know.
Last edited by Pheonixhawk on Mon Apr 17, 2006 6:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

You can solo worms in Korokola Tunnel to get BLM to 20. If you need practice, go to the Maze. Bring Echo drops and juice, Mellon pies, +1 if you can afford them. Pound away steadly with Aero. Paralyze is good, Bio of course, Drain, I forget when Aspir comes in, even Posion. Don't try Shock or Rasp, not worth the MPs on Worms.

Many do the cast and run, I only do that to claim.

Barstone(ra) of course.

Beware of links.

Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Tsybil wrote:You can solo worms in Korokola Tunnel to get BLM to 20. If you need practice, go to the Maze. Bring Echo drops and juice, Mellon pies, +1 if you can afford them. Pound away steadly with Aero. Paralyze is good, Bio of course, Drain, I forget when Aspir comes in, even Posion. Don't try Shock or Rasp, not worth the MPs on Worms.

Many do the cast and run, I only do that to claim.

Barstone(ra) of course.

Beware of links.
Aspir is level 25 for BLM's I believe.

Use Drain and Aspir as much as you can to skill up Dark Magic. A friend of mine skilled his up by keeping a crab as a "pet" and would cast Aspir on it while skilling up staff in the Dunes and Qufim. Kill two birds with one stone.

Any mob that can cast magic will give you MP from Aspir. Keeping it capped or as close as you can will get you better results for Drain and Aspir and fewer resists and longer time on Bio.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Is dark Magic Really that important. I rarely use it...
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Pheonixhawk wrote:Is dark Magic Really that important. I rarely use it...
In a pinch when you need MP it is. Aspir is a good spell. Also, Bio reduces an opponent's attack and does DoT.

Drain is just plain fun.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I must say Aspir is the most useless spell for RDM considering Dark Magic is an E skill (I think) even with all my Magic Acc+ (<3 wise set) my Aspirs are 4-20MP average and considering it costs 10MP to cast I'm not really getting enough back to make it worth while. I did manage a 95MP Aspir yesterday without ES, God knows how that happened :shock:

Drain is still useful though, again without ES it'll get resisted 9/10 times but I often save ES and Convert together so can Drain a nice bit of HP back :)

As for that guy saying BLU will beat RDM in Ballista... HA! :lol: RDM/NIN > all, BLU won't even have enfeebling magic and a simple Silence will probably stop them from using Blue Magic.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Pheonixhawk wrote:Is dark Magic Really that important. I rarely use it...
If you rarely use it your skill will be low, your returns poor.

With my lousy E level Dark Magic skill capped I can ES Drain 150 - 220 HPs from EXP mobs. Its the topper that hits the spot after a Convert.

Farming EPs and DCs I can often get 80 - 100 HPs without ES. 21 MPs for a 160 to 200 HP swing in my favor......

As to Aspir, sure sometimes it returns only 6 MPs from EXP mobs and is kind of a waste, but sometimes it gets me 60 - 80 MPs. Got 46 from a Yagudo High Priest yesterday. As he counts as a L 75 NM I was quite pleased with that.

Leveling Dark is easy. In EXP parties you can Bio Crawlers, or use Bio at the end of the fight on any mob. If you have a Bio happy BLM who insists on overwriting your Dias just join the fun. One Drain every fight. One Aspir every fight on mobs that have MPs.

When you get to level 70 you will want your Dark skill capped, trust me on this.

ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

I honestly love Aspir and Drain. So much so that I forget I don't have the spells when I sub something else.

Like Keavy said, anything that casts will have MP but don't forget there are many none casting mobs that do as well. Crabs, beetles, big birds, cockatrices and weapons (both caster and non-caster) for example. You can still get skill ups from Aspir if you cast it on a non-mp mob, if you have the mp to waste on it which is rare in exp parties lol.

You'll get resists on exp mobs, especially caster ones if you haven't dispelled their buffs away, but they are still good spells to use if you have time/mp. Also, if you like to solo these are great, anything below the IT++ we usually exp on and the resist rate is much much lower.

Edit: As Sugnami pointed out, thank you btw, yes Sleep's resist rate is based on enfeebling. In my hurry to get this typed out and posted I forgot that although Sleep is dark based, and that dark staff and darksday helps on landing the spell its not actually considered a Dark SKILL spell. Bio, Drain, Aspir, Tractor and Stun will all skill up dark skill.

I apologize if I confused anyone, lol.
Last edited by ScarlettPheonix on Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I'm sure Sleep counts as Enfeebling Magic even if it is dark element alligned. Only spells that count as Dark Magic to a RDM are Bio, Bio II, Drain and Aspir.
And yes you can still get skillups from getting 0 from Drain and Aspir, same way you can get a skillup in Enfeebling when you Dispel nothing :lol: