Split Decisions

A place to talk about... anything!
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Split Decisions

Post by Karou Ariyen »

So I got a phone call during work today. A couple years ago I had applied to HKS Performance for their Test Driver program. I never got in. But someone retired and my application is on the top of their heap. They want me to go to california. I'll make 120,000 a year test driving new performance parts for their R&D Division. A new luxury condo paid for by the company, first class airfare and top notch moving services.

So why am I questioning this? I don't know what I want more. Money, which is something I've always strived to get. But it means uprooting and leaving everything and everyone I've ever known behind. No I don't make a lot of money where I am but I appreciate the family atmosphere that my job brings. So many local hangouts in the city I'd miss. Yeah I can find new ones in San Diego, but Chicago's always been my home.

I don't know what to do to be honest. Leaving behind my friends, my band, my hangouts, my job, my co-workers, my family. What do you think? What would you do in a situation like this?
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Tianshii
Mad Cat

Post by Tianshii »

I would go!
test driving new performance parts for their R&D Division
Is what sounds so freaking cool! The loot is a nice bonus.
You could always go back and visit all your friends and haunts a few times a year. :)
Assassen Summoner
[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o233/PuszNboots/sigs/Tianshii_this.jpg[/img]
SMN75~SAM75~whm75~thf42~DNC38~drg33
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

*Checks the last threads you made*

I think... its ultimately how you feel.

But, I must ask. Is boarding permanent as long as you're with the company? Or just temporary while they move your items?
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Re: Split Decisions

Post by Tivia »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:So I got a phone call during work today. A couple years ago I had applied to HKS Performance for their Test Driver program. I never got in. But someone retired and my application is on the top of their heap. They want me to go to california. I'll make 120,000 a year test driving new performance parts for their R&D Division. A new luxury condo paid for by the company, first class airfare and top notch moving services.

So why am I questioning this? I don't know what I want more. Money, which is something I've always strived to get. But it means uprooting and leaving everything and everyone I've ever known behind. No I don't make a lot of money where I am but I appreciate the family atmosphere that my job brings. So many local hangouts in the city I'd miss. Yeah I can find new ones in San Diego, but Chicago's always been my home.

I don't know what to do to be honest. Leaving behind my friends, my band, my hangouts, my job, my co-workers, my family. What do you think? What would you do in a situation like this?
Part of the enjoyment of life is experiencing new things. Go.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

as long as I'm with HKS, it's permanant.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

You will be extremely surprised at just how quickly you feel right at home in the new area. I have moved more times then I can count, each time is started with the same feelings you are having now. Said feelings are usually quickly replaced.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Well right now I'm majoring in Automotive Engineering. Then this job offer comes up. 2 Diffrent paths, and I have til monday to think about it. Either way I'll make big bucks, but do I want to jump in right away or finish my degree. This will require some decision making. Although I never thought in my wildest dreams this would happen.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

I'd say go. If there's a chance you might end up regretting not taking the offer- go. Go and don't look back. Your friends and family will miss you, but they will understand and support you if its something you want- but bring your husband. He'll probably appreciate being with you :P

Honestly, this sounds like a great offer for you- one that probably won't come up again from what you've said. Your degree will still be there waiting for you when you're able to finish it- either there or if you end up moving back in the future.
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

KarouKaniyashia wrote:as long as I'm with HKS, it's permanant.
Permanent free boarding.

PLUS $120k/yr

Its a good, irresistible offer, and the move won't be all that bad. Hell, they'll be doing all the work for ya.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Go for it, you'll only regret not taking opportunities when they come along.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

This is an opportunity of a lifetime, as far as I can see a job you have been dreaming of.
A job with a pay and secondary benefits to which I say, holy freaking hell I wish I could get half of that!

Of course every upside has a downside.
Ahead of you you are being offered a bright future in the industry you've been dreaming to get a job.
Aside from that, a really good pay and secondary benefits.

However the place where you were born, where you grew up, you'll have to leave that behind and start a completely new life.
Life's full of choices, and this is one of life's choices where there is no choice feels right, but neither of the choices presented feels wrong either.

Whatever you choose, I am 100% sure your true friends will stand behind it.
In my personal opinion, it is not bad to be a bit selfish sometimes because not everyone gets an opportunity like that.

What I would do personally in a similar situation....
I think I'd go for it, but this choice is not mine to make.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

When I was your age, if an offer 1/2 that good came along, I would have jumped on it instantly. But I always had an advanced case of itchy feet, horizon urge, and make it on my ownitis.

You are studying Automotive Engineering, and will be working for a company that makes performance parts? Do they like many companies perhaps offer tuition for training in their field? Including college? Could you find a college offering AE close to where you will be living?

Then there is the California part. The epicenter of American hot rodding and car customizing from the end of WWII to the present day. How could our favorite car freak not go there?

When the Japanese car companies started seriously marketing to the American public rather than just selling us cars, they hired designers not from our design schools nor Detroit, but from the top custom shops in California.

Thanks to the internet and cell phones with no long distance charges you will not be leaving family and friends in anywhere near the same way as merely a decade ago.

I urge you kitty, go. You will regret it if you don't.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

I met with a representative from HKS This afternoon. I think for the first time in my life I actually reached a crossroads that actually was a crossroad. After discussing the diffrent perks and benefits and the paid travel and moving expenses, I decided I am not taking the job.

I have several reason for this, many being not wishing to leave family and friends behind but something my hubby asked me to do. He told me to give every reason why I should take the job. But the only reason I could come up with was the money. I couldn't find a reason why It would be fun, or enjoyable. The only thing that kept coming back to me was money.

I don't like to work if it isn't fun. And money corrupts. Seriously, I can't think of anytime in my life which I did something for money. Every Airsoft tournament with a cash payout I do, it isn't about the money, it's about the chance to compete. If I take this job because of the money and not because it really is something I want to do, part of me dies inside. I'd be no better then my roomates cousin who takes money for granted because her father's a rich CEO.

Other oppourtunites will come along. I am sure of this.

EDIT: You know, the more I thought about it, the more sad I got. But I married someone whose made enough sacrifices for me. The world's biggest Atari Jaguar fan who sold off a 5,000 dollar collection to pay for our weddings. Who sold off some rare NES Items to pay for our decent wedding rings. Family is more important to me, friends too. Maybe someday it will change or end, but it isn't someday. It's today. The present. I'm not in a good place to be doing something like this.

I know people will want to hang me for this, but I can't make people understand things from my perspective. It is funny, my boss, who knows I stay for the pure loyalty and the love of the job was the one person who kept insisting I should take the higher paying job. I chose my family overall. I chose what was more comfortable and more meaningful in my perspective.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

That is indeed a very good reason to say no.

Even though money does make life easier no amount of money can make up for not being happy about the job you do.
I remember a few years ago I worked at my previous job because I needed the money.
It turned me into an emotional wreck for 6 months.
(The pay for that job was bad too btw.)

Your husband was right for letting you ask yourself that question before making the decission, my compliments to the good man.
Tivia
Irrepressible Kitteh

Post by Tivia »

Glad you made a decision that was right for you.

I just wish I had the skill set those guys are looking for, I have nothing holding me where I currently am and would jump on a career change if I could find someone willing to train to the position.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

I wish I could've gotten an opportunity like that, I just love to drive, the faster the better. Which sounds all the funnier considering my own car hasn't ran for 4 years (yay being poor!).
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Gibocracy
Kitten

Post by Gibocracy »

damn that sounds freaking awsome, hope you take it.
If they would make a game open ended and bring back the AC1 skill/stat system I would buy it and play it even if it was called "Smurfs Great Adventure"
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

She didn't, for good reasons too ;)
xaresity
Queen Cat

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Post by xaresity »

audiobookkeeper.rucottagenet.rueyesvision.rueyesvisions.comfactoringfee.rufilmzones.rugadwall.rugaffertape.rugageboard.rugagrule.rugallduct.rugalvanometric.rugangforeman.rugangwayplatform.rugarbagechute.rugardeningleave.rugascautery.rugashbucket.rugasreturn.rugatedsweep.rugaugemodel.rugaussianfilter.rugearpitchdiameter.ru
geartreating.rugeneralizedanalysis.rugeneralprovisions.rugeophysicalprobe.rugeriatricnurse.rugetintoaflap.rugetthebounce.ruhabeascorpus.ruhabituate.ruhackedbolt.ruhackworker.ruhadronicannihilation.ruhaemagglutinin.ruhailsquall.ruhairysphere.ruhalforderfringe.ruhalfsiblings.ruhallofresidence.ruhaltstate.ruhandcoding.ruhandportedhead.ruhandradar.ruhandsfreetelephone.ru
hangonpart.ruhaphazardwinding.ruhardalloyteeth.ruhardasiron.ruhardenedconcrete.ruharmonicinteraction.ruhartlaubgoose.ruhatchholddown.ruhaveafinetime.ruhazardousatmosphere.ruheadregulator.ruheartofgold.ruheatageingresistance.ruheatinggas.ruheavydutymetalcutting.rujacketedwall.rujapanesecedar.rujibtypecrane.rujobabandonment.rujobstress.rujogformation.rujointcapsule.rujointsealingmaterial.ru
journallubricator.rujuicecatcher.rujunctionofchannels.rujusticiablehomicide.rujuxtapositiontwin.rukaposidisease.rukeepagoodoffing.rukeepsmthinhand.rukentishglory.rukerbweight.rukerrrotation.rukeymanassurance.rukeyserum.rukickplate.rukillthefattedcalf.rukilowattsecond.rukingweakfish.rukinozones.rukleinbottle.rukneejoint.ruknifesethouse.ruknockonatom.ruknowledgestate.ru
kondoferromagnet.rulabeledgraph.rulaborracket.rulabourearnings.rulabourleasing.rulaburnumtree.rulacingcourse.rulacrimalpoint.rulactogenicfactor.rulacunarycoefficient.ruladletreatediron.rulaggingload.rulaissezaller.rulambdatransition.rulaminatedmaterial.rulammasshoot.rulamphouse.rulancecorporal.rulancingdie.rulandingdoor.rulandmarksensor.rulandreform.rulanduseratio.ru
languagelaboratory.rulargeheart.rulasercalibration.rulaserlens.rulaserpulse.rulaterevent.rulatrinesergeant.rulayabout.ruleadcoating.ruleadingfirm.rulearningcurve.ruleaveword.rumachinesensible.rumagneticequator.rumagnetotelluricfield.rumailinghouse.rumajorconcern.rumammasdarling.rumanagerialstaff.rumanipulatinghand.rumanualchoke.rumedinfobooks.rump3lists.ru
nameresolution.runaphtheneseries.runarrowmouthed.runationalcensus.runaturalfunctor.runavelseed.runeatplaster.runecroticcaries.runegativefibration.runeighbouringrights.ruobjectmodule.ruobservationballoon.ruobstructivepatent.ruoceanmining.ruoctupolephonon.ruofflinesystem.ruoffsetholder.ruolibanumresinoid.ruonesticket.rupackedspheres.rupagingterminal.rupalatinebones.rupalmberry.ru
papercoating.ruparaconvexgroup.ruparasolmonoplane.ruparkingbrake.rupartfamily.rupartialmajorant.ruquadrupleworm.ruqualitybooster.ruquasimoney.ruquenchedspark.ruquodrecuperet.rurabbetledge.ruradialchaser.ruradiationestimator.rurailwaybridge.rurandomcoloration.rurapidgrowth.rurattlesnakemaster.rureachthroughregion.rureadingmagnifier.rurearchain.rurecessioncone.rurecordedassignment.ru
rectifiersubstation.ruredemptionvalue.rureducingflange.rureferenceantigen.ruregeneratedprotein.rureinvestmentplan.rusafedrilling.rusagprofile.rusalestypelease.rusamplinginterval.rusatellitehydrology.ruscarcecommodity.ruscrapermat.ruscrewingunit.ruseawaterpump.rusecondaryblock.rusecularclergy.ruseismicefficiency.ruselectivediffuser.rusemiasphalticflux.rusemifinishmachining.ruspicetrade.ruspysale.ru
stungun.rutacticaldiameter.rutailstockcenter.rutamecurve.rutapecorrection.rutappingchuck.rutaskreasoning.rutechnicalgrade.rutelangiectaticlipoma.rutelescopicdamper.rutemperateclimate.rutemperedmeasure.rutenementbuilding.rutuchkasultramaficrock.ruultraviolettesting.ru