I can't use two-handed weapons.
25%

Total votes: 8

Leane
Irresponsible Adventurer

Battle System Adjustments (08/14/2007)

Post by Leane »

Battle System Adjustments (08/14/2007)

The August version update will bring revisions to the use of two-handed weapons, as well as a number of modifications to several jobs.
In this edition of Topics, we would like to elaborate on the changes that will be made to the two-handed weapon system. Job changes will be described in length in a future Topics article.

Click here for details.

Details Below

The August version update will bring revisions to the use of two-handed weapons, as well as a number of modifications to several jobs.
In this edition of Topics, we would like to elaborate on the changes that will be made to the two-handed weapon system. Job changes will be described in length in a future Topics article.

Two-handed weapons

Up until now, there have been instances in which the attack frequency and speed generated by dual wielding would greatly surpass those of two-handed weapons. We have since examined this issue from every conceivable angle, and as a result have decided to reconsider the frequency and delay calculation methods for two-handed weapons.

This month's version update will see the introduction of a new type of gear called "grips," which players can equip in their offhand weapon slot when using a two-handed weapon. We are also planning to apply changes to associated weapon skills as well.

Attacking with two-handed weapons

The new modifications will be set up so that a character's attribute scores will enhance attack benefits to a greater extent when wielding a two-handed weapon than when using a single-handed weapon. Further, when attacking high-level opponents or enemies with high defense, two-handed weapons will deal more damage than they have in the past.

A word on grips

While not designed to bring about radical improvements, grips are a new lineup of items which can be used in tandem with two-handed weapons as a means of wielding them more effectively. They accomplish this by enhancing a weapon's benefits while compensating for shortcomings. Grips will not be limited to offensive weapons, as some will be tailored to mages and their indispensable staves.
Different grips will allow players to adapt to specific situations depending on the type of two-handed weapon they are using, as well as the type of enemy they are fighting. Players should be advised, however, that changing grips mid-combat will result in a loss of TP. Therefore, no grip's benefits will be restricted to the execution of weapon skills.

Rethinking weapon skills

The majority of two-handed weapon skills already stand to see a vast improvement based on the changes described above. However, we will also be retooling the characteristics of several particular weapon skills in order to enhance their usability.
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

To quote a drk from my LS:
Hurray, now I can whiff even faster!!

But seriously, that actually is a pretty good thing!
Especially for Dark knights, Dragoons and to some extend even Samurai even though they get TP fast enough.
Anime-Planet.com - anime | manga | reviews
[21:36] <MarkovBot> Markov2.0, sanity is boring.
FFXI: Asura - 14/22 jobs @99
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Post by ScarlettPheonix »

I've verrry interested in seeing how the grips designed for mages work out. If they're just for DD combat purposes- meh... but if there are some for casting boosts, {Yes, Please}!!
[img]http://www.geocities.com/fieryscarlettpheonix/1job18subs.jpg[/img]
[color=darkred][i]Red Mage[/i][/color]
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Vatrina
Tomcat

Post by Vatrina »

My bow's a 2-handed weapon right? Even if I have a dagger and sword in my hands, I gotta put both of them down to pick up my bow so as RNG I should get these new bonuses too right?

(Sorry, stupid thought for the day.)
75 RNG elite 75 BLM 75 PLD 75 SMN
Windurst Rank 10
Bastok Rank 10
San d'Oria Rank 10
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

And this would affect a RDM just how? :lol: :lol: :lol:

The only 2 handed weapons we can equip are Staves. And we have no staff skill.

Ah well, we aren't supposed to melee anyway.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

This has me rather excited personally. Granted, yes, it's something else we'll have to buy, but this may be the beginning of the end of the "/NIN only" mentality, or at least one can hope (tho I'm not holding my breath). More of a reason to use Great Axe on WAR? Hell yeah! :lol:
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

The DRG forums are psyched about this and I am too, just hope they won't f*ck this idea up and make the grips stupidly expensive or something.

Just as a comparison the picture shows a Lv.55 item with Delay-3%, a /NIN with Duel Wield II gets Delay-15% I believe so I do hope there are better grips than that.
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Tsybil wrote:And this would affect a RDM just how? :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pretty much my reaction too :lol:

If however there are grips that have various boosts for casting (conserve MP, Fast cast, skill + boosts, MP, etc) it might be interesting to play around with them.
Windurst 10/ZM14/PM [i]finis[/i]/ToAU [i]finis[/i]/SGT(P)/WotG [i]Emblem of the Holy Knight §§§§[/i]

[url=http://scarlett-insertwittytitlehere.blogspot.com/]My not interesting at all blog[/url]
Leane
Irresponsible Adventurer

Post by Leane »

I foresee...
MND+
INT+
MP+
magic attack bonus
magic accuracy+
and magic skill+

well the first 3 of those any way, the latter 3 would be nice though
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

ScarlettPheonix wrote:

Pretty much my reaction too :lol:

If however there are grips that have various boosts for casting (conserve MP, Fast cast, skill + boosts, MP, etc) it might be interesting to play around with them.
*derails thread for a second*
Scarlett, where did you get your avatar pic at? I like the artowork, looks well done. :D

*resume thread* :P
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

*continuation of derailment* I've got the full pic she got it from somewhere on my hard drive, tho I've no clue who the artist is. Random imageboards with Mithra threads ftw! XD *end derail again*

I'm thinking that a lot more of the boost to 2-handed weapons is going to come from the adjustments to the weapons themselves, rather than the grips, the grips are just a boost to the adjustments.

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

I'm thinking of a system somewhat similiar to the Monk's H2H skill.

You know how a Monk's damage slowly increases as they skill up. Well, my idea is this.

As you skill up in 2H weapons (Great Axes, Great Swords, Scythes, Great Katanas, Polearms, Staves, and etc...), the delay goes down.

The delay won't make a vast improvement, but just like with the Monk's, the delay decrease /will/ become rather noticable.

Of course, personally I think doing that would make Samurai even worse TP whores. Shove a Hagun or Soboro Katana at the and *Gulp* it'll be like a odd combination of Meikyo + Many 5/6 Wild Rolls (Corsair 2hr).
Sugami
Anime cat

Post by Sugami »

For all you mages, just hope that you won't have to re-equip the grip everytime you switch staves :oops:
ScarlettPheonix
Queen Cat

Knowing SE we probably would too /sigh

Kintrra wrote:*continuation of derailment* I've got the full pic she got it from somewhere on my hard drive, tho I've no clue who the artist is. Random imageboards with Mithra threads ftw! XD *end derail again*
Yup, someone (maybe it was you Kintrra :P) posted it here a looong time ago and I saved it to my PC. I actually bookmarked the thread since there were other pics I liked in it, but most of them had been taken down when I went back to check the links :(

Here's the full pic.

Leane
Irresponsible Adventurer

Post by Leane »

Sugami wrote:For all you mages, just hope that you won't have to re-equip the grip everytime you switch staves :oops:
If we need to we can just add it into our staff swapping macros
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

Sauce. Thanks Kintrra and Scarlett :D
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

Meh, not a problem, lemme know if you need other Mithra Piccies, I can send you TONS of them (tho I don't guarantee them all to be rated PG, I just collect pictures that appeal to me artisticly, usually with little regard to nudity or such XD).

/derail off.....again :oops:

Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Kintrra wrote:Meh, not a problem, lemme know if you need other Mithra Piccies, I can send you TONS of them (tho I don't guarantee them all to be rated PG, I just collect pictures that appeal to me artisticly, usually with little regard to nudity or such XD).
Good art is good art, no matter what form or content. ;)
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

Kintrra wrote:Meh, not a problem, lemme know if you need other Mithra Piccies, I can send you TONS of them (tho I don't guarantee them all to be rated PG, I just collect pictures that appeal to me artisticly, usually with little regard to nudity or such XD).

/derail off.....again :oops:
lol same here, prolly have some of the same pics. Send me a pm or something and I can show ya a drawing a friend of mine in game did of my mithra last year. And yeah Id be interested to see what ya got for pics. ^^
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Of courrrse I'm interested in those pics Kintrra.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Holy crap, SE! I leave for a week due to computer issues and you institute a whole new thing to confuse and befuddle me.

Someone hold me, I'm scared, confused, and I don't know where my pants are. :shock:
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Bout Darn time SE decided to unscrew two handed weapons. It always frustrated me in the Mire during exp parties while we are fighting. All I saw was:

Drk (me) hits Target for 138 points of dmg.

Before I even swing my scythe or Great sword again.

Monk hits Target for 63 points of dmg.
Monk hits Target for 59 points of dmg.
Monk hits Target for 70 points of dmg.

Ninja hits Target for 40 points of dmg.
Ninja hits Target for 60 points of dmg.

Thief hits Target for 20 points of dmg.
Thief hits Target for 16 points of dmg.
Thief hits Target for 19 points of dmg.
Thief hits Target for 23 points of dmg.
Thief hits Target for 10 points of dmg.
Critical hit!
Thief hits Target for 50 points of dmg.

This is with me having +27 Str gear on and a whole lotta acc gear. Everytime I miss with my scythe I just wann log off and cry msyelf to sleep. :lol:
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Cry me a river loldrk. You know how much damage I deal with my toy hammer? Barely enough to bruise the mobs I need to fight for skillups.

lolwhm FTW
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

Ya, DRK is kind of a 2nd-tier DD job (a lot like THF) when it come to XP'ing. It's on fast TP-burn HNM kills that DRK really shines. Nothing comes even close to them there and they don't even need a kraken to do more than double of anyone else. That's a myth; regular rune-chopper drks do outstanding numbers, too.
Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

Keavy wrote:Cry me a river loldrk. You know how much damage I deal with my toy hammer? Barely enough to bruise the mobs I need to fight for skillups.

lolwhm FTW
ur a whm, ur not supposed to melee... :P
Shirai
Crazy Dutch Cat

Post by Shirai »

Ambrey wrote:
Keavy wrote:Cry me a river loldrk. You know how much damage I deal with my toy hammer? Barely enough to bruise the mobs I need to fight for skillups.

lolwhm FTW
Oh, really? =P

Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

Ambrey wrote:

lolwhm FTW
We can melee but shouldn't in parties.

Although there is a small segment of WHM's with insanely large bank accounts and amazing reflexes who are able to melee and heal. Still, considering the enmity built up when meleeing combined with what we build while curing, and add in the TP the added melee attacks give the mob along with our weak DEF rating and all I see is a recipe for disaster.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Keavy wrote:Still, considering the enmity built up when meleeing combined with what we build while curing, and add in the TP the added melee attacks give the mob along with our weak DEF rating and all I see is a recipe for disaster.
Those high level Regens are your friends.

I had a good friend who was a meleeing WHM, it used to both amuse and gall me that she had the time to melee and I hardly ever did.

Then again, WHMs have staff skill....

Ambrey
Teh Sexeh

Post by Ambrey »

Shirai wrote:
Ambrey wrote:

lolwhm FTW
Oh, really? =P

Just cause ur not supposed to doesnt mean you cant... :P
Fiye
Captain Fiye

Post by Fiye »

lol. Looks like you're getting your ass kicked.