What do you run XIV on? Now also Vroom~~ Cars!!

A place to talk about... anything!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Re: What do you run XIV on?

Post by Tivia »

Cealia wrote:what are you guys talking about?

This

http://www.turbosystem.com/auto/eclipse/eclipse.htm
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

THIS THREAD HAS
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

The fact that any thread stays on topic for more then a few posts in a group of cats is nothing short of a miracle. :rofl:
Cealia
Kitten

Post by Cealia »

pfft. my honda pwns.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Pfft, honda..lulz :mrgreen:
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:Pfft, honda..lulz :mrgreen:
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Cealia
Kitten

Post by Cealia »

pfft, i don't have a civic. and it's not like those retarded lowered hondas that kids are doing these days.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

do want. Room for my Razer Barracuda AC-1 Soundcard, dual GTX460's _AND_ the space for my Evga/Killer Xeno Pro Ethernet isn't blocked so I can throw that in.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Car stuff.

And yes, in my youth cars came stock with 10.5:1. But you cannot put 5 - 10 lbs. of boost on a 9:1 compression ratio engine with today's gasoline. You could when I was a teen, but the engines failed at a great rate.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:Car stuff.

And yes, in my youth cars came stock with 10.5:1. But you cannot put 5 - 10 lbs. of boost on a 9:1 compression ratio engine with today's gasoline. You could when I was a teen, but the engines failed at a great rate.

Depends on the parts. There's a lot of support for that with DSM's these days.

On an unrelated note, I'm still looking for a mid tower case.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Cealia wrote:pfft, i don't have a civic. and it's not like those retarded lowered hondas that kids are doing these days.
Ah no civic, must mean this. :rofl:
Cealia
Kitten

Post by Cealia »

OKAY. i will take pics. my car is teh awesome. it's a shiny, pretty, purple limited edition honda accord <3 with like, dual exhaust and an awesome giant air filter of awesome. and it sounds pretty. IT RULES YOU.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Cealia wrote:OKAY. i will take pics. my car is teh awesome. it's a shiny, pretty, purple limited edition honda accord <3 with like, dual exhaust and an awesome giant air filter of awesome. and it sounds pretty. IT RULES YOU.
My ride is pimper:
Keerith
Metal Cat

Post by Keerith »

Car I want: 1970 Mustang Boss 429.

Car I have: 1995 Buick LeSabre. With a seriously damaged front fender, a cracked windshield, and several thousand dollars worth of other work it needs that just isn't going to happen because it's not worth it. ^^;

As for computers - check out http://www.falcon-nw.com/ :) Do want!

-Keerith
See you later, space cowboy!

[FFXIV: Keerith Galeo, Priestess of Ormagöden]

"Can't bend what's made of metal / We're reinforced with steel / We never will surrender / We never kneel." - Made of Metal, by Dream Evil
Cealia
Kitten

Post by Cealia »

that computer is very flamey.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Keerith wrote:Car I have: 1995 Buick LeSabre. With a seriously damaged front fender, a cracked windshield, and several thousand dollars worth of other work it needs that just isn't going to happen because it's not worth it. ^^;
No MOT test thing in America then? By the sounds of it that car wouldn't pass the MOT test over here and then you wouldn't be able to drive it on the road :lol: :P

Also, nice paint job on that case and keyboard. I'll be getting a new case along with the GFX card since my current one annoys me and is crap, nothing fancy just something simple and looks good :)
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Unsure what a MOT test is but no there isn't. We unfortunately have a TON of cars on the road that have no business being on the road anymore. They always scare the hell out of me because their drivers are usually terrible and there is a 99% chance they are uninsured or using cut rate insurance so if they hit me I am picking up the tab. ...Oh wait that recently happened to me as a matter of fact. :x Bloody uninsured bimbo not paying attention and plows the rear end of my eclipse, then has the audacity to ask me not to report it to the police (yea right, not happening chick).
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

MOT test is basically the test cars have to take periodically to be declared roadworthy in the UK (MOT stands for Ministry of Transport). All new cars are road worthy for three years I believe then you need to have an MOT test every year or something (I don't actually own a car so unsure of the details :P). Stuff like cracked wind-shield, broken headlights, etc. will fail the test. If you're caught driving a car that hasn't passed its MOT then you're liable to get fined or worse (jail sentence perhaps).

It's also illegal to drive without insurance over here and you can be prosecuted for doing so. Think there's two types of insurance, full cover and 3rd party only. 3rd party only basically only covers whoever you crash into, something you'd only get for old knackered cars that would cost more to repair than the value of the car itself :P
Keerith
Metal Cat

Post by Keerith »

Sugami wrote: It's also illegal to drive without insurance over here and you can be prosecuted for doing so. Think there's two types of insurance, full cover and 3rd party only. 3rd party only basically only covers whoever you crash into, something you'd only get for old knackered cars that would cost more to repair than the value of the car itself :P
Yea, it's illegal to drive without insurance here, too, but people still do it anyway.

Not sure how it'd do on the MOT test; mechanically it's good enough (I wouldn't drive a car that I thought might explode or fall apart on me), but I've had a bad manifold air pressure sensor for a few years, so I have no idea how it'd test on emissions. ^^ The problems with it are cosmetic or non-critical - burned out MAP sensor, broken tape deck, the AC unit's digital control head is wonking out (it thinks the car is already hot, so it won't blow hot air, and the refrigerant leaked out so it can only blow cold air when it's cold outside, only blows on the windshield) the cosmetic body damage is a couple thousand alone to get it done professionally (damn fiberglass cars). A couple small leaks. It's a beater, I bought it dirt cheap when I was in between jobs and my other car (an '85 Cavalier) crapped out. ^^
-Keerith

"Can't bend what's made of metal / We're reinforced with steel / We never will surrender / We never kneel." - Made of Metal, by Dream Evil
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Many of our states have safety and/or emission testing. They get things like windshield cracks that obstruct vision, like the one my truck's windshield, and headlight aiming, this enriches the few remaining service stations who aim headlights. I don't have safety testing in my state.

None are ANYTHING like as tough as your MOT or Germany's TUFF. Basically you put $100 - 500 in your smoking wreck of a clunker and you can continue to drive it.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:Many of our states have safety and/or emission testing. They get things like windshield cracks that obstruct vision, like the one my truck's windshield, and headlight aiming, this enriches the few remaining service stations who aim headlights. I don't have safety testing in my state.

None are ANYTHING like as tough as your MOT or Germany's TUFF. Basically you put $100 - 500 in your smoking wreck of a clunker and you can continue to drive it.
Most of it is rigged though. As an exhaust expert, I put a Y-Pipe that was street legal and an exhaust manifold system that was 60 percent more enviromentally friendly. During the tests they plug into your OBD-II onboard computer and their machines will try to throw codes to flag you. But just the same if your performance out does the machines or if the exhaust system is better than what the standard programmed results are, it flags codes. Illinois Emissions Testing told me my exhaust system wasn't street legal. I contacted the company who said that was a load of crap because they couldn't sell it in IL if it wasn't street legal.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Keerith wrote:Yea, it's illegal to drive without insurance here, too, but people still do it anyway.
It is? :lol: Well from the sounds of it people are less worried about getting caught without insurance over there than over here, guess we come down harder on "illegal" drivers :P
Not sure how it'd do on the MOT test; mechanically it's good enough (I wouldn't drive a car that I thought might explode or fall apart on me)
It'd fail because of the cracked windshield :P I think they'd deem it unsafe since the crack means it takes less for the windshield to break or something. There's something silly like having a single broken headlight is "illegal" but having both isn't because people might mistake you for a motorbike. I don't know everything they check but it is quite a lot, had a teacher back at school (good 10 years back or so) who had a battered old van that ended up failing the MOT test on several different accounts :lol:

Seeing a car with any kind of visible damage is pretty rare over here, don't think it's all that uncommon in the US :P
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Re: What do you run XIV on? Now also Vroom~~ Cars!!

Post by Shirai »

Too lazy to split off topic... changed title.

[/modbreak]
Sugami wrote:Seeing a car with any kind of visible damage is pretty rare over here, don't think it's all that uncommon in the US :P
We Western Europeans have very strict rules regarding the condition a car must be in before it is allowed to go on the open roads.
Probably the most strict rules and conditions worldwide.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I regularly see cars over here that quite literally have pieces hanging off them. :?:

My personal favorites are the ones we refer too as mosquito foggers. They are the ones burning so much oil that they have whiteout conditions behind them. Most of my state has emissions but not all of it. I live in a part that does not personally.

Oh and the title change is awesome... :rofl:
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

I think Germany's TUFF is about the worst.

As I understand it they look for any "illegal", ie unapproved part. If they think you have one installed they can tear your car apart. If they actually find one they don't have to put it back together. This is why German performance companies like AMG thrive. Approved parts, approved installations, even approved brand new factory hot rods.

They also worry about things like seals. To keep a 5 year old car in Germany, it almost has to be rebuilt. 5 year old German cars have a great tendency to be sold south and east to citizens of other, less restrictive countries.

As to the title change... :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

A big kitty seal of approval.

Cealia
Kitten

Post by Cealia »

Shirai wrote:Too lazy to split off topic... changed title.

[/modbreak]
Sugami wrote:Seeing a car with any kind of visible damage is pretty rare over here, don't think it's all that uncommon in the US :P
We Western Europeans have very strict rules regarding the condition a car must be in before it is allowed to go on the open roads.
Probably the most strict rules and conditions worldwide.

if only we were more strict. i applaud you.
Keerith
Metal Cat

Post by Keerith »

I fixed my heater. :D

I popped open my car's hood to take a look, and I figured it must have gotten cranky because the coolant tank was empty. So, I recited the Rites of Maintenance and Supplication, re-inscribed the Sigil of Vulkan, and made unto the Machine Spirit an offering of engine coolant.

It must have appeased the Spirit, as when I started driving again it blessed me with some of the Warmth of the Infernal Combustion.
:thumb:
-Keerith

Keerith
Metal Cat

Post by Keerith »

And back to computers for a moment:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/9836/

This is NOT just a keyboard... it is a set of 113 buttons each with their own OLED screen that can be individually programmed to be whatever key you want, to display any letter/symbol/animated GIF/quicktime movie you want, and that can change its hotkeys/setups dynamically based on which program you have active and what other keys you are pushing.

>.>

Too much for me to handle, but I thought some of the techies might get a kick out of it. :)
Revolutionary Keyboard Features a tiny OLED screen on each key. 113 screens total.
Each key can be individually programmed to perform a series of functions, open an application or run an Applescript (Mac only)
Various System Monitor functions can dynamically display on a key including CPU usage, CPU temperature, Network Speed, and Memory Usage
Play a GIF animation or Quicktime movie on a Key
Paint images across all keys at once in your image editor of choice
Key sets can be linked to an application, so whenever you open that app the appropriate keys come up
Powerful layer function allows you to combine existing key sets in different ways
Use any language with the appropriate key images including Cyrillic, Ancient Greek, Georgian, Arabic, Quenya, and Hiragana.
Display notes, numerals, special symbols, HTML codes, math functions or any other special symbol.
Any key (or to be exact, a unit consisting of a cap, a microchip and a display) can be easily removed by hands to be cleaned or replaced
Built in USB hub
SD Card Slot for Storing keyboard Settings
-Keerith

Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Keerith wrote:And back to computers for a moment:

http://www.thinkgeek.com/computing/usb-gadgets/9836/

This is NOT just a keyboard... it is a set of 113 buttons each with their own OLED screen that can be individually programmed to be whatever key you want, to display any letter/symbol/animated GIF/quicktime movie you want, and that can change its hotkeys/setups dynamically based on which program you have active and what other keys you are pushing.

>.>

Too much for me to handle, but I thought some of the techies might get a kick out of it. :)
Revolutionary Keyboard Features a tiny OLED screen on each key. 113 screens total.
Each key can be individually programmed to perform a series of functions, open an application or run an Applescript (Mac only)
Various System Monitor functions can dynamically display on a key including CPU usage, CPU temperature, Network Speed, and Memory Usage
Play a GIF animation or Quicktime movie on a Key
Paint images across all keys at once in your image editor of choice
Key sets can be linked to an application, so whenever you open that app the appropriate keys come up
Powerful layer function allows you to combine existing key sets in different ways
Use any language with the appropriate key images including Cyrillic, Ancient Greek, Georgian, Arabic, Quenya, and Hiragana.
Display notes, numerals, special symbols, HTML codes, math functions or any other special symbol.
Any key (or to be exact, a unit consisting of a cap, a microchip and a display) can be easily removed by hands to be cleaned or replaced
Built in USB hub
SD Card Slot for Storing keyboard Settings
Showed that to my techie hubby and to quote him "Overkill. It's a computer not a classic Cougar."
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Heh the keyboard itself could probably be classified as a computer. $1600? Most expensive keyboard I've seen, only people with more money than sense will buy that :lol: