Went to Anime Expo 2013 in a skirt.

A place to talk about... anything!
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Went to Anime Expo 2013 in a skirt.

Post by Fiye »

Best way to go to a convention, obviously.

Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Re: Went to Anime Expo 2013 in a skirt.

Post by Shirai »

That yours Fiye?

Anyhow, I still say the best way to visit conventions is as an organizer of one.

Aside from traveling costs I haven't paid for entry to any European convention since 2004.
Aside from some other perks. :)
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

I've heard wonderful stories about being a part of organizing the conventions.

But yeah, I'm on the left (As Aya Shameimaru from Touhou Project), with my wife dressed up as Yuyuko, and our daughter as Youmu.

We'd hear someone cry out, "Oh my god! Baby Youmu!" every couple of minutes as we walked to the gathering. Though, I won't do this again until she's older, too many people to wandering around with a 1 year old.
Krissy
Tomcat

Post by Krissy »

Those are some well done costumes. No idea who you are (more like I've not seen what they're from) but they have some nice details.
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

I can't recall the last time I paid for a convention either... but I have two clothing hangers packed with media badges :)
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

I used to photograph my way into / through Sci-Fi cons back in the silver nitrate era.

I don't mind a job during a con but ConCom isn't a job, its a way of life, and not mine.

As to anime cons... in Seattle we used to have the unfortunately named Bakacon, now we have Sakuracon. Its run by graduates of Norwescon's ConCom who discovered that you can get any venue in the western world if you don't mind competing against Jesus. IE Easter weekend.

So both cons are on the same weekend, Easter. Norwescon has dances and people I know and sew for. I maybe make one day of Sakuracon every few years.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Woah.. wait, you go to Norwescon? o.o I had gone for the last five years. Clearly I missed the 'good' part of the con :)
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Wish I had people to go to cons with over here, not like there's many to go to and they're usually booked up a year in advance :(
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Mystiana wrote:Woah.. wait, you go to Norwescon? o.o I had gone for the last five years. Clearly I missed the 'good' part of the con :)
Good parts for me are seeing old friends and the dances. Remunerative parts are picking up and delivering orders.
Sugami wrote:Wish I had people to go to cons with over here, not like there's many to go to and they're usually booked up a year in advance :(
wow.... I can walk into Norwescon, the second largest Sci-Fi con on the west coast, on Fri, the second day, and passes are available.

I know England is a small but I didn't think it affected your hotels and convention spaces.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

It's been like 10 years since I've been to one so I guess there's probably a few more now, back in the days there were only 3 I were aware of, one in Southampton, one in Northampton and one in Leicester (university). I went to Minami Con (8?) with the anime society, we booked two hotel rooms between 10 of us or so. Aya Con by myself the following year and they were all booked out of hotel rooms so I had to book one near by and get a taxi to where it was being held, wasn't nearly as fun. Think I tried looking into one of them the following year about half a year before and found out it was already fully booked.

Now the MCM Expo I walked in without prebooking but that was a 3 hour queue, which sucked serious balls. Even though it's a 3 day thing you only go for the day, best to take the Friday off when it's not completely packed and book to avoid the queuing.