Just something to learn about everyone (Anime)

A place to talk about... anything!

Do you watch anime/read Mangas?

Yes
95%
No
5%

Total votes: 37

Naru Fugihara
Big Cat

Just something to learn about everyone (Anime)

Post by Naru Fugihara »

I just wanted to start this out of pure curiosity.

The poll is just a simple yes or no and then I'd like those who vote to post a reply giving more detail to the yes or the no.

I'll start this off by answering yes.

I watch lots of anime on TV and DVD and I'm trying to get the Anime Network on my Dish Network service so that I'll have even more anime to watch on TV :thumb: . My DVD collection consists of the following:

Armitage III (movie form not OVA)
Armitage Dual Matrix
IkkiTousen Vols. 1-4
I.R.I.A: ZEIRAM THE ANIMATION (Digitally remastered on 3 DVDs and came in a sweet collector's tin :2thumb:
Essential Anime Collection: Martian Successor Nadesico Collections 1-3 (my #2 favorite)
Martian Successor Nadesico The Motion Picture: Prince of Darkness(sequal to the series so it's also counted as my #2 favorite)
Neon Genesis Evangelion: Platinum 01-07 (very good but last 2~3 episodes confused me :? )
Outlaw Star: Complete Collection (came in a collector's box with all 6 DVDs)
Please Teacher! Vols. 1-4 (#1 favorite :2thumb: )

I also have the DVD sneak peak of Steamboy (Suncoast gave one copy free with any anime purchase).

I also collect English mangas, but that's a longer list than my DVDs so I'm not gonna put them all down. I'm just gonna put my #1 and #2 favorites down and which sets I still have to complete.

#1 Favorite set: Ai Yori Aoshi (Incomplete-have up to Vol 8. About 4~5 more to come.)
#2 Favorite set: Psychic Academy (Incomplete-have up to Vol 7. About 2~4 more to come.)
I also still have Negima!, Naruto, and Battle Vixens to complete when the publishers release more of them.

Counting the incomplete sets I have a grand total of 10 sets with 14 books being the longest for one set (those who know anime can probably guess what the name of the set is :wink: )

If you want to know the names of the rest of my book sets either bug me enough in this thread (making sure that you vote and have part of the post explaining your answer) or send me a PM.

Also if you say no tell us why (Example: My sis doesn't like anime because she watched a little of Please Teacher! when I was watching it and she said it was stupid and thinks that all animes are like Please Teacher!).
"Mithras make every job look sexy"

Name:Narufugihara
Job lvls: 18 WAR, 28 MNK, 37 WHM, 20 BLM, 6 BRD, 8 SMN, 25 DRG (Lumiere: [i]Light[/i]), 12 NIN, 7 THF

Crafts: GS-3, FISH-12, COOK-7, CC-1, WW-3
Swimsuit: Top +1 [X] Bottom +1 [X]

Mules: Narunarusagawa (all my mules are gonna start with Naru >^_^<)

NPC Friend: Yoli Kohlpaka

Jobs I plan to take to AF lvl: WHM, DRG
Maisha
Kitten

anime

Post by Maisha »

well, i have over 4k (U.S. dollars) in anime dvds at the moment and the collection is still growing^^; as for the mangas........ over 80 books at the moment. :oops:
Paragon of Red Mage Excelence
Maisha

[img]http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y232/maisha35/sig.jpg[/img]
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

I'm an anime fan, like I have been for the last 15/16 years now.
In those years I've grown quite a knowledge about this topic and have built quite a collection of 100+ tapes and 75ish dvds.
Next to that I own about 150 manga.
(about 75% of the collection is Japanese shounen jump comic series.)

As a second job I work for Nekotachi Entertainment.
This is a company in the BeNeLux (Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourgh) that releases anime dvd's.
I do their subtitle editing.

My favorite anime would be that brought out before the year 2000,
with the exception of a few.
Cowboy Bebop, Wolf's Rain, Samurai Champloo and other titles by Bones.
And I'm a big fan of the productions by Production IG. (Innocense, Stand alone complex, Blood the last vampire, etc.)

Ow and I don't like Naruto very much.
Last edited by Shirai on Tue May 24, 2005 6:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Yukira
Feral Cat

Post by Yukira »

Oh, yes...I'm rather new to Anime since I started watching it only 2½ years ago. So, here's my meager collection: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime ... in%20Riker

And here's what I've seen so far: http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/MyAnime ... in%20Riker

Call me weird if you will, but I don't read Manga. I have no interest in it whatsoever. I just don't see the point when you can watch animated stuff with music, sounds and voice actors. :)
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Inuyasha
Cowboy Bebop
Last Exile ( I love this one )
Neo Genesis
Some and i emphasize Some..Dragonball, Z, GT..Some meaning the good eps.
Outlaw Star
Appleseed
And a bunch I cannot think of atm.
Mielu
Kitten

Anime I've seen or own

Post by Mielu »

Series:
Inuyasha
Excel Saga
Hellsing
Record of Lodoss war
Cowboy Bebop
.hack//SIGN
FLCL :?
Escaflowne
Master Keaton
Blue Gender (thank you Tivia) - the one where the aliens have taken over earth and some dudes were frozen and have to kill them.

Movies:
Spirited Away
Princess Mononoke
Samuri X (Trust & Betrayal)
Initial D
Vampire hunter D
Last edited by Mielu on Tue May 24, 2005 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mielu - San d'Orian Mithra Rank 5
57 WHM - 34 BLM - 20 SMN (Shiva only) - 35 DRG - 26 THF - 15 RDM - 15 BST - 7 RNG
http://ffxi.allakhazam.com/profile.xml?22806
Cooking: 41 Clothcraft: 4
Current Project: WHM AF Body and Gloves, {Erase} {Can I have it?}, Blm to 40
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

Appleseed
Arc the Lad 1-6
Azumanga Daioh 1-6
Blood: The Last Vampire
Chobits 1-7
Chrono Crusade 1
Comic Party 1
Cosplay Complex
Cowboy Bebop 1-6 & movie
Dragon Half
Dragon Pink
Esclaflone movie
Excel Saga 1-6
Five Star Stories
Final Fantasy: Unlimited 1-7
FLCL 1-3
Full Metal Alchemist 1
Ghost in the Shell second movie
Ghost in the Shell: Standalone Complex 1-5
Gravion 1
Gravion: Zwei 1
Gundam Wing 1-10
.Hack//Sign 1-6
.Hack//Legend of Twilight Bracelet 1-3
Hellsing 1-4
Inuyasha movie #1
Jin Roh

Love Hina (have no idea how many DVDs. It is a "Perfect Collection", so it is the complete works of Love Hina that has been released)

Magical Play
Magical Shopping Arcade Abinabashi 1
Martian Successor Nadesico 1-6 & first movie
Metropolis
Mezzo 1-3
Miami Guns 1
Moblesuit Gundam 1 (VHS)
Moble Suit Gundam 0080: War in the Pocket 1-2
Moblesuit Gundam: Char's Counterattack
Neon Genesis Evangelion 1-8 Director's Cut 1-2 Movie 1-2 Platinum 1-7
Otaku no Video
Panyo Panyo Di Gi Charot 1-2
Puni Puni Poemy
Read or Die OAV
Read or Die TV 1
Robotech Legacy set 1-2 (each set is 3 DVDs)
Robotech Macross Saga
Robotech Masters Saga
Robotech New Generation Saga
Shamanic Princess
Super Milk-Chan 1
Trigun 1-8
Urusei Yatsura 2-10
Urusei Yatsura Movie #2: Beautiful Dreamer
Urusei Yatsura OAV 1&2
Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust
Witch Hunter Robin 1
X 1-8

...and this is just what i remember having, around 180 DVD i should have
Last edited by Tinacat on Tue May 24, 2005 6:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JediKitsune
Mad Cat

Post by JediKitsune »

The only anime I actually own is the 2nd Tenchi Muyo movie on VHS and Castle in the Sky on DVD.

The rest of my anime is on my computer in AVI/OGG/MKV format. I have a lot of series, but I'm not sure I should list them. Gah, what the hell.

Naruto (up to 100)
sCRYed
Xenosaga the Animation (currently obtaining last few episodes)
Mahoromatic Season 1
Kaze No Tani No Naushika (Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind)
Tonari No Totoro (My Neighbor Totoro)
Serial Experiment Lain
Outlaw Star
BECK (Up to ep.4 so far)
Girls Bravo Season 1
UFO Princess Valkyrie Season 2
Najica Blitz Tactics (...Not sure, I THINK I have all of it.)
Read or Die OVA (I have it SOMEWHERE on disc. Can't find it at the moment)
Wolf's Rain
Grenadier ~Hohoemi No Senshi~ (8 Episodes)
Sonic Adventure the Movie (Based off Sonic X...sorta)
Sonic Adventure 2 the Movie (see above)
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Re: Anime I've seen or own

Post by Tivia »

Mielu wrote:Series:
Inuyasha
Excel Saga
Record of Lodoss war
Cowboy Bebop
.hack//SIGN
FLCL :?
Escaflowne
Master Keaton
(something) Blue - the one where the aliens have taken over earth and some dudes were frozen and have to kill them.
Blue Gender

Oh yea and I forgot Witch Hunter Robin is another favorite of mine I own.
Aesha Clan-Clan
Big Cat

Post by Aesha Clan-Clan »

i have all my DVDs stored in military Ammo boxes (hey, they fit DVDs perfectly) for easy access and transportation, i only have enough to fit 6 ammo boxes at the moment, that number would be going up to like 8 at the next anime convention. but ive decided to go on a little weekend vacation instead of going there. im currently watching 11 different animes, including Bleach (/hurray), Naurto (/cheer), and Tsubasa Chronicle (/clap). im not a big manga fan, i do enjoy some, but for the most part, i prefer anime.
A catgirl is a woman or girl with cat ears and a cat tail, but an otherwise human body; they are found semi-commonly in anime and manga either as a form of cosplay or actual body parts, as well as in a few videogames. Catgirls wishing to look especially cute will wear over-sized mittens and shoes that look like paws. Fans unfamilar with the Japanese obsession with kawaii sometimes point out catgirls act more like kittens than grown cats, who can be aloof and surly.
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

I absolutely HATE and frown appon down loading anime
Naru Fugihara
Big Cat

Post by Naru Fugihara »

:shock: *stares at the lists of collections*
Yukira wrote:Call me weird if you will, but I don't read Manga. I have no interest in it whatsoever. I just don't see the point when you can watch animated stuff with music, sounds and voice actors. :)
One reason I read mangas is when they have show based on them and compaire the differences between them. Like the difference between Chobits (Manga) and Chobits (DVD) and the difference between Battle Vixens (Manga) and IkkiTousen (Adaptation of Battle Vixens). Most of my Mangas are of love stories (I'm a sucker for them :oops: ) like A.I. Love You and Love Hina.
Tinacat wrote:Love Hina (have no idea how many DVDs. It is a "Perfect Collection", so it is the complete works of Love Hina that has been released)
I've been trying to get those DVDs in town, but only find about 2-3 of them. Though I do always find the complete movie collection for Love Hina.

I can't wait for Naruto to come to the states so that I can get it (already have vols. 1-6 of the manga). I also heard that Negima is gonna be made into an anime *eyes beem with excitement* :2thumb: .

Job lvls: 18 WAR, 28 MNK, 37 WHM, 20 BLM, 6 BRD, 8 SMN, 25 DRG (Lumiere: [i]Light[/i]), 12 NIN, 7 THF

Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Naru Fugihara wrote: I also heard that Negima is gonna be made into an anime *eyes beem with excitement* :2thumb: .
Negima has been made into an anime already by studio Xebec.
(Nadesico, Uuchu no Stelvia, etc.)
The first episode of Negima aired in Japan last January on TV-Tokyo and TV-Osaka.

As far as I know the TV series also has been licensed in the US.
Tinacat
Feral Cat

Post by Tinacat »

Downloading anime makes fetal baby Jesus cry

http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/050516.jpg

...and if only 4Kids really did get the licence to Naruto
http://www.vgcats.com/comics/images/050418.jpg
Kotomo
Tomcat

Post by Kotomo »

Berk! english dubbing, not always very good except on a few occasions. Like Golden Boy, the voice for Kintaro seems very well done. Plus he easily changes his tone when needed instead of being flat. Well that's one of my favorite anime down. K, time for a List I guess.

Chobits
.hack//sign
Inuyasha
Tenchi Muyo
Neon Genisis: Evangelion
Hellsing
Trigun
Cowboy Bebop
Gundam Wing
Love Hina
His and Hers Circumstances
FLCL
Lupin the Thrid
Devil Hunter Yhoko
And this is one that seems to be very lost is Samurai Pizza Cats or in the un-buchered version Kyatto Ninden Teyandee. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Shrine/8650/ Aparently Saban Entertainment, the guys behind Power Rangers(augh) still own the rights to that show and haven't released it on DVD or the sort. The deal is, they completely tore down the japanese show, re-wrote the scripts, changed the names of the characters, composed new music for it and cut out any goriness so they could show it to kids, when that's not who it was really meant for. I would love to see the japanese version of this show but I don't think that will ever happen unless Saban dies. So all I have of this show is some downloads of the english version and two episodes recorded on VHS from when it used to be aired on WB kids.

Oh yeah, movies.
Practically all Hayao Miyasaki works :P Seen a good majority of them.
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Macross Plus
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Both Inu movies that have been released in US.

Well for right now that's all I can think of. I have some manga but it's not very much and I don't read much of that as I watch Anime. I'm sure there is more anime that I have not mentioned up above and I do want to watch many of the new ones that are out there and catch up on old ones too. I just need to get my busy self around to doing it. Don't watch too much anime on TV 'cause well...I don't like TV much anymore. It's gotten kind of crappy to me lately. :P
Last edited by Kotomo on Tue May 24, 2005 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
[img]http://kotomo.is-a-geek.org/pics/kotomo_signature2.jpg[/img]
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/jackrabbit62][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/os/type/2/jackrabbit62.png[/img][/url]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Been reading Magna since... ummmm... I forget, at least the 80s. Watching Anime since a friend turned me on to Captian Harlock (sp?), 18 - 20 years now.

My magna colection dissapeared with a lot of my comics in the late 90s.

Don't own any Anime, don't have to, my best friend has a GRRREAT colection.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Kotomo wrote:Berk! english dubbing, not always very good except on a few occasions. Like Golden Boy, the voice for Kintaro seems very well done. Plus he easily changes his tone when needed instead of being flat. Well that's one of my favorite anime down. K, time for a List I guess.
Golden Boy had a great dub indeed,
another show that they really did their best on was Ah, Megami-sama.(Ah, my Goddess)
Excell Saga wasn't too badly done by ADV either, even with the fact that they had to replace the english voice actress of excell after episode 4 due to voice problems. :lol:
And this is one that seems to be very lost is Samurai Pizza Cats or in the un-buchered version Kyatto Ninden Teyandee. http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/Shrine/8650/ Aparently Saban Entertainment, the guys behind Power Rangers(augh) still own the rights to that show and haven't released it on DVD or the sort. The deal is, they completely tore down the japanese show, re-wrote the scripts, changed the names of the characters, composed new music for it and cut out any goriness so they could show it to kids, when that's not who it was really meant for. I would love to see the japanese version of this show but I don't think that will ever happen unless Saban dies. So all I have of this show is some downloads of the english version and two episodes recorded on VHS from when it used to be aired on WB kids.
Wow I didn't know that, that's nice to know.
SPC is one of my childhood favorites, still the english show is very funny.
The Japanese version was a bit more serious.
Oh yeah, movies.
Practically all Hayao Miyasaki works :P Seen a good majority of them.
Ghost in the Shell
Akira
Macross Plus
Gundam Wing: Endless Waltz
Both Inu movies that have been released in US.
Macross Plus is actually a 4 episode OVA.
The movie is very good, but a lot of details that make the story between Isamu, Myung and Guld more interesting and explain the situation are kept out of the movie.
Kotomo
Tomcat

Post by Kotomo »

mmmm yeah, I watched the 4 episodes a long time ago and then got the movie on DVD a few years ago. Oh well, my mistake.
[img]http://kotomo.is-a-geek.org/pics/kotomo_signature2.jpg[/img]
[url=http://profile.xfire.com/jackrabbit62][img]http://miniprofile.xfire.com/bg/os/type/2/jackrabbit62.png[/img][/url]
Naru Fugihara
Big Cat

Post by Naru Fugihara »

Tsybil wrote:Don't own any Anime, don't have to, my best friend has a GRRREAT colection.
Oooooohhhhhh yyyyeeeeaaaa. :2thumb: I've been there, had a friend I haven't seen in a long time be my source.

On New Year Day she brought me the complete Jubei-Chan collection, complete I.R.I.A collection, and the complete Vandread and Vandread: Second Stage.

You could tell that she's been collecting for a while because Jubei-Chan, I.R.I.A, and the first 6 episodes of Vandread were on VHS and the rest of Vandread and Vandread: Second Stage were on DVD.

Once we lost touch, I just started building my own collection from the ground up.

Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Ka-Chan's Complete Collection (well what I share with my b/f)

Complete Saber Marionette J DVD Box Set
Complete Rurouni Kenshin Premium Box Sets
Complete Samurai X DVD Box Sets
INuyahsa Season 1 Box Set
EVERY TEEN TITANS EP ON MY PC/LAPTOP
Love HIna Collection/OVAs
Complete 08th MS Team DVD Collection Including the OVA Miller's Report
Inuyasha Movies 1-3
Compete Wolf's Rain Box Set Collection

manga: SUIKODEN III, SABER MARIONETTE J, LOVE HINA, WOLFS RAIN, CHOBITS DAMMIT! :)
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
kashell
Tomcat

Post by kashell »

used to watch it but now I don't :roll:
kashell
Tomcat

Post by kashell »

used to watch it but now I don't :roll:
Baketsu
Feral Cat

Post by Baketsu »

I watch waaaaaaayy to much anime, it even cuts into my FFXI time!!! I own all of the Ranma 1/2 DVD's and quite a few Pokemon and DBZ DVD's also i adore Nadesico and Tenchi Muyo series as well. I like EVA fopr a romp, but still can't get what the whole intent was "other to blow stuff up of course". I like anime that make you experience emotions and make you cry. i was bawling over Brig Gen Maye's death in Fulll Metal alchemist!!

Anyway, Anime is good, but I also like live action stuff like Farscape and Babylon 5 and Deep Space Nine, so i guess i am a Nerd.
Jobs: RDM-54/BLM-32/WHM-26/PLD-23/THF14-WAR17-MNK8-DRG17-DRK18-BST3-RNG3-SMN7-BRD1
Race: Elvaan
Hometown: San d'Oria
Skills: Cooking 23- Smithing 3
EXP is hard to come by, treasure it!
Neoshinobi
Mad Cat

Post by Neoshinobi »

The {question} has arrised: Who said "no"? :shock:
kashell
Tomcat

Post by kashell »

Neoshinobi wrote:The {question} has arrised: Who said "no"? :shock:
:?: :roll:
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

The nice thing about series that have good english voice actors for anime dubs end up beinc voice actors in video games as well.

like the voice actress of Beldandy in AMG ended up also doing the voice of Natsume in the .hack/ video games. I also think she did May in Hand Maid May as well.

Too bad the english voice acting in Armatage the Third wasnt better... it would have rocked. it would have been better if they had the japanese track on with it...
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Kahvi wrote: Too bad the english voice acting in Armatage the Third wasnt better... it would have rocked. it would have been better if they had the japanese track on with it...
Actually this series is originally english spoken.
This OVA was made by Japanese in cooperation with American storywriters.
There are several more productions out there, Vampire hunter D bloodlust is one of them.

And my opinion of Armitage III, I like the dub better.
Thanatos02
Kitten

Post by Thanatos02 »

I watch anime in the same way that I persue all media - it has to grab my attention first and then I consider it.

As it is, I've watched my fair share, and I'm media relations in the SIUE campus anime club, so I guess I'm waist deep by now.

I don't own much. Lots of Ghost in the Shell, Tenchi!, Noir... Serial Experiments Lain is possibly my favorite media thing ever...
Fear not: for no-one can obstruct
Our passage: it is decreed so on high.
Await me here. Comfort your weary soul
And feed it with high hopes till I return;
For I will not forsake you here in Hell.
- [i]The Divine Comedy of Dante Alighieri[/i]
[i] Canto 8 [/i]
Kahvi
Krazy Kat

Post by Kahvi »

Shirai wrote:
Kahvi wrote: Too bad the english voice acting in Armatage the Third wasnt better... it would have rocked. it would have been better if they had the japanese track on with it...
Actually this series is originally english spoken.
This OVA was made by Japanese in cooperation with American storywriters.
There are several more productions out there, Vampire hunter D bloodlust is one of them.

And my opinion of Armitage III, I like the dub better.
I was talking about the movie.. seriously Kiefer Sutherland was not the best choice for Ross Syllibus imho. and the person that did Ross in Dual Matrix was just as bad. A japanese language track would have saved me from that pain and torment. Every line that was said reminded me of 7th grade bio class with that teacher that was so atonic it put you to sleep.
Windurst Rank 10
Fight together, die together, leave no one behind.

[url=http://www.sloganizer.net/en/][img]http://www.sloganizer.net/en/style7,Kahvi.png[/img][/url]
Tamarik
Tomcat

Post by Tamarik »

I wish Ziada would come in here and shame you ALL with his collection. It's gotta be over $10k....
[img]http://www.lionking.org/~tamarik/sigs/ml-tamsig.gif[/img]