DrK Maat Fight

A place to talk about... anything!
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

DrK Maat Fight

Post by Pheonixhawk »

So I finally decided why not do my DRK fight, seeing as I am lvl 75 and all. I went out got my thick gear, bought a lvl 70 scythe (Havoc) and geared up for battle. Had 1 Vile-Elixer from my rdm maat fight (I never used it lol) 5 hi-pots, 4 Sleeping pots, 1 Icuras Wing and my opo-opo necklace. Heres how it went.

Walked in and slept to full TP.

Woke up and cast absorb -STR on Maat.

Used Drain II on Maat and guillotine him for 700 dmg.

Took a few more swings (he was at 50% now) and Maat popped Blood Weapon.

I used stun and ran around for 30 seconds until it wore off while popping my Hi-pots (used only two of em).

I had about 600 health left so I popped my Blood Weapon + Souleater. swung until my health was near full and then used my Icarus wing.

Used Guillotine (Souleater wore off) and did another 700 and something dmg.

At the same time I Used Guillotine, maat had popped Asuran Fist. He did like 900 and something dmg nearly raping me.

But when the dust settled I was alive and Maat was dead.

Drk Maat Fight ---> 1/1

Rdm Maat Fight --> 1/10
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Ah, thats why Eviljoel had so much trouble.

I figured out now that Asuran Fists ate up 700 health WITH Stoneskin up. So, either way, I was going to be dead from it ; ;.

1/2 on RDM Maat and 1/1 on WHM Maat.

Anyway, grats. Although, it was a bit... too fair. I mean, a level75 DRK up against Maat :lol:
Rishutlaw
Tomcat

Post by Rishutlaw »

Is DRK a fun job to play? I'm intrieged by the thought of weilding a scythe.
Kiraku: [lvl 44 SAM] [Lvl 33 MNK] [lvl 25 WAR] [lvl 15 BST] [lvl 10 BLM] [lvl 10 WHM] [lvl 21 THF]

[img]http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p192/okanestar789/Kir071223003827a.jpg[/img]
http://gamerhaven.forumotion.com/index.htm
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Its fun, but I wouldnt suggest it as one of your first jobs to play.... You have to be very controlled with what you do as a drk, otherwise its death to not only you, but maybe also your party depending on the circumstance. But if you feel as though your familiar enough with the game, then Give DRK a go. It starts off slow but as soon as you hit lvl 60 it will be worth it. Casting Vampiric Magic, Break 1k dmg on VT mobs (and Sometimes IT), Using one of the strongest 2H weapons in the game, and getting to wear sexy DarkSteel Black Armor. Heck I don't think ill ever play another job. =) (Then again, thats what I said about rdm. lol)
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Rishutlaw wrote:Is DRK a fun job to play? I'm intrieged by the thought of weilding a scythe.
If you have the patience to wait for the slowest weapons in the game to swing, it can be fun.

If you remember that DRK can be a powerful debuffer, it can be even more fun.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Tsybil wrote:
Rishutlaw wrote:Is DRK a fun job to play? I'm intrieged by the thought of weilding a scythe.
If you remember that DRK can be a powerful debuffer, it can be even more fun.
I have no idea why people don't use DRK debuffs more often or why DRK's aren't smarter about using them. Most of them just do ABS-STR/DEX, which are about the worst ones the DRK has. They only buff the DRK.

ABS-VIT! It's 15+ VIT absorbed. That's exactly the same as giving EVERY single melee in the party +15 STR. ABS-AGI is similar. It's like giving every melee +15 DEX -- including the DRK.

A well played DRK is amazing for XP and helps a great deal for every HNM zerg you do, too. You'll probably have to convince the RDM to keep the DRK refreshed, though. Most RDM let the DRK's mp get stale. ; ;

BTW, if you do play DRK, be sure you keep Great Sword capped. At least until level 40, GSW beats Scythe at every level for DPS. G.Axe does really well and so does 2xAxe. All of those out-dps Scythe. I haven't played DRK past 40 yet, so can't comment on higher level weapons. IIRC, there's a level 40 Scythe that finally tops GSW by a bit.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Okuza wrote:....Most [DRK's] just do ABS-STR/DEX, which are about the worst ones the DRK has. They only buff the DRK.

ABS-VIT! It's 15+ VIT absorbed. That's exactly the same as giving EVERY single melee in the party +15 STR. ABS-AGI is similar. It's like giving every melee +15 DEX -- including the DRK.
TOTAL agreement.
Okuza wrote:....You'll probably have to convince the RDM to keep the DRK refreshed, though. Most RDM let the DRK's mp get stale.
Funny thing. If a DRK uses their MPs, I refresh them. If they don't.... well....
Okuza wrote:BTW, if you do play DRK, be sure you keep Great Sword capped. At least until level 40, GSW beats Scythe at every level for DPS. G.Axe does really well and so does 2xAxe. All of those out-dps Scythe. I haven't played DRK past 40 yet, so can't comment on higher level weapons. IIRC, there's a level 40 Scythe that finally tops GSW by a bit.
Actually till ~ L 40, its /WAR, Axe Belt, and Gaxe for the most damage. DPS is right up there, +5 to skill, and Sturmwind.....
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Dont use Absorb Anything other than Absorb TP. Seriously, you all do know that the DRK spells have a decay effect right? And the fact that usually the absorb spells get resisted. Yeah sure Absorb Dex gives a nice +15dex to everyone....for about 15 seconds.... then It wears off burning a crap load of the drks mp post lvl 40. After lvl 40 youll be partying with refreshers but whats the point when it will have a 80% chance of getting the "Absorb-(name) spell fails to take effect" message, and this is with Dark Magic capped. The Decay Effect drops the spells buff effect by 1 or 3 (Cant remember) per tick.

As for lvling, yeah its nice having a GA and all, but personally I stuck with Scythe and GS. GS will be your money maker, because it has a pretty decent DPS on it compared to your very very very high delay scythe. As for axe, well I suppose you could lvl that up too, but I didn't. I have no intention on ever subbing ninja with drk. It drops Hp, STR, and overall dmg, just to have 7 shadows.... Yes you live longer, but its not fun seeing the other melee out DD you by miles.

For my sub jobs I went

1-60 DRK/WAR

60-74 DRK/THF

75 DRK/THF/WAR/SAM

Each sub has a perk and a downfall.

WARRIOR - This is the highest DD sub. You put out HUGE numbers.... but you die alot easier as /war with all the hate you pull from a warrios job abilites.

THEIF - Great for putting out high number SPIKE dmg. You can also assist in sticking hate on the tank. Great for the party, lower DPS.

SAMURAI - TP spamming fun for everyone. Youll prolly get alot of hate, but youll have a defensive tool (Evade 1 attack, 3 with Seigan I think), plus aother abilites to help you hit harder, faster, and with more precision.

Each sub is equally useful, and its all situational. Up to you to choose what sub you really want to go with.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

How hard do you find it to get a party as a Drk anymore? Back when I was lvling my Drk not too many pt's were interested in Drk's.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Invites have gone up alot ever since that two handed weapon update. But ive never had a problem lvling because whenever I didn't get a invite, I just made my own parties. Which sadly is how I got from lvl 1-60 (made every single one of em)
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Taking DRK to 37 for a subjob, I never made a party, and I never had a problem. This was before the 2 handed weapon upgrade and long after the rush to level ToAU jobs.

As for subjobs, lets face it, before L 20 there are no good melee subs, so I went /RDM. From 20 - 30 /RNG is about the best, but I didn't have it available so I went /WHM 22 - 28 for Cure II. From 30 - 37 I bit the proverbial bullet and leveled WAR to 18, used the Axe Belt and mostly Greataxe.

I had little problems keeping three weapons capped till the 20s somewhere. In the 30s, I often couldn't cap two between levels.

Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Dragoon is a great sub job up to lvl 37. You get a nice 2H weapon acc, jump for a little bit of extra added dmg, and lastly you dont lose any hp from using say a mage job. I also used blm for higher dmg with my nukes. =P
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

/DRG doesn't offer Accuracy Bonus I until Lv60, it gives Attack Bonus I at Lv20 (which you'd already have as a DRK).
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

For DRK, I use /nin almost exclusively. It's by far the best SJ around if you have even semi-decent gear. You'll end up pulling hate and then tanking. If you use Souleater a lot, /nin is even better -- you only take damage from your hits and not also from the critter.

I've found that when duo'ing with drk+whm, Using SE is far better than trying to just use regular DD to slay things. You kill it faster and require far less MP over the long run. It's a great way to tack on chain+1 to your XP.

If I didn't have to worry about tanking so much, I'm not sure what I'd sub. Maybe BLM for more MAB & Conserve & MP. Maybe DNC if I had it -- I've heard it's a hot sub for many melee (more healing never hurts). War 30+ for Berserk, 50+ for DA. Maybe SAM for Hasso & Meditate. Maybe THF so WS doesn't put agro on me.

As far as Absorb-VIT goes, well, I never get resisted on my little DRK and I've never ever heard of DRK-75s that had even the slightest problem sticking it nearly 100%. You will have serious issues sticking any debuff to HNMs -- even "little" NMs like Dynamis Xarca Demons resist a ton. Regular critters up through IT should be no problem, though.

BTW, if you're basing this on HHM resists, then it's no wonder. Assuming DRK debuffs are at all like Ninjutsu debuffs, you'll need 8x dark skill merits and about +30 or more in gear before you can even think about maybe sometimes debuffing an HNM at a decent percentage rate.
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

Buu! /SAM FTW! Just don't be a muppet, constantly use Seigan and Third Eye, only switch to Hasso for WS. I've seen so many Lv.75 players think /SAM is only great for Hasso and Meditate :oops: :roll:

Store TP II and Meditate kick 5 shades of poo out of /NIN for TP gain, not to mention Seigan/Hasso/Third Eye is instant and only pauses your attack timer briefly where Utsusemi can stop it for up to 5 seconds, more time that you aren't attacking.

Ontop of which Seigan can allow you to counter attacks meaning even more damage! And it's a hell of a lot cheaper :P

Speaking of which I really need /SAM for my DRG :( I refuse to use NIN sub and WAR sub will get me killed very quickly.
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Seigan is level 35. My DRK is only 42 and SAM is 34. ^^

While duo'ing down low when there aren't people to make a real party, I've found that drk+whm is not nearly as nice as sam+blm. The whm duo is safer, but the sam+blm duo brings in more XP. It's a race to see if we can kill it before it kills us!
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

I dont sub ninja out of my own preference. I lose the abilility to stick hate on things with thf (or even use flee if things got sticky), fight with a power up 70% of the time with /war. Or even have the wonderful Store TP / Meditate / Siegan / Hasso / Third Eye with Sam for what? 7 shadows? What happens when you fight a mnk type NM? Those shadows get wasted. Yes I know it would be nice to fight and use souleater, but seriously, if im gonna solo anything, or duo anything, I WONT be using souleater unless I know whatever it is im fighting, will die from it. Same as in exp parties. I wont use souleater unless I know whatever we are fighting will die. The only exception with that is using Bloodweapon + souleater. Players say Drk two hour is weak, but to me, Regaining 300+ health per swing is FRIGGIN SWEET. :lol:

That being said I have seen some players use Drk/nin and dual wield Axes. Personally I dont agree with them, but hey everyone has thier own play styles. Drk's have a B- rating in Axes I think. So the dmg isnt too far off. Yes, with /nin you have a higher rate of survival in parties which is why some use it. Thing about me tho, is I dont care if I end up face down in the dirt. I just want the mob to feel some pain. And oddly enough, I dont die very often. A few tips are, if you really want to put out some high dmg, use Dred Spikes. With the mob hitting you for 100+ and getting drained for that much, and you ripping 1k dmg + having berserk and Lastresort + Souleater up It wont live long enough to hurt you. As for HNM's I wont say anything about them. Because I have never fought one YET. But I will one day. :D
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD