What do you run XIV on? Now also Vroom~~ Cars!!

A place to talk about... anything!
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Re: What do you run XIV on?

Post by Shirai »

For a system like Sug's...
OVERKILL!
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Yeah 850W is if you're using a water cooling system and having a light show inside your computer :lol:

Extra £50 if I wanted 4GB, £25 for just 2GB so not a big deal really. Don't think I'd have an issue with PSU but they're cheap anyways.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Sugami wrote:Yeah 850W is if you're using a water cooling system and having a light show inside your computer :lol:

Extra £50 if I wanted 4GB, £25 for just 2GB so not a big deal really. Don't think I'd have an issue with PSU but they're cheap anyways.
It's the PSU to end all PSU's. If you own it, it's not overkill. It means if you choose to upgrade down the road, it's one less expense you have to worry about. The PSU is the true heartbeat of the computer, much like a car's engine.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Asphe
Feral Cat

Post by Asphe »

Like my 650watt... which didn't support PCI-E power supplies nor the new format pinout on motherboard power inputs.

Less than 6 months old, but had to be replaced. Of course... not long after that, you needed 8pin PCI-E plugs... then you needed TWO of them instead of just one.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Sugami wrote:Yeah 850W is if you're using a water cooling system and having a light show inside your computer :lol:

Or if you have a 6 core cpu and a modern top end gpu you can blow past 850w max load with ease. This is why there are 1200w PSU's on the market now.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:

Or if you have a 6 core cpu and a modern top end gpu you can blow past 850w max load with ease. This is why there are 1200w PSU's on the market now.
What 6 core? Mine's a 4 core?
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Karou Ariyen wrote:
Tivia wrote:

What 6 core? Mine's a 4 core?
Any of them really. Basically if you step up beyond a quad core you should be looking at 800w as minimum, just like 600 was minimum for a quad. I know when I stepped into my AMD 1055T 6 core from my c2d that my machine was having the odd bluescreen when I started nearing 80% cpu usage. Once I stepped up to an 850w the crashes stopped. Likewise I don't use cheapo psu's so the one I had was more then capable of pumping its max of 620w. Now clearly the cpu isn't a 200w step up by itself, the gpu had something to do with it as well as those tend to be the major power hogs. However if you are stepping into a cpu that big, chances are you are eventually stepping into a vid card as well and you might as well cover yourself psu wise.

Standard hardware principles is all. You always want your psu to have more capability then your machine can demand. Not a huge amount more, no need to get crazy but I usually recommend that you be running your psu at 90% of its max load at your machines max consumption. That and buy a quality psu, I cannot count the number of dead machines I have seen over the years because people wanted to save that $20 on a psu. That is the single piece of hardware in a computer you should NEVER scrimp on.

Btw i was commenting in general, 850w is overkill for sugami. I was just pointing out that it is not overkill for a normal high end machine and that you don't need a crazy lightshow to need that kind of wattage.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Don't tell me intel has a 6-core out in the i7 series already /facepalm I'll never have the perfect rig at this rate --;
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Karou Ariyen wrote:Don't tell me intel has a 6-core out in the i7 series already /facepalm I'll never have the perfect rig at this rate --;
It has been for a few months already.
The i7-980X.

The "Perfect rig"? Please explain!
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Karou Ariyen wrote:Don't tell me intel has a 6-core out in the i7 series already /facepalm I'll never have the perfect rig at this rate --;
Pfft, quad core? sheesh are you in the computing dark ages. That is soo last month. :rofl:

They have been out for a while yes, but honestly the only reason I got a 6 core is because the amd one was significantly cheaper then an intel quad and offered more performance when my pc suddenly took a dirt nap. For 99% of the things out there 4 cores is still more then what most need.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Shirai wrote:
It has been for a few months already.
The i7-980X.

The "Perfect rig"? Please explain!
My rig has to be able to run 2 games at once, 9 appliciations and run a model train layout by auto running switch commands to allow 9 trains on 2 tracks and control block signaling. So far the quad core does all but run 2 games atm, but I need, to quote Home Improvement, MORE POWER!!!!!
Cealia
Kitten

Post by Cealia »

i can has. pretty.. 12 core mac pro..

http://store.apple.com/us/configure/Z0M ... Tg2OTQ5OTk

Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Karou Ariyen wrote:My rig has to be able to run 2 games at once, 9 appliciations and run a model train layout by auto running switch commands to allow 9 trains on 2 tracks and control block signaling. So far the quad core does all but run 2 games atm, but I need, to quote Home Improvement, MORE POWER!!!!!
Wouldn't it be cheaper and a lot more stable just to have a second desktop dedicated to running your model trains? :?:
If you're anything like me you must have enough components lying around to build a second or even third complete PC with specs high enough to at least do that.
Heck I have enough components lying around to build a third PC which is powerful enough to run FFXIV, albeit on low settings.
My secondary PC is functioning as my file server.

@Cealia,
Even though I'm a PC user... do want!

[edit]
Did another upgrade on my PC this weekend.
Now running 2 SSD drives in RAID 0 configuration. :love:
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Shirai wrote:
Karou Ariyen wrote:My rig has to be able to run 2 games at once, 9 appliciations and run a model train layout by auto running switch commands to allow 9 trains on 2 tracks and control block signaling. So far the quad core does all but run 2 games atm, but I need, to quote Home Improvement, MORE POWER!!!!!
Wouldn't it be cheaper and a lot more stable just to have a second desktop dedicated to running your model trains? :?:
If you're anything like me you must have enough components lying around to build a second or even third complete PC with specs high enough to at least do that.
Heck I have enough components lying around to build a third PC which is powerful enough to run FFXIV, albeit on low settings.
My secondary PC is functioning as my file server.

@Cealia,
Even though I'm a PC user... do want!

[edit]
Did another upgrade on my PC this weekend.
Now running 2 SSD drives in RAID 0 configuration. :love:

Because block wiring, eletrical switch running and the digital command control reciever installations were expensive enough :3 Plus I multitask, I don't want to pull a second rig out --; Also there are experiments about setting up a dummy rig via a LAN so that you have full control via the desktop from anywhere in the house. The ..... "genious" and I use that term loosely is that, the wireless remotes are supposed to be the throttle for any engine with a receiver on the track. The PC should be hooked up to said receivers and run the signals and the switches based off the polarity pickup of the track. Basically it's a whole complicated thing :3 It was designed for use on small scale layouts. I'm trying to take this system and make it work on the large, outdoors scale in the backyard.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Cealia wrote:i can has. pretty.. 12 core mac pro..

Nothing I use is mac compatible, thankfully :P
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

I love my Macbook Pro, mac does have the hands down best laptops especially once you have parallels with Win7 64 bit to handle windows tasks.

That said, unless you have mac specific software there is zero reason to ever buy a mac desktop. Can build a PC with the same specs or better for less then half the cost and outside a few specific applications be far better off.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

You will NEVER build the perfect rig. Its rather like a greyhound and a mechanical rabbit. You are chasing a moving target you can never catch.

To come as close as possible have ~ 20K/year discretionary income, read Tomshardware.com daily.

When I was your age it was cars, planed obsolescence, and an annual cycle. Today its computers, the march of technological progress, and a cycle as short as 2 months at times.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:
You will NEVER build the perfect rig. Its rather like a greyhound and a mechanical rabbit. You are chasing a moving target you can never catch.

To come as close as possible have ~ 20K/year discretionary income, read Tomshardware.com daily.

When I was your age it was cars, planed obsolescence, and an annual cycle. Today its computers, the march of technological progress, and a cycle as short as 2 months at times.
Stop Reminding me of my Eclipse as I'm 30 seconds from installing a brand new oil cooler that was built for hot rods (built in oil cooler fan/coil combo). It's always cars. As that Hybrid trash with it's crappy technology floods the market, I'm always trying to find a way to keep my car fuel efficient and still out perform those hybrid systems. Thankfully I run E85 :D and pay out my rear for it --;

So far the rig's done a good job of keeping the layout running and my specs don't break a sweat. Honestly, 6 core is overkill for what I need. But the fact remains.... like boys... my genetics tell me that 6 is more and I NEED it :3 Basically I'm daddy's little girl :P
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Dear god you are rebuilding your eclipse again?

I wish I had your level of disposable income haha..oh to be single and childless again. :rofl:
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Tivia wrote:Dear god you are rebuilding your eclipse again?

I wish I had your level of disposable income haha..oh to be single and childless again. :rofl:
My oil cooler hasn't been changed since 2001. It finally died today.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Karou Ariyen wrote:But the fact remains.... like boys... my genetics tell me that 6 is more and I NEED it
My heart sais so, but my wallet says hey you, you got rent and bills to pay!!!
Next year though I may be running into a nice pile of money as I may be changing employer and I have a buttload of free days left which I will have paid out in cash.
But that money will go to another hobby of mine if all goes as planned:

Photography.
Right now I have a digital compact Camera which is a bit better than average, but I have a few fairly expensive lenses that I inherited from my grandfather and I am eyeballing that Canon EOS 700 series.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Shirai wrote:
Karou Ariyen wrote:But the fact remains.... like boys... my genetics tell me that 6 is more and I NEED it
My heart sais so, but my wallet says hey you, you got rent and bills to pay!!!
Next year though I may be running into a nice pile of money as I may be changing employer and I have a buttload of free days left which I will have paid out in cash.
But that money will go to another hobby of mine if all goes as planned:

Photography.
Right now I have a digital compact Camera which is a bit better than average, but I have a few fairly expensive lenses that I inherited from my grandfather and I am eyeballing that Canon EOS 700 series.
When my daddy passed away he had already picked up a Brand new 2010 Camaro. His will had been updated and the camaro left to me. I sold it to finish paying for the house construction. The oil cooler was the only outside expensive I've made in the last 3 months. I'm still trying to finish drywalling a house w/o knowing how to do it >.>;
Cealia
Kitten

Post by Cealia »

Tivia wrote:

I love my Macbook Pro, mac does have the hands down best laptops especially once you have parallels with Win7 64 bit to handle windows tasks.

That said, unless you have mac specific software there is zero reason to ever buy a mac desktop. Can build a PC with the same specs or better for less then half the cost and outside a few specific applications be far better off.
i do :P like final cut pro and motion :P

i drool.
:o
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Cealia wrote:
Tivia wrote:

i do :P like final cut pro and motion :P

i drool.
:o
My cousin made me install custom hardware into a custom case than install Mac OSX Snow Leopard. If she didn't pay me for the labor I'd have chucked it into the lake.
Cealia
Kitten

Post by Cealia »

*paws at the mac pro* it's 6 times faster then my imac..
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Karou Ariyen wrote:Stop Reminding me of my Eclipse as I'm 30 seconds from installing a brand new oil cooler that was built for hot rods (built in oil cooler fan/coil combo). It's always cars. As that Hybrid trash with it's crappy technology floods the market, I'm always trying to find a way to keep my car fuel efficient and still out perform those hybrid systems. Thankfully I run E85 :D and pay out my rear for it --;
E85? What's the octane rating on that? Are you aware that automotive propane is like 140+ octane? And Canada is about a decade ahead of the US in automotive propane technology?

Burns cleaner than E85 too, but that is probably offset by the pollution and costs of extraction.

Thermostatically controlled oil coolers pay for themselves many times over in performance applications. For daily commuting not so much.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:
Karou Ariyen wrote:Stop Reminding me of my Eclipse as I'm 30 seconds from installing a brand new oil cooler that was built for hot rods (built in oil cooler fan/coil combo). It's always cars. As that Hybrid trash with it's crappy technology floods the market, I'm always trying to find a way to keep my car fuel efficient and still out perform those hybrid systems. Thankfully I run E85 :D and pay out my rear for it --;
E85? What's the octane rating on that? Are you aware that automotive propane is like 140+ octane? And Canada is about a decade ahead of the US in automotive propane technology?

Burns cleaner than E85 too, but that is probably offset by the pollution and costs of extraction.

Thermostatically controlled oil coolers pay for themselves many times over in performance applications. For daily commuting not so much.
Yeah well E85 is better than convential gasoline because we don't have canadian gas here ;;
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

You DO have automotive propane. And Canadian gasoline is little different than American gasoline.

Its the propane injectors and tanks, the Canadian on board computers, and propane at every other gas station we lack.

Come on girl, doesn't the thought of slapping a turbocharger / intercooler setup on a 9:1 compression ratio engine get you even the slightest bit warm?

9.5:1?

:rofl: :lol: :rofl:

Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Alya Mizar (Tsybil) wrote:You DO have automotive propane. And Canadian gasoline is little different than American gasoline.

Its the propane injectors and tanks, the Canadian on board computers, and propane at every other gas station we lack.

Come on girl, doesn't the thought of slapping a turbocharger / intercooler setup on a 9:1 compression ratio engine get you even the slightest bit warm?

9.5:1?

:rofl: :lol: :rofl:
9:1 compression can be done outside propane :P
Cealia
Kitten

Post by Cealia »

what are you guys talking about?