A challenge

A place to talk about... anything!
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

A challenge

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

Design us a new tank and a new healer.

The tank must have different and unique hate holding tools, and different and unique damage mitigation/avoidance.

The new healer should operate in such a manner that it will not be a WHM lookalike.

Extra points for fitting either of these into a job name from previous FFXI games.

Extra credit for designing a FFXI necro.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Knight - Tank

The ability to use Defend, instantly grants hate and take the next couple of attacks without having any prior hate.

HAVE A EXTREMELY HIGH defense. They can only wear heavy armor.

Very Very low attack power.

Defends has a 30 second recast timer.

Knights gain a new job ability called Sacrifice at lvl 30. Allows the Knight to lose 25% of his HP to increase defense and increase the amount of time he keeps hate with Defend.

2 New abilities at lvl 50 called Midgate and Cancel - Midgatge instant stuns a target casting magic and gains hate. Cancel cancels out a WS and gains hate.

Job traits -

lvl 1 - Knightship (Other job abilities other than Knight JA's are halved, but increases the Defense of the Knight)

lvl 10 - Defense Bonus

lvl 15 - Resist Parlyze

lvl 20 - Knightship II

lvl 30 Defense Bonus II

lvl 37 - Resist Paralyze II

lvl 40 - Auto Defend (Occasionally used Defend without having to burn job ability on jobs who's health is in the Red)

lvl 50 - Defense Bonus III

lvl 70 - Absolute Defense (Randomly takes 0 damage after using defend)

lvl 75 - Knightship III

- Weaknesses

Slow attack job. Should have like a Great Sword or some type of 2 handed weapon such as GS, Scythe, Staff etc.

Weak Attack. Should rate a C+ in GS or whatever 2 handed weapon.

Weak Agains magic attacks.

Auto defend as good as it is, if the Knight is using a WS and auto defend goes off, then it gets cancelled.

Yeah I know this job would never happen but it was my favorite in FFIII. Still one can dream. Now naturally people would sub war or ninja with this job right? WRONG. Thanks to the knight lvl 1 job ability, suddenly ninja and war would be crappy sub job picks. lol
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Chemist - Healer

Job Traits -

lvl 5 Alchemy - Enchances item effects

lvl 10 Research - (Randomly allows healing type item to have an Area of
effect status, like a potion becomes potionga.)

lvl 25 Study - (Allows items to do double the damage)

lvl 35 Research II - (Increases the healing range and potency of healing
items.)

lvl 50 Failed Study - (Decreases effectiveness of damage type items
while increasing the potency of healing type items)

lvl 70 Research III

Job abilities -

lvl 5 Combo Mix (5 min timer) - Allows you to mix two non healing items
together and create a Aga type of effect.

lvl 15 Vaccination - Allows you to take a healing item and turn it into
(30 second timer) an area of effect type spell.

lvl 30 Discovery - Allows user to mix a damage type item and a healing
(10 min timer) type item to deal damage and heal party members

lvl 50 Risk - has a 50/50 chance of Tripling the effect of a healing item,
but if failed then halves the strength of the
healing item. (5 min timer)

lvl 70 Successive Combo - Allows the Chemist to mix 3
items and turn it into a damage or healing
type of AOE.

Spells -

Lvl 5 - Curaga

lvl 15 - Curaga II

lvl 30 - Curaga III

lvl 50 - Curaga IV

Strengths -

Can casts lots a -Aga spells, making it a great job for parties. They can mix damage items to deal decent damage, and also produce unknown effects. Lvl 70+ they can become damage dealers. Learns Curaga IV at lvl 50. Have a decent Defense and Enough HP to take a few hits.

Weaknesses - EXTREMELY easy to get hate from using job abilities and spells. Can not cast any single target magic. All damage is an AOE type of effect, meaning that if fightinig in a crowded area then it is unwise to deal any damage. Extremly Costly for items.

Weapons - New weapon called Spheres. Spheres are what are used to mix items together. Each Sphere can enhance a certain type of item or item effects. Example is a lvl 30 sphere might increase healing type items by 50% while a lvl 75 one might increast by 80% with poisona effect etc etc.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

"If I could have a bot program. I'd have an Auto-Tarupunt one. You know. As soon as you go AFK it punts all taru within the area. Priceless" ~ Blackwing of Phoenix Server
Okuza
Feral Cat

Post by Okuza »

The most original tank idea I saw in a long while was the Inquisitor for Vanguard, but it never made it into release. Basically, it didn't melee and didn't use armor. Instead, all it's abilities were magic driven. Torment for hate, fear for defensive, that kind of thing.

Every tank in every other MMORGP is a melee job of some kind. Lots of mitigation or lots of evasion to reduce damage. Some kind of variant on provoke for hate. Lifetaps or healing for flavoring. Dull dull dull.

The other fun original class from VG was the bloodmage. It did make it into the release and it was a lot of fun to play and very original. I'd take these two ideas over to FFXI.

--

If I were to do another tank for FFXI, which I really don't think FFXI needs at all, it would be an MP-based tank. Give a JA that swaps MP & HP totals (not convert, which swaps the current values) or maybe a spell that causes damage to be done to MP instead of HP for a while. Spells to mitigate. Spells to dodge. Spells for hate. Spells for damage. Pretty much zero melee ability at all. Give taru some tankiness.

Then, I'd do an HP-based "mage/healer". That's the "necro" for FFXI and it would give Galka some maginess. All the spells would be HP driven. Convert your HP to someone elses, steal HP from critters and give to you, etc. etc.. It doesn't need a pet, but various undead pets could be added as summonables for flavoring. Personally, I'd skip the pets, but I know people like them.
Alya Mizar (Tsybil)
Queen Cat

Post by Alya Mizar (Tsybil) »

I like that Knight idea PH, but you must understand one thing about Knights. They use swords. 1 handed, 2 handed, but swords are a "knightly" weapon. They were so fixated on swords that the Germans used sword shaped boar spears when out hunting those big pigs.

To a medieval knight, a Staff is a peasant's weapon and beneath him. A Scythe is an agricultural implement for pity's sake. Polearms were for his men at arms although he would be practiced in their use. Knights did use hammers and maces, even two handed versions.

C skill? No, no worse than B or he will not hit anything bigger than T at higher levels. but perhaps each level of Knightship would grant some small % slow along with it.

For the FFXI fanboys, add the name Chocobo in front and give him a 2 hour called "Call Mount". He would reappear on a pure white Destrier, with a couched lance, and charge the mob doing just tons of Piercing damage. For the rest of the 30 seconds he would fight with whatever melee weapon he was using, but mounted on his Chocobo. He would have all Hate and share damage with the mount.

Now for a Healer I favor a mixer like Riku. Can't call them Alchemists, but maybe Chemist or Synthesizer. Mix stuff up on the battlefield to get the effect.

Recipes...??? Bought? Earned somehow through the Alchemy Guild? Highly tunable so they can Heal, Debuff, Buff, and even Nuke. A weaponless RDM/BRD in overall effect limited basically by inventory space.

It would use the standard Synth/Trade interface so all casting times would be long. Maybe too long.... Maybe by a set of /item macros....

I haven't put near as much thought into this as you have though.
Red Mage 99, White Mage 50, Black Mage 75, SCH 99, Summoner 14, THF 25, BLU 25, NIN 50, WAR 18, DRK 50, DNC 49, PLD 50. Goldsmith 72 +2, Cooking 60 +2, Alchemy 41, Fishing 33, Rank 8, Windurst, Lakshmi (Garuda, I weep for you)

Red Mage 26 White Mage 11 Black Mage 12 Thief 16, Cooking 1, Rank 3, Windurst, Quez.
Keavy
Drunker than thou

Post by Keavy »

I want Calculator.

Their slogan could be "We wreck your sh*t with math!"
[b]WHM 75[/b] RDM 42 BLU 24 SCH 24 / [b]FTWindurst 10[/b] Sandy Oreo 5-1 RoZ 14 CoP 2-5 ToAU 15 Assault PSC
[img]http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a374/TehAsh/Keavysig.png[/img]
Custom sig courtesy of Krilldog.
[img]http://card.mygamercard.net/sig/Keavy+Rain.png[/img]
Keavy's thought for the day: "Grand Theft Auto IV has stolen my heart! :love:"
Kintrra
Queen Cat

Post by Kintrra »

The only problem I can see with that Knight idea PH, is that it already exists...we call them Paladins now. Seriously, Paladins replaced the "Knight" class from previous FFs. Our defense is ungodly (I can hit 500+ by myself, with no outside buffs), but it amounts to jack-crap in end-game (SE, wanna fix those damage equations some time so our defense means something maybe?), and in tank gear, I can't hit the broad side of a Marid. Honest truth. Joyeuse = double the misses in tank gear.

If it weren't for that, It's a damned good idea, tho I think that "Defend" idea of yours is something that should've been implemented on PLD to begin with. And that nice little "randomly negates physical damage" trait on Shadow Mantle? Yeah, that's something else we should've gotten. =\
OMFG! 8 75+!!!! :shock: Who knew slackers could work so hard? D:
And now a Miqo'te as well. >=D

Melee classes:PLD90/NIN90/WAR90/THF90/SAM83/MNK90/DNC46/DRK24/DRG12/COR8/PUP12/RNG5
Magic/Support Classes:WHM82/BLM87/BRD28/SMN35/RDM23/BLU8/SCH1
Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Kintrra wrote:The only problem I can see with that Knight idea PH, is that it already exists...we call them Paladins now. Seriously, Paladins replaced the "Knight" class from previous FFs. Our defense is ungodly (I can hit 500+ by myself, with no outside buffs), but it amounts to jack-crap in end-game (SE, wanna fix those damage equations some time so our defense means something maybe?), and in tank gear, I can't hit the broad side of a Marid. Honest truth. Joyeuse = double the misses in tank gear.

If it weren't for that, It's a damned good idea, tho I think that "Defend" idea of yours is something that should've been implemented on PLD to begin with. And that nice little "randomly negates physical damage" trait on Shadow Mantle? Yeah, that's something else we should've gotten. =\
Im not too sure how Pld works. Ive seen em use provoke, cover, and sentinal but thats about it. Defend was a trait from FFIII that knight had, which is why I focused so strongly on it. As for that absolute defense, well I had no idea there was a back piece that could do so. Maybe it was a new item recently added (havent been able to log on to FFXI for the past month). I really didnt put any planning to this. I just typed as I went along, and it only took about 10 mins to type those posts.
Last edited by Pheonixhawk on Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:35 am, edited 2 times in total.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD

Pheonixhawk
Queen Cat

Post by Pheonixhawk »

Following Okuza's statement I took a few minutes to look at previous FF jobs and the end result is:

Magic Knight

Job abilities -

lvl 5 Fuse - Allows the user to perform a random elemental spell when
(1 min timer) using a weapon skill to damage enemy.

lvl 15 M. Blast - Allows the next spell to hit the target with double
(5 min timer) the damage if used with Weapon Skill.

lvl 40 Double Cast - Instantly Casts the next spell twice without any delay
(10 min timer) or interruption.

lvl 60 Heavy Blow - Allows the user to Fuse an Elemental Spell with a
(10 min timer) Weapon Skill and deal double the damage.

Job traits

lvl 1 Mystic - Decreases Spell Interruption Rate.

lvl 10 W. Master - Allows the Magic Knight to attack faster with single
handed weapons.

lvl 30 Mystic II - Decreases Spell Interruption Rate.

lvl 50 W. Master II - Allows the Magic Knight to attack faster with single
handed weapons.

lvl 60. Split Attacks - Allows the damge of a Fused to attack to deal the
same amount of damage regardless of an enemy
monsters resistance. (Ill explain this more)

lvl 65. W. Master III - blah blah blah same as 1 and II.

lvl 70 Mystic III - I don't need to explain this. :lol:

Weapons - Sword B-, Axe B-, Dagger B

Spells (youll get a kick outta this)

1 - Torment (Increases Defense and has a chance of Petrifying Mob)

5 - Osmose (Drains a mobs mp to add to his own)

9 - Sypher (Steal a mobs Defense and adds it to your own)

10 - Fire, Water, and Aero

14 - Fear (Like Paralyze but stronger)

18 - Aura (Phalanx Pretty much)

All other spells are following this order. +4 lvls is a Tier II of normal spell from 1 - 18. Example. lvl 22 is Break II because its 4 lvls away from Aura. At lvl 20 The Magic Knight would learn Blizzard, and Thunder. At lvl 30 Fire II etc. lvl 40 Blizzard II etc. Magic Knight does not learn Tier III of normal Elemental Black Magic. Magic Knights Magic would be classified as Green Magic.

Strengths - Can wear Heavy Armor. Have lots of HP. Seriously becomes a Good Tank at higher lvls. Magic and Pysical attacking type of Knight. At lvl 60 split attack works if say you use Fire II and Split Blade with the fuse ability on a water type mob? Well instead of the entire attack being useless the mob would take the full dmg from the weapon skill. Vice versa, if the mob is weak to fire but not to physical dmg, it would still take the full fire dmg. Can wear Heavy Armor.

Weaknesses - LOW mp. I mean a Elvaan RDM with no mp gear at lvl 75 low. :lol: Magic SUCKS if not used with the Fuse command. (They only have Tier III magic). Weak against Magic Attacks.

Well what do ya think? The Theme subjob for this would be MKT/BLM to increase the DMG of the MKT. MKT would be a good sub for PLD. I could also see BLM's using MKT as a sub job.
DRK 75, RDM 75, 65 PLD