What do you run XIV on? Now also Vroom~~ Cars!!

A place to talk about... anything!
Red_Xix
Kitten

What do you run XIV on? Now also Vroom~~ Cars!!

Post by Red_Xix »

just looking for info on what PCs people are running FFXIV on.
I got an Alienware M17x / SLI Dual 1Gig Nvidia GTX 260m @1.25 each / 8Gig dualRAM / Core2-Duo T9600 @3.25Ghz
When playing in my "room" I use my Logitech 5.1 surround por sound system, and 32" LCD TV
Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard and (dare I say being a PS3 fan) Xbox controller

hey, I am in college, this is the only fun I am having at the moment :P so yeah I went all out.
Last edited by Red_Xix on Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Red_Xix
Kitten

Re: What do you run XIV on?

Post by Red_Xix »

Oh yah,

I found a great IPhone app for FFXIV, so I guess that counts too =^_^=
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Pretty minimalist rig for XIV.

AMD x2 4400+, 2 gb RAM, XP home, 9800 GT, 512 mb.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

ABS Nighthawk Custom Painted Case (Going to replace with a new one later)
Evga SLI x58 3x
Intel Core i7 930
Corsair i7 6GB Dominator Memory (3x 2GB)
Razer Barracuda AC-1 Sound Card
Dual Evga/nvidia GeForce GTX460's (Overclocked; And not causing an issue)
nVidia 3D Vision System w/ Acer 21" Compatible Monitor
Cooler Master Musktaeer 1 5.25"
Multicard/Temp Gauge/Fan Controller 5.25"
Cooler Master Mustakteer 2 5.25"
Antec/Veris 3.5" Multimedia Control
Western Digital Caviar Green 500GB HDD (500GB HDD External Too For Backup)
Razer Mako 2.1 360 Spherical Speaker System
Razer Carpachias HD Head Set
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Yukira
Feral Cat

Post by Yukira »

Intel core 2 quad q6600, 2 gb RAM, GeForce GTX275, Windows 7.

Keeping the graphics settings almost to minimum to maximize FPS. This game really is powerhungry...hmm, on the other hand I guess the lag has its own effect. Still, I don't think I could use more than medium graphics settings on my system without suffering from low FPS. :(
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

AMD Phenom II 945 Quad @3.0 (Had it overclocked to 3.6 but my "Quiet" fans started making too much noise even though the CPU never went beyond 47 degrees celsius and didn't even reach 39 degrees when idle.)
6GB DDR3 @1600Mhz 6-6-6-9
Nvidia GTX 470 1280MB (Used to be 2x Ati 4890 in CrossFire, but one of the cards gave out and since I won't be running FF14 in full screen anyway...)
Intel X25V 40GB SSD main (Running apps from secondary 160GB disk.)
Windows 7 Pro x64

(And thanks for the chance to show off the rig. :D)

This case surrounds it:
The led fans don't really have any other purpose than cooling, I had to buy those since they simply didn't have anything else in stock at that moment.
Although it does have a cool effect in the dark though.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Red_Xix
Kitten

Post by Red_Xix »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:Pretty minimalist rig for XIV.

OMG! FFXIOV runs on that system? Gratz! I never would have thought you could do it. /bow

Shirai, and Karou Ariyen Wow! nice system =^_^=
Arietta
Kitten

Post by Arietta »

I had this comp built a couple years ago:

intel core 2 duo e8500 3.16ghz
4 gigs of ram
upgraded to win 7 ult. 64 bit
xfx 9800 gx2 black edition 1024mb

I have have it hooked up to my 40 inch hdtv with an hdmi cable.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:Pretty minimalist rig for XIV.

Similar to my out-dated box but think your GFX card is better than mine :P

AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual 5600+ 2.91GHz
2GB RAM
XP Home
ATI Radeon HD 3800 series
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Lian - Li Pc6B Plus II Black Aluminum Case
AMD Phenom II X6 1055T cpu @ 3.5ghz
Asus M4A79XTD Evo Motherboard
4GB Corsair XMS 10666 DDR 3 (Yea I know I need more, keep forgetting to order the other 4gb)
XFX 4850 512mb Vid card (The original awesome version, not the newer crap version)
Enermax Liberty 650w Modular PSU
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
Logitech G15 (Original 18 key version) Keyboard
Logitech Performance Mouse MX and G7 (Use depends on game, G7 is more for SC2 then XIV)

Can't remember the rest off the top of my head. If I think about it I will snap some nice pictures of my fancy schmancy wire routing and such.
Keerith
Metal Cat

Post by Keerith »

I've got a $60 HP Pavilion (with a 2GHz P3) I bought off of e-bay three or four years ago. I used to run it with a GeForce 7600 for WoW, and I burnt out a couple of cards (I was on my third when I upgraded for XIV). It was a short-form case, so I had to pick up a right-angle riser to make the card fit and somehow laying more or less on top of the power supply didn't work for the video card... ^^;

I spent about $400 on upgrade parts and a new case, so now I have a whole new motherboard, an AMD Athlon II (2.9G, but I'm running it at 3.1), 2 GB of RAM (Windows XP), and an ATI Radeon Sapphire 5500 graphics card with another 1GB of RAM. :D
-Keerith
See you later, space cowboy!

[FFXIV: Keerith Galeo, Priestess of Ormagöden]

"Can't bend what's made of metal / We're reinforced with steel / We never will surrender / We never kneel." - Made of Metal, by Dream Evil
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

Desktop:

CPU: Intel i7-870 quad-core
GPU: nVidia GTX 460 768mb
RAM: 8GB DDR3 1333
SND: Creative Xi-Fi 64MB with breakout box / Sleak Audio SA6 earphones with wireless
Storage: 2 x Samsung 500MB HDDs for OS, User/Work, Games and Temp, Archive, Backup, 10 x Western Digital 2TB 'Green' HDDs for general storage

PWR: Corsait TX 650watt
CAS: Lian Li v2100B+

Aside from the casing (all others use a v1000), sound (my own stuff) and GPU (most are GTX260s), this is the standard workstation. Because of where I normally am, my workstation is also the local fileserver for non-critical/low security stuff (i.e. people's illicit MP3s and whatnot, there is probably a large bestiality collection on some drives, japanese and german techs...) hence the 10 drives for storage. There are also two additional network cards, one for the file server and another for accessing the internet via proxies, the onboard network is for the local network. My workstation is the only machine that can both access the low-security LAN and the internet (including IP TV), plus it hosts a bulletin board to let workers gripe about the bosses but is really used to swap 'files of interest'. No microphones allowed since we are supposed to have an ear out for alarms, no speakers naturally.

Somehow this runs FFXIV quite well even with the HDD light permanently blinking. Perverts at work.

Laptop:

Same CPU/RAM as above, 1 x 128GB SDD, 1 x 1GB HDD, GTX 460m GPU and a small 4:3 17" screen, custom job by Nanya (looks like a Dell without the Dell logo). This lappy can login to FFXIV but it's quite laggy unless you dumb down the graphics settings a bit. Everytime it boots up, I have to provide two finger prints, a retinal eye scan, two RSA keys and a urine sample. Ok, I made up two of those. I hate using this because all the USB ports are disabled (as in not physically present at all on the motherboard, the ports are empty) but at least it is free, else its the local cybercafe that are perpetually filled with creepy otaku or middle-age men in suits with roving eyes.
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

Oh and a Saitek "something" keyboard (I got it because the keys were illuminated) and a Logitech G7 wireless mouse (the one with the batteries that give out after 4 hours of usage, lol)
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

HA! My New Xion Onyx Blue/Black Steel ATX Case is here! New door! And now I need to change the LEDs out to pink. Also Razer has a new naga that changes colors. If the pink light can be left on permenetly, I'll but it.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Red_Xix
Kitten

Post by Red_Xix »

Keerith wrote:I've got a $60 HP Pavilion (with a 2GHz P3) I bought off of e-bay three or four years ago. I used to run it with a GeForce 7600 for WoW, and I burnt out a couple of cards (I was on my third when I upgraded for XIV). It was a short-form case, so I had to pick up a right-angle riser to make the card fit and somehow laying more or less on top of the power supply didn't work for the video card... ^^;

I spent about $400 on upgrade parts and a new case, so now I have a whole new motherboard, an AMD Athlon II (2.9G, but I'm running it at 3.1), 2 GB of RAM (Windows XP), and an ATI Radeon Sapphire 5500 graphics card with another 1GB of RAM. :D
With all the money you put in, why did you not just get a new computer?
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Perhaps it was upgraded on the piece at a time plan?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Mystiana
Princess Cat

Post by Mystiana »

Sigh... okay, I'll post my stats. Don't laugh too hard.

Desktop:
Intel Core2 Duo, 2.4 GHz
1GB nVidia GeForce 9800 GT
4 GB of RAM DDR2 (800 MHz I think?)
FFXIV Benchmark: 1497

If I run fullscreen, I can get decent framerate, but it's in my study and I don't spend a lot of time there.

Laptop:
Intel Core2 Duo, 1.8 GHz
512MB nVidia GeForce 8600M
4 GB of RAM DDR2 (800 MHz)
FFXIV Benchmark: 920

This is what I usually play on. I have to turn the buffer resolution to less than full, making it kinda yucky, but playable.

Workstation:
Intel Core i7 930 (2.8 GHz)
nVidia GeForce GTX 260
6 GB of RAM DDR3 (1333 MHz)
FFXIV Benchmark: 2340 (H) 3470 (L)

The work machine I wish I could take home.
[FFX|V] Mystiana Rulean >> BLM iL94 - DRG iL91 - SMN iL93 - SCH iL77
http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone/character/1463791/
[FFXI] Mystiana@Shiva >> 99 DNC DRG SMN [currently retired]
90+ WAR BLM WHM BST BRD SCH :: 494 Merit Points
Rank 10 for all nations :: Craft: [Cooking: 54][Fishing: 50]
Keerith
Metal Cat

Post by Keerith »

Red_Xix wrote: With all the money you put in, why did you not just get a new computer?
I pretty much did, just in bits and pieces. The only parts left from the original HP now are one of the hard drives, the CD-R drive, and the 3.5" floppy drive.

Putting it together myself was fun, I like the case, and are there $300 computers that can run XIV?
-Keerith

"Can't bend what's made of metal / We're reinforced with steel / We never will surrender / We never kneel." - Made of Metal, by Dream Evil
Cealia
Kitten

Post by Cealia »

mewmew... windows is dumb. in osx, all i do is go to "about this mac" and it displays what graphics card i have and everything.. windows shows these two basic things, but i can't figure out where the other stuff is hiding at.

imac core 2 duo 2.8 ghz..
4 gb ram..

from memory.. i think i have an ati radeon hd 2900? something like that.

Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Cealia wrote:mewmew... windows is dumb. in osx, all i do is go to "about this mac" and it displays what graphics card i have and everything.. windows shows these two basic things, but i can't figure out where the other stuff is hiding at.

4 gb ram..

I heard that 14 doesn't respond very well via Bootcamp. Is there any truth to that? Because It failed when I tried to make it run via WineHQ for linux.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Cealia wrote:mewmew... windows is dumb. in osx, all i do is go to "about this mac" and it displays what graphics card i have and everything.. windows shows these two basic things, but i can't figure out where the other stuff is hiding at.

4 gb ram..

If it's ATI you should have an ATI symbol in the systray, can right click on that and it should tell you what it is (providing the drivers are installed).
Keerith
Metal Cat

Post by Keerith »

Sugami wrote:
If it's ATI you should have an ATI symbol in the systray, can right click on that and it should tell you what it is (providing the drivers are installed).
You might be able to get it from the "System Information" tab in the FFXIV Configuration tool, now that I think about it.
-Keerith

Cealia
Kitten

Post by Cealia »

well i'm back in osx, so here is what my card is:

ati radeon HD 2600 pro with 256 mb.

i haven't had any problems running ffxiv under bootcamp.. i even run it in windowed mode and it's fine. i have to turn a lot of the options off, though and put the settings on low to make it run smoother. i haven't had any real problems running it, except for the occassional crash that everyone's experienced.

the only trouble i had was during beta when i couldn't really control the settings and i ran around like a drunk person cause it lagged too much.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

http://www.hisdigital.com/un/product2-477.shtml that's what I'm planning on getting for Christmas, thoughts? :)
Keerith
Metal Cat

Post by Keerith »

Nice!
-Keerith

Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Nice card indeed, just one thing though...
While you will see improvement the card won't reach its full potential on your current system.

Just a thing to keep in mind.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

nVidia has confirmed problems with the display drivers and windows 7. The tech I talked to said that windows tries to install incompatable drivers and causes the display to crash. Microsoft hasn't responded to nVidia about the concerns, which is basically typical.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Shirai wrote:Nice card indeed, just one thing though...
While you will see improvement the card won't reach its full potential on your current system.

Just a thing to keep in mind.
Aye, I can't afford to upgrade everything now so one step at a time :) Just a new CPU is needed after (maybe Motherboard to accommodate it), 2GB of RAM should still be fine, ne?
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:Aye, I can't afford to upgrade everything now so one step at a time :) Just a new CPU is needed after (maybe Motherboard to accommodate it), 2GB of RAM should still be fine, ne?

Almost, unless you're upgrading with some "older" stuff you will need to replace both your mainboard and ram along with your CPU as most current CPUs run with DDR3 and you are most likely still running on DDR2 ram.
But as a good graphics card is indeed one of the more expensive components of a PC it is indeed wise to get one in advance.

One more thing: Do be mindful of one other component when you start upgrading:
Namely your PSU (Power Supply Unit).
Make sure that has enough power to sustain the components you plan to put into your computer.

A rather painful mistake I made when I upgraded my own computer.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Shirai wrote:
Sugami wrote:Aye, I can't afford to upgrade everything now so one step at a time :) Just a new CPU is needed after (maybe Motherboard to accommodate it), 2GB of RAM should still be fine, ne?

Almost, unless you're upgrading with some "older" stuff you will need to replace both your mainboard and ram along with your CPU as most current CPUs run with DDR3 and you are most likely still running on DDR2 ram.
But as a good graphics card is indeed one of the more expensive components of a PC it is indeed wise to get one in advance.

One more thing: Do be mindful of one other component when you start upgrading:
Namely your PSU (Power Supply Unit).
Make sure that has enough power to sustain the components you plan to put into your computer.

A rather painful mistake I made when I upgraded my own computer.
Corsair 850W Modular PSU. I love this thing to death.