MIA for a bit

A place to talk about... anything!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

MIA for a bit

Post by Tivia »

So...

Last month my motherboard goes out and results in a new cpu/motherboard/ram. Mainly because the MB I used is no longer available and I'll be damned if I was going to downgrade to a shitty motherboard.

A few weeks ago the wireless on my router started going flaky on me. Appears I need a new router. I was pushing it off because I can't get another one for less then $150 and christmas and such is coming up. Plus the wireless is only for streaming which I can live without for a few weeks.

Last night however my psu just up and died. No drama or anything just power off, have a nice fucking day. So with all the expenses from christmas and holidays, sh*t I had to fix on my car..oh don't forget my one car completely died. My computer is just gonna be out of commission for a bit. I just flat can't afford $150 for a new psu right now (don't even suggest I buy a cheapo pos special, I don't plan to burn up the rest of my hardware).

Will be back when I can. At least I have assassins creed brotherhood to entertain me for now.
Keerith
Metal Cat

Re: MIA for a bit

Post by Keerith »

Damn, sucks to hear that. Hope to see you back soon.
-Keerith
See you later, space cowboy!

[FFXIV: Keerith Galeo, Priestess of Ormagöden]

"Can't bend what's made of metal / We're reinforced with steel / We never will surrender / We never kneel." - Made of Metal, by Dream Evil
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

But if you don't log in who will I bore the LS with Car Talk with :rofl:
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I will make Aamria log in and you can bore her. She hated the eclipse. :rofl:
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

/comfort

I have worse, more expensive stories currently, but they do not involve my computer.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Oh the past 2 months has been a Joy Tsybil.

Uninsured chick smashes the rear of my car - $1000 out of my pocket.
Timing belt pops no long after, bending all the rods and warping the head. $2000
Motherboard,cpu,ram - $600
Now a PSU - $150 likely more.
Wireless router $150

And all that doesn't even start to get into all the stuff I am paying for right now with my baby due in jan, easily another couple grand there. Then trying to provide christmas for my 4 year old..the list goes on and on and god what a crazy end of the year. :shock:
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:Oh the past 2 months has been a Joy Tsybil.

Uninsured chick smashes the rear of my car - $1000 out of my pocket.
Timing belt pops no long after, bending all the rods and warping the head. $2000
Motherboard,cpu,ram - $600
Now a PSU - $150 likely more.
Wireless router $150

And all that doesn't even start to get into all the stuff I am paying for right now with my baby due in jan, easily another couple grand there. Then trying to provide christmas for my 4 year old..the list goes on and on and god what a crazy end of the year. :shock:
If your baby turns out like me it'll be 10 grand easily. Baby's First M16 :D
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

OK, I cannot match the expense of a baby.

Congrrrats BTW.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

So then, due to a few unexpected and welcome side jobs I managed to get a new psu ordered. It arrived last night. However apparently a standard ATX psu is now no longer the same as it was when I bought my first one and the BLEEPING thing won't fit in my case.

Old PSU - Enermax Liberty 620w Modular PSU and it fit snug as a bug in a rug in my Lian-li case. As obvious, neither my case nor psu are cheap parts by any stretch of the imagination. So one would "Assume" that any standard 600-650w class top shelf modular psu would fit without issue. Evidently that assumption is wrong because the new version of the "SAME DAMN PSU" is just ever so slightly wider and taller then the old one and will not fit in my case. :x Really? F-ing Really? Unbloodybelievable.

I am much calmer today writing this post then I was last night. Believe me I was utterly enraged last night. So much so that I left my computer spread out in pieces all over the table while I loaded Assassins Creed:Brotherhood up and proceeded to smash peoples faces for a few hours. It is like there is a Freaking conspiracy between psu manufacturers and case manufacturers to force people to buy a new flipping case. Yes my lian-li is about 6 years old, but because it is a high end case and I don't treat it like garbage you couldn't tell it isn't brand new outside me telling you, plus it was designed to last that long hence their price. Not a single dent, warp, scratch or otherwise. Heck it took me 20 minutes just to get my old psu removed due to how crazy particular I am about wire management. ARRGHHH This just annoys the living sin out of me. So I either gotta hope one of the few brands I will willingly buy has a psu that isn't oddly sized or I gotta scrounge up $400 for another freaking case. :cry:

Edit:
So apparently all the older ATC psu's are 5.5" wide but all the new ones are 5.9" wide. So if you have a case like mine where the old standard fit perfectly, you are now fucked.

Fucking Awesome.

So now I get to bloody try and find a new lian-li case..Like that is going to happen before christmas..UGH.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Angry Kitty is Angry. :?:
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Yes, angry kitty was very angry.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Speaking of which Karou, I have been meaning to ask...

If I recall correctly you are running a 4g63t engine in your eclipse right? How many hp do you have that thing putting out these days? (Yup, I just hijacked my own rant thread so don't take it personally if I hijack yours).
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

At the moment, none. We got a blizzard dumped on us and I don't have access to a dyno to get her current numbers. Give me a few days to make a couple calls and see if I can get a shop to give her some dyno time.
xaresity
Queen Cat

Post by xaresity »