I have a confession

A place to talk about... anything!
Sadira
Tomcat

I have a confession

Post by Sadira »

Like a mini-rant too, but on with the confession.

I "fixed" the price on Crow Berets. I had thought about it for a couple weeks and then after having my karma punish me while camping an NM, I got fed up and finally did it. :oops:

But, you see, I have a good reason, really I do. Crow Berets had been at a steady price of 180k and Raven Berets were steady at 500k. So I decided to make a batch and ended up with 6 NQ and 1 HQ plus I had an NQ floating around in my MH that I was gonna sell. Total worth = 1760k I'm not stupid so I wasn't gonna post them all at once. Unfortunately, two other crafters had the same idea I did... Only these idiots posted everything they were making and were underbidding by 15k-20k at a time. Most often they were underbidding themselves. :o

Now, if you get the materials at decent prices then its about 70k per synth, roughly. But in a week's time these two idiot "crafters" had driven the price on Crow Berets to 50k and Raven Beretes were down to 380k. Needless to say none of mine sold and I had decided to hold onto them and see if the market would fix itself when the idiots moved on to destroy another item. New total worth = 730k

Over two weeks later and the prices are exactly where the idiots left them with no sign of recovering. Now there was never really a whole lot of Berets on the AH at one time before the idiots, but now its pretty empty. Its a waste to craft them and the only time one is on the AH is when someone is selling theirs back, go figure.

So what I did two nights ago was post my NQ's on the AH and then buy them back at 120k. Wash, rinse, repeat, no price history, only 120k. I opted not to go for 180k again since even I felt it slightly overpriced before. :angel: And with the recent exception, my manipulations seems to have worked. I've sold 2 so far at 120k. The recent exception: Two new idiots - Calintz and Sui, underbidding by 20k like their moron predecesors before them, even after I so obviously took the time to "fix" what had become a losing synth. I mean, what is it with these people!? How can they be so stupid? Its not like there are a lot on the AH, theirs will sell if they give it the time. :x So I did a quick search and found Sui online but AFK and his comment identifying him as JP. So I did this (Crow Beret) =120k ~ 95k=BAKA!!!

Maybe it was uncalled for, but I'm fed up with these idiot crafters that are ruining good synths. My guess would be that they were probably gil buyers and were used to just having gil when they wanted it and now they have to do it *on their own*.

And in case you're wonder about the bad karma that slapped me in the face. I was camping Mee Deggi for O. Kote and when it was about time for him to pop everyone hit flee to get ready. He didn't pop though, so a little while later I'm thinking that if I hit flee I bet everyone else would too... So I did, and sure enough everyone follows, it was kind of funny, lol. What wasn't funny was that Mee Deggi really did pop just after everyone finished hitting flee for what was supposed to be a joke. >,<
THF50/NIN25 [color=green]([/color]Mithra[color=red])[/color]

[color=red]Clothcraft: 82.0+2[/color] [color=green]([/color]Adept[color=red])[/color]
[color=blue]Leathercraft: 60.0[/color] [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Goldsmithing: 48.0 [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Smithing: 19.0 [color=green]([/color]Recruit[color=red])[/color]
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

How to make money crafting:
1) Steal underpants.
2) ???
3) Profit!

That has happened to everyone and I place some of the blame on Powerlevelers. They go up ten levels in a few hours and dump their stuff on the AH at barebones prices and then you get someone who underbids for the hell of it and then AH history gets skewed to the new price and BAM! You're outta business.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Sadira
Tomcat

Post by Sadira »

Yup, sounds about right. Even I powerleveled parts of my crafts at one time or another. Except I wouldn't call people synthing things like Crow gear powerlevelers. Its not a skill up synth. The only reason to do it is to profit and try for HQ which you can't do on Crow anyway unless you're at least 75-80+ and have the sub crafts leveled. My point, if someone is not powerleveling the craft, then there is no reason for being an idiot unless their parents were and the "idiot" gene got handed down to them.

This isn't the first time my profit crafting has been thrown for a loop by insane underbids either, just the most recent and annoying one.

[color=red]Clothcraft: 82.0+2[/color] [color=green]([/color]Adept[color=red])[/color]
[color=blue]Leathercraft: 60.0[/color] [color=green]([/color]Journyman[color=red])[/color]
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I just love it when I craft something that is sold at an NPC and I sell mine for 10% less than the NPC and people yell at me!

It still amazes me that people pay 10K+ (I've seen them go to 25K) for a stack of Roast Mushrooms that you can get from a Kazham NPC for 3800 a stack. Just recently the Bard Carols disappeared from the AH.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Sadira
Tomcat

Post by Sadira »

I think the crafting population is really small compared to the whole and the people most likely to know about the things various NPC's sell are crafters. So people paying more on the AH for something they can get for less at an NPC are either paying for convenience or ignorance. In most cases I believe it to be the latter.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

People are lazy and can't be bothered to goto NPCs etc.
Crafting is a bigfat gilhole, even at 100+6 you'd still be lucky to make money from it. Someone in LS quit 'cause they get not getting HQs on elemental staves, HQ rate was like 1/12 when it should have been 1/4 or 1/5 (big fat money loss!). I wasted some money trying to HQ baron stuff, fluked a signed baron chapeau for a friend, after that couldn't do it again :x
My advice, stick to stuff that makes small profit (or little loss) from NQs and the odd HQ will make it worth while. If you're unlucky you won't lose much in the end.

And about retard sellers and buyers, they always follow me around. Since I've come back to the game I don't care all that much about money anymore. If I have to relist 'cause of dipshits undercutting I'll do a pretty large undercut to screw them all over.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Do not feel bad, I made more then one rant about this in the past when I played. Unfortunately there will always be idiots like this, and there is little you can do about it. I simply had to live with it until I had enough financial backing to buyout the market on an item and keep it bought out until someone started paying what I was demanding. It took alot of time and patience but I more then doubled and tripled the prices of a number of high end items doing this.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Keavy wrote:It still amazes me that people pay 10K+ (I've seen them go to 25K) for a stack of Roast Mushrooms that you can get from a Kazham NPC for 3800 a stack. Just recently the Bard Carols disappeared from the AH.
Sugami wrote:People are lazy and can't be bothered to goto NPCs etc.
I believe it is ignorance rather than lazyness in most cases. I also believe there are many who have made a concious decision that saving 10 - 50K is not worth a trip to Alakazam. I make 10s of 1000s a week off people who would rather buy at the AH rather than shop around. (Have I ever mentioned that I like to shop? Thrill of the hunt and all that.) The only problem is that I need millions right now. Even so, Gil/hour invested you just can't beat preying on the ignorant and lazy.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sadira
Tomcat

Post by Sadira »

Sugami wrote:Crafting is a bigfat gilhole, even at 100+6 you'd still be lucky to make money from it. Someone in LS quit 'cause they get not getting HQs on elemental staves, HQ rate was like 1/12 when it should have been 1/4 or 1/5 (big fat money loss!). I wasted some money trying to HQ baron stuff, fluked a signed baron chapeau for a friend, after that couldn't do it again :x
My advice, stick to stuff that makes small profit (or little loss) from NQs and the odd HQ will make it worth while. If you're unlucky you won't lose much in the end.
I've spent enough time researching my crafts and what I can and can't do with them to know that profit is directly related to how much gets put into it. Usually I'll make consumable's for quick gil, like threads and cloth, or go ram hunting and make leather since you can't really destroy a consumable's market. When I decide I'm going to HQ a few things to sell I'll wait until Darksday + New Moon. I won't even try for HQ at any other time since this is the best percentage you can get out of any HQ tier you're working on. I didn't get my crafts where they are over night and in that time I learned that direction really does make a difference. Not as much as the day or moon phase, but its there. And sadly, all the so called "Crafting Compasses" I've seen online that people make are usually wrong. They have a few right directions, but then several are misplaced. People don't realize that there are NPCs in-game that will show you the constellation map. All-in-all, truthfully, I've made more money from crafting than I've spent leveling it up at this point.

edit: Upate on the Crow Beret situation

It sure is funny how when it became a loss no one made this anymore since trying for an HQ was no longer worth it, but after I "fixed" it they suddenly start again...only they really are n00b "crafters" since they haven't had any HQ yet but still put their NQs on the AH for 90-95k even when they saw a constant price of 120k in the price history. Currently I'm engaged in buying out the underpriced Crow Berets from the n00b and reposting a price of 120k in the price history. This is one battle I don't plan on losing this time. A single n00b is a powerful force, but I fight on!

Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sadira wrote:
Sugami wrote:When I decide I'm going to HQ a few things to sell I'll wait until Darksday + New Moon. I won't even try for HQ at any other time since this is the best percentage you can get out of any HQ tier you're working on.
New Moon + the day your crystal is weak too is just as good as New Moon + Darkday. I always go for whichever of the two is closer to New Moon 0%.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sadira
Tomcat

Post by Sadira »

Tsybil wrote:
Sadira wrote:When I decide I'm going to HQ a few things to sell I'll wait until Darksday + New Moon. I won't even try for HQ at any other time since this is the best percentage you can get out of any HQ tier you're working on.
New Moon + the day your crystal is weak too is just as good as New Moon + Darkday. I always go for whichever of the two is closer to New Moon 0%.
Yeah, that's true. The moon phase begins on Darksday though, so the percentage is already conveniently low.

Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Sadira wrote:Yeah, that's true. The moon phase begins on Darksday though, so the percentage is already conveniently low.
/huh???? The month is not the same as X weeks exactly. Sometimes Darkday is 4 days away from New moon 0% either direction and the weak day is closer. I don't think I quite understand what you are saying.

For instance on 4/1 there is NO darkday at all during the new moon.

Apr 01, 2006 (SAT) 13:43:12
Apr 01, 2006 (SAT) 14:40:48 Darksday 12% (Waning Crescent)

Apr 01, 2006 (SAT) 18:31:12
Apr 01, 2006 (SAT) 19:28:48 Iceday 0% (New Moon)

Apr 01, 2006 (SAT) 21:24:00
Apr 01, 2006 (SAT) 22:21:36 Darksday 7% (Waxing Crescent)

Sadira
Tomcat

Post by Sadira »

8 days a week, 360 days in a year. Darksday hits every full moon, but only every other new moon. I know what you're saying and I appologize for the confusion.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Sadira wrote:edit: Upate on the Crow Beret situation

It sure is funny how when it became a loss no one made this anymore since trying for an HQ was no longer worth it, but after I "fixed" it they suddenly start again...only they really are n00b "crafters" since they haven't had any HQ yet but still put their NQs on the AH for 90-95k even when they saw a constant price of 120k in the price history. Currently I'm engaged in buying out the underpriced Crow Berets from the n00b and reposting a price of 120k in the price history. This is one battle I don't plan on losing this time. A single n00b is a powerful force, but I fight on!
Hehe a noble strategy I hope it pays off for you :)
I too don't understand these noobs, if you can get full price for such an item then why not? Windy had no tree cuttings so I put mine in for 1K more than last price, next day 2 sold for less then the last price and mine still unsold :x
Sadira
Tomcat

Post by Sadira »

Sugami wrote:Hehe a noble strategy I hope it pays off for you :)
I too don't understand these noobs, if you can get full price for such an item then why not? Windy had no tree cuttings so I put mine in for 1K more than last price, next day 2 sold for less then the last price and mine still unsold :x
So after buying out all of Calintz's underpriced stock (he's the new n00b ruining the market since I "fixed" it), he had 4 of them, I put the price back at 120k. Unfortunatly when I checked on it today my stuff had been sent back to my MH and there was suddenly 15 in stock...none of them mine obviously. Keep in mind that this is an item that typically only carries 2-6 on average at a given time though not rare to see 1 or 0. The price history shows that n00b Calintz is still underbidding them. My guess is that my buying him out only encouraged him. In fact, I get the impression that Calintz is a mule. I've been online morning, midday, and evening and haven't seen him at all. So its safe to assume most of those 15 in stock are his with the odd 1 or 2 being someone just offloading it.

Needless to say when I saw the 15 and the price history I got really depressed and nearly gave up. Don't get me wrong, I moved on to other things a long time ago, but this situation just rubs me wrong. Its the principle of the whole thing. So rather than giving in and quiting I decided to see if I could freeze Calintz out. I erased the price history to 20k and then used a couple friends to buy at 20k also so it would be in the history. I feel bad for anyone just wanting to offload it, but this is war. If he were smart he'd simply put the price history back to where he wants it. But so far he's only shown me that his head makes a better floatation device than a life raft. I hope this works, because I'm running out of ideas. :cry:

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I don't have the patience nor skill to try and corner the market on something :P keep me posted I'm interested how this turns out :D
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: I have a confession

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru