Beta Software...free coasters?

A place to talk about... anything!
Ishe
Tomcat

Beta Software...free coasters?

Post by Ishe »

I remember reading somewhere in the agreement that we were to send back all the beta testing equipment we got back to Square-Enix. I've received no information on where to send it to so I'm not sure if they want it back or if we can just use them for coasters. If anyone has any info on this post it so myself and others in my predicament know what actions to take. Thanks ;D
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Post by Cyndari »

If you're a pc player, I'm not sure what to tell you. If you are a ps2 player you should have gotten a return label in the pkg with the beta so that you could send it back free of charge. I think that if you go to the beta website www.square-enix-usa.com/betatest/ps2 they would also have the shipping aady there if you lost your label. :wink:
[color=blue][b][i]Don't let fear cloud your judgement, for it will hold you back from all of your dreams ;) [/i][/b][/color]
[img]http://www.drowtales.com/~hightreason/chibilaelia.gif[/img] [color=blue][size=200][i][b]Meeooww!!![/b][/i][/size][/color]

WHM - 61 | SMN - 32 | BLM - 21 | THF - 10 | NIN - 7 | BRD - 7 | BST - 7 | SAM - 5 | WAR - 5
Klisk
Kitten

Post by Klisk »

<b>Only</b> PS2 users have to send anything back. PC users can keep their stuff.

Also, PS2 users <b>only</b> have to send back the HDD. You can keep the software for bragging rights.

--

Hello FINAL FANTASY XI beta tester,

The FINAL FANTASY XI beta test has officially ended. This is the final
notice to request that you return the beta HDD that you are using. We
sincerely hope you have enjoyed being a part of this beta test. To thank
you we are going to send you the retail version of FINAL FANTASY XI and
an HDD with additional gaming content when you return the beta HDD
you are currently using.

In order to receive the retail version of FINAL FANTASY XI and the HDD
prior to or on the release date of the game, we require that you return
the beta HDD by OCTOBER 28, 2003. Please note that we are aiming to
ship items one week prior to FINAL FANTASY XI's release date.
Information related to shipping or tracking of items will not be
available until then.

REMOVING THE HDD FROM THE PLAYSTATION(R) 2 CONSOLE

1. Exit the FINAL FANTASY XI and PlayOnline software and make sure that
the @ (standby) indicator on the PlayStation(R)2 console front is lit up
in red, then turn off the PlayStation 2 console using the MAIN POWER
switch on the console rear.

2. Disconnect the power plug for the PlayStation 2 console from the
electrical outlet.

3. Loosen the mounting screws of the network adaptor.
* Turn the mounting screws in a counterclockwise direction using a coin.
* NOTE: Do not use a screwdriver to loosen the mounting screws.

4. Remove the network adaptor from the console and HDD.
* Remove the network adaptor by pulling it away from the console. Note
that the HDD remains in the console.

5. Remove the HDD from the console. (To remove the HDD you will need
to temporarily reattach the network adaptor.)
* Press in the two UNLOCK tabs of the HDD to release it from the
PlayStation 2 console.
* Fully insert the HDD power and data connectors of the network adaptor
into the matching connectors of the HDD. Be sure to insert the
connectors straight into each other to avoid bending the pins.
* Remove the network adaptor along with the connected HDD by pulling it
out of the EXPANSION BAY.

6. Cover the EXPANSION BAY.
* After removing the HDD, reattach the network adaptor OR reattach the
expansion bay cover to help protect the expansion bus connector, which
is located within the expansion bay.

RETURNING THE HDD

1. Repack the HDD in the provided Styrofoam packaging and HDD box and
place the container inside the larger Beta Test Kit box.
* Be sure to remove the return-mailing label from the original.

2. Seal the Beta Test Kit box with packing tape.

3. Affix the return-mailing label that came with the Beta Test Kit so it
covers the original shipping label.

4. U.S. Residents: Drop off the box at your local UPS office.

Canadian Residents: Drop off the box at your local Purolator depot.

<b>We only require that you return the HDD. It is not necessary to return
the game software.</b>

If you require further assistance or need a new return-mailing label,
please contact SCEA Consumer Services at 1-866-445-7332.

Thanks again for participating in this beta test.
Klisk:
The Scourge of Alaska!
Ishe
Tomcat

Post by Ishe »

Aww man, what a jip. So PC users don't get anything for testing the software? Ah well. I'm gonna keep my stuff installed and hope I can use it without buying retail hehe
Thief 60 / Ninja 71 / Warrior 35 / Summoner 20 / Whitemage 10 / Monk 6 / Ranger 4 / Blackmage 3
Alchemy: 51 ~ Boneworking: 48+1
:::
Rank 10
Paragon of Ninja Excellence.
Cyndari
"Illuminatus"

Post by Cyndari »

Klisk, originally that was the plan, but back in the begining of Sept Square-Enix changed their minds. They wanted everything back. See the problem here is that Sony and Square-Enix are not working together to tell us everything. The message Klisk posted is from Sony. If you go the playonline site in the news archive you would see this message:

Changes to Agreements and Policies

For: Public Beta Tester Agreement
Location: Chapter 3., Article 10. "Responsibility of Beta Tester," Item 6.
Effective: Immediately

Chapter 3., Article 10., Item 6. has been amended as follows:

"6. Beta Tester shall return all Software, Equipment and other materials that Beta Tester received from the Company or the designated business affiliates of the Company ("Business Affiliates") upon the completion, termination, or cancellation of Beta Testing, or disqualification of Beta Tester, or upon any request by the Company or Business Affiliates, no later than two (2) weeks after the notice of conclusion of Beta Test
by the Company or Beta Tester's receipt of Company's or Business
Affiliates' request for return of such materials or no later than specific time period indicated on such request.

Beta Tester shall follow the return procedures and instruction given by the Company or Business Affiliates. Beta Tester shall return the same Equipment, Software, and other materials that the Company or Business Affiliates sent to Beta Tester to the address indicated on the return request and, upon any failure to do so, shall be liable to the Company or Business Affiliates for the cost of such Equipment, Software, and other materials, and for the damages that the Company or Business Affiliates incurred due to Beta Tester not returning the same Equipment, Software, and other materials."

The above change has been made to the Public Beta Tester Agreement. You can read the entire agreement at the "User Agreement" section of the beta tester site.

For: PlayOnline Service Privacy Policy
Location: Article III., Section B., Item 2. "Information Shared with Third Parties"
Effective: Immediately

Article III., Section B., Item 2. has been amended as follows:

"Square Enix may share your Personal Information with our business partners, advertisers or other business affiliates ("Business Affiliates"), who may be responsible for responding to your requests for information, support and assistance. Further, Square Enix may share your Personal Information with Business Affiliates without prior notice for reasons determined by Square Enix that are reasonably required to carry out the tasks relating to and/or in connection of operation or completion of PlayOnline."

The above change has been made to the PlayOnline Service Privacy Policy.

You can read the entire policy at the "User Agreement" section of the beta tester site.

Basically, they want everything back :? :evil:
[color=blue][b][i]Don't let fear cloud your judgement, for it will hold you back from all of your dreams ;) [/i][/b][/color]
[img]http://www.drowtales.com/~hightreason/chibilaelia.gif[/img] [color=blue][size=200][i][b]Meeooww!!![/b][/i][/size][/color]

WHM - 61 | SMN - 32 | BLM - 21 | THF - 10 | NIN - 7 | BRD - 7 | BST - 7 | SAM - 5 | WAR - 5
Golddess
LVL (-1) Baka Neko

Post by Golddess »

Yeah, after learning of the supposed change saying that they want everything back, even though the email sony sent me said to only send in the HDD, I decided to send back everything. Didn't want to risk not getting the HDD and the game for free. But PC users don't get anything? Not even a free copy of the game? That sucks!
Ishe
Tomcat

Post by Ishe »

Well neither Sony nor Square (though I don't see why Sony would even know who I am since I was a PC tester) has sent me any e-mails, letters, or packaging with which to send the game back so as far as I'm concerned they don't want it that bad.
Purrmie
Kitten

Post by Purrmie »

well I sent everything back but the gamebook. I hope this wont stop me from getting the hard drive. those emails confused me though I wanted to keep the game disc. :?
Jeniphel
Dirty Old Man Troll

Post by Jeniphel »

Heh, I just sent back the hardrive (and it's software) like the email from Sony asked me to. Though, I did print out the email with those two lines about only sending back the HDD highlighted AND circled.

The big thing that you have to watch out for is the statements in bold:

6. Beta Tester shall return all Software, Equipment and other materials that Beta Tester received from the Company or the designated business affiliates of the Company ("Business Affiliates") upon the completion, termination, or cancellation of Beta Testing, or disqualification of Beta Tester, or upon any request by the Company or Business Affiliates, no later than two (2) weeks after the notice of conclusion of Beta Test by the Company or Beta Tester's receipt of Company's or Business Affiliates' request for return of such materials or no later than specific time period indicated on such request.

In my opinion Sony stated in thier email they only wanted the HDD back not the software - so that's what they got - even though phone support told me otherwise.
A flash from the past! ... though it's probably more like a drive-by mooning.
Valkyr
Tomcat

Post by Valkyr »

i sent it all back no use having the box art sitting there torturing me cuz i dont have the hdd to play it!
The world before the fall...
Delightful is the light of dawn...
Noble is the heart of man...
Jeniphel
Dirty Old Man Troll

Post by Jeniphel »

I just wanted a 'trophy' from the beta test....

I'll spend the cash for the HDD at ebgames.com (since I haven't found any local games stores worthy of my money) if it comes down to that though...

I'm just sad that the PS2 Castlevania comes out tomorrow and my PC version of FFXI comes in a week after that :-(

Too many games, too little time, way too little cash - maybe I need a.....(insert idea here)
Vorloxa
Kitten

Post by Vorloxa »

Well all I know is that if you preorder it from a certain place (hmm i dont remember) you get a free mouse and mousepad for the pc version or something.
Swipe
Housecat

Post by Swipe »

Vorloxa wrote:Well all I know is that if you preorder it from a certain place (hmm i dont remember) you get a free mouse and mousepad for the pc version or something.
it was ebgames.
[size=92]~ Swipe ~ World of Midgardsormr ~ Rank 5 in the legions of Windurst ~[/size]
[img]http://www.crystalrecipies.com/qd/Badgercub/New_swipe_sig.jpg[/img]
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Vorloxa wrote:Well all I know is that if you preorder it from a certain place (hmm i dont remember) you get a free mouse and mousepad for the pc version or something.
Gamestop and ebgames have the mousepad offer. My taru friend has one, and he says it's the most useless mousepad ever. ;>
Klisk
Kitten

Post by Klisk »

<b>Cyndari</b>

You mis-understood that user agreement. That agreement did not say they wanted everything back -- It says that you have to send everything back /if they ask you to./

They didn't ask anyone to, at all. Matter of fact, the e-mail I posted was sent to me in october, after the agreement you posted went into effect.

So you only have to send back the HDD. Not everything. They only posted that agreement change, because it's their policy to alert members of changes. It wasn't an order, just a clause in /case/ they wanted everything back.

But they didn't want everything back, since they never actually asked.

So basically, you just have to send back the HDD like the email I received in October said -- A user agreement is NOT an order.

So jeniphel is correct, here -- Square/Sony don't want everything back. They decided they only wanted the HDD. The user-agreement update was simply posted to notify people that you have to send everything back, /if/ they ask for everything back. They weren't blatantly asking. ;)
Klisk:
The Scourge of Alaska!
Jeniphel
Dirty Old Man Troll

Post by Jeniphel »

So I hope....
Klisk
Kitten

Post by Klisk »

Even if they did want anything back, the mere fact that the email said only to send back the HDD kind've puts them in a corner where they'll still have to send the free HDD out anyways. ;)

Besides, it kind've makes sense that they'd only want the HDD back, since it's the only thing in the entire kit they could lose money on.

The beta HDD's were probably special-made for beta, and thusly, cost a lot of extra money since a gigantic amount weren't made. In other words, Sony would lose money.

But if they send us the retail HDD, they would presumably lose a lot LESS money, because at that point the game would be in a mass production. Whomever they hired to make the HDD's would, most likely, charge a lot less if they're being made on such a huge scale.

Plus, if Square gets the beta HDD's back (Which are kind've worthless to beta testers, without the software,) Square could at the least reformat the HDD's, and put them to good use.

That just seems to be how I take it, though. ;)
Klisk:
The Scourge of Alaska!
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Klisk wrote:The beta HDD's were probably special-made for beta, and thusly, cost a lot of extra money since a gigantic amount weren't made. In other words, Sony would lose money.
From others I've talked to (not having one myself), the HDD is the exact same as the one sold in the Linux kit. I'm not even sure what a 'beta HDD' would look like, seeing how all the harddrives look the same nowdays. ^^

Not to mention that there are already over 200,000 of these drives running around in Japan. I don't think the hardware was really the part being tested...
Klisk
Kitten

Post by Klisk »

Firemyst wrote:
Klisk wrote:The beta HDD's were probably special-made for beta, and thusly, cost a lot of extra money since a gigantic amount weren't made. In other words, Sony would lose money.
From others I've talked to (not having one myself), the HDD is the exact same as the one sold in the Linux kit. I'm not even sure what a 'beta HDD' would look like, seeing how all the harddrives look the same nowdays. ^^

Not to mention that there are already over 200,000 of these drives running around in Japan. I don't think the hardware was really the part being tested...
That's true, but even so they'd still have to spend extra expense to just get a small amount of them, compared to a large amount. They have to be made by someone, afterall!

But yeah. Not to mention that I'd doubt they'd import all of the drives, but who knows.
Klisk:
The Scourge of Alaska!