Dancers, Maidens of the Battlefield (22/10/2007)

A place to talk about... anything!
Sugami
Anime cat

Dancers, Maidens of the Battlefield (22/10/2007)

Post by Sugami »

http://www.playonline.com/pcd/topics/ff ... etail.html

Maiden of the Battlefield
'Tis the beatin' of the heart what lays the foundation. Ye embrace it with yer whole body, and then e'er so gently start tappin' out the steps. Yer blood gets t'bubblin' an' ye can hear it percolatin' about in there. An' then ye might stick a twirlin' turn and send it rushin' t'all yer extremities. Shimmies straight up the spine and sends a shudder clean through ye, it does. After that, then she's mine an' no mistakin'. Haven't the faintest where I be or how I got there, I just am. An' everyone around fuels me, each of 'em offerin' up their own music--a symphony o' souls. An' that's yer rhythm. Ye cannot help but dance.

[Dancer Laila Brilioth, following a seminal performance on Jeuno's Artisan Bridge in the year 884]

And so it was that in former times that dancers became truly sought after as battleworthy allies. Word soon spread of their inspiring ability to allay the troubled hearts of soldiers made uneasy by the trials and tribulations of the frontline, and of their prowess as heroines in their own right, staking their lives on the field of battle alongside the bravest of warriors. In this manner they came to garner immense favor and respect from all ranks in the great armies of Altana--such was the station of the dancer.
Their supple frames adorned in magnificent garments, dancing in plain view on the battlefield, boldly defying downpour after downpour of beastman arrow, the dancers bestowed countless of Altana's legions with both courage and resolve, earning them the title "maidens of the battlefield." Juxtaposed to this was their infamy among their enemies as "maidens of death," feared for their mastery of an unknown and foreign art.
The origins of the esoteric tradition known as the Kriegstanz are revealed below.

Revelry in Totentanz
Come now, and dance with these bones!
Spin and turn, in life and in death!
Pauper, sage, even the nobleman knows,
They are all, in the end, of life bereft!
Savor now, doomed fool, and make merry this night!
Sing and croon, in life and in death!
Old hag, young beauty, even the sweet child knows,
In time, a bleached skull, is all will be left!

[a verse from the ancient "Bastokan Song of the Damned"]

This verse rose to prominence in dark days as the republic was ravaged by the Bastokan Blight.
On top of the already horrific and growing number of victims, unsubstantiated rumors and utter despair spread rampant through all quarters of the city. It was in this climate of social turmoil that the Bastokan Song of the Damned was taken up by the masses. Using magic to animate the remains of the deceased, throngs of the hopeless and grieving would choke the streets in processions of living and dead, booming in chorus as they danced the Totentanz in a form of morbid catharsis.

Despite the government's initial efforts to quarantine those infected by the blight, the frenzied nightly gatherings were at first reluctantly tolerated. This changed however, as the growing popularity of the Totentanz carried it to the frontlines of battle, where the crazed enthusiasm generated by the now ritualistic dancing led no small number of soldiers to neglect their posts. This being an unacceptable state of affairs in wartime, a series of prohibitions was promptly issued with unforeseen results...
An air of insurgency and rebellion swept the people, as dancing crowds began to take to the streets even with the sun still high in the sky. President Wilhelm was left with no recourse but to declare a state of emergency and mobilize the republic's main garrison of Galkan troops against the citizenry to suppress the escalating chaos. It is indeed a sad page in Bastokan history.

It so happened that in those days, mountainfolk from the hinterlands of the Gustaberg region would sometimes travel to Bastok to peddle medicinal herbs. The quelling of the near-maniacal outbreaks of saturnalia would find its form in the native dancers of these tribes. With no hesitation despite the apparent dangers of contagion to themselves, they would roam the city streets and visit barracks, displaying the aggressive yet graceful steps of their people's traditional dance, the Kriegstanz, with a timeless elegance. The majestic rhythms pounded out by these confident women and their motions, full of life, captivated observers instantaneously. And it was not long before the morose Totentanz rituals faded away as quickly as they had come. Some years later, the significant role the dancers played in the defeat of the deadly epidemic which claimed so many Bastokan lives was commemorated by the president in a now famous speech: "Though none can deny the scientific strides made by our great alchemists in curing this foul plague, praise is due also to those fearless masters of dance who came to us in our most dire hour. For it was their impassioned artistry that delivered us from the tyranny of this most lethal of epidemics, and the terror which had fast gripped our very hearts." And so it was that the dancers came to be credited with ending the Bastokan Blight.

In wake of its success and popularity during the blight, the Kriegstanz became a well-established school of dance, the study of which was such a grueling task that finding successors to carry on the tradition became quite a chore in its own right. It is not without some hint of irony that the second coming of the dancers would require a tragedy on the scale of the Crystal War--with the very fate of Bastok in the balance--to bring it about.

Knowing Kriegstanz
One would be remiss to relegate the arts of
dance and combat to separate fields. A
masterful dance can be the most lethal of
weapons; a skillful fight, the most elegant
of dances. Alas, there does exist one point
of departure between the two. Whereas
martial beauty is a byproduct of precise
execution, the techniques of dance are a
thing of beauty in and of themselves. The
whole corpus of the Kriegstanz, though no
doubt applicable to combat,primarily, and
perpetually, seeks beauty.

[an excerpt from the dogmatic "Kriegstanzian Musings," composed by Annika Brilioth]

Held in high regard as both first-class entertainers and as accomplished martial artists, the dancers are driven by an insatiable passion for their art. Entirely devoid of timidity on both the stage and the battlefield, dance requires the most absolute resolve. Only one who has honed these traits and devoted their very life to the beauty and perfection of the art itself is worthy of being deemed "Dancer."
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I'll point out the title, "Dancers, Maidens of the Battlefield".

"Maidens" obviously refers to females. I didn't think SE would make a sex specific job but this is strongly pointing towards it.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

You beat me too it! I was just about to post this :)

Yea, I had the same reaction when I saw SE's post and it definetly seems like the Krieg-w/e style is exclusively female- which will tick off a few of the men in my ls no end. Should be fun to watch :lol:

BUT- SE also mentioned the Totentaz (sp?) necro-style so it could be that the men resurrect* that school to get in on the frilly action. SE isn't against "outlaw" classes- theives aren't exactly good guys after all and both Summoners and Corsairs were/are outlawed as well.

We'll have to see- and the next few weeks will be verrrrry exciting!

Personally- I'm not exactly thrilled by the new job (really wish SE would stop handing out enfeebles to other jobs and give RDM some- or at least scale ours better) but DNC's history is pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to seeing what the other new jobs are.

*Pun intended- I've been up for the past 2 hrs (5 am wake up call from Iraq) and have had waaaaaaaaaayyyy too much coffee- excuse me while I go get some more :lol:
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Spin and turn, in life and in death!
Pauper, sage, even the nobleman knows,
They are all, in the end, of life bereft!
Sing and croon, in life and in death!
Old hag, young beauty, even the sweet child knows,
In time, a bleached skull, is all will be left!

....It was in this climate of social turmoil that the Bastokan Song of the Damned was taken up by the masses. Using magic to animate the remains of the deceased, throngs of the hopeless and grieving would choke the streets in processions of living and dead, booming in chorus as they danced the Totentanz in a form of morbid catharsis.
We wanted a Pirate and a Gun Mage. We got both in Corsair.

Will Dancer include Necromancer?

And if so, how will it work in a world without persistent corpses?
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

I know. from what I understand that's the reason why SE nixed dev of necro in the first place since only being able to call skeles during either night time or in dungeons would really limit players trying to level it.

Could be that if the totentanz school is revived* only the specific dance for raising the dead is limited to night/dungeon play but still letting the Dancer use other dances/techniques during the day- don't know really, just speculating.

One other thing that struck me- the "frenzied nightly gatherings" and "crazed enthuisiasm" could be alluding too some sort of charm/charmga ability. And since a lot of undead do charm...

Anyway, I am glad SE is (at least with Dancer) visiting Bastok's history. I know the Blight is mentioned in the game, but never really in any depth- hope the other jobs explore the nations' history some too.

That pun was unintended- honest!
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

I'm sure SE will mention something in the storyline (or hell, they might wait till the Quest to unlock the job itself) to mention why males can be considered dancers as well.

All in all tho, WEEEEE!

And Phe, you crack me up at times. :lol:
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

There is a npc in the Whitegate Alchemists Guild who references the Bastokan Blight, and a npc in Bastok Markets who recalls the time he was sent to guard a bridge against a near rebellious mob in Bastok. Now the history of such things makes more sense.

Also, I'd like to say I like where SE is going with this, tying dancing and combat in. My father has always said that when he learned how to danced, he fought better. If only because fighting takes a knowledge of body movement and footing that dancing enhances naturally. (My dad does sword combat in the SCA and he's also a brown belt in Judo. I envy him. >.> )
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

There's been at least one Vana'diel Tribune article (I think- might have just been one of those background articles SE posts on the site) about it as well- I'll see if I can't dig it up.

Edit- found this on the ToAU site- might be what I was recalling.
Chigoe

These small parasitic insects are the cause of an endemic disease in the Near East known as Chigoe Fever. Chigoes, or sand fleas, remain concealed beneath the sand until some unfortunate animal wanders past. The chigoe leaps an incredible distance to attach itself to the victim’s body, and then burrows under the skin to feed. The welts raised by these insidious pests are so painful, even a large animal can suffer a slow, wasting death when infested by enough parasites. According to the latest research by the Alchemists’ Guild, a virulent illness that once swept through Bastok is thought to have been the result of an invisible toxin transmitted through these deadly parasites.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

If you read the story bit carefully it states that magic was used to reanimate the dead and the Bastokians started dancing. Then the Dancers came along and showed them what dancing is all about.

I don't think the two are tied together.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

You're right- but it also goes on to mention that the Tot- developed into a ritualistic dance so its entirely possible that the spell necessary to reanimate the dead became a part of the dance itself.

Again- I'm just speculating and I know its probably far-fetched and completely off the mark. Fun though :lol:

Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

Maybe it could be a combo thing?

Like how, in FF9, Steiner and Vivi could work together so Steiner could add Elemental Damage to his attacks (At the cost of MP)
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Dancer doesnt really catch my attention.. at all. But Im wondering what the other two jobs will be. Id love to see another tank job and another support job.

*Granted im a Male Character so I may not be able to use dancer anyways, but id probably shoot my self with my own Cor AF weapon If I had to walk around boasting about being a "Maiden of the Dance"*
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

It's very doubtful Dancer will have anything about raising the dead, it's pretty out of character compared to the past FF games Dancer has been in.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

/em does the Thrillerrr dance.

/em does the Smooth Criminal dance for an encore.
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

If you want to do the Thriller dance, play as a female Necro in Guild Wars :P

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDFCN1l5ALM :lol:
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

If Dancer is female only I'm gonna be pissed.

I got a Galka all ready to go for Dancer and I was going to level his Dancer to 60 so he could walk around all day in Dancer AF.

I could level Dancer with Keavy, but where's the fun in that?
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Tianshii
Mad Cat

Post by Tianshii »

Here's my ponder on the dance of the dead thing... purrrrhaps in addition to skellies & other undead at night... you could maybe "raise" a beastman to do your bidding for a limited time?
I could see where that would be an issue.. like killing & using the same one over and over, so that would have to be prevented, but maybe something along those lines?
Or maybe the charm thing... Maybe they'll be able to "charm" beastmen & undead?
:?:
Regardless, I am curious. More so because I was a dancer IRL for like 8 years & I think this would just be something fun to play :P I plan to try it for sure!
Assassen Summoner
[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o233/PuszNboots/sigs/Tianshii_this.jpg[/img]
SMN75~SAM75~whm75~thf42~DNC38~drg33
Eviticus
'Insignificant Adventurer'

Post by Eviticus »

Tianshii wrote:Here's my ponder on the dance of the dead thing... purrrrhaps in addition to skellies & other undead at night... you could maybe "raise" a beastman to do your bidding for a limited time?
I could see where that would be an issue.. like killing & using the same one over and over, so that would have to be prevented, but maybe something along those lines?
Or maybe the charm thing... Maybe they'll be able to "charm" beastmen & undead?
Why are undead even brought up? Did I miss something? The Dancers are refered to as following Kriegstanz, where as the dead are mentioned in Totentanz. The only mention of animating the dead comes from where they say Magic does it, not dance. The fact that the undead danced doesn't necissarily connect them either. The Dancers in fact came to Bastok to put an end to that undead nonsense.
In the end, I'm just talking out of my ass. So take it all with a grain of salt.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[b]Rank 10 Bastok. Rank 2 Sandy.[/b] Pup 75, Drg 72, Brd 71, Thf 37, War 39, Sam 38, Blm 40, Rdm 22, Whm 40, Mnk 37, Nin 14, Pld 38, Bst 15, Drk 30, Smn 15, Blu 19, Rng 13, Dnc 24, Cor 11.
Paragon of Dragoon Excellence.
Paragon of Bard Excellence.
Paragon of Puppetmaster Excellence.
[quote="Keavy"]Evi still winnarz.[/quote]

[img]http://e.1asphost.com/AJSB1986/wyv-burn.jpg[/img]
Tianshii
Mad Cat

Post by Tianshii »

well, i'm just speculating on other peoples speculations for fun.
in all honesty i could just as easily wait until it comes out to see for sure what the deal is with dancer because w/e we are guessing doesn't really matter to SE :roll:

so on the fun part i invite y'all to take another look close at this pic
mayyybe dancers will totally STOP battle :shock: see how those guys brawling (or w/e they are freakin' doing >.> ) are gawking at the dancer...
:?:
Assassen Summoner
[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o233/PuszNboots/sigs/Tianshii_this.jpg[/img]
SMN75~SAM75~whm75~thf42~DNC38~drg33
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Evi- the story mentions how the citizens of Bastok would gather at night, magicians would raise their fallen friends/family (ie, raise the dead) and they'd all dance the Totentanz, chanting and stomping in chorus.

By the time the Crystal War broke out it was now a ritualized dance that when danced would make the soldiers abandon their duties to take it up.

I theorized that since the original dancers were all women and that since there are several jobs in the game that are considered "outlaw" or "heretical" by the powers that be already- its possible that men became dancers originally through learning the Totentanz and then learned the maiden's style of dance.

I then got a little theory happy and started wondering if SE will keep the Totentanz as a spell-dance to call the undead and/or/perhaps there might be a charm/charmga dance as well. The corse ENM in Attawha Chasm of the same name was what made me think of it.

Oh- just found this when I went to double check the name of the ENM on the wiki-
Totentanz is German for "death dance". It is the German translation of the Danse Macabre (Dance of Death). Danse Macabre is a Medieval European allegory about death affecting every person, be they peasant, feudal lord, clergyman, or king. The dance of death unites all humans across class strata. Danse Macabre was usually depicted in the form of a painting or engraving (occasionally in the form of a play), showing death in the form of a dancing skeleton leading a line of dancers to the grave, a line which included usually the skeletons of a king or emperor, a pope, a monk, a woman, and a child. The Danse Macabre originated after the Black Death swept through Europe, killing between one-quarter and one-third of the continent's entire population between 1347-1351 CE, when the people realized how easy it was to die and how death could claim anybody. It is also believed the recurrent famines of the 13th & 14th Centuries also contributed to the development of this allegory.

One of the few examples of the Danse Macabre in the form of a play came from Germany (Totentanz). The play would consist of a series of short conversations between Death and its victims.

Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

I think it's highly unlikely we'll see a necro-esque ability from Dancer, this "dance of the dead" if added may just be a Raisega like the equivalent of what BRD has.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Could be :)

I was just playing with theories- I'm not really all that serious about any of them and they're certainly not half as crazy as some of the other ones I've seen/heard of :lol:

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Dancers, Maidens of the Battlefield (22/10/2007)

Post by xaresity »

xaresity
Queen Cat

Re: Dancers, Maidens of the Battlefield (22/10/2007)

Post by xaresity »

сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайт
сайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтсайтtuchkasсайтсайт