Had to get a new video card... wow what a good choice (EDIT)

A place to talk about... anything!
Kailea
Mad Cat

Had to get a new video card... wow what a good choice (EDIT)

Post by Kailea »

My old card started acting up for the first time in 3 years :p started getting errors and all that, and graphics glitches, the old card came in my Alienwear when I got it and my beta of FFXI ^.- (July 2003)

Old card
GeForce FX 5900 Ultra

New card
GeForce 7800 GS CO

OMG this card is great...give me alot more options then my old card

*dances on grave of old card*
Last edited by Kailea on Fri Apr 14, 2006 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Honestly anything made in the last 5 years will work.

Just look for the best bang for the buck. Tivia posted a site that did comparison shopping for you a while back, look the thread up to see if your bosses are giving you a good deal or not.

Most specs more is better, but unless you play the latest FPS, you do not need more than 256 of video memory.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

well it is just not for FFXI :p so I tried to stay as close to my old card as posible, now even though the core speed is 20 lower then my old one, I think all the new tech in this card will make up for it if not surpass my old card, and I think it will
Camu
Big Cat

Post by Camu »

The 7800 will totally destroy the FX card in every way. If I had the money when I upgraded, I would of tried to get a 7800 myself. I went from a FX 5700 Ultra to a 6600GT and the difference is like night and day. I went from 800x600 on low detail for quake 4 to 1024x768 on high detail. I say it was a great choice.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Camu wrote:The 7800 will totally destroy the FX card in every way. If I had the money when I upgraded, I would of tried to get a 7800 myself. I went from a FX 5700 Ultra to a 6600GT and the difference is like night and day. I went from 800x600 on low detail for quake 4 to 1024x768 on high detail. I say it was a great choice.
sweet well I special ordered it...and should have it tomarrow ^.^
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I think ATI have surpassed nVidia recently, though I haven't had a new GFX card since my GeForce 5600 FX (they didn't have ATI in stock) so it's possible that nVidia have clawed their way back ^^ difference between the two probably isn't noticable but I think ATI are tiny bit cheaper and faster in general :)
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sugami wrote:I think ATI have surpassed nVidia recently, though I haven't had a new GFX card since my GeForce 5600 FX (they didn't have ATI in stock) so it's possible that nVidia have clawed their way back ^^ difference between the two probably isn't noticable but I think ATI are tiny bit cheaper and faster in general :)
ATI has indeed surpassed Nvida once again.

With a $600 card. :shock:

Currently Nvida is the bang/buck leader. This could change by this afternoon though.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kessa
Housecat

Post by Kessa »

The x1900 is the GREATEST :D :D

until the next gen card comes out :? anywayz.

The only thing I can tell you about the upgrade is that yes it will work. However your old card was AGP, your new one will be PCI-E. Make sure your motherboard and OS (if you are using a older one) can handle the transistion.
[img]http://i52.photobucket.com/albums/g11/Shinrasin/Signature/The-Master-Thief.png[/img]
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Kessa wrote:The x1900 is the GREATEST :D :D

until the next gen card comes out :? anywayz.

The only thing I can tell you about the upgrade is that yes it will work. However your old card was AGP, your new one will be PCI-E. Make sure your motherboard and OS (if you are using a older one) can handle the transistion.
acualy no it is AGP, they rereleased this card in AGP form ^.^
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

I'm currently using a 6800GT OC and it runs my stuff FAST even with all the tricks turned on. I did a tiny mod to the FFXI registry to enable higher resolutions and it still looks sweet. I can even record in FRAPS with no drop in speed.

the 7800GS is the best AGP card available.

Oh, and Alienware can bite me.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Kopopo wrote:.... I did a tiny mod to the FFXI registry to enable higher resolutions and it still looks sweet. I can even record in FRAPS with no drop in speed.
Ummmm... Details please?

Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

got to start then run and type regedit
then follow the path tree HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\PlayOnlineUS\SquareEnix\FinalFantasyXI

Right click and click on modify on the following keys
0001 and 0002 this is your overlay graphics resolution
0003 and 0004 is your background resolution

0000 is your mipmapping level (set to 1-10)
0029 is your max sounds (set to 1-99)

when entering a number make sure to click the option "Decimal" first
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

Bingo!
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Kopopo wrote: Oh, and Alienware can bite me.
yeah lol, most of my PC (except the CD drive A: drive and Power suply)

is all new stuff..........well newer then what was in the Alienware lol

SB Audigy 4
GeForce 7800GS
Nvidia N Force 3 MB
Sempron AMD 64 something something......
1.5gb ram :p

I even got rid of that oversized for cooling case they gave me -.- got a better , lighter case that cools alot better for $70 :p
Kopopo
Teh Cutaru

Post by Kopopo »

My rig...

AMD Athlon 64 3400+ @ 2.4Ghz
1.5GB PC3200 DDR RAM
80, 120, 160GB HDDs
SoundBlaster Live 24 audio card
GigaByte K8NS Pro motherboard
BFG 6800GT overclocked GPU w/256MB VRAM
Windows XP Pro SP2
5Mbps cable Internet
Aspire X-Navigator full tower case
NEC/Mitsubishi 930SB 19" CRT monitor.

http://www.one-roomstudios.com/home/AUT_0449.JPG
http://www.one-roomstudios.com/home/AUT_0450.JPG
http://www.one-roomstudios.com/home/AUT_0451.JPG
http://www.one-roomstudios.com/home/AUT_0452.JPG
http://www.one-roomstudios.com/home/AUT_0453.JPG

The monitor has changed.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Had to get a new video card... wow what a good choice (EDIT)

Post by xaresity »

инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинйоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфо
инфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоинфоtuchkasинфоинфо