95%
no
5%

Total votes: 38

Nhiha
Tomcat

im so happy drg upgrade

Post by Nhiha »

the ff11 website has annouced that some changes are going to be made for the drg

1 drg will get a new 2hr it affects the str and jump abilities
2 call wyvern will become a 20 min JA
3 and the wyvern will recieve a sublte blow like JA
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Yes, but there's a problem. This fix will help Drg, yes, but it will not vastly improve our damage or make us incredibly more useful. At the very least, this should curb some leader's fears about inviting Drg when fighting AoE happy monsters.

Most people may over-react to this patch and give Drg more credit then they are due.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Susannah
Tomcat

Post by Susannah »

DRAGOONS ROCK!
8)
Seraph Server. Pirate leader of the SkeletonCrew.
August 5, 1958 - May 10, 2006
You never know how much your parents mean to you, until they're gone away. Cherish your time spent, for it may all disappear tomorrow. I miss you momma.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Eviticus wrote:Yes, but there's a problem. This fix will help Drg, yes, but it will not vastly improve our damage or make us incredibly more useful. At the very least, this should curb some leader's fears about inviting Drg when fighting AoE happy monsters.

Most people may over-react to this patch and give Drg more credit then they are due.
Ya know, I never really looked at it like that. I personally think a lot of DRGs aren't given the credit they're already due. I've seen DRGs who out-damage a DRK, out-TP'ed a SAM, and still can help me get hate back on the rare occasions when I lose it. To me, that's something I can't get out of any other job. DRKs I sometimes have to keep alive from them using Souleater and leaving the damned thing on (That's right, the smart ones shut it back off as soon as they're done with their WS) It's like I had a DRK one time who's first comment was "Are you a good tank?" "One of the betters ones I think" "We'll see, if I don't die the first time I use Souleater then I'll give you credit" <.<;;

I've yet to have that type of problem with a DRG. :roll:
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

Yeah. A Drg can pile on that Atk and Str and Acc, slam a WS for a closer and do fantastic damage...and then jump the hate away. Granted, a few can do more damage then us at times. But we can contribute alot without disturbing the monster.

Also since our hate is not shared with our Wyvern, all the damage he/she does isn't connected with us. So we essentially always have a hateless damage boost.

Our problems are almost never connected with, "Can the tank keep me alive?". Unless it's a Nin, then it depends on how good the Nin is.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.

Nhiha
Tomcat

Post by Nhiha »

ok i agree drg is often not given enough credit but the most exciting thing is the change of the "Call Wyvern" ability to a JA instead of the a 2hr but of course any good drg shouldnt let the pet get hurt enough for it to die
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Eviticus wrote:Yes, but there's a problem. This fix will help Drg, yes, but it will not vastly improve our damage or make us incredibly more useful. At the very least, this should curb some leader's fears about inviting Drg when fighting AoE happy monsters.

Well, there are experience points parties and then there are burning circles, enms, chains of promathia missions, and other such events.

I can't think of a single one where anyone would say, "Get the dragoon, they'd be perfect for this."

I think this new dragoon two hour will finally help dragoons into events they could never get invited to before... depending on what it does exactly :P

No one invites a summoner into an experience points party for astral flow... but a party heading off to beat a boss monster is another story ;) I think dragoons will have a chance at something similar with this change.
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~crispl3af/level.JPG[/img]
Bastok Rank 8-1, Windurst Rank 10
Rise of Zilart Completed
Chains of Promathia Completed
Treasures of Aht Urghan Rank 2
Dawezy
Tomcat

Post by Dawezy »

DRKs I sometimes have to keep alive from them using Souleater and leaving the damned thing on
..sigh.

DRK's like that give the rest of us a bad image >.>
~
[img]http://www.dawezy.com/ff11/Nibble.jpg[/img]
~

:D
Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

I can think of -one- instance where this will hinder Drg, where up untill now the situation was "Grab a Dragoon". I believe somewhere in the CoP stuff there is a monster that will switch class if a 2hr is used. If a Smn were to use their 2hr, you could save the party from getting Astral Flowed in return by having the party's Dragoon Dismiss then re-Call Wyvern.

No harm done to the dragoon, and they can 'spam' their 2hr every 5 minutes thanks to Dismiss. Now, this will nolonger be the case. We can only hope our new 2hr does a crapload of damage, otherwise....
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kitkat
Kitten

Post by Kitkat »

Great! Now I can lose my wyvrn to a chocobo every 20 min instead of every hour! :oops: But, very excited about the new patch, the new 2hr sounds- well interesting at the most.. lets see if Squeenix can keep our hopes and standards on the same level.
[img]http://i35.photobucket.com/albums/d151/ThriceQ/kitkat_01.jpg[/img]

[b]75Drg[/b] / 75War / 70 Thf
100+3 Bonecraft- Relic Lance lvl 3
CoP-Done! Zilart-Done!
Maxed Merit on Drg
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Wee~ been a while since I've been on here :)
Who said it won't improve our damage? Does it need to be improved? No, I can happily match a DRK/THF on normal attacks, now take into account our wyvern is hitting about twice for every swing we do. Not to mention we get 2 free hits! Only our WS seems to lack in damage and anyone who gets caught up on one figure needs to reevaluate themselves.
A good DRG knows how to keep their wyvern alive, which means Dismissing when fighting gobs. There is just no way can keep the cute cuddly wyvern alive against gobs for 2hrs considering one bomb drop could one-shot 'em and even yourself. Changing it to 20mins means we can have our wyverns out and should be able to keep 'em alive with Spirit Link and a well timed Super Jump until the timer is ready.
I've read the update notes, it's a bit vague about what the 2hr does but I am really excited about it nonetheless :)
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

im really hoping what they mean about the two hour will be

RAIN OF SPEARS!!!

you know, freyas trance from ff9, where she jumped into the air and every round rained spears down upon everthing below... i think thats a possiblilty to say the least.
Nhiha
Tomcat

Post by Nhiha »

that would be sweet
Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

2hr's in FFXI are markedly different from one another. There are entire degrees of seperation between things like {Hundred Fists}, {Mighty Strikes}, and {Mijin Gakure}.

I've seen alot of people offer ideas as to what they think the new Drg 2hr will be, but the most common idea is something akin to Nivez's 'Rain of Spears'. Now, to me, that feels ver close to {Hundred Fists}. In my opinion, the two closest 2hrs in FFXI are {Invincible} and {Perfect Dodge}, and even those have quite a bit of seperation. Dodging as opposed to just taking the hits and not caring.

While it's possible they may do a Rain of Spears thing, its description feels too much like {Hundred Fists} with Polearms.....don't think they will do it. Honestly, all we can do at the moment is guess. However, when this new patch comes out, I will thuroughly examine my new 2hr.

I plan on completely stripping myself of -all- gear except my weapon, a Mythril Lance +1, and taking my 50Drg/war self over to some mobs and testing my damage. Documenting my average damage and that of my Wyvern's. Also, I'm gonna write down things like my Atk and Def, Str, Dex, etc. Then, once I'm sure of getting accurate data, I'm gonna switch on the new 2hr and see if there's a difference in any of those numbers. Also, I'm gonna test out my jumps both before and after to see if there is a damage difference. Also, to find out what that new effect is.

If anyone has any ideas as to what else I should test out, please tell me. I want to figure out this new 2hr thing.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Nhiha
Tomcat

Post by Nhiha »

i cant think of anything but plz post it as soon as u have compiled your data
Crispleaf
Housecat

Post by Crispleaf »

Eviticus wrote:I've seen alot of people offer ideas as to what they think the new Drg 2hr will be, but the most common idea is something akin to Nivez's 'Rain of Spears'. Now, to me, that feels ver close to {Hundred Fists}.
I think the difference between this and something like Hundred Fists is the jump aspect. If this does hate-losing jumps repeatedly, you can cause lots of pain, but not die in the process. Hundred fists draws such hate that only Invincible has a chance to save the Monk most of the time.

Oh course, sometimes stealing hate is the point (the monk might be trying to tank in an emergency, for example), and this would be a unique trait for the dragoon to consider.
[img]http://home.comcast.net/~crispl3af/level.JPG[/img]
Bastok Rank 8-1, Windurst Rank 10
Rise of Zilart Completed
Chains of Promathia Completed
Treasures of Aht Urghan Rank 2
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

I thought the new 2 Hour would be something like adding a breath attack to the jumps, only bigger.

That Rain of spears thing sounds more like 1000 needles than Hundred fists though. Sounds nice too
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

To me it sounds similar to Might Strikes with increased damage for Jumps too. Hundred Fists for Jump would be awesome and look immensely silly :D
Aony
Housecat

Post by Aony »

Eviticus wrote:I've seen alot of people offer ideas as to what they think the new Drg 2hr will be, but the most common idea is something akin to Nivez's 'Rain of Spears'. Now, to me, that feels ver close to {Hundred Fists}. In my opinion, the two closest 2hrs in FFXI are {Invincible} and {Perfect Dodge}, and even those have quite a bit of seperation. Dodging as opposed to just taking the hits and not caring.
Also, being a main thief myself, (secondary dragoon,) and having a few pld buddies I'll add something. With a paladin, Invincible really does make you "Invincible". As a thief, you can still be killed while {Perfect Dodge} is on, as it is impossible to "Dodge" a spell, as it attaches itself to you before it goes off, and AoEs still hit as you can't really dodge something that explodes in a radius around you. So from a technical and gameplay aspect, {Perfect Dodge} and {Invincible} are very different.
[url=http://www.imageshack.us][img]http://img100.echo.cx/img100/6779/sigaony7am.gif[/img][/url]

thf: 70 drg: 50 nin: 36 smn: 30 whm: 33 blm: 21 war: 25 drk: 13 sam: 10 brd: 9 mnk: 10 pld: 10 Blu: 8 cor: 11 pup: 5

All Thief AF obtained! :thumb:

http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheresyourgod1sh.jpg
Aony
Housecat

Post by Aony »

Sugami wrote:To me it sounds similar to Might Strikes with increased damage for Jumps too. Hundred Fists for Jump would be awesome and look immensely silly :D
And yes, that would be awesome and silly and ME WANTS IT!!!!
[url=http://www.imageshack.us][img]http://img100.echo.cx/img100/6779/sigaony7am.gif[/img][/url]

thf: 70 drg: 50 nin: 36 smn: 30 whm: 33 blm: 21 war: 25 drk: 13 sam: 10 brd: 9 mnk: 10 pld: 10 Blu: 8 cor: 11 pup: 5

All Thief AF obtained! :thumb:

http://img380.imageshack.us/my.php?image=wheresyourgod1sh.jpg
Kateevia
Housecat

Post by Kateevia »

:D I'm definately seeing an increase in DRGs alrdy. I think people are pulling their wyverns out and gettin back to lvling DRG in preperation for the update. But now that they're all comin out the woodwork Ive had the chance to party with them more and more and I frikking lvu em! I throw some haste on em the TP keeps comin and comin, DMG is quite decent and they always let me pet their dragon :P I've alrdy locked down 2 grreat ones to static with :D
WHM60/BLM30/WAR30/RNG26/DRK22/RDM20
MNK20/NIN15/THF10/BRD4/SMN1/SAM1/BST1
Cooking 30, Clothcraft 9, Fishing 4
Here I am in all my Mithran glory....
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?103736
Nhiha
Tomcat

Post by Nhiha »

c so why did drg get such a bad reputation too begin with? ppl not liken drg is ludicris
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Just a sidenote, {Invincible} doesn't work quite as well as you make it sound. <.<; The same thing that kills a THF can kill me. All it takes is a good spell or two, and I'm absolutely screwed, {Invincible} or not. ><
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Nhiha wrote:c so why did drg get such a bad reputation too begin with? ppl not liken drg is ludicris
On many forums it is popular to dis one job or another. For a LONG time, DRG was the most popular object of scorn.

It started with the multi hit WeaponSkill TP nerf. Pre nerf a DRG or Polearm SAM could come out of Pentathrust with enough TP to instantly start another. This led to lots of damage and the term Pentaspam. Rather like the recent Ranged Weapon adjustment and RNG, once the mass damage potential was removed the job was seen as now usless. :roll:

DRGs spent DAYS seeking with no response. Many gave the job up. /sigh

I have a post on this thread that shows just how awesome a DRG can be. It was lifted from GameFAQs, the forum that disses DRGs the most.

viewtopic.php?t=388&highlight=drg
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

yeah the pother day when I was doing a BCNM with some firends...I got a PT invite... and I was a DRG/RDM at the time an NOT SEEKING....I almost wet my pants.........
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
angelstar107
Tomcat

Post by angelstar107 »

The dragoon will be imbued with the strength of his or her wyvern for a fixed length of time, increasing the dragoon's power and adding special effects to "Jump" abilities.{}
Ok... Gimme a second here. This forum thread is kinda messed up. All these weird thoughts on what the above statement says.

Hm... "Imbued with the strength of his or her wyvern for a fixed length of time". Sounds to me like a temperary fusion between the Drg and the Wyvern. Yeah, sounds right. "Increasing the Dragoon's Power" (Like a wyvern in terms of attacking) "And adding special effects to 'Jump'" (Elemental Status from Elemental Breaths I would think, but I'm not spreading rumors).

For now, I think it's safe to agree let's not let our minds wander until the update. 2 weeks and counting.[/quote]
Mnk 75, Drg 75, Sam 75, Blu 74, War 50, Thf 41, Dnc 58, Nin 37, Whm 42, Rdm 46, Pup 41, Rng 63, Bst 19, Pld 4, Drk 26, Smn 3, Sch 7

[23:41] Starlight: Markov, why are bikini's getting smaller and smaller?
[23:41] MarkovBot: Because you are going to work.

Ninetails Pride! ^.~ Kittens are cool too...
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Hehe DRG71 going after Impulse Drive currently :)
Personally I haven't found it hard leveling, I've made a lot of my own parties and it's always good to make friends so that they'd invite you to their parties.
Said this before and say it again, I don't think people generally have bad views of DRG, at least not anymore.

Update in 2 weeks then? {Excitement} :)
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

I remember someone saying somthing about the 10th of December....taht is only 5 days away
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Nhiha
Tomcat

Post by Nhiha »

side note how would you like your drg af to look like this http://img380.imageshack.us/img380/27/mith5sz.jpgyou
Nhiha
Tomcat

Post by Nhiha »

how would you like your drg af to look like this?