What do you run XIV on? Now also Vroom~~ Cars!!

A place to talk about... anything!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Re: What do you run XIV on? Now also Vroom~~ Cars!!

Post by Tivia »

Yea, that keyboard came out a few years ago. Has been making the rounds in tech circles for quite a while. It certainly has the "Cool" factor going for it, but functionally sorta worthless.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:Yea, that keyboard came out a few years ago. Has been making the rounds in tech circles for quite a while. It certainly has the "Cool" factor going for it, but functionally sorta worthless.

I know what you mean. It's like putting 3 GE Dash-9 Locomotives in front of 1 boxcar and then putting another behind it as a helper unit. Overkill.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Keerith
Metal Cat

Post by Keerith »

Or driving a Bugatti Veyron to the store to buy milk. :)
-Keerith
See you later, space cowboy!

[FFXIV: Keerith Galeo, Priestess of Ormagöden]

"Can't bend what's made of metal / We're reinforced with steel / We never will surrender / We never kneel." - Made of Metal, by Dream Evil
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

If I had a Veyron I'd drive it everywhere just to show off :lol:
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Made a final case swap decision:

The green parts are going to be painted pink. The dark grayish-silver in the middle of the front door will be black. Silver will be left alone. The blue lenses there, at least I think their lenses, will be swapped out for pink. I have to measure to see if my exos-2 will fit. But overall I'll turn it into the rig from "hell".
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Mine was the Cosmos 1000 two years ago.
I still do not regret that choice.

By the way when you are done with it, I really demand some pics for once.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Case is on order. Might be til next year before I start the project. I'm going to look around for the proper pink to use.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Karou Ariyen wrote:.... I'm going to look around for the proper pink to use.
Barbie pink!!!
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
MikaMeow
<Insert Title here>

Post by MikaMeow »

Thats a pretty sweet looking case =D

This is the case I ended up with for my new XIV Machine.
The most wasted day of all is one in which we have not laughed.
Image Image
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Don't seem to sell my current case anymore. This is probably the closest:

Only it has a door on the front with a row of LEDs going down the middle. I've come to hate the stupid door, I've kinda ruined it by using a screw that's too big and it's really awkward trying to take the motherboard out, poorly designed IMO. I'm getting a simpler case but still looks pretty good (with a small LED cluster on the front).
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I like the Xbox style X on the sides. I'm going to put the Nobel Team logo on it and then paint "Nobel-6" on the bottom of it ;D
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Meh, too much steel and plastic.

Yea, I am a case snob..sorry.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:Meh, too much steel and plastic.

Yea, I am a case snob..sorry.
I can understand that. If you remember the Xion Onyx II, you'll know that I don't like over the top outrageous cases. I like a clean case with a simple window. But that case is discontinued and my door is broke. All the cases I looked at, it came down between the Trigon TR24X and the Cooler Master Cosmos 1000. In the end I went with the Trigon because it isn't over the top like most cases can be. The trade off of getting rid of a window is a tough decision because I have an onboard LCD Monitor on my mobo that helps me figure out why my computer won't boot up. But the overall feel to me is simple without being flashy.

Now what happened to the swap into the Night Hawk ABS Case I worked on? The steel was so soft it bent on me. It's at the bottom of Mount Trashmore and anyone in IL knows what that place is heh. My theory on cases has always been, reflect your personal style. By the way here's an actual non product image of the side panel off:

It's an ATX Midtower, 4 5.25" external, 2 3.5" external and 6 3.5" internal. Dual 80mm Fans on the rear, One on each side. And it looks like the green handles can be easily removed for painting. I'm going to miss my Xion Onyx, but it served me well for the last 5 years. Time to move on sadly.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Ok, my opinion of this case is now clear.
Outward it looks ok, but I really dislike the way it looks on the inside.

This only confirms more why I am a Cooler Master fan.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

This is also another one of the reasons I chose it:

The internal bays within the door
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

You won't see the insides so what does it matter? :P I hate having doors on cases now I've had to deal with mine for 5+ years, and I don't even use the DVD all that much, just when I was burning stuff it'd always be annoying :x
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Sugami wrote:You won't see the insides so what does it matter? :P I hate having doors on cases now I've had to deal with mine for 5+ years, and I don't even use the DVD all that much, just when I was burning stuff it'd always be annoying :x
Well the thing is, if I want a window on the side of my case, I want a full window to see inside. I don't want partial windows or like dots. It's a full window or none. But that's one factor. My hubby mentioned it looked like an alien and I'm glad he did. I know Alienware is not a very good company desktop wise, but I loved their cases, always have. This case, while not similar, has that look. The next factor I looked into was the drivebay's on external. 4 5.25" and 2 3.5" is my set up. The door is always a choice because I don't want my little cousin effing around with buttons. And yes she'll do it. Also I've always been one to keep the door open if I'm burning media and so forth. I like to hide my drive bays. Finally it came down to customization. Very little paint work to be done here, that's a plus for me. I also measured it and my LAN Harness will fit too also it will clear Amtrak's specifications for transport. It will fit under the seat for transport. I travel around the midwest a lot and I tend to take Amtrak and I like to keep my desktop with me if I'm going on vacation. For Example, this christmas we're going to canada. Amtrak to VIA Rail connection, my desktop now won't clear either rail carrier's specifications for underseat or overhead storage. So I have to take my laptop.

Speaking of my laptop, this summer I had some modifications done to my Panasonic Toughtbook CF19. Intel i5 Processor, added a GPS system w/ antenna, 4GB Memory, replacement net card from Sierra (compatable with my sprint service) and a 250GB HDD with a hot swap cage from Panasonic. Yes I have a tablet, but I was originally using it for mechanical work. No point in changing it out now. I love it too much. If you look at the back of the tablet you'll see the dent where my exhaust pipe slipped and hit it. No damage. It truly is hard to kill a toughbook.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

So spent a whole afternoon moving my computer into a new case and installing my new ATI HD 5770 and the textures look kinda funny up close.

Kinda hard to see due to not being full screen, hard to describe too, it's like the lighting on the textures isn't smooth and is kinda jaggedy... I've tried all kind of settings to no avail, any idea what's going on?

Edit: Setting Texture quality and filtering to low seems to get it back to what it was, I'll experiment later to see which one if not both is behind it.
Red_Xix
Kitten

Post by Red_Xix »

I did some upgrades to my system, seeing as I started this thread I thought I should put em' up.

Alienware M17x / SLI "Dual" Nvidia GTX 260m @1.25 each / 8Gig DDR3-RAM / Quad Core Extreme Qx9200 @2.85Ghz
Logitech 5.1 Z-55,000 system, and 42" Acer LCD TV
Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard and a Xbox controller (I miss my PS3 controller... to hard to set up every time I want to use it)

The Quad core processor did give a great improvement to gameplay! I also did a cooling mod, lowered temps down to 55-60c. No more problems running the game on max settings =^_^=

As for glitchy looking textures, all I can say about ATI is make sure your drivers are up to date... I am a Nvidia guy, and know nothing about ATI, sry... As for cases and mods... Like I told ya, I did a cooling mod, I love the look of the laptop, but did make a replacement AW (alienware) logo light for the case, a metallica skull. took weeks it mold correctly, but looks great!
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Red_Xix wrote:I did some upgrades to my system, seeing as I started this thread I thought I should put em' up.

Alienware M17x / SLI "Dual" Nvidia GTX 260m @1.25 each / 8Gig DDR3-RAM / Quad Core Extreme Qx9200 @2.85Ghz
Logitech 5.1 Z-55,000 system, and 42" Acer LCD TV
Razer Lycosa Gaming Keyboard and a Xbox controller (I miss my PS3 controller... to hard to set up every time I want to use it)

The Quad core processor did give a great improvement to gameplay! I also did a cooling mod, lowered temps down to 55-60c. No more problems running the game on max settings =^_^=

As for glitchy looking textures, all I can say about ATI is make sure your drivers are up to date... I am a Nvidia guy, and know nothing about ATI, sry... As for cases and mods... Like I told ya, I did a cooling mod, I love the look of the laptop, but did make a replacement AW (alienware) logo light for the case, a metallica skull. took weeks it mold correctly, but looks great!

Nvidia's 400 Series drivers are acting up because microsoft did something in the last windows 7 patch that makes them incompatible.
Red_Xix
Kitten

Post by Red_Xix »

Damn... I guess since you are posting that you are using them? If that is the case, you may want to uninstall the win7 update.

Oh, a cool little note, you can google windowerxiv (megaupload still has it). With that little program you can play in full screen and alt+tab out without crashing the game dew to graphics glitch... damn SE for not making the game alt+tab friendly in fullscreen!
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Red_Xix wrote:Damn... I guess since you are posting that you are using them? If that is the case, you may want to uninstall the win7 update.

Oh, a cool little note, you can google windowerxiv (megaupload still has it). With that little program you can play in full screen and alt+tab out without crashing the game dew to graphics glitch... damn SE for not making the game alt+tab friendly in fullscreen!
can that be detected like the windower programs in XI can?
Red_Xix
Kitten

Post by Red_Xix »

Karou Ariyen wrote:
Red_Xix wrote:Damn... I guess since you are posting that you are using them? If that is the case, you may want to uninstall the win7 update.

I have been using it for about a month an a half now, no problems here :3 so I am guessing it can not be detected. It dose not edit or even use any game files (It "playes" with windows files), you run the game at your screen rez, and the windower removes the windows border making it "fill" the screen. say you have a 1440x900 screen, run the game at 1440x900, and the windower will get rid of the window borders, the X00 and Y00 will be placed at X00 and Y00 on your screen making the game "fullscreen" without borders, or a window bar with that bloody min-, max-, and close shizit.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Red_Xix wrote:
Karou Ariyen wrote:

I have been using it for about a month an a half now, no problems here :3 so I am guessing it can not be detected. It dose not edit or even use any game files (It "playes" with windows files), you run the game at your screen rez, and the windower removes the windows border making it "fill" the screen. say you have a 1440x900 screen, run the game at 1440x900, and the windower will get rid of the window borders, the X00 and Y00 will be placed at X00 and Y00 on your screen making the game "fullscreen" without borders, or a window bar with that bloody min-, ma, and close shizit.
I run in windowed mode. It's easier on me and I do run in 1440x900 and I've never had a border issue, although I run on a 22" monitor atm
Red_Xix
Kitten

Post by Red_Xix »

you say you have never had a border issue, do you mean the window borders dont show, you can alt+tab out, and it consumes the full screen?

"bed time for me, I am falling asleep on my keyboard. zZzZz -_- I will keep an eye on this forum as it is getting interesting again :3, see ya' all in the morning" /bow
Last edited by Red_Xix on Thu Dec 09, 2010 8:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Red_Xix wrote:you say you have never had a border issue, do you mean they dont show on your screen without a windower and it is fullscreen, and you can alt+tab out?
I ran full screen once, but I never alt+tabbed out. What happened was my mobo bios locked up the entire system and I had to reboot, so I don't know if I had the alt+tab issue.
Red_Xix
Kitten

Post by Red_Xix »

Karou Ariyen wrote:
Red_Xix wrote:you say you have never had a border issue, do you mean they dont show on your screen without a windower and it is fullscreen, and you can alt+tab out?
I ran full screen once, but I never alt+tabbed out. What happened was my mobo bios locked up the entire system and I had to reboot, so I don't know if I had the alt+tab issue.
Ahh... well the alt+tab glitch is a reset of the graphics card/s when running in full screen and you alt+tab out. most games created a fix for this, but SE still has not, and when someone comes along and makes their own fix, they threaten to sue them 0_o "damn". but since the WindowerXIV program dose not edit or use game files, it is fully legal. This lets people play in fullscreen and alt+tab out without their graphics card resetting. All in all makes for a better gaming exp since you can google for help, check email, ext when you play in fullscreen. your problem seems a lot worse... damn, I hope you can find a fix for that. Even more simple, you can play in fullscreen when your computer can only run it in windowed mode.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Red_Xix wrote:
Karou Ariyen wrote:
Ahh... well the alt+tab glitch is a reset of the graphics card/s when running in full screen and you alt+tab out. most games created a fix for this, but SE still has not, and when someone comes along and makes their own fix, they threaten to sue them 0_o "damn". but since the WindowerXIV program dose not edit or use game files, it is fully legal. This lets people play in fullscreen and alt+tab out without their graphics card resetting. All in all makes for a better gaming exp since you can google for help, check email, ext when you play in fullscreen. your problem seems a lot worse... damn, I hope you can find a fix for that.
yeah that's what I thought happened, but it was actually the bios. I checked the cpu on restart and it was displaying an error code (Thanks Evga ^^). Turned out that I had installed the wrong driver, and had to reinstall. Everything. Oi.
Red_Xix
Kitten

Post by Red_Xix »

well, if ya' do want to play in fullscreen, you can use this program. If you can play the game in windowed mode, you can play in fullscreen with this =^_^= just make sure in the game settings you are running the game at your screens native rez. (in the game settings set it to the native screen rez, and widowed, run the windower program, and then the game)
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Red_Xix wrote:well, if ya' do want to play in fullscreen, you can use this program. If you can play the game in windowed mode, you can play in fullscreen with this =^_^= just make sure in the game settings you are running the game at your screens native rez. (in the game settings set it to the native screen rez, and widowed, run the windower program, and then the game)
I wish XIV had a built in MP3 Player option so I didn't have to minimize a window or alt+tab to switch my mp3 files xD