A place to talk about... anything!
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Markov gets put to the test.

Post by Fiye »

Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

To be blunt, I don't WANT to see "conscious" computers. Humans have enough problems as is without adding an artificial (and let's face it, eventually superior) intelligence into the mix to try and work things out with. Even if somehow we do manage to integrate thinking computers into society as a whole, there's going to be a mark of segregation at some point. Could be I, Robot all over the place for all we know. While I DO love the advancement of technology, I'm not sure we should even want to cross the bridge of true artificial intelligence. :oops:
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

And that's what I have to say on the subject. (FYI I own that shirt.)
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Swift Illusion - Black Female Chocobo |Sahyu - Level 60 Soothing Healer |
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

What do you mean "eventually superior", think they are already much more intelligent than most people :P
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Sugami wrote:What do you mean "eventually superior", think they are already much more intelligent than most people :P

Hmmm. no.

Even in this era even though a computer holds a lot of information and answers to a lot of questions.
The computer itself still knows no more then the following two things.

0 and 1.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
Vatrina
Tomcat

Post by Vatrina »

Shirai wrote:
Sugami wrote:What do you mean "eventually superior", think they are already much more intelligent than most people :P

Hmmm. no.

Even in this era even though a computer holds a lot of information and answers to a lot of questions.
The computer itself still knows no more then the following two things.

0 and 1.
Zero and One. Wouldn't that be the biological equivalent of a neuron in our brain firing (one) or remaining still (zero)?

I'm certainly not a biologist, but that's how I understand how our brains basically work. A patterns of neurons fire to produce thoughts, memories, feelings, etc, based on where in the brain they fire and the pattern they create. Patterns of 0s and 1s in a computer are converted to words and processes, just as patterns of neurons are converted to movements, thoughts, expressions and such. If someone has a better explination, or if I'm way off, I can't do a whole lot about that, I'm an engineer (or studying to be one) not a doctor lol.

Either way, it depends on what you consider intelligence. Can a computer make decisions? Yes. Can it make decisions based on past data? Yes. Can it be creative? I don't know. It won't be long before a computer can exceed the human brain in calculations per second, maybe that's what it takes to be intelligent.

Ultimately it'll come down to: does the computer know it's a computer? Which is no different than asking if a cat knows its a cat, or a fish knows its a fish. Self-awareness. And personally, I don't believe anything close to that will happen in our lifetimes. We can produce computers with more memory, more independance, more power, but they will still require a human input at some point. It's not like we can hand a book to a computer and tell it to learn.
75 RNG elite 75 BLM 75 PLD 75 SMN
Windurst Rank 10
Bastok Rank 10
San d'Oria Rank 10
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

AI is one thing. Artificial consciousness is another. Or rather a bunch of others.

Passing the Turing test is programing, and requires no consciousness.

Artificial consciousness is far deeper, touching on philosophy, and requires a definition of just what is consciousness. Something we do not have quite yet.

For instance, science recently discovered that magpies recognize themselves in a mirror. This is a part of self awareness, and that is a part of consciousness. How big a part? That's where philosophy comes in. Maybe theology too.

In some ways cars have limited self awareness today. But consciousness? Not near yet. Not even with GM adopting a Microsoft operating system (while quite funny this is not a joke, 10 years from now it will be though).

I have often said that an MMOLRPG would be a great place for a in depth Turing test.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Ya GM Adopting windows operating system, meanwhile your already shitty trip computer starts flashing the blue screen of death >.>;

Artifical Intelligence is something we shouldn't be messing around with. I, Robot may be science fiction but it's very real possiblity. It's like Resident Evil. In WWII an underground lab came close to reanimating corpses, the Federal Government shut it down and destroyed the chemicals they were using.

Machine's already turn on their users. so IF an AI robot turns on their users.... Can you say that stupid Droid Wars cartoon? Or IG-88 from star wars? *shudder* Zombie's are easy to kill, machine's are not. We rely too much on artificial intelligence as is.
Warrior 81/Ninja 37 | Samurai 85/Warrior 40 | Puppetmaster 76/Warrior 37 | Dancer 41/Ninja 16
Solo WS=Raging Rush 2282 vs Boreal Hound | Salaheem's Sentinal's <> SECOND LIEUTENANT
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

If you think about it, what happened in the Terminator movies could be possible. Our computers keep getting better and better seems like every month. Eventually scientists will come up with a computer that has an astounding AI.

Like they said in the movies though, its better to keep humans in the loop than to turn over your entire military into the grips of one super computer.

I think I could have worded my post a little better but its been a long Monday. I'll prolly get into this more later. 8)
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Shirai wrote:Hmmm. no.
You forget, people are generally stupid :P
Karou Ariyen
Rampageing Lunatic

Post by Karou Ariyen »

Sugami wrote:
Shirai wrote:Hmmm. no.
You forget, people are generally stupid :P
I refer you to the futurama episode where Bender was dating the ships AI Computer. And when he breaks up with her, Ala Alien scene as she cuts life support. Also... HAL ANYONE?! "I'm sorry Dave, I can't let you live anymore."

And what about George Jetson? Anyone gonna stop that crazy thing? Okay not a robot but still funny right?
xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Markov gets put to the test.

Post by xaresity »