Three years of stress gone poof.

A place to talk about... anything!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Three years of stress gone poof.

Post by Tivia »

So after three years of struggling in odd jobs and barely making ends meet I finally got a job offer with the company I have been trying to get into. I finally got a job offer from Philips Respironics in bio medial IT. The only downside is it requires me to move to CA. Well not so much a downside as just a complete uprooting of everything and every place I know.

I will find out early next week the details. Just like that three years of stress and frustration..GONE. Replaced by nervous anticipation of the unknown. :shock:
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Re: Three years of stress gone poof.

Post by Shirai »

Good luck, I went through the same at the end of last year.
Except the moving part.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

After three years of stress and frustration

You've been hired!

But you must move to the left coast.

Also, we meant to say you would be WORKED ON in the medical biotech IT dept.

There might be some minor side-effects.
ImageImage

But nothing permanent.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

ROFL omg Asphe that just made my day. :rofl:

I will say there is one advantage of moving...No more shitty Ga blue laws. Good bye bible belt and Good Riddance!
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Hi Asphe, long time no see! :)
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

You're going to love the weather at the very least Tivia!

I've been in SC for the last year and a half, and both summers sucked. Just visited my family in CA, and the weathe rwas nice enough that I was wearing a jacket outside on the fourth.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

That is what I am hoping as I am utterly sick of Ga weather. It is just stupidly hot and muggy this time of year here. The funny thing is everyone around here tries to console you by saying "At least this isn't Fla". Then they are shocked to find out that in Fla the weather is way better in most areas. While it tends to get just as hot during the summer, it is a rare day there isn't a storm that knocks it down about 15 degrees and eliminates most of the humidity. The heat and humidity in Ga are way worse because it is inland and there is no coastal breeze. I am from Fla and find this place just unbearable.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Good news Everyone!

It appears that location is entirely preferential. Meaning..Holy sh*t my coverage area is huge.. So since I cover Washington, Oregon, CA, Arizona I can essentially live anywhere. Though it does appear that northern CA would be the optimal place to give me easy access to family type stuff.

That said, Do any of my west coasters have any input on desirable living areas?

Things of interest:
I will be renting so nice location with decent rent value is preferred. The more room I can get for the money the better.
Quality elementary schools as my daughter is entering kindergarten
Easy driving access to things like Disney, Beaches or other family oriented things.
Easy access to a major airport is a must
High speed internet with little or no data cap bullshit (don't suggest dsl)
Decent cost of living standards. In other words, no you need to make 100k to still live in poverty insanity. For example on 40k around here I can afford a townhouse about 1500sq/ft for around $1000-$1300/mo. That is pretty acceptable. I have two children so the square footage makes a noticeable difference.
Access to some nice farmers market/asian markets would really be helpful. We eat a TON of Bok choy and things like that and affording that stuff at places like publix is craziness not to mention sub par in quality. We go though about $100 every other week in fresh vegetables and eat little to no box stuff anymore outside pasta.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

I've actually heard A LOT of good things about Seattle, WA.

Southern California... I'd avoid Greater Los Angeles like the plague. Used to live in the Orange County region, its pretty nice.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

North is good. San Francisco, Vancouver's out right? I liked San Diego, loved Seattle but have no clue about the education prospects there.

For education, one should research the school district. Sometimes, the zany and 'just right' are adjacent to each other. Or a great neighbourhood might have a rotten school, because the PTA has gone bonkers. Needless to say, avoid the Greater LA educational disaster zones. Uniformly bad. Now that you have a job, why not keep your present (abject proverty) life-style and send the kids to private school ^-^.

My present life style isn't abject poverty, I was just referring to some of the crazy cost of living I have heard about areas in CA.

Private school is the "Overwhelming" preference. I have nearly zero faith in the public US education system to teach our kids to do much more then breathe and drool. Teaching tests, isn't educating.
- Apparently I was half paying attention and hit edit on Asphe's post instead of reply lol.. Tivia
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

For cost of living, CA is right out. ALL of it. High housing prices, high energy prices, and a dysfunctional state government that will lead to poor schools and, eventually, higher taxes. Marin (sp?) county (just across the SF bay bridge to the north of SF) is probably the best option in N CA, but it will not be the cheapest.

In OR I can recommend Eugine (sp?) for schools, but airport access is down the tube. And if your politics are at all conservative you will feel out of place. The Portland area has a lot of what you want, but check ALL the suburban cities as far as public schools.

I love Seattle, but the public schools there aren't that good, and will rapidly worsen, again check the suburban cities around the sound. Tacoma has just as good airport access, but I know little to nothing about its schools although I fear the worst for every WA school district. Vancouver WA is a suburb of Portland and almost as convenient to its airport. Otherwise I know nothing about it.

Most of WA is on public power, read cheap power. Housing prices Seattle > Tacoma > Portland. Airport access Portland > Seattle > Tacoma.

There are organizations that rate school districts. Find their web sites, learn their prejudices and rating systems, and do check a lot of them.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

From what I am seeing, most of Orange County, Fresno area and areas surrounding SF are honestly very close to my current here. That all said, no place is out of the question yet.

The Airport requirement is absolute, there is no flexibility in it. 98% of my jobs I will be on a plane and I would rather not be traveling 4 hours to get to the airport to sit on a plane for another 4 hours.

As for my politics, honestly I don't consider them important. I am more of a moderate then anything else but frankly the entire system is broken at this point and I haven't seen a non scumbag politician in years. As for dealing with the locals, I currently live in the bible belt of the south and am stuck dealing with the extreme religious right. Anything less is a huge improvement. It isn't that I mind people being religious, I just mind having it shoved down my throat everyday.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Well, looks like this is moot. They called me today and retracted the position in favor of a candidate they had in portland already.

However, instead they gave me Orlando, Fla which is where I wanted in the first place. I am So Freaking Stoked!!!!! I have to wait a few more weeks as it doesn't officially open till mid august, but that is completely ok.
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Glad to hear you got what you wanted. >3
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

can I have your job instead of a dead end career?
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Congrats!!

Can't much help with Orlando, the last time I knew central FL at all well was ... before Disney. :oops:

I would remind you about the old real estate saying. "Only three things matter, location, location, and location."

IMHO, for a parent the only location that maters AT ALL is the school district.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I am from the orlando area, so I know it quite well.