Tips for the common noobs

A place to talk about... anything!
Lolata
Kitten

Tips for the common noobs

Post by Lolata »

So youve just started the game. You don't know what do, or who to talk to. All you know is your playing FFXI. Well here are a few general tips.

1. (go to a forum and do research)

Its best to go to forums and look up info on your jobs, crafting, etc. Even us big kitties do it, so theres nothing to be embarassed about.

2. (gil)

When you start the game they give you 10 gil and a (worthless) coupon for 50 gil. Its best to just go outside and talk to the gate gaurd. get signet and start farming (killing monsters for drops) and get stacks of crystals. To stack a item use the auto sort command under the items menu. Crafting is a geat way to make gil as well, but IT WILL TAKE TIME. so be patient.

3. (Asking other players for help)

Dont be afraid to ask others for help. You cant solo this game (well not easily anyway) and it will make it more fun. If your curious about what armor to buy, use the Check feature and look at other players every now and then. See what gear they are wearing and immitate them if you see fit. Also you can go to the AH and look at all the armor they have. If its in Yellow you can use it as soon as you buy it :)

4. (Powerleveling)

Powerleveling is a gift given randomly. Dont spam ppl to powerlevel you to the next lvl every 10 minutes. It will utterly make them mad and maybe even cause them to dare I say it? Wear pants :lol: The horror. Powerleveling or PL is when you face mobs that would normally kill you, but a whm/rdm/pld/blm with whm sub heals you and keeps you alive so you can kill it. Yeah its faster in gaining exp in parties, but knowledge wise you lose out. For instance instead of learning how to do a skill chain your just doing whaterver cause you know you cant die, same for magic bursts etc.

Lastly use your map and compass. Even today when I walk through windy I use my map and say okay, go east. And follow my compass. You cant get lost that way :D
"Locked Cocked and Ready to Rock"
Nobodyreal
Housecat

Post by Nobodyreal »

Tip 0: READ THE F*CKING MANUAL!!!
[img]http://users.sisna.com/mschild/graphics/ffxisig.jpg[/img]
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

Personally, I tend to use that 50 gil coupon for AH fees. I go farm a couple stacks of crystals, redeem the coupon, then use that gil to put the stacks on the AH.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

As a WHM that has been asked to PL many times let me say this: IT IS BORING! Seriously. So to help with that, let us know how you're doing xp wise. If we're PLing you and you're getting 50 xp per fight then we need to move.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Kateevia
Housecat

Post by Kateevia »

I'm lvl 60WHM and I pretty much dont PL boring ppl, lmao. You gotta keeps me entertained to get my cures, lol. {}word{}
WHM60/BLM30/WAR30/RNG26/DRK22/RDM20
MNK20/NIN15/THF10/BRD4/SMN1/SAM1/BST1
Cooking 30, Clothcraft 9, Fishing 4
Here I am in all my Mithran glory....
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?103736
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Hehe yeah PLing is soo~ boring, I only do/did it to help out friends when I have nothing else to do :P

I remember when I was a noob, didn't know about signet for a while, ended up selling everything to vendors for the first few levels :lol:
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

My WHM is high enough to PL lowbies in the Dunes, but I'm not sure I want to just yet.

If I do, I'm only gonna PL the ones that will pay me a bunch though. I feel it's fair tradeoff for them being all... spoiled and impatient and crap.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

JediKitsune wrote:My WHM is high enough to PL lowbies in the Dunes, but I'm not sure I want to just yet.

If I do, I'm only gonna PL the ones that will pay me a bunch though. I feel it's fair tradeoff for them being all... spoiled and impatient and crap.
I never PLed, no matter how much they offered.
Rather then that I teleport if I seriously need gil.
Prices of teleports are pretty high so you can make a good living out of that.
Just sacrifice your gametime a bit when you have less time to play.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

Well, I try to make money however I can. If I can make it PLing, then I'll PL. I don't condone babysitting newbies, but I do condone taking money from stupid people willing to throw it away.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

well considering I can easily make 1mil+ crafting in an afternoon, lower players tend to get discouraged when I tell them my prices lol.

(500k per lvl or 1mil per hour)

I honestly don't like plvling and think all it does is teach new players bad habits. I find most players lazy enough as it is, why encourage them to be more lazy?
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Dawezy
Tomcat

Post by Dawezy »

Heh, only purpose my RDM61 serves lately is helping other people I know and others in LS with general support on their lower jobs.. only thing I ask in return is PL of MY lower level jobs, which isnt too much to ask in any event.

..but moving onto tips for newbs.

Dont lot on every single damn item that drops..

I see it all the time, lol, unless you are doing parties for specific items - its really rude to just lot on everything so nobody else gets a drop.

{/sigh}
~
[img]http://www.dawezy.com/ff11/Nibble.jpg[/img]
~

:D
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I think the "lotting" starts when someone needs a subjob item (New character or mule being leveled for the Chocobo quest) so they assume that the party lots on whatever that person wants.

As for Tele's when I feel like it mine are free. I rarely do it and when I do I only do it for one or two people/parties that are desperate and it is clear no WHM's are doing it. I feel it balances it out.

As for people who send me /tell's or invite me to a party for a Tele or a PL they get a piece of my mind and a spot on my blacklist. If my flag is up I want experience, damnit.
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

No one does taxi runs anymore, be lucky if you hear a shout for one and hear people willing to pay up to 5K for them sometimes, a well placed WHM would make a steal!
Gwynn
Big Cat

Post by Gwynn »

PLing results in sub-standard skills, not just lazy habits.

You don't NEED to level your evasion, because your biddy there will just heal you. You don't NEED to level your blackmagic skill, cause you're just clubbing things to death, because you're getting healed. You don't Need to level Enhancing magic, because your buddy's casting Protect and Shell for you.

i'll stop ranting after i relate the story of the Thief at level 48 with a grand skill of 40 in evasion. Every time he'd pull, he'd die. I ended up pulling as RDM48 for that party. Talk about annoying
[b]Gwynn[/b] : [color=Orange][i] Bismark Server[/i][/color]
Primary: RDM75/BLM37
Secondary:WAR75/NIN37
Next: NIN63/WAR31
Bastok Rank: 9
ZM:17 PM 3-5 TM: 8
AFb:
WAR: Head [x] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
RDM: Head [ ] Body [ ] Gloves [x] Leggings [x] Boots [x]
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Okay...that's just pitiful...I think I had at least two and a half times that much evasion at that level...and I'm a freakin PLD! >_<;
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

that is why I dont like PLing, it makes players with low skill levels
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Tips for the common noobs

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeepercottageneteyesvisioneyesvisionsfactoringfeefilmzonesgadwallgaffertapegageboardgagrulegallductgalvanometricgangforemangangwayplatformgarbagechutegardeningleavegascauterygashbucketgasreturngatedsweepgaugemodelgaussianfiltergearpitchdiameter
geartreatinggeneralizedanalysisgeneralprovisionsgeophysicalprobegeriatricnursegetintoaflapgetthebouncehabeascorpushabituatehackedbolthackworkerhadronicannihilationhaemagglutininhailsquallhairyspherehalforderfringehalfsiblingshallofresidencehaltstatehandcodinghandportedheadhandradarhandsfreetelephone
hangonparthaphazardwindinghardalloyteethhardasironhardenedconcreteharmonicinteractionhartlaubgoosehatchholddownhaveafinetimehazardousatmosphereheadregulatorheartofgoldheatageingresistanceheatinggasheavydutymetalcuttingjacketedwalljapanesecedarjibtypecranejobabandonmentjobstressjogformationjointcapsulejointsealingmaterial
journallubricatorjuicecatcherjunctionofchannelsjusticiablehomicidejuxtapositiontwinkaposidiseasekeepagoodoffingkeepsmthinhandkentishglorykerbweightkerrrotationkeymanassurancekeyserumkickplatekillthefattedcalfkilowattsecondkingweakfishkinozoneskleinbottlekneejointknifesethouseknockonatomknowledgestate
kondoferromagnetlabeledgraphlaborracketlabourearningslabourleasinglaburnumtreelacingcourselacrimalpointlactogenicfactorlacunarycoefficientladletreatedironlaggingloadlaissezallerlambdatransitionlaminatedmateriallammasshootlamphouselancecorporallancingdielandingdoorlandmarksensorlandreformlanduseratio
languagelaboratorylargeheartlasercalibrationlaserlenslaserpulselatereventlatrinesergeantlayaboutleadcoatingleadingfirmlearningcurveleavewordmachinesensiblemagneticequatormagnetotelluricfieldmailinghousemajorconcernmammasdarlingmanagerialstaffmanipulatinghandmanualchokemedinfobooksmp3lists
nameresolutionnaphtheneseriesnarrowmouthednationalcensusnaturalfunctornavelseedneatplasternecroticcariesnegativefibrationneighbouringrightsobjectmoduleobservationballoonobstructivepatentoceanminingoctupolephononofflinesystemoffsetholderolibanumresinoidonesticketpackedspherespagingterminalpalatinebonespalmberry
papercoatingparaconvexgroupparasolmonoplaneparkingbrakepartfamilypartialmajorantquadruplewormqualityboosterquasimoneyquenchedsparkquodrecuperetrabbetledgeradialchaserradiationestimatorrailwaybridgerandomcolorationrapidgrowthrattlesnakemasterreachthroughregionreadingmagnifierrearchainrecessionconerecordedassignment
rectifiersubstationredemptionvaluereducingflangereferenceantigenregeneratedproteinreinvestmentplansafedrillingsagprofilesalestypeleasesamplingintervalsatellitehydrologyscarcecommodityscrapermatscrewingunitseawaterpumpsecondaryblocksecularclergyseismicefficiencyselectivediffusersemiasphalticfluxsemifinishmachiningspicetradespysale
stunguntacticaldiametertailstockcentertamecurvetapecorrectiontappingchucktaskreasoningtechnicalgradetelangiectaticlipomatelescopicdampertemperateclimatetemperedmeasuretenementbuildingtuchkasultramaficrockultraviolettesting