Discussion! Who is the biggest DD in FFXI!?

A place to talk about... anything!
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Discussion! Who is the biggest DD in FFXI!?

Post by Ambrey »

I want to have an open discussion about the biggest DD in FFXI. Now that Rng has been "adjusted" who is the biggest, baddest DD combo in FFXI? Is it Blm/Rdm? A War/Nin or Drk/Thf? What about a Nin/Blm? Or even a Smn/Whm or whatever combo you can come up with?

Thoughts and discussion are welcome here but please lets keep this a civil discussion and not turn it into a flame war! Everyone is entitled to their own opinions. :D
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I have had many DD teachers before, one being my friend ari's brother whose blm/smn, but is also nin/war-war/nin. He's taught me that if done properly and geared properly and the attentivness to JA's and WS's uses during chains, that a warrior sub ninja can be a decent DD. now we're not and never will be the best. But we do damage over time. We're not a direct assault. As it takes a few to set up Rampageing Lunacy.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Naru Fugihara
Big Cat

Post by Naru Fugihara »

I havn't done many DD jobs, but I find MNK/WAR and DRG/WAR when both have good gear to do good damage. Though if you were to put a MNK against a mob that is really resistant to phy attacks it wouldn't do as much damage, but a DRG has both elemental WSs, the Wyvern's breath, and-if you like using it-elemental weapons.

Later I wanna try and unlock NIN so I can see if DRG/NIN would be a good combo.
"Mithras make every job look sexy"

Name:Narufugihara
Job lvls: 18 WAR, 28 MNK, 37 WHM, 20 BLM, 6 BRD, 8 SMN, 25 DRG (Lumiere: [i]Light[/i]), 12 NIN, 7 THF

Crafts: GS-3, FISH-12, COOK-7, CC-1, WW-3
Swimsuit: Top +1 [X] Bottom +1 [X]

Mules: Narunarusagawa (all my mules are gonna start with Naru >^_^<)

NPC Friend: Yoli Kohlpaka

Jobs I plan to take to AF lvl: WHM, DRG
Jae
Tomcat

Post by Jae »

oh yea... favorite topic ^^

honestly everyone job is good
it just all depends how much you willing to put up for gears and food.

in end game... every dd is also good... but
most effiecent job would be samurai and ranger.
since ranger can hit without touching god... and samurai dont have to chase down kited gods to gain TP.

In mage side.. SMN and BLM is the best.. the thing is.. avatar normal hits will not do much dmg.. though their avatar blood pact can really hit hard.
Kateevia
Housecat

Post by Kateevia »

Even after the "adjustment" to Ranger it is still my favorite(with warrior sub) when it comes to kickin some bootay. With good gear and food and standing in the "sweet spot" I still hit for more then my other party members quite often. I watch the battle text closely and pat myself on the back everytime I do so. :D

:twisted: I'm so competitive it's sickening :twisted:
WHM60/BLM30/WAR30/RNG26/DRK22/RDM20
MNK20/NIN15/THF10/BRD4/SMN1/SAM1/BST1
Cooking 30, Clothcraft 9, Fishing 4
Here I am in all my Mithran glory....
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?103736
Kiren
Tomcat

Post by Kiren »

I will have to say Summoner/White Mage is the biggest damage dealer in the game.
[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kiren.png[/img][/url]
Level 31 THF/23 DRG/17 NIN/8 SMN/16 WAR/10 SAM
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

depends what type of damage. pure DOT, War/Nin is the best, followed closely by mnk/war. for maximum single damage output by far war/thf is the best (1900+ steel cyclone to IT mobs = wow!), SMN/whm is also up on the top with 800+ lvl 70 blood pacts every minute. SAM itself isnt a powerhouse, but the ability to skillchain quickly becomes very useful.

overandall, for its shere versitility, WAR is my favorite. the ability to tank, Deal the most DOT in the game, and deal the most max possible damage on one class make it my favorite DD job.

(if you want to know, war/nin and war/thf also do the max dot and max pure damage of any mele job all the way and including 75... kinda ironic)
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

I do yeild to War/Nin's, especilly in end game matters. But honestly, it really matters what you're fighting and at what level. King Ranpere's Tomb? Monk/anything. Lufaise Medows? Drg or Rng. Weapon type bonuses have to be taken into account.

Also, many people underestimate the power of a Wyvern. If you add up all the damage my Soleil does over the course of 2 hours in an exp pt, I will bet 50k gil it beats out a Smn's 2hr. Problem is, it's not spike, it's DoT.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

ill give you the drg wyvern's DOT ability. in my view drg damage is better at drk from lvl 1-65 and nearly matched after that. the thing is, thats only WITH your wyvern. without it, you drop to the lowest of the low... and since wyvern cant be healed, anything that has massive aoe is out of the question for drg. not to mention, anything with a cone based attack you have to be very careful not to get the wyvern in front of it.

i like drg... problem is thier wyvern dies to easily and even with spirit link, dies to easily to many types of mobs with AOE. making them only really good at fighting certain mobs... in my book, the most versitile jobs are the best jobs for a situation, and drg is too picky for many situations.
Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

Drg are constricted and versitle at the same time. What job can get away with having War, Thf, Sam, Whm, Rdm, and Blm all as acceptible subs, with even stuff like Nin and Brd acceptible given the situation?

Can Drk sub Whm solo the Sea Horror at 65? :P But Drg can. However, yes, after 60-65, Drg are outpaced. Mostly because our WS's are only good for certain things. Granted, we can Open/close Light/dark SC's. But unless given the right circumstances, endgame we're outmatched(in general). And yes, if we loose our Wyvern, things get tougher for us.

However, despite all that, I love Dragoon. It is a unique job with abilites that shine when you need them. Drg's don't have a "OH $HIT" 2-hr like Mnk, War, Pld, Thf, or others. But, we are very apt at making ourselves unnoticible. High Jump is an Anti-Voke as far as hate, and Super Jump clears all hate. If I match damage with the Drk in my party, he will always get hit first, simple fact. In that respect, Dragoons can save the Mage's MP by not needing to be healed as much. In general in pt's, I only ask for the occasional Regen spell when I have to Spirit Link. And because I'm not taking hits by the mobs like some other DD's, the Whm or Rdm usually don't mind.

By the way, I'm 50Drg and the last time my Wyvern died was in Yhutunga, 25 some levels ago. There is a very fine line you must learn in what your Wyvern can and cannot take. Learn what mobs to fight. Convince your party to go somewhere and fight non-aoe monsters. It's better Exp per hour if you have a Drg in your pt to fight non-aoe monsters, even better if you manage to fight birds or bats. ^.~
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.

Jae
Tomcat

Post by Jae »

Nivez wrote:depends what type of damage. pure DOT, War/Nin is the best, followed closely by mnk/war. for maximum single damage output by far war/thf is the best (1900+ steel cyclone to IT mobs = wow!), SMN/whm is also up on the top with 800+ lvl 70 blood pacts every minute. SAM itself isnt a powerhouse, but the ability to skillchain quickly becomes very useful.

overandall, for its shere versitility, WAR is my favorite. the ability to tank, Deal the most DOT in the game, and deal the most max possible damage on one class make it my favorite DD job.

(if you want to know, war/nin and war/thf also do the max dot and max pure damage of any mele job all the way and including 75... kinda ironic)
I guess ppl sees in different view
from what I think Warrior do good dmg but mnk can do more dmg...
just by chi blast... mnk do over 1.5k dmg.. ive seen mnk/thf with full swing(staff) doing 2.7k dmg so... -_-;

depends on different situation but im just saying >.> in endgame most efficient job would be rng,sam... since they dont have to chase down kited mobs or what not(also the skillchain they have to make etc...)

edited: oh yea and 1.7kdmg.. on IT mob.. RNG can pull out those kind of dmg too^^ on IT mob(with sidewinder). even without needed for subjob support ability.. e.g sata..berserk etc ^^
Nivez
Story Cat

Post by Nivez »

only other jobs that can get away with alot of subs are.

War (acceptable subs, thf nin mnk drk sam)

and Rdm (acceptable subs, blm whm smn nin brd drk)

but yes, drg can sub more things and be useful ;p. too bad its limited in what it can fight ; ;

as for end game... each job has a purpose... exept drg mostly (i havent found it yet)
Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

Drg's entire endgame purpose is to look cool. 8)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Susannah
Tomcat

Post by Susannah »

my boyfriend is a dragoon, he hits good damage without his wyvern. even moreso with his wyvern. i think dragoons just got a bad rep because of so many bad people, the good people get overlooked.
Seraph Server. Pirate leader of the SkeletonCrew.
August 5, 1958 - May 10, 2006
You never know how much your parents mean to you, until they're gone away. Cherish your time spent, for it may all disappear tomorrow. I miss you momma.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Susannah, I think it is because of the fad for dissing DRG on many boards. This is not one of them thank the goddess.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Screw you all, PLD/NIN ftw. :P

Just kidding, though I do deal out considerably more damage than I do as PLD/WAR...and the NIN's only at 12. >< Isn't that pitiful? A sub that's 17 levels lower, and I do more damage. >.>

PLD melee damage, {Can I have it?} :(
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Kintrra wrote:PLD melee damage, {Can I have it?} :(
Ummmm.... I always thought PLDs did decent damage with a Greatsword, not so?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

I have seen Pld's do some good dmg using Spirit's Within before in Valley of Sorrows. :D
Jae
Tomcat

Post by Jae »

trick to pld doing much dmg in sprits within is that
you must have full hp and 300% do full dmg..
other wise it will do small dmg based calculated on PLD's HP

this will most likely not see it unless pld that dont use his mp much and never rest to regain his mp.. which is bad pld ^^

im just letting you guys know ^^
Also i assume this PLD thing came out from XP pt..
bad pld uses 2handed sword... its either sword/shield or the earth staff
those ppl only know what their doing~
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Ambrey wrote:I have seen Pld's do some good dmg using Spirit's Within before in Valley of Sorrows. :D
Too bad that's the only way we can really do any damage...522 highest so far for me ^^

However, that being said, PLD might actually be able to match DDs for damage...if we were given the chance. Goin PLD/NIN and using my DDgear that I bought (Royal Knight's Chainmail, Royal Knight's breeches, RSE feet, Empress Hairpin, Spike Necklace, 2 DEX+2 rings, 2 Drone earrings, Jungle Belt, all said and told {if I remember right} I end up at STR+12 or so and DEX+18) I can nearly match a DRK65/NIN (both our NINs were same level at the time) for damage per hit. Nearly, but still not quite. So like I said, maybe we can match a DD for actual damage output, if we're given the chance. Unfortunately, since you don't usually see 2 PLDs in the same pt, that kinda doesn't leave us many options. it's tank or find another pt, at which point it's the same deal. Only time I get to DD is if I'm with some of my higher-up LS mates or friends who are tanking instead of myself. And the higher I get, the less often that occurs. XD

Holy crud that was a long post. ><

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Kintrra wrote:However, that being said, PLD might actually be able to match DDs for damage...if we were given the chance. Goin PLD/NIN and using my DDgear that I bought (Royal Knight's Chainmail, Royal Knight's breeches, RSE feet, Empress Hairpin, Spike Necklace, 2 DEX+2 rings, 2 Drone earrings, Jungle Belt, all said and told {if I remember right} I end up at STR+12 or so and DEX+18) I can nearly match a DRK65/NIN (both our NINs were same level at the time) for damage per hit. Nearly, but still not quite. So like I said, maybe we can match a DD for actual damage output, if we're given the chance....
OK, I hit 60 in a WIERD party.

Mostly a Japanese party hunting Raptors and Gobbies in Kuftal Tunnel. Me RDM/BLM, PLD, BRD, NIN, 2 DDs. Chain 5 and 6 a bunch. Hardly had to cure, maybe an average of two Cure IIs a fight, even had time to melee.

Here is the wierd part. As people were replaced a DD was replaced with a Taru RDM/BRD and it SPED THINGS UP!! :o

The PLD ran a Greatsword or an Earth Staff. I don't run a parser, so I don't know how much she did in damage, but she was a DD far more than a tank.

Question, Drone Earrings? Not Att+ earrings? I thought that AGI was for Evasion, Shield and Ranged Acc, am I missing something?

Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

Kintrra wrote:Goin PLD/NIN and using my DDgear that I bought (Royal Knight's Chainmail, Royal Knight's breeches, RSE feet, Empress Hairpin, Spike Necklace, 2 DEX+2 rings, 2 Drone earrings, Jungle Belt, all said and told {if I remember right} I end up at STR+12 or so and DEX+18) I can nearly match a DRK65/NIN (both our NINs were same level at the time) for damage per hit. Nearly, but still not quite. So like I said, maybe we can match a DD for actual damage output, if we're given the chance.
:?: Excuse me just a sec, am I missing something here? A class with Attack Bonus traits, plural, and a weapon with higher base damage, versus paladin. Granted the equipment setup you have, he still has passive and active traits that let him jack his damage up into the clouds.

Oh, and as far as DD, you may want something then a pair of +2 dex rings for mid 50's. ^.^; I'm poor, relatively, and even I have a Vernerer, Deft, and Puissance ring...
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Using the Drone earrings as AGI+ does help with my Shield block, and I've not had the opportunity (nor the thought in all honesty) to change them out, and the DEX+2 rings are still at that range because I use them for my THF20 as well. ^^; So yeah, I coudl upgrade that some more, Might even get me a couple STR+3 rings instead, since I've already got quite a bit of DEX+ without the rings. See what kind of damage I do then. ^^

Oh, and Eviticus, we were both {Dual Wield}ing at the time, him using a Wise Wizard's Anelace and a Darksteel Axe while I myself was using a Gluttony Sword and a Tactician Magician's Espadon. So those being a given, it's possible that my weapons were making the difference this time, but it's still odd that I managed to even nearly match a DRK in full AF for damage. I never claimed it was right, but it did happen. XD

Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

A Drk was using -those-? Of course you were out damaging him. :P It's like saying the Drg with a Lance out-damaged the dagger weilding Warrior. But yeah, I do know what you mean as a whole. My Pld is only 15, but I can do a damn good amount of damage for the dunes.....ooohh.....paladin.... ^.^

Full Republic gear, the HQ2 stuff, Everything HQ or HQ2. (Yes, even Stamina Rings +1, the ones with defense.) My HP and MP are godly, I have the defense of a brick wall shaped like a Galka, and the attack of a Warrior with a sword....and I can heal myself, yo.

Yeah, once Sam and War are to 37, I'm taking up Paladin for fun.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Hey, the weapons were near the same caliber as my own, so :P to you too. :lol:

Dawezy
Tomcat

Post by Dawezy »

<-- DRK he was skilling with ^_^

w/ 2 Swords (WW Anelace, Cerment Sword) the damage was fluctuating but I was generally doing better DoT. Aswell as the WS's being dished out ontop but all in all it was reasonably even, all these levels on we totally screw up the mobs because they dont know which one of us to attack.. back and forth, back and forth. Like its doing a dance XD

Should make a video sometime, heh.

When it comes to the 2H Weapons - the tables turn :D as you could well imagine. Heh heh.

But I wub my little Palady-waddy kitty ^_^ come'ere you.

(inside joke, dont ask XD)
~
[img]http://www.dawezy.com/ff11/Nibble.jpg[/img]
~

:D
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

Well I have played and played with many DDS, and DRG, DRK, WAR (if youuse 2H Axe or Sword) are about equal in DD power, the only thing that seperates them are abilities...and it is why I cant play my fav job combo in PTs because people give me that "that is a crappy combo" BS... DRG/WHM is just at strong as DRG/anything else....it just does not have the abilities
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

To quote my very first Manaburn PT's BLM= "See I Told you! She Can Tank AND DD. This Party is Prolly One Of The Best On Hades!" /blush :oops:

I sucked okay. I couldnt recast fast enough, I couldnt DD the highest. But with a party of mages cheering you on and not complaining about recasting magic in time.... how could you say no?
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Kailea
Mad Cat

Post by Kailea »

BLM does not count as a DD, because they use magic :p
all the jobs fit into a cotagory...and this is about DDs
examples:
WHM=healer
BLM=nuker
DRK=DD
MNK=DoT (damage over time)
Cecil-FFIV: I'm just a knight with no courage to disobey his Majesty.....
Kain-FFIV: I am aware of my actions, but can do nothing about them.....
Eviticus

Post by Eviticus »

By that logic I'm not sure you can call Drg DD or DoT, as they have strong elements in both. With the constant damage the Wyvern adds, it's generally been accepted that they are a DoT job. However, their WS's are nothing to laugh at, and their weapons themselves have nearly as high as a base damage as the Scythe's.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~